Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lingering questions in no particular order:
1. The last time SM was spoken to via phone, FT or in person.
2. Why the neighbor called 911 after being asked to check on SM. Did she find the bike (there is a footbridge on the residence property) or something else that was unusual at their home?
3. Is the tape as seen by helicopter video crime scene or caution? Are they one in the same? In the Zillow posting from 2018 the home appears to have the hardscaping in place. IMO So, if you have 7 acres and no visible neighbors, why would you (As the homeowner) place the tape on the property? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19057-Puma-Path-Salida-CO-81201/96847591_zpid/
4. Why have we not heard from TN in over a week? now has a new beneficiary?
5. Have any family on SM’s side been heard from? Do we know TN is her relative and not a relative from BM?
6. The building permits at current site were issued as a mechanical and as a plumbing permit from both the individual and a possible family member’s plumbing business? (The friend BM is staying with during the investigation).
7. Did I hear (hard to decipher) a neighbor say that they took video of the site on Mother’s Day and on 5-11 because they were struck by how early people were at the building site doing construction? Anyone have a link to that call?
8. Is the S-D-T property of LE or the homeowners where it is currently parked?
9. Why aren’t they preserving the site after they leave with tents (as previously posed)? If what they are looking for will be detected by sifter, it would seem they would want a systematic approach? Rain, wind, helicopters, wind etc. could prove harmful to the evidence investigation.
10. What has struck me is that most everything in MSM has been revealed by BM side of the family and nothing from SM’s side? Any insight here that I’ve missed?
All MOO.

I've been on plenty of digs where there was no cover (particularly in urban archaeology digs required by environmental impact statements - and those are public archaeologists who are working there).

I suppose since the early 2000's, it's become a bit more common, but you can watch all kinds of current archaeology videos where there's no cover. But in a small site with something know to be super delicate, I agree there might be cover (Arlington Springs Man took weeks to get out of their burial spot along with context, no cover there - it was a damp site but also very windy). It was sort of a ravine-cliff side spot. You can see a picture of it on Wikipedia. I think it really varies (and I don't think they were looking for unfired clay or anything like that).

Surely they used GDR in advance and found some artifact or deformity in the ground?

I think they were worried about drones seeing a body and upsetting the daughters, frankly.

BTW, anyone know if they are really out there again today? Regular radar on wunderground shows it raining.

Here's a dig (UK) similar to one I worked near Athens:

And I've been at a private dig in Colorado (professionals leading, but no public funding). No covering there either. It was, however, in the middle of a hot summer.
Excellent and interesting post!

I live in the CO mountains about an hour north of SM. It is quite common to have unpaved roads in the mountains, even in populated areas. Especially once you get outside of city limits. And houses are typically spread out on some acreage...that's the appeal of mountain living. However, based on the photos and maps other posters have provided, the Morphew house appears to be visible from Hwy 50, which is a busy arterial road beween Salida/Buena Vista and Crested Butte (a tourist destination). It's also just 7 miles from the Hwy 50/Hwy 285 interchange. I wouldn't call it remote but, then, up here we have a different definition for "remote."
So I went to Google Earth and drove up and down that road and could not see that house or even the house that is closest to the road. I’m assuming the driver who takes the views is filming from the height of his vehicle ... but I don’t live there so these views may not be the same as what you can see.

Attachments

• C182BCE7-F011-4E0D-B5FD-E2DFDBC06077.jpeg
    C182BCE7-F011-4E0D-B5FD-E2DFDBC06077.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 5163EDE0-5D13-46C5-A650-0F1D05110EF7.jpeg
    5163EDE0-5D13-46C5-A650-0F1D05110EF7.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 77
So I went to Google Earth and drove up and down that road and could not see that house or even the house that is closest to the road. I’m assuming the driver who takes the views is filming from the height of his vehicle ... but I don’t live there so these views may not be the same as what you can see.
There was an earlier poster who uploaded a photo of the house as seen from Hwy 50. But even in the aerial photo you provide, you can see how close the Hwy is. It's a large (two or three story) house.

I suppose I just thought that a millionaire would PAY for searchers and volunteers to get his precious wife back ... I know I would if a loved one was missing ... and didn’t someone say “whatever it takes to get her back?” Obviously paying for searchers wasn’t included in that statement.

If my loved one went missing, and I had wads of cash to offer up for rewards, I'd also pay for the needs of volunteer searchers.
But, that's me, and that's assuming I had wads of cash to burn through.
We don't know if BM has that kind of money laying around, despite what he offered as a reward, or despite how much his house is worth, or even if he knew of or approved of his nephew creating a Fund Me account.

Last edited:
Yep. Mountain lion attacks are extremely rare. They happen, but victims are usually children (lions prefer to go for smaller prey rather than full-sized adults). Granted, they've been known to chase mountain bikers...probably because the movement of the bike triggers the predator response. But mostly they are elusive and stay away from people.
good to know! lol

There was an earlier poster who uploaded a photo of the house as seen from Hwy 50. But even in the aerial photo you provide, you can see how close the Hwy is. It's a large (two or three story) house.
It appears from the road that there are large mounds in front of the homes between them and highway ... I wish I could find the photo you’re talking about, it bugs me when I imagine I can go somewhere in Google Earth and I’m not getting the correct information or views! We live on 23 acres and our house sits back a 1/4 of mile and nobody can see our house from the highway except in dead of winter when leaves are gone ... but those are evergreens right?

"10. What has struck me is that most everything in MSM has been revealed by BM side of the family and nothing from SM’s side? Any insight here that I’ve missed?
All MOO."

Good Point and I haven't seen that concern posted anywhere on this thread until now.

It appears from the road that there are large mounds in front of the homes between them and highway ... I wish I could find the photo you’re talking about, it bugs me when I imagine I can go somewhere in Google Earth and I’m not getting the correct information or views! We live on 23 acres and our house sits back a 1/4 of mile from road and nobody can see our house from that road except in dead of winter when leaves are gone ... but those are evergreens right?

I've been on plenty of digs where there was no cover (particularly in urban archaeology digs required by environmental impact statements - and those are public archaeologists who are working there).

I suppose since the early 2000's, it's become a bit more common, but you can watch all kinds of current archaeology videos where there's no cover. But in a small site with something know to be super delicate, I agree there might be cover (Arlington Springs Man took weeks to get out of their burial spot along with context, no cover there - it was a damp site but also very windy). It was sort of a ravine-cliff side spot. You can see a picture of it on Wikipedia. I think it really varies (and I don't think they were looking for unfired clay or anything like that).

Surely they used GDR in advance and found some artifact or deformity in the ground?

I think they were worried about drones seeing a body and upsetting the daughters, frankly.

BTW, anyone know if they are really out there again today? Regular radar on wunderground shows it raining.

Here's a dig (UK) similar to one I worked near Athens:

And I've been at a private dig in Colorado (professionals leading, but no public funding). No covering there either. It was, however, in the middle of a hot summer.

I do field work in paleontology during the summers and we never use tents. Granted, the bone we're working on is about 67 million years old.

It appears from the road that there are large mounds in front of the homes between them and highway ... I wish I could find the photo you’re talking about, it bugs me when I imagine I can go somewhere in Google Earth and I’m not getting the correct information or views! We live on 23 acres and our house sits back a 1/4 of mile and nobody can see our house from the highway except in dead of winter when leaves are gone ... but those are evergreens right?
Yes, they're evergreens. The area around Salida is high desert, so not a lot of deciduous tree coverage...mostly pinon and juniper and some bigger trees (lodgepole and Ponderosa pine) as you move higher up in elevation. The only trees that provide leaf coverage are aspens (at high altitude) and cottonwoods (along rivers). You can see houses from pretty far away in most places. I wish I could find that photo too. I think it was posted quite a while ago.

Last edited:
Speaking of "Biking"-- has it been verified that she did indeed go for a bike ride ?
I know SM keeps saying that and I think at first, we all thought the neighbor lady saw her leave on her bike, but then we found out through SM that it was her DAUGHTERS who called the neighbor for a welfare check on their mom.
SO, Has it been verified she was last seen ON HER BIKE, out on a bike ride ??
And if Not, when was the last time she was actually seen ?
Do we know??
And If it hasn't been proven that she was actually seen on her bike, WHO stated that she was and why ???
A way to manipulate or push the search in one direction ??
If girls couldn't reach her, and maybe called their dad who said, "oh, she was going on a bike ride" to which the girls mentioned to the neighbor when they called for the welfare check, to which the neighbor the mentioned to LE when called in the missing person report. Then BM laid that theory out and went from there.
Or the Neighbor just assumed Suzanne had been on bike ride but did NOT see her but Media took off with it.
This is just something that really bugs me, in case you can't tell LOL
JMO
I agree completely! I don’t believe the bike ride ever took place either! I was just trying to point out IF she went on a bike ride wouldn’t she have taken a tracking device??? Which means to me, she didn’t go on a bike ride because she’s a responsible woman who knows if she got hurt while riding that device would pinpoint her location and lead help to her at the very least. Since phone service is unreliable there I would think GPS tracking would be more important than a phone.

"10. What has struck me is that most everything in MSM has been revealed by BM side of the family and nothing from SM’s side? Any insight here that I’ve missed?
All MOO."

Good Point and I haven't seen that concern posted anywhere on this thread until now.
I asked the same exact question days ago :)
And it does strike me as kind of sad, really.
If I went missing and my husband's uncle who he doesn't really have much of a relationship with, and my husband's nephew, were literally the only family to speak to the media, that would be pretty sad, since I have a parent, siblings, kids, cousins, nieces and nephews, etc.
I mean, maybe it's not actually odd but to me it feels odd.
Sad too.

Last edited:
Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
New from the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office just now: The search along County Road 105 in Salida has concluded and despite searching multiple areas on the property, investigators did not make any connections to the #SuzanneMorphew case.
I hate to say I’m disappointed but I am and will be unless she’s found alive somewhere ... surely they will search the Denver job site!

If my loved one went missing, and I had wads of cash to offer up for rewards, I'd also pay for the needs of volunteer searchers.
But, that's me, and that's assuming I had wads of cash to burn through.
We don't know of BM has that kind of money laying around, despite what he offered as a reward, or how much his house is worth, or even if he knew of or approved of his nephew creating a Fund Me account.
I think of people who appear to have money but really don't. You know, all flash, no cash. I've known many. They might have a nice income to afford it all, but still be net poor. So, when I see someone with a beautiful home, nice cars, etc., I always wonder.
He offered 100k for her safe return. So, i'm guessing he has at least that. That can be checked out and I'm sure it has been. Now, if I found out he was a billionaire and that's all he offered, my eyebrows would wrinkle.

UPDATE: The 3-day search ended at the property on the east side of Salida. Law enforcement say they were unable to make any connection to #MissingPerson #suzannemorphew case. More details about the search are not being disclosed at this time. @FOX21News
Tipline: (719)312-7530

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member