Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we head into the Thanksgiving holiday, my heart goes out to Andy. What a horrible burden and sadness he must feel. The disappearance of Suzanne that remains unsolved and the recent death of his father. I hope he is surrounded by other friends and family, if not in person, at least in spirit.

Here's hoping Sheriff Spezze lands the biggest turkey in all of Chaffee County in 2020!

I thought I read that the Morphew's did not have a mortgage on Puma Path While the listing for sale still appears on several real estate websites, the original listing agency does not show it on their site. I have included one of the agencies showing Western Mtn. as the listing agency. I don't know what this means.
www.compass.com/listing/19057-puma-path-salida...
19057 Puma Path is a single family home for sale in Salida, CO 81242. This property was listed for sale on October 5, 2020 by Western Mtn Real Estate at $1,759,000. This listing's school district is Salida R-32 School District.

I thought I read that the Morphew's did not have a mortgage on Puma Path While the listing for sale still appears on several real estate websites, the original listing agency does not show it on their site. I have included one of the agencies showing Western Mtn. as the listing agency. I don't know what this means.
www.compass.com/listing/19057-puma-path-salida...
19057 Puma Path is a single family home for sale in Salida, CO 81242. This property was listed for sale on October 5, 2020 by Western Mtn Real Estate at $1,759,000. This listing's school district is Salida R-32 School District.

Ah, they're pretty smart, they won't be depending on my longshots. Thanks all the same tho'.

It's unlikely he would have used the house well if he'd planned on selling it which I imagine he had.
It may be a thing of no consequence at all. The bleach.
Grasping at straws here, which I tend to do a lot.

I felt a deep sadness while looking at the photographs of her home, the kitchen she used to cook, the sink, the floors, the beauty of the views.
It was HER home.
Whoever 'took' her stole that with her life.

Here's hoping they don't ever get to enjoy the spoils of their evil.

If the house is for sale, slim chance she is buried at the property.

somewhere between the house and 1st destination where the soil is softer.

RSBBM. The things I learn on Websleuths! :eek:

(Might come in handy one day. Bwa ha ha - evil laugh!)

Interestingly, I was looking for HCl...but learned a lot about bleach on Google.

My Google trail (“would HCl dissolve a body”?) is looking peculiar to say the least.

But honestly, I think he was cleaning the drains from some organic matter, this is where it all would work.

Where do the drains go? And, if LE looks at where the smell was the strongest...

Possible Sunday scenario:

Dumps contaminated clothing and clean up materials that he transported in trash bags or a large cooler, in random dumpsters. Did he bury Suzanne in the cooler (a double edged sword) or did he break it up into smaller pieces and dispose of it in multiple locations too?

Swings by the jobsite briefly while it is early and there are less people around to observe him, since he doesn't have the proper permit to be working there on a Sunday.

Checks into the hotel and brings the tools from his truck into the room to get them out of the way and protect them from corrosion or collecting evidence when he washes out the bed of his truck and tool box (if it had one).

Goes to self serve car wash to wash his truck, pouring bleach/chlorine in the bed to obliterate any evidence.

Returns to the hotel, introducing the bleach/chlorine odor to the room. He showers, naps and bides his time, mentally rehearsing his alibi and talking points.

If he washed the tools that were left in the hotel room, IMO the towels left on the floor would have showed signs of dirt or rust despite the bleach and maybe they did but no one mentioned it?

By the time LE had the EVI information from his truck, dumpsters would have been emptied, etc. and he could say he was driving around looking for a place to get breakfast, picked up take out and stopped somewhere else to eat it.

MOO

Possible Sunday scenario:

Dumps contaminated clothing and clean up materials that he transported in trash bags or a large cooler, in random dumpsters. Did he bury Suzanne in the cooler (a double edged sword) or did he break it up into smaller pieces and dispose of it in multiple locations too?

Swings by the jobsite briefly while it is early and there are less people around to observe him, since he doesn't have the proper permit to be working there on a Sunday.

Checks into the hotel and brings the tools from his truck into the room to get them out of the way and protect them from corrosion or collecting evidence when he washes out the bed of his truck and tool box (if it had one).

Goes to self serve car wash to wash his truck, pouring bleach/chlorine in the bed to obliterate any evidence.

Returns to the hotel, introducing the bleach/chlorine odor to the room. He showers, naps and bides his time, mentally rehearsing his alibi and talking points.

If he washed the tools that were left in the hotel room, IMO the towels left on the floor would have showed signs of dirt or rust despite the bleach and maybe they did but no one mentioned it?

By the time LE had the EVI information from his truck, dumpsters would have been emptied, etc. and he could say he was driving around looking for a place to get breakfast, picked up take out and stopped somewhere else to eat it.

MOO

Very good scenario, IMO. Probably, multiple ones.

Interestingly, I was looking for HCl...but learned a lot about bleach on Google.

My Google trail (“would HCl dissolve a body”?) is looking peculiar to say the least.

But honestly, I think he was cleaning the drains from some organic matter, this is where it all would work.

Where do the drains go? And, if LE looks at where the smell was the strongest...
The drains flow into a holding tank, the solid materials stay in the tank and the liquid goes into a drain field aka leech field via perforated pipe which looks like the tines of a pitchfork turned on its side, although only one line is active at a time. Every few years the solid waste is pumped out of the tank.

It is interesting to note that in the the latest CCSO press release: Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff - that Sheriff S said that while working closely with both the FBI and CSI they are also working closely with the 11th Judicial District. Also, the only county KT had more votes that her opponent, LS was Chaffee County. I seem to remember that the Sheriff S did not endorse KT. Hopefully with the new DA there will be some movement on this case.

Chaffee County Results

Linda Stanley (R) — 6,339
Kaitlin Turner (D) — 6,735

Great post! Yes, i feel pretty good about the new DA based on what i read on here and some basic research i did a while back. She seems like more of a go getter... at least on paper. Time will tell, but i feel its a definite improvement if i may say so. She has prosecution experience and worked in law enforcement as a police officer.

Location of Remains. Septic Tank?
IMO any future buyer.... the septic is usually inspected and pumped before closing.
@Hair of the Dog sbm Yes, I understand inspection/pumping the septic tank at a residential property before closing is a common practice or best practice, but have not find confirmation that CO. requires it. I just did quickie searches and skimmed,* coulda missed it.

If someone placed a dead body in a home septic tank, I wonder --- would an ordinary, routine pumping or inspection detect the presence of the remains? Over the years I recall several homicides w bodies found in septic tanks, but IIRC, they were located after LE had specific reason to search tanks, like a killer's confession or a witness who saw signs of freshly opened tank. my2cts.

* CO: Seller's Prop. Disclosure* form, page 8, used in Colorado home sales has blanks for seller to disclose date of latest septic inspection and date of latest septic system pumping. Sellers Property Disclosure (Residential) (SPD19) writable.pdf
This CO. Contract residential form does not seem to require septic dumping in a specific pre-closing time period.
Contract to Buy and Sell, Residential.pdf

BTW, I'm aware of one state, NM, requiring septic tank to be emptied w'in 6 mo's before sale closes. Still leaves open the question of whether routine pumping/emptying would detects remains. Septic System Contingency form's pages 1 & 2 (p. 79 of pdf).
https://nebula.wsimg.com/78a3fc225a...C0F9D704834C33B7D1&disposition=0&alloworigin=

Great post! Yes, i feel pretty good about the new DA based on what i read on here and some basic research i did a while back. She seems like more of a go getter... at least on paper. Time will tell, but i feel its a definite improvement if i may say so. She has prosecution experience and worked in law enforcement as a police officer.
The outgoing DA specialized in defending police from lawsuits. I am sure either would be good if the evidence is there.

The outgoing DA specialized in defending police from lawsuits. I am sure either would be good if the evidence is there.

Great point @Boxer! I just think that people have different comfort levels with prosecuting no body cases and it looks more and more like a no body case. But yes, i, of course, can't be 100% sure that the new DA is more aggressive and effective. But I am hopeful... :)

“Jeff Puckett, described in the report as Barry Morphew’s co-worker, told the Daily Mail that Barry ordered him to go to Broomfield as Morphew had to return to Chafee County for a family emergency. Puckett, who lives in Salida, Colorado, told the news outlet that when he arrived to the hotel room where Barry Morphew had been staying, he found towels and a pile of mail, and said the room smelled of chlorine.”

Missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew stayed at hotel the weekend she disappeared; room left full of towels and smelled of chlorine [REPORT]

So strange that BM ordered him there. I still can’t get over the resemblance of JP to BM at least from afar and from a camera angle. I think many of us thought it was a smaller version of BM when we first saw JP and bells started going off.

This still kinda bothers me that he chose him and ordered him to go to the hotel. Could he have done this in preplanning just in case to make sure a BM look alike was in the hotel if exact times didn’t coincide or to blame him if something wasn’t exactly right or someone got caught doing something along the way. I don’t know maybe I’m way off here but it seems so strange to me. He just looks so similar like he was chosen for this task .. maybe even “ordered” to do it.

Attachments

• 9CD5DDDB-6C7E-4D7F-9DC0-76F59C5741B8.jpeg
    9CD5DDDB-6C7E-4D7F-9DC0-76F59C5741B8.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 97
“Jeff Puckett, described in the report as Barry Morphew’s co-worker, told the Daily Mail that Barry ordered him to go to Broomfield as Morphew had to return to Chafee County for a family emergency. Puckett, who lives in Salida, Colorado, told the news outlet that when he arrived to the hotel room where Barry Morphew had been staying, he found towels and a pile of mail, and said the room smelled of chlorine.”

Missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew stayed at hotel the weekend she disappeared; room left full of towels and smelled of chlorine [REPORT]

So strange that BM ordered him there. I still can’t get over the resemblance of JP to BM at least from afar and from a camera angle. I think many of us thought it was a smaller version of BM when we first saw JP and bells started going off.

This still kinda bothers me that he chose him and ordered him to go to the hotel. Could he have done this in preplanning just in case to make sure a BM look alike was in the hotel if exact times didn’t coincide or to blame him if something wasn’t exactly right or someone got caught doing something along the way. I don’t know maybe I’m way off here but it seems so strange to me. He just looks so similar like he was chosen for this task .. maybe even “ordered” to do it.
That wording "ordered" always bothered me. He wasn't dependent on Barry for his living. Nor was there any reason to be beholding to Barry. They had only just met that Saturday, as far as we know. How does someone "Order" someone they hardly know to do something? Barry might have pressured JP. If that's the case I would believe that JP was being "Set up" as a fall guy. Things didn't go as planned.

Last edited:
That wording "ordered" always bothered me. He wasn't dependent on Barry for his living. Nor was there any reason to be beholding to Barry. They had only just met that Saturday, as far as we know. How does someone "Order" someone they hardly know to do something? Barry might have pressured JP. If that's the case I would believe that JP was being "Set up" as a fall guy. Things didn't go as planned.
I agree. It sounds embellished as does several of the alleged conversations.

I don't think he ever used his truck to transport her. Plenty of places nearby, accessible by other means.

I'd think maybe his hunting place. But not in the area where people might easily start digging. And this he, as the contractor, knows, where and how people decide to renovate and remodel. I'd cross them out. Other things, what to do with the body, where to hide it, how to ...mmm...process, he may not know this well. After all, I doubt it is his n-th escapade. So he might make mistakes. I also think he studied some cases, maybe KB's.

Location of Remains. Septic Tank?
@Hair of the Dog sbm Yes, I understand inspection/pumping the septic tank at a residential property before closing is a common practice or best practice, but have not find confirmation that CO. requires it. I just did quickie searches and skimmed,* coulda missed it.

If someone placed a dead body in a home septic tank, I wonder --- would an ordinary, routine pumping or inspection detect the presence of the remains? Over the years I recall several homicides w bodies found in septic tanks, but IIRC, they were located after LE had specific reason to search tanks, like a killer's confession or a witness who saw signs of freshly opened tank. my2cts.

RSBM

An ordinary routine pumping would be very very unlikely to turn up human remains. I think it would take specific tests to find human remains and separate them from other by-products of human waste.

I don't think LE has to have specific reasons to look into a septic tank if they can get a general search warrant.

We don't know if they have done that or not.

I agree that BM probably did not use his vehicle to transport SM from the residence.

In one of the earlier PE videos, CM made some random comment about vehicles in the driveway that BM did not own (i.e., more clue speak).

Initially, I thought CM might be referring to SM's vehicle but since her vehicle was inside the garage, I now believe this clue relates to an older model vehicle predating GPS and/or a computer module. I also think BM was careful to use a vehicle that would not readily be traced back to him. It's probably back in another county or State now.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members