Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ALWAYS good to see you posting on a case! Welcome noob.

i've always thought it sounded like he had already starting talking like a half a second before the video started recording, and that he was likely saying "hello suzanne." (and only the "oh" part of hello was recorded).

but that's a weird thing to say to your missing wife, too.

Haven’t we met Radar in Kelsey Berreth’s case? If I remember correctly

Good memory!

Hurst introduced his 140-pound bloodhound cadaver dog, Radar, who is trained to detect human decomposition and can pick up scents from a body, fluids, and other human remains like teeth, tissue, hair, feces, urine and skeletal remains. Hurst said he and Radar have spent more than 5,000 hours training and have been in the field to find bodies or scents 30 to 40 times. Radar has never had a false hit, Hurst testified.

Patrick Frazee murder trial: ‘I figured out a way to kill her,' friend testifies Frazee told him

I don’t understand that. Why would $210,000 be so much better than $200,000? Safe return. If she’s returned safe, the person returning her will not get any money and they will go to prison. The police were digging through concrete... the reward should say “For Suzanne’s exact location” if she’s alive and being held, great if they release her. But if she’s not alive you still want her remains.
IMO it possibly will make the public think the family is behind the reward money and the image this presents (kidnapping?) by increasing and adding to the reward fund - I'd like a reporter to dig into where this "money" is being held. This "reward" should not be confused with the crowdfunding going on by the nephew for BM's mother.
JMO

Interesting...”last seen in this helmet”. That sounds like an assumption on someone’s part, unless there’s evidence that she was actually seen in the helmet. MOO
She might have been in the house with the helmet on, getting ready for a bike ride. Like, half way out the door. So someone might be giving a sort of truth. Also, she might have just plonked the helmet on without doing it up while she got the rest of her stuff together, just so she knew where it was and didn't leave it somewhere.
So, there may be an element of truth in every detail. It's just that someone could be manipulating how we are to perceive it.

I had that same feeling, but then lack of evidence of a crime scene in the house could be hopeful news for Suzanne’s return.

But I see that houses have been returned to the family in other cases, and it doesn’t necessarily mean evidence was not found. I imagine it could even add pressure to a nervous perp to see the house post-evidence collection (like seeing those holes dug in the construction site). Could be an LE strategy to make someone feel less secure.
Or more secure, whereby allowing them to make mistakes?

I'm still wondering if all this reward money is held in escrow in a bank? just waiting to be delivered when she is returned to the family? If not, hmmmmm. doesn't seem fair to be able to do this IMO.
But if someone delivers her it’s not like they are really going to hand it over and say thanks go on your merry way. The person would be arrested right? Or if she just showed up on the front step are they going to wire it to some random account? The whole reward is weird. I guess if an innocent person found her then they could get the reward but it’s like BM is offering it to her abductors.

IMO, SM’s disappearance was not the result of a random stranger but at this point I do not thoroughly discount it.

Please see the attached link to a random “event” that just occured on the anniversary of Jennifer Dulos’ murder in the same town she was murdered - New Canaan CT. Man, 31, Charged with Attempted Murder in ‘Random’ Valley Road Incident [UPDATING]

Imagine if the perp had been successful, with no witnesses or camera evidence and the victim vanished ? Just food for thought. There are those moments in time that sometimes result in crimes of opportunity.
I was recalling the case of the middle-aged professor who vanished on an idyllic island in Greece last year, jogging along the side of the road. She was in the wrong place, wrong time, just when a respectable young man let loose his violent sexual urges. If not for a pair of particular searchers who had a brilliant idea about where to search, she'd probably still be mysteriously missing.

I don't think LE has released anything that can rule the various scenarios out, they may just have a lack of evidence to follow up on.

I would think if they had re-enacted a crime scene, found damning evidence, were tightening up a case etc. that this would be held. I don’t know that though, I just had a sinking feeling when I read it. I hope it is off base. What are your thoughts?

LE doesn't "re-enact" crime scenes when they're executing and processing a search warrant. They have a bunch of things they look for, as specified in the signed search warrant they wrote up and got a judge to approve.

They gather items that may be pertinent to their investigation. That could include clothing, shoes, other household items, younameit. Yes, they look for forensic evidence, they take control samples as well as any items for testing, which go to their crime lab(s). They take measurements, take photographs, and often video on a walkthrough. They look for and gather together various paperwork, computers, hard drives, other digital media. They don't run lab tests at a potential crime scene, though they do have chemicals that can detect the presence of blood and do have the ability to run a simple preliminary test to determine if that blood is human or not human.

Once they've searched thoroughly, completed processing and documenting, and have seized whatever they decided to seize and are done, they release a home back to the homeowner, leave a copy of the search warrant *with a list of each item they seized*, and they file the completed search warrant back at the station. Seized items are stored in secure, locked room(s) and chain of custody of each item is maintained with stickers and forms for each item.

Executing a search warrant can take as little as a couple hours in some cases, or much longer, depending. This one is on the longer end of the spectrum.

It does *not* mean they've found nothing and given up. It's not a bad sign.

Last edited:
From Alan Gionet/ Reporter at CBS Denver:

Alan Gionet

bbm
Somewhere is Colorado this morning is an answer.
"If you know anything, if you suspect anything, if you have a funny memory from Sunday or the days after please call the tipline." 719 312 7530
That was my conversation this morning with Trevor Noel, the nephew of Suzanne Morphew, days after her bike was found west of Salida in the Colorado mountains. There is still no sign of her.
Let's share this to get word out.
"Someone knows something," Trevor said.

Huh?

I don’t understand that. Why would $210,000 be so much better than $200,000? Safe return. If she’s returned safe, the person returning her will not get any money and they will go to prison. The police were digging through concrete... the reward should say “For Suzanne’s exact location” if she’s alive and being held, great if they release her. But if she’s not alive you still want her remains.

Completely agree.

MOO but a 5% increase in the reward money isn't going to solicit a new tip.

What COULD bring in new info is removing the stipulation for SM being returned unharmed. If someone other than the perp knows even a little bit of what happened and they think they can get some of the money by sharing that info even if she's deceased there is a chance there. MOO

THAT is the strangest opening EVER!!

Re: "Oh, Suzanne....." at the beginning of the video.

La la la la: "Oh, Susanna, oh don't you cry for me....." IME People reach for clichés when they're trying to be vague or not get pinned down.

And we might be watching a person who is generally "out of touch with their feelings". Then you get clichés instead of real.

Both of these possibilities might be true. Either of them might be innocent; both could be "reveals" (or not) about a person's intentions.

Last edited:
But if someone delivers her it’s not like they are really going to hand it over and say thanks go on your merry way. The person would be arrested right? Or if she just showed up on the front step are they going to wire it to some random account? The whole reward is weird. I guess if an innocent person found her then they could get the reward but it’s like BM is offering it to her abductors.
In prior missing persons cases I've followed, the reward is offered through LE- like crimestoppers. I posted early on that this was unusual IMO - and LE has never commented on it. That tells me all I need to know.
JMO

Completely agree.

MOO but a 5% increase in the reward money isn't going to solicit a new tip.

What COULD bring in new info is removing the stipulation for SM being returned unharmed. If someone other than the perp knows even a little bit of what happened and they think they can get some of the money by sharing that info even if she's deceased there is a chance there. MOO
Exactly.
IMO

I have a funny feeling about the possible relationship between the dad of the family and the nephew that lives close. The nephew seems very emotional and is responding in more the way I would have anticipated her husbands response. It makes me wonder what exactly the dynamic in the family is.
JMO

Re: "Oh, Suzanne....." at the beginning of the video.

La la la la: "Oh, Susanna, oh don't you cry for me....." IME People reach for clichés when they're trying to be vague or not get pinned down.
Funny, but normally I would think that is a sweet endearment that he may have said to her in their relationship over the years. It still could be just that, you know? Doesn't anyone else have a spouse that sang or said something to you that was lyrical or poetic, or have any of you do this to your own spouse, lover, etc? Heck, I've sang songs to my friends in a fun and joking manner using popular songs from past and present. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't find anything odd about his opening.

I find in the video he seems regretful and there is a bit of pain with that regret. I do feel he had some part of her going missing- to what extent remains to be seen. Whether he harmed her himself or had someone else do it for him or with him, time will tell.

That is just too strange. As if upping the ante by 10,000 will make a difference?

If someone knows something the extra 10K might tip them over the edge into speaking out?
No harm in trying in this desperate situation IMO.

Some people who own a business find themselves involved in lawsuits from time to time. I wonder if the Morphews ever experienced that and if so, did they win case(s) and might a defendant have held a grudge?

It has happened before. Could be the situation in this Morphew case? Google: Douglas Garland killed Calgary couple and grandson over "petty grudge" court hears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288