CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juvenile

Juvenile Active Member

That’s fair. Questions should still be asked though, else what are we doing here?
    I have to take LE’s statement at face value that nothing was found related to this missing persons case until we hear otherwise.

ETA: In your example, they were on site digging for weeks. I assume that if anything of significance was found here, they would still be on site scouring the entire property.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. Hoosierfan72

Hoosierfan72 Well-Known Member

Good points. I do think well meaning family often set these funds up as a way to do something to "help", probably with good intentions and without thinking about the possibility of a mess if things go south. At this point, anything they do can be criticized and could look bad....

3. Melrose

Melrose Well-Known Member

Re cougar attacks.

Very rare for them to attack an adult but it does happen: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-killed-biker-injured-another-was-emaciated/

Vancouver Island has the highest population of cougars in the world. Occasionally adults are attacked there. I can't find the story (it was some time ago) but a man, near Port Alberni iirc, was cycling and a cougar jumped on his back. He fought it off. What saved him was his backpack which protected his neck.

This 61 yr old man was also attacked but killed it with his pocket knife. Attacking cougar killed with pocket knife

This guy got lucky too: Deadly cougar attack on mountain bikers highlights importance of bear spray

They usually attack children, or pets. I don't think petite Mrs. Morphew would do well against one unless she was carrying a weapon. There would be clear signs that it had happened and the dogs would know (as long as it happened within the area searched). Also why would the bike be up against a tree, unless perhaps a passerby who didn't realize what had happened came along and propped it up later.

4. branmuffin

branmuffin Well-Known Member

I think that is the philosophy. And it's really weird because I have a friend who has said things to me like: it's too bad you didn't have more than one child! Yet she has cousins who have children that are horrible to their moms on an ongoing basis but offer the obligatory bouquet on Mother's Day. Okay, I'm over and out on this topic. Thanks.

5. Melrose

Melrose Well-Known Member

Agreed. A body in a river has a chance of being discovered downstream. Once that house was built she would be hidden forever, or at least the lifetime of the house.

Fireflize, Flicka1, vaporlass and 2 others like this.
  6. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

When I first read the first line of your post I thought it read music instead of muscle, and I read the rest thinking
    "what, they do that? why would they have music at a dig?"
    then I had to go back and re-read.
    I lol'd for real, so thank you for the unintended laugh. Ahem.
    I needed that today.
    :D

7. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO a modern no body case takes at least two months to subpoena, sort, investigate and link the physicial, electronic and digital evidence. Its been only two weeks.
    Even with all their searching she might still be hidden up a hill.

8. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be picky, but those quotes don't state where the bike was found. They quote other people talking about the bike, with no attempt to verify or clarify. So basically, reporting a rumor.

It's the same as the supposed Denver trip. Somebody said it and now everybody thinks it happened.

9. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This post falls at random:

Some gentle advice.....
    If your post states:
    “I remember reading that _____”
    OR “Didn’t somebody say that ______”
    OR “I don’t have a source but I saw somewhere that _____”
    OR anything in that vein, you are posting a potential runaway rumor if it does not have a link to the info in MSM.

Runaway rumors are tough to stop, and often require a thread shutdown to clean up.
    I know NO ONE ever intends that with what seems to be innocent questions, but once those words are printed here they can take on a life of their own.
    Please consider carefully what you write. You can ask some of these questions in PMs that will remain off the board and not cause a proliferation of mistaken info taking over the thread.

You all are doing a really good job here on thread #6.
    THANKS from me - I really appreciate your efforts!

Faithfully,
    CocoChanel

10. Summit1964

Summit1964 Well-Known Member

A lot of people are referring to this area as "remote." Rural-ish maybe but, as I've stated in previous posts, the house is just 7 miles from Poncha Springs, which is the intersection of Hwy 50 (which goes to Crested Butte) and Hwy 285 (a major North/South thoroughfare). There are several small towns within a 20 mile drive, including Nathrop, Salida, and Buena Vista. The stunning Collegiate Peaks are nearby and the area is a big draw for tourists; lots of whitewater rafting outfitters along the Arkansas River, mountain bikers, hikers, and hunters. And the area has grown so much in recent years that real estate prices are becoming exorbitant. I laugh when I hear someone call it "remote." I live not too far away and, you're right, most people up here have unpaved access roads in keeping with the mountain aesthetic.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

Well, the amount of resources seemed to be CBI, FBI and Chaffee county. Could have been more, I may have missed some of the articles.
    If they didn't question their own involvement on those search days, and they know loads more about what evidence they've already uncovered than the public does, then I'm not going to question their involvement either.

As to your other question, I can't say what evidence lead them there or why they searched specifically where they did, and for as long as they did.
    I can't say because the public has no clue what they're dealing with, what they know, how they know it, etc.
    It's kind of impossible and unfair really to deem it "mishandling" when we don't even have all the information to make such an informed opinion.

jmo

12. perception≠reality

perception≠reality Well-Known Member

ITA. “at this time” is the phrasing they used that gives me hope that they found something and need testing to confirm. If not, I hope we have a huge break soon and she is found so her girls can lay her to rest.

IMO JMO MOO

13. Tate123

Tate123 Well-Known Member

and I had to look up what a "chert mine" was : )

Fireflize, Flicka1, callyn and 2 others like this.
  14. vaporlass

vaporlass Well-Known Member

I found it! Thank you! I thought that was house to the left and closer to the road! :rolleyes: It doesn’t look like it’s on a hill to me as it does in Realtor pictures ...

Attached Files:

15. LietKynes

LietKynes Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    Hoping for a break soon.
    This is an active criminal investigation and that's how LE is treating it.

My heart aches for her daughters in the face of such monstrosity. :(

AnnaGrace, windrower, Dre and 14 others like this.
  16. ChuckMaureen

ChuckMaureen Well-Known Member

Kyte, Fireflize, Flicka1 and 9 others like this.
  17. vaporlass

vaporlass Well-Known Member

The truth is ....As long as the person responsible for the disappearance of SM does not get a penny ...I don’t care.

Kyte, Fireflize, Flicka1 and 7 others like this.
  18. TristanP

TristanP Well-Known Member

I’d take my phone even without a signal because I could still listen to downloaded music on it.

LE has not released any information about her phone at all. But they’re the ones who *do* know whether or not her phone was found or if it wasn’t! And fortunately, there is a lot of info they can get from the cell phone carrier even without the phone itself.

19. ChuckMaureen

ChuckMaureen Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.