Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you say more about what category of utterance the 9 phrases fall into? What role do you think fatigue and mental confusion play in that video? CSI, CBI and FBI would be involved in a case of a suspected kidnapping, right?

I'll tell you what I notice (almost 40 years of applied anthropology research, much of it in psychiatric settings).

He's very well coiffed and poised. By that I mean that he's chosen his camera angle and distance carefully and excludes viewers from seeing his hands or posture. He appears to be sitting down and I think it may be edited (there may be something right before "Oh Suzanne"). I say that because he looks very much "warmed up" to the awful task at hand. His facial expression is already fixed and in "full swing," as it were. There are very few sentence fragments, no stammering, Upset people often repeat fragments (heck, most normal speech does) and in envision one's wife in the hands of an evil kidnapper would cause the vast majority of people to be upset.

If we could see his hands, we might think differently. He might look more upset. People often bring their hands to their faces when grieving or upset. Did BLM unwittingly choose a camera distance that makes him look way more poised and much less grief-stricken?

He's confused about who is audience is. To me, it seems that his audience is Youtube, not any actual kidnapper and not Suzanne. Perhaps he wants very much to speak once again with Suzanne, but his mind immediately takes him to address "someone that has her." If he had stayed on the "speaking to Suzanne" part and really imagined himself speaking to her, I think he would have said different things - in fact, most of the utterance is to that "someone."

So, when I get to that step in looking at just his body language, framed by the fact that in his mind he's speaking to a criminal kidnapper...that's where I get a red flag. I know people have said "hinky meter" and others have said "totally sincere." I do think he's being "sincere," I think he truly is very very upset, hasn't been sleeping well, hasn't been crying much or at all, is way way more terrified than he is angry at the kidnapper.

He also mentions police. Maybe not the best way to negotiate with a kidnapper? Anyway, it seemed to me that the main point of the video was not to reassure Suzanne that she was loved and needed, but to address a kidnapper and threaten the kidnapper with the police (and by extension - a reward to that someone who knows who the kidnapper is).

Dr. St C - do you think that BLM's eyes look as if he had been crying in the past few hours? I think he looks like he's lost sleep (bags under eyes).

//I just saw that you answered my question - thank you!

He will be distressed and exhausted. Whatever the facts are, and whether or not he's involved, those behaviours will still apply.

Personally speaking, being careful to take my medical hat off here, (I'm concerned that I'm here as a lay person; not an expert). It was not my impression that he's speaking to potential kidnappers. Time is of the essence in such cases, and kidnappers don't usually go silent for a week, leaving next of kin wondering whether the person is alive or dead. Yes, things might go silent for 48 hrs or so, while an abductor is making good their escape, putting physical distance between themselves and the victim's next of kin. Not working with the police to at least coordinate a reward and how to manage it in the first instance is a red flag. Even if the family subsequently insisted that police were not involved in the reward drop, it is highly unusual to not involve them at all. The family could be jeopardising the abductee's safety. BM will have a named police liaison- why leave such people out.
For what it's worth, I personally think the kidnapper appeal is a red herring. It could also be that BM is showing profound remorse for something that has happened in the couple's personal life. The wording is odd - I'd need to know more about his usual patterns of speech. What he said, and the order in which he said it, makes me uneasy. The content might be little more than diversion tactics.
Again, as a qualifier, if he was having an affair, and he genuinely doesn't know where Suzanne is, he could feel overwhelmed with guilt, which could affect his performance. That still doesn't explain why he marginalized the police; nor does it explain his over-emphasis on the abduction theory (which I think is contrived). What if she had left him: wouldn't it be more fitting to convey his love for her, say that they could work through things together if she came home? He defaults to abduction in the absence of evidence for same. That in itself is suspicious.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.
Awesome you're back!!
BAM!!
BAM!!
BAM!!

Finally.

About time you showed up.

Don't expect a friggin' ticker tape parade, either…ain't nobody got time for all that.

The fact that I agree with everything you just said, nothwithstanding.
I have a confetti option but I don’t think it works here .. where is Suzannes’ body (IMO that’s where we are 2 weeks in)
JMO

So, do we know who sent the message? This is the first time I've heard about a mountain lion in the area, and a bike crash.
"CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.
“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part."

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
It is interesting, that not only the bike itself but the condition of the bike was a sticking point for someone, from the very beginning.
No idea who sent the weird message, but we do know BM's nephew Trevor Noel made a particular point to tell the media and the public that they should be pressing the CCSO about the condition of the bike. Maybe he shared that info with whoever sent the message? Maybe he sent the message himself? Who knows.

And the ground-laying, story-making, red herring-planting continues. Even further afield. (Who did send that message, NuttMegg, do you think? Another bamboozled friend or family member?)

"The Fable of the Bike Ride." Great title.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

Well, since it says "Barry is just beside himself", and not "Dad" is just beside himself, I'd rule out the daughters sending the message. The message was sent on May 11, very soon after her disappearance, IMO. I don't know if the presence of the mountain lion, and the bike "crash" has appeared in other media as I missed the first few threads here, but I didn't see it in the media thread which I did peruse, but may have missed those references.

How many people in the family were acquainted with the church community in Indiana? To the point where they would think of sending a message to the church the day after she apparently went missing? So, I think Barry sent it, it was too early for others to think of spreading the idea of the mountain lion and bike crash. IMO

IMO it would not occur to the daughters to send that message the very day after she went missing.

I find it puzzling that Crime on Line saw the message but did not reveal "who sent it". Why? Enquiring minds want to know. The fact that the church, and Crime on Line both did not reveal the source of the message makes me think (IMO) that LE told them not to. At least they didn't reveal it in this article.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.

Good post for a first timer ;) “Newguy”
{{{{{{HI}}}}}}

This could take a while.
Well Heck, the prodigal outlaw returns............:).....Welcome back....moooooooooooo

It is interesting, that not only the bike itself but the condition of the bike was a sticking point for someone, from the very beginning.
No idea who sent the weird message, but we do know BM's nephew Trevor Noel made a particular point to tell the media and the public that they should be pressing the CCSO about the condition of the bike. Maybe he shared that info with whoever sent the message? Maybe he sent the message himself? Who knows.
Hmm. Your post about his previous hints plus the word "crashed" in the message to the church. ‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

This could take a while.

❤️❤️❤️

On the flip side, we had mouthy LS stepmom of GS who couldn't stop talking to reporters and on SM while mom and dad only spoke a few times, from the heart, IMO
We just never know how a family member feels by what they say or don't say during an interview.
Some guilty ones don't say much if anything, other guilty ones talk non-stop while the Innocent ones are the same, some speak, some don't.
Human nature at it's best and a complex study of how different people act in such different ways.

They are very different personalities. Leticia Stauch manifestly has a severe personality disorder. You are wrong in your statement to say that we will never know what they are thinking. It's taken me 25 years medical training and as a principal research scientist in this field (having studied at Harvard and Cambridge) to gain this amount of expertise. To give you an example of the work I've done with a broad spectrum of clients and patients - from top security hospitals housing people who have committed the most heinous of crimes, through to first time offenders of serious crimes: in approximately 300 cases, my clinical assessment on first and second meeting has been correct 97% of the time, and not infrequently when police personnel have a very different view. One of the patients took his own life before assessment could be completed.
I have seen, diagnosed and treated quite literally thousands of patients. L Stauch has a highly disordered, manipulative personality. We used the first interview she gave with her back to the camera as a confidential medical teaching masterclass, exploring with postdoc medics doing psychiatry training, the extremes of personality traits.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> My posts are all there to see and they have mostly been about her being abducted, which I believe is what happened. Until I find out otherwise I stick by that and that is why I was pushing this. I do not want her to be stuck somewhere with someone and LE looking the other way ( think Jayme Closs) just focusing on BM. Look at post #366.

All MOO <modsnip: removed reference to removed post>

I am like you, I don't think the husband did it. However I have to admit I am getting more prepared to concede defeat as the days go by. But still holding out hope.

I too, like you, care about Suzanne welfare and wellbeing. That's who we are all here for! Just because you and I have a different thoughts to the majority (I also think there is something more to this case), doesn't mean we don't care about the victim!

I have been following this thread and your posts, and have seen you express your theories and your concern for the victim, even if some others on here seem to have missed that!

Hoping for Suzanne's return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another alternate theory "# who knows how many"... (and not necessarily my first choice)

BM owed someone $100,000 and he was hedging on paying it back... avoiding someone. Maybe the moment SM "disappeared" it was a message it was too late to pay it back but not to late for someone to set BM up to take the blame. That would explain a lot of BM's behavior as reported by the fire chief and could explain BM's demeanor during his public statement, too... while at the same time the behavior and demeanor can be explained by several other scenarios other than guilt and fear of being caught and arrested by LE. (To keep within TOS, some of the details of this speculative scenario can't be discussed here.) Jmo.

I think there are a lot of things that might have happened but we don't have enough information to fully prove any theory at this point, imo. Suspicions, for sure but no proof. I'm aware of statistics, probabilities and comparisons to previous cases but sometimes we get surprised when additional information becomes available... and sometimes not... sometimes it's just as we first suspected all along.
Okay, I’ll bite... Suppose this was the case. Did he tell the Sheriff? If so, why would Sheriff spend all that time searching the perimeters, then searching the house ... before going to dig under the garage pad? Surely BM told the Sheriff his fears of retribution from the supposed loan shark? Seems like a lot of wasted time, money and energy searching all those places IF BM told Sheriff WHO he borrowed money from and WHO might be seeking retribution...
It might explain him looking out windows and pacing ... he’s afraid they are coming after him next?
But, I think he’s just wondering instead when LE will show up with his arrest warrant. He looked haggard in his PLEA video, maybe a friend offered anxiety medication and that is why his unemotional and detached plea sounded so flat and monotone. I can’t believe there are people describing it as “impassioned” though I do believe he’s suffering.
Like you, I’ve tried giving him the benefit of a doubt but I just can’t get there ...

IMO the most interesting aspect of BM's Facebook plea is that he did it in the first place. I've never seen another missing person's case where someone close to the victim produced and released his own video. Have you?

That would be an attractive, possibly irresistible, option for someone with a controlling nature. Chose your set, clothing, and script. Also telling, IMO, is how brief the clip is. Perhaps a wise choice to call "cut" before the dry and unconvincing crying begins?

How many takes before the Director's Cut was released?

Alleluia!

Yes, we've heard various things about the bikes condition and where it was found but this is the first I've read that it was "crashed." Apparently it was described this way early on.

At least we know a little more about BM. He was described by Parsons as not as friendly as Suzanne and "standoffish."

Imo

Last edited:

This could take a while.

Hey! Welcome (back) to Websleuths!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members