Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I gathered, he didn't let 'searchers' onto his property. I believe it was Andy. Don't even know if a dog was involved but might've been. How many acres is this property on? I'm thinking 3 or so.
It was a gesture, IMO.
bbm
Yep.
And I can think of what sort of 'gesture' Barry intended.
Sorry, just don't have the 'correct' emoji at this time. :rolleyes:
At least not one that I feel comfortable with copying and pasting here.
Everyone will have to use their imagination. :eek:

@MassGuy - I see and read in the headline of this attached article that AM was threatened by BM, but I do not read that in the body of the article. The body of the article quoted Andy as saying coming across BM shouldering a gun. AM never used the words threaten, and having a gun shouldered in plain sight (open carry) especially on one’s own property in CO is absolutely legal. There was no perceived threat if BM was shouldering a gun, as is stated/quoted in the article.

if you hike/ ATV, fish, camp etc in CO you are quite likely to come across a person carrying a weapon on their person. Commonplace. I’ve seen it dozens of times, often assault rifles- if they are not drawn or brandished or specifically somehow directed to you, it’s not your business. I know this is difficult for non gun owners or anti gun people to comprehend- understandably. If you are not accustomed to firearms and come across someone shouldering an assault rifle it would be jarring, but it’s not a threat. Even if you “feel” it is. That’s your feeling- it’s not the way the laws are currently written in CO.

The headline of that article is either poorly edited or total clickbait- I choose the latter.

The misinformation/misleading information in this case is starting to pile high - gossip is abound. I loathe when this begins. One must be careful what they read and what they repeat -and the source, not everything is reliable. This is a great example. JMO. ;)
There were a couple articles written by different outlets (Fox affiliate and Crime Online).

Regardless of the headline, the articles themselves in no way implied that Barry threatened the searchers. They said that he was armed, and advised them of where the property line was.

The optics were awful. He knew full well that a search was taking place, and he was more concerned about where the searchers went, than what they were trying to do.

Find his missing wife.

So my criticism of him is not that he put people in fear, it’s the fact that he would be concerned about people trespassing on his property in the first place.

Why? Because these people were taking part in a search that Barry himself should have organized months prior. He should have been incredibly grateful, and greeted them with a handshake and his gourmet grilled peanut butter, as opposed to a warning and a gun.

It was a bad look, and showed exactly where his priorities are. “Stay off my lawn!”

Controlling. Tone deaf. Callous.

Last edited:
AM says he was not alone. It would really destroy his credibility if he made that story up.

I see no reason to think AM is lying or that the reporters who printed it are lying, either.

@10ofRods - Yet the headline of the article is blatantly inaccurate. It uses the word threaten- upon reading the quote from AM, he does not say he or anyone was threatened.
So did the reporters who printed it lie? Possibly to get “clicks” or views. Or maybe it was completely ethical and all a complete miscommunication. Who really knows?! The truth is so hard to come by.

@10ofRods - Yet the headline of the article is blatantly inaccurate. It uses the word threaten- upon reading the quote from AM, he does not say he or anyone was threatened.
So did the reporters who printed it lie? Possibly to get “clicks” or views. Or maybe it was completely ethical and all a complete miscommunication. Who really knows?! The truth is so hard to come by.
Really? Carrying around a firearm in view of people who are trying to find your wife isn't threatening? It sure would've been to me, if I'd been able to be there.
I guess you're saying it could be 'fake news'? Or is AM lying? I don't follow.
IMO, the truth is even harder to come by a murderer and those who'd cover for him.
Could you please furnish the headline you speak of? TIA.
JMO

Last edited:
Really? Carrying around a firearm in view of people who are trying to find your wife isn't threatening? It sure would've been to me, if I'd been able to be there.
I guess you're saying it could be 'fake news'? Or is AM lying? I don't follow.
IMO, the truth is even harder to come by a murderer and those who'd cover for him.
Could you please furnish the headline you speak of? TIA.
JMO

@marylamby, I hope I did this correctly- This is the article that another poster added with the headline-

Suzanne Morphew’s brother believes she was a victim of domestic abuse, says Barry Morphew threatened volunteer searchers with a gun on his shoulders | News Break

@MassGuy - I understand what you are communicating here about the average citizen and in this case most of the volunteer searchers involved in this instance having possibly never encountered someone with a firearm. Possibly some never even seeing a firearm before IRL. Many people are horrified of guns and I appreciate that. I posted about this just moments ago (good to know you don’t read my posts, duly noted).

As adults we need to take responsibility for our own feelings and emotions. In Colorado that means seeing people with guns about. Plus in many areas you can actually shoot on your own property or in designated open areas, including where families recreate. Guns and Colorado are copacetic. Maybe that was a bonus to BM, to be able to roam about with his pistola - I don’t know! Sounds right. Coming from IN maybe he thought he was living the Wild West life and often roamed his property with his gun, he is a hunter/outdoorsman. Again, yes the absolute worst optics on that day!

There are many scenarios that can be perceived as threatening, very large man who could pound you into oblivion by shear size, people with large dogs, a person under the influence of drugs or mental health issues, a large group approaching (riot) and for a woman just a single man in a place that is even “safe” she can be overpowered, as maybe Suzanne was in her very own home. Threats exists everywhere in our world. They have become too commonplace, if our adult minds perceived all threats around us daily, we’d perhaps not leave the house. Any lunatic at the store could have a gun and decide to start shooting. I feel this story has been “grown” for clicks and that’s too bad.

I know your dislike of BM is deep, I fully understand that. And I await what is hopefully coming. I’m not trying to excuse or defend here. I do like to present facts that aren’t being discussed.

I’m sorry you’ve had anyone at anytime point a gun at you- terrifying and traumatic. You are lucky to be alive.
Here’s the issue. He was trying to be intimidating. Taken in context, it’s incredibly problematic.

It’s not the law, it’s not what the perception was, it’s the message he was trying to convey. So it’s the message that’s incredibly bad.

I expected this to happen, because I know the type of person Barry is.

Controlling.

As for me, I may or may not have lipped off to a cop when someone we kicked out a frat party came back with a sawed off shotgun.

I also may or may not have kicked the hat (cover as we call it) out of a Marine’s hands in Afghanistan.

I wasn’t scared, and that’s the point.

Context.

Here’s the issue. He was trying to be intimidating. Taken in context, it’s incredibly problematic.

It’s not the law, it’s not what the perception was, it’s the message he was trying to convey. So it’s the message that’s incredibly bad.

I expected this to happen, because I know the type of person Barry is.

Controlling.

As for me, I may or may not have lipped off to a cop when someone we kicked out a frat party came back with a sawed off shotgun.

I also may or may not have kicked the hat (cover as we call it) out of a Marine’s hands in Afghanistan.

I wasn’t scared, and that’s the point.

Context.

Yes! To so much above. I expected BM to be present and annoying at PP that day too, it’s who he is. I would have hoped the searchers they sent there were briefed on this scenario or any possible outcome and to be prepared for anything. Actually I was surprised LE wasn’t there in some capacity to ensure no conflict.

We simply cannot ascertain his purpose, we can guess. Still doesn’t make his actions illicit. Even if his passive aggressive whacko intent was “I’m going to put on my gun to be big and scary and full creeper” He could have dressed in camo and painted his face to go full nuts too, but he didn’t. He certainly wasn’t trying to be cool.

Yeah, I know what type of person Barry is too, Ive dated “Barry’s”- <modsnip>

Anyhow, no one would ever believe that the almighty @MassGuy would be scared - come to Colorado, straighten out this case!!! Or go looking for BM is Salida/PS -I did, it was a bust, but you bet your butt I would have talked to him if I saw him. I don’t know if he’s out and about. I saw the large banners but was bummed that I saw not one sign in a store or restaurant in town. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that’s a good analysis. What do you think he was trying to accomplish?

I think he knew there were going to be searchers and camera crews a-plenty around. The trail cams were to catch people who were taking pictures of him, the kids, the house, etc... so he could have the photos taken down should they appear anywhere. The gun may have been for snakes for all I know... but he reacted in a defensive manner and assumed the aforementioned posture as not to invite conversation of any sort.

ETA: MOO, of course.

I'd classify BM's behavior that day as antagonistically passive-aggressive.
I didn't pay attention enough, when I just opened a thread, if I had clicked on Abby/Libby Delphi/IN or Suzanne's case, because I'm hopping from here to there several times a day. When I read your comment, I thought: oh yes, maybe one could classify BG's behavior that day that way .............. until I noticed, I'm here on Suzanne's thread and you are speaking of BM of course.

I think you are missing the point....BM obviously has the legal right to keep others off his property. "The others" who were out there, were busting their humps trying to find HIS wife! If BM were smart and a decent man/husband, he would have had come outside and offered everyone water, snacks and refreshments as a "thank you". Moreover, he could have made a statement as to how grateful he is that so many people care for his missing wife. JMO

You'd be 100% correct if Barry hadn't already been the subject of suspicion, scorn & threats for months. Now, the great majority of the searchers acted out of noble aspirations, but it only takes 1 person with malice to cause harm. Given that Barry has been the target of suspicion on social media, I don't think that wariness on his part is unreasonable.

That being said, I do think that Barry should have put the trail cams up months before the search. He should've installed perimeter alarms as well.

@MassGuy - I understand what you are communicating here about the average citizen and in this case most of the volunteer searchers involved in this instance having possibly never encountered someone with a firearm. Possibly some never even seeing a firearm before IRL. Many people are horrified of guns and I appreciate that. I posted about this just moments ago (good to know you don’t read my posts, duly noted).

As adults we need to take responsibility for our own feelings and emotions. In Colorado that means seeing people with guns about. Plus in many areas you can actually shoot on your own property or in designated open areas, including where families recreate. Guns and Colorado are copacetic. Maybe that was a bonus to BM, to be able to roam about with his pistola - I don’t know! Sounds right. Coming from IN maybe he thought he was living the Wild West life and often roamed his property with his gun, he is a hunter/outdoorsman. Again, yes the absolute worst optics on that day!

There are many scenarios that can be perceived as threatening, very large man who could pound you into oblivion by shear size, people with large dogs, a person under the influence of drugs or mental health issues, a large group approaching (riot) and for a woman just a single man in a place that is even “safe” she can be overpowered, as maybe Suzanne was in her very own home. Threats exists everywhere in our world. They have become too commonplace, if our adult minds perceived all threats around us daily, we’d perhaps not leave the house. Any lunatic at the store could have a gun and decide to start shooting. I feel this story has been “grown” for clicks and that’s too bad.

I know your dislike of BM is deep, I fully understand that. And I await what is hopefully coming. I’m not trying to excuse or defend here. I do like to present facts that aren’t being discussed.

I’m sorry you’ve had anyone at anytime point a gun at you- terrifying and traumatic. You are lucky to be alive.

RSBM:
Threats exists everywhere in our world. They have become too commonplace, if our adult minds perceived all threats around us daily, we’d perhaps not leave the house.“

If only.

The stark reality is that the biggest threat to many women is the person that sleeps next to them.

Women face the greatest danger in their own homes. How many women’s lives would have been saved, if only they would have perceived the threat earlier, and left the house in time.

jmo

Last edited:
Here is my unasked for take on the article headlined ‘Barry threatened searchers‘.

Personally, I interpreted the article as he was intimidating searchers. Didn’t get the feeling he verbally threatened anyone. Maybe it was a clickbait title, but the report itself was not confusing.

As to fearing people carrying guns. It’s about context. If I’m hiking in the woods and encounter a person with a rifle, I assume they are small game hunting, if in season. Otherwise, it’s for personal protection.

But if I’m hosting a children’s party at an urban McDonald’s and someone comes in with a rifle over their shoulder, my mind goes to a mass shooter. That’s not unreasonable or overly fearful by me. It’s just common sense.

During the search, unarmed citizens were searching for a missing woman. To encounter the very husband of the person I am searching for carrying a rifle would be alarming to me, at the very least. I would feel intimidated.

The husband was within his rights to open carry. Searchers were within their rights to report what they saw. The media was within their rights to make it a story. And we can discuss it here to infinity.

It is what it is.

jmo

Here is my unasked for take on the article headlined ‘Barry threatened searchers‘.

Personally, I interpreted the article as he was intimidating searchers. Didn’t get the feeling he verbally threatened anyone. Maybe it was a clickbait title, but the report itself was not confusing.

As to fearing people carrying guns. It’s about context. If I’m hiking in the woods and encounter a person with a rifle, I assume they are small game hunting, if in season. Otherwise, it’s for personal protection.

But if I’m hosting a children’s party at an urban McDonald’s and someone comes in with a rifle over their shoulder, my mind goes to a mass shooter. That’s not unreasonable or overly fearful by me. It’s just common sense.

During the search, unarmed citizens were searching for a missing woman. To encounter the very husband of the person I am searching for carrying a rifle would be alarming to me, at the very least. I would feel intimidated.

The husband was within his rights to open carry. Searchers were within their rights to report what they saw. The media was within their rights to make it a story. And we can discuss it here to infinity.

It is what it is.

jmo
I agree with everything you said.
It is odd isn't it?

What was the purpose of Barry’s gun? Was he hunting? Did he have it in case he encountered a wild animal? Was it to appear threatening?

If Barry carried a gun when he went on walks such as the one where he was spotted by a cleaning lady at the dumpster with Suzanne, then I would say he was not “threatening”. If he did not normally carry a gun while roaming around their acreage, then I think he used it as a perceived threat.

What was the purpose of Barry’s gun? Was he hunting? Did he have it in case he encountered a wild animal? Was it to appear threatening?

If Barry carried a gun when he went on walks such as the one where he was spotted by a cleaning lady at the dumpster with Suzanne, then I would say he was not “threatening”. If he did not normally carry a gun while roaming around their acreage, then I think he used it as a perceived threat.
I agree. But threaten to what? Kill another person?

It is what it is.

jmo

Well stated.
I mean, it wasn't like he had a dozen cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles, or brightly colored balloons slung over his shoulder. He did what he did to create the optics of an intimidating presence to anyone that saw him. Intentionally. And, since folks are still discussing it weeks later, it sure looks like it worked.

jmo

I have been to Salida many times and have a friend in town, Hence my extra interest in this case beyond the horror of a beautiful Mother missing on Mothers Day. I've been reading most of the threads as they come out. Taking a step back and thinking with Occam's razor in my mind. BM has stirred the pot at every turn. Simply stated, He had the most to gain from Susanne's disappearance and has done so. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23