Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is understandable, at least for me. If they were discussing his wife missing, bike found, etc, bringing up something that he did to a piece of equipment that might be as an ordinary thing I can’t see as being needed to bring up until they asked. It’s not necessarily nefarious.
It seems a little more suspicious though when you add the loud noise that sounded like a machine or equipment (Bobcat??) running heard at the construction site late at night by the neighbor on MD weekend. IMO

It seems a little more suspicious though when you add the loud noise that sounded like a machine or equipment (Bobcat??) running heard at the construction site late at night by the neighbor on MD weekend. IMO
Well nothing was found there. Machinery was heard that could have been anything run by anyone. She’s not even sure what night it was. The job site is a red herring imo.

Well nothing was found there. Machinery was heard that could have been anything run by anyone. She’s not even sure what night it was. The job site is a red herring imo.
I had thought about it being a red herring also, but I don’t believe that is the case for two reasons.
1). I don’t think BM was crafty enough to pull it off. He seemed to be in panic mode running around in the middle of the night.
2). The big one for me: time constraints. He had limited time to dispose of a body, get rid of evidence, clean up a crime scene. I don’t think he had an extra half hour just to go somewhere and make noise as a diversion.
This thought process has me feeling that something, I don’t know what exactly, connected to this case, went on at the Salida job site.
He either buried something in the beach area, (or somewhere else on that property), or he swapped off a Bobcat attachment because he needed a different type of attachment to dispose of a body/evidence or the attachment he already used had evidence on it and he wanted if off his own Bobcat.
BM admitted he told the police the wrong time he did a “mechanical thing” to his Bobcat. He chalked it up to the stress of his missing wife. I think he intentionally lied and LE confronted him with that lie based on cell or GPS data.
Interestingly, LE never provided information about catching him in a lie, it was BM himself that brought it up and mentioned the Bobcat. I think it was weighing on him that he screwed up.
MOO

I don’t know how we would know that for sure.

Forget about BM for a moment. I’m interested in who SM was interacting with on the social media apps named by CCSO in their press release, as an example. Was that person(s) at the home or around the home when she went missing? Did a known person to the family stop over after BM left for the day? Did someone stop at the house looking for BM? Did SM offer to help someone that day? IMO

edit- spelling
Those are great points !

I had thought about it being a red herring also, but I don’t believe that is the case for two reasons.
1). I don’t think BM was crafty enough to pull it off. He seemed to be in panic mode running around in the middle of the night.
2). The big one for me: time constraints. He had limited time to dispose of a body, get rid of evidence, clean up a crime scene. I don’t think he had an extra half hour just to go somewhere and make noise as a diversion.
This thought process has me feeling that something, I don’t know what exactly, connected to this case, went on at the Salida job site.
He either buried something in the beach area, (or somewhere else on that property), or he swapped off a Bobcat attachment because he needed a different type of attachment to dispose of a body/evidence or the attachment he already used had evidence on it and he wanted if off his own Bobcat.
BM admitted he told the police the wrong time he did a “mechanical thing” to his Bobcat. He chalked it up to the stress of his missing wife. I think he intentionally lied and LE confronted him with that lie based on cell or GPS data.
Interestingly, LE never provided information about catching him in a lie, it was BM himself that brought it up and mentioned the Bobcat. I think it was weighing on him that he screwed up.
MOO

I've been thinking bout the bobcat and the "mechanical thing" short of swapping something out as it may have contained evidence, I wondered what else BM may have done to it - was it suspiciously clean or had been recently cleaned for example. Of course probably no relevance, but it made me think of what the underneath of the bobcat could reveal.

ebm

MOO
I agree with you, I think he got confronted and just to try to make himself look less guilty he publicly states an excuse for lying about his timeline that night . I think the woman heard him and I think he was using it to assist with his crime .
I think he had from midnight until around 4:00 am . I agree with you he was frantic , he didn’t brilliantly get away with anything. LE is waiting to make sure that when they grab him no matter the amount of money he has , or excuses wont get him out .

moo

We don’t know if anything was found there or not. I think it is safe to say a body or pieces of a body were not found but that does not mean that significant evidence was not found.

MOO

Related to the digging up of the Salida job site; do you have any thoughts as to why the CBI/FBI were so precise with their dig?

if I recall, they cut through a roughly 3x3 space in the concrete slab and dug down from there. IMO, that wasn’t just a wild goose hunt.

I’d have to assume either GPS coordinates of a phone or underground radar ping lead them to such an accurate place.

I’d love your opinion as you have a better perspective than my amateur web sleuth perspective.

I don’t know how we would know that for sure.

Forget about BM for a moment. I’m interested in who SM was interacting with on the social media apps named by CCSO in their press release, as an example. Was that person(s) at the home or around the home when she went missing? Did a known person to the family stop over after BM left for the day? Did someone stop at the house looking for BM? Did SM offer to help someone that day? IMO

edit- spelling

What is interesting is that the apps CCSO listed are for individual or group communication.

They didn’t mention emails or phone calls or Facebook records.

Instead, they mentioned apps that IMO, are used to communicate in a somewhat secretive way (data encryption, etc...).

So, for whatever reason, SM had a need to communicate with individuals that LE has not been able to identify through their investigation and the content of those communications was important for SM to conceal.

Very intriguing.

I wonder how tight knit the industry BM works in is? Like, would he know of friends’ bobcats that could be used in a pinch? Could BM have taken his bobcat from the Salida job site, used it in the disposal of a body, then taken that bobcat to another job site, swapped it for someone else’s bobcat and then brought the clean bobcat back to the Salida site?

We don’t know if anything was found there or not. I think it is safe to say a body or pieces of a body were not found but that does not mean that significant evidence was not found.
It’s been a while, but iirc Sheriff Spezze when asked after the Salida job site dig if LE found anything related to SM, he responded, “not at this time.” Not verbatim. I wonder if anyone has asked him that question since that time?

It’s been a while, but iirc Sheriff Spezze when asked after the Salida job site dig if LE found anything related to SM, he responded, “not at this time.” Not verbatim. I wonder if anyone has asked him that question since that time?

Good point. If I recall that was immediately after the dig and the assumption was that it gave some leeway to lab analysis or other investigative techniques that would occur after the dig.

My thoughts exactly @OldCop re the construction site not being a red herring. BM himself admitting that he forgot to tell LE what time he did something mechanical to his Bobcat seemed like a guilty “tell.” ITA that BM was in complete panic mode and what he did there remains to be seen but there is an important connection! I only hope we find out one day.

I have always wondered if something was missed at the construction site even after the three day excavation by the FBI. Maybe something WAS buried there but not in that exact location under the concrete where they dug? Perhaps by the river near where the scent dog was showing interest? MG said BM was acting weird on Saturday and asked her to rake the beach flat and then sent her home early etc. If neighbor heard noise late Friday/early Saturday am then maybe SM was killed Friday? But if BM was outside MG’s house at 4 am Sunday/MD morning and then texting the crew before dawn about the Broomfield job and MG said he sounded like “he had the worst night of his life” then that makes me think SM was killed on Saturday. I’m not sure how to reconcile those two different days when BM was exhibiting weird or nervous behavior. Was SM texting her friend on Saturday or was it BM impersonating her? I wouldn’t be surprised if Suzanne was killed on Friday and BM hid her body temporarily until he came up with a better disposal plan and then went back to retrieve and move her to a safer location. I wish we knew if Suzanne was actually seen by a reliable witness getting a sandwich in town on Saturday.

It’s like an extremely challenging jigsaw puzzle and we are missing some crucial pieces that we need. Have you ever been trying to work a puzzle but a few pieces have fallen on the floor and gotten swept under a rug or furniture - or the dog eats them? :D You know you are close but can’t figure out how to put it all together yet and IMO the noise at the construction site is an important piece that is missing - but we can sort of see the outline of the space where it goes. I have faith that LE will eventually be able to fit everything together to complete the big picture...and then finally there will be an arrest and justice for Suzanne!!

I've been thinking bout the bobcat and the "mechanical thing" short of swapping something out as it may have contained evidence, I wondered what else BM may have done to it - was it suspiciously clean or had been recently cleaned for example. Of course probably no relevance, but it made me think of what the underneath of the bobcat could reveal.

ebm
Good points, @Lyanna. My concern is that they didn’t search the Salida site until a couple of weeks later. Of course a good forensics team can come up with a minuscule piece of evidence in some little nook or crannie but the chain of evidence line gets blurry. Who used it in the meantime? A good defense attorney will ask that question.

My thoughts exactly @OldCop re the construction site not being a red herring. BM himself admitting that he forgot to tell LE what time he did something mechanical to his Bobcat seemed like a guilty “tell.” ITA that BM was in complete panic mode and what he did there remains to be seen but there is an important connection! I only hope we find out one day.

I have always wondered if something was missed at the construction site even after the three day excavation by the FBI. Maybe something WAS buried there but not in that exact location under the concrete where they dug? Perhaps by the river near where the scent dog was showing interest? MG said BM was acting weird on Saturday and asked her to rake the beach flat and then sent her home early etc. If neighbor heard noise late Friday/early Saturday am then maybe SM was killed Friday? But if BM was outside MG’s house at 4 am Sunday/MD morning and then texting the crew before dawn about the Broomfield job and MG said he sounded like “he had the worst night of his life” then that makes me think SM was killed on Saturday. I’m not sure how to reconcile those two different days when BM was exhibiting weird or nervous behavior. Was SM texting her friend on Saturday or was it BM impersonating her? I wouldn’t be surprised if Suzanne was killed on Friday and BM hid her body temporarily until he came up with a better disposal plan and then went back to retrieve and move her to a safer location. I wish we knew if Suzanne was actually seen by a reliable witness getting a sandwich in town on Saturday.

It’s like an extremely challenging jigsaw puzzle and we are missing some crucial pieces that we need. Have you ever been trying to work a puzzle but a few pieces have fallen on the floor and gotten swept under a rug or furniture - or the dog eats them? :D You know you are close but can’t figure out how to put it all together yet and IMO the noise at the construction site is an important piece that is missing - but we can sort of see the outline of the space where it goes. I have faith that LE will eventually be able to fit everything together to complete the big picture...and then finally there will be an arrest and justice for Suzanne!!

Regarding something being missed at the Salida job site. LE never dug in or around the beach area did they?

If not, I wonder if budget for the investigation was a concern. There is no telling how expensive it was for them to dig up the concrete slab. If that search didn’t produce the desired results and then they’d have to justify spending more money to dig on the same property, that could have been a big obstacle.

I wonder how tight knit the industry BM works in is? Like, would he know of friends’ bobcats that could be used in a pinch? Could BM have taken his bobcat from the Salida job site, used it in the disposal of a body, then taken that bobcat to another job site, swapped it for someone else’s bobcat and then brought the clean bobcat back to the Salida site?
Thats a good point, but I think they would be able to check it with a vin number or some type of number that would be able to tell who's exactly it was? I just dont think he had a lot of time between midnight and 4. I don't think Suzanne's DNA would be on his even he used it. I think he placed her in something and she was most likely wrapped.

When they find her, whoever did this will have touch DNA all over it. They will be done, i would hope if he is responsible he knows this, and will do the right thing. I mean why put your daughters through more???!

MOO

MOO

Related to the digging up of the Salida job site; do you have any thoughts as to why the CBI/FBI were so precise with their dig?

if I recall, they cut through a roughly 3x3 space in the concrete slab and dug down from there. IMO, that wasn’t just a wild goose hunt.

I’d have to assume either GPS coordinates of a phone or underground radar ping lead them to such an accurate place.

I’d love your opinion as you have a better perspective than my amateur web sleuth perspective.
My guess is that it was ground penetrating radar, GPR, that led them to the spot. I believe the concrete was poured on Monday or Tuesday. The GPR will show what looks like disturbed area beneath the concrete. I am not surprised that LE zeroed in on the concrete pour. How convenient that the husband of a missing woman had access to that job site, was responsible for prepping the dirt, and the concrete was poured within a day or two of the disappearance. LE likely didn’t even know in the first few days that BM was working at that site.

Barry would have absolutely no reason to go to that particular job site that night and use his machine. I mean Barry, you had a job that was "months" in the making right? Why you got the hotel and were paying good money for help??

I mean i am not buying anything that he is selling.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member