Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought people on this discussion might find this interesting: it happened yesterday south of Bozeman MT.

Grizzly bear attacks man mountain biking in Big Sky

We talked about mountain lions but I don't think we mentioned the possibility of a bear. I would assume it's equally unlikely, but...?

This man was found, and I am certain quite a bit of blood and/or tissue would be found at the attack site.

Animals don’t clean up crime scenes, and rarely make it far with their prey. We would have seen LE discuss signs of an attack-blood, hair, flesh, reported animal sighting in the area, and her body. LE already dismissed animal attack and said they don’t believe it happened. I trust they did their due diligence and found nothing to indicate this took place.

IMO MOO JMO

Here’s a scenario that keeps coming to mind.

A distant cousin of mine was murdered 7 years ago. He had gotten involved with the wrong people and there was conflict. Before leaving to meet at one of their places for a weekend, he told his dad and brothers “If you don’t hear from me, I was shot.” And he named who he thought would do it. He called periodically to let them know he was okay, and then the calls stopped.

When his dad called the police, they also began the search immediately and treated it like a missing persons case. Only those of us in the family knew who he was last seen with. It was about 2 months before it became public that family suspected foul play. Even at that point LE did not comment on whether or not they agreed. I think if his family had 100k to give as a reward, I could see them offering that.

MOO it’s possible SM could have texted something similar to someone. Maybe “I’m biking with so and so and they’re acting weird“, “I’m in —-‘s house and they don’t want me to leave” or “BM is really angry and I’m scared” “if you don’t hear back, I’m in trouble”. Something like this could have precluded the events that took place with the neighbor checking and calling 911 IMO.

I thought people on this discussion might find this interesting: it happened yesterday south of Bozeman MT.

Grizzly bear attacks man mountain biking in Big Sky

We talked about mountain lions but I don't think we mentioned the possibility of a bear. I would assume it's equally unlikely, but...?
Extremely unlikely. Only black bears here in CO and they rarely attack unprovoked. We see them out while hiking occasionally and they either run away or ignore us. Grizzlies have been known to chase mountain bikers, but I don't think black bears do that too often.

Claims that she cycled every Sunday morning before church (relayed through the fire chief ???) don't make sense. It was cold during the month of April. Avid cyclists in cold Winter environments put bikes on trainers until the weather is warm.

It snowed April 12. When did she pick up the Sunday morning cycling habit? May 3 and 10 were good for mountain biking.

Gunnison, CO Weather Calendar | Weather Underground
I can't help but wonder how the Fire Chief knows she goes on a bike ride on Sunday. Why would he know? Or is his information coming straight from the husband?

What a different world! I don't even know my neighbors names and would'nt recognize them in a store.
LOL, you sound a lot like me. I'm a bit anti-social and do not socialize with my neighbors except I may walk over to say hi if they are sitting outside when I get home on weekends. All my neighbors are much younger than I and have children.

This man was found, and I am certain quite a bit of blood and/or tissue would be found at the attack site.

Animals don’t clean up crime scenes, and rarely make it far with their prey. We would have seen LE discuss signs of an attack-blood, hair, flesh, reported animal sighting in the area, and her body. LE already dismissed animal attack and said they don’t believe it happened. I trust they did their due diligence and found nothing to indicate this took place.

IMO MOO JMO

We have black bears and if you forget to bring in the garbage can you’ll find your garbage strewn all over your lawn, yard, driveway. Your bird feeders dragged into the woods. It’s a mess, they aren’t very precise.

JMO based on cleaning up after bear visits

Here’s a scenario that keeps coming to mind.

A distant cousin of mine was murdered 7 years ago. He had gotten involved with the wrong people and there was conflict. Before leaving to meet at one of their places for a weekend, he told his dad and brothers “If you don’t hear from me, I was shot.” And he named who he thought would do it. He called periodically to let them know he was okay, and then the calls stopped.

When his dad called the police, they also began the search immediately and treated it like a missing persons case. Only those of us in the family knew who he was last seen with. It was about 2 months before it became public that family suspected foul play. Even at that point LE did not comment on whether or not they agreed. I think if his family had 100k to give as a reward, I could see them offering that.

MOO it’s possible SM could have texted something similar to someone. Maybe “I’m biking with so and so and they’re acting weird“, “I’m in —-‘s house and they don’t want me to leave” or “BM is really angry and I’m scared” “if you don’t hear back, I’m in trouble”. Something like this could have precluded the events that took place with the neighbor checking and calling 911 IMO.
I could see something like that. For whatever reason, law enforcement reacted extremely quickly. The CBI and FBI were brought in about as fast as I’ve ever seen. What they didn’t do, is what I would have expected them to do if they believed this was a kidnapping or something non-nefarious.

I’ve been thinking along the lines of some physical evidence pointing them that way, but something like what you suggested is at least as likely as that:

“I’m going to tell BM I want a divorce. If you don’t hear from me, he did it.”

Checking in and trying to catch up!

Sadly, still no Suzanne :(

However, I am thrilled to see Tom, I mean, @MassGuy is back!!

I find it interesting how quick LE insisted that the homeowners had NO involvement in SM’s disappearance, but have made no mention of clearing BM. To me, that says a lot.

Also, I wonder if SM’s phone was one of the items found during the search. That could definitely be used as part of staging the scene, IMO. As if she must have dropped her phone during a “struggle”.

I thought about suicide for a bit, but decided that if she wanted that, then why fight cancer? Of course, I have no clue how she may have felt, but I don’t see LE leaning this way.

I’m sure LE is following any and all leads and the evidence points close to home. MOO

After following this case through 8 different threads without having an account, I finally joined in.
I'm in an interesting position, as I have personally met and interacted with SM, MM, and MM a few times (but never BM), but would not go so far as to consider myself a family friend or in any way close to them - just brief acquaintances over a few years, only connected through social media now. While I have nothing new or interesting to add, thanks everyone for staying so committed and searching for the truth. It's been a great place to keep up with things as they happen as we all grow more desperate for answers.

Coincidentally, I also personally knew one of the victims of the Delphi Murders - I wish I had known about this site back then.

You all rock.
Welcome!

CLICK HERE AND JOIN US LIVE TONIGHT (Wed May 27th) AT 10:00 PM EASTERN ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE
"Aphrodite Jones has been the face of Investigation Discovery network for many years. She is the creator and host of True Crime with Aphrodite Jones, which takes viewers on incredible murder investigations, which leaves questions in the minds of the audiences until the final act." Check out more about Ms. Jones along with the many best selling true crime books she authored at her website Aphrodite Jones

10:00 PM EASTERN TONIGHT ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE

Attachments

• 20200520_130400.jpg
    20200520_130400.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1
I can't help but wonder how the Fire Chief knows she goes on a bike ride on Sunday. Why would he know? Or is his information coming straight from the husband?

From this article, it sounds like the Chief is getting information from other firefighters who are in communication with BM. ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

Unless I hear new information, my opinion is that the entire narrative is coming from BM.

We have black bears and if you forget to bring in the garbage can you’ll find your garbage strewn all over your lawn, yard, driveway. Your bird feeders dragged into the woods. It’s a mess, they aren’t very precise.

JMO based on cleaning up after bear visits
Don't forget slobber...lots of slobber. They also have figured out how to open car doors out here, but they generally destroy what they get into. If SM had been attacked by a bear or lion, there would have been definite signs.

Did you watch that video by the two women who drove the roads/trails and even went by the house? There was a lot of traffic and a lot of people. It isn’t what I expected at all. April Isaacs MS RPT

Gannon...
Wow! That puts a different spin on my speculation...can’t exactly explain, just a gut feeling that JMO, if I were trying to stage a disappearance of my wife, this could be difficult to accomplish, not as remote and unpeopled as I thought...the trails seem to be active.
To support my wild theory, I can see that an admirer could have also been a regular on the trails, (lives in general area?) they could have had several chance meetings as he set his plan in play... until we find out that the evidence at house tells another story, this scenario has potential, and it does limit suspect pool more toward a biker, tho.JMO

It seems extreme imo because you’re talking about people who intentionally moved to the mountains for seclusion/early retirement (as a relative stated) to think something is wrong because they didn’t respond for hours, when you also consider the reception difficulties (also noted by many) in that area. The girls KNEW when they took that trip they wouldn’t be home for Mother’s Day so I’m not sure I think they thought it was so important in the first place - plus neither live at home and youngest one is only 16-17 years old.
Mothers Day is a big deal now my kids are much older and parents themselves and it’s a big deal when kids are small IMO but clearly no one - not husband or kids - thought it was that important at this time in their lives. Not criticizing, I think it’s that way because of the age of her kids.
She’s obviously healthy to be considered out bike riding in the first place. She has been described as very athletic and in shape by those who know her.
The video that @Dave F. shared was very telling about that area.
I get your point, I would worry if it was a Mom in her 70’s or older ... but I don’t get the intense fear about a healthy 49 year old.
Either the neighbor found the bike (has that ever been confirmed?) ... or the girls hadn’t heard from her in “several” days, not just “hours.” JMO.
Here is a scenario in which the girls would be very worried----let's say the girls received a text from Mom that morning, saying 'going for a bike ride, call me later...'

And so they do start calling and texting her in the afternoon and receive no reply. At what point would that create concern?

Considering that she had recently recovered from a second bout with cancer, I understand their concern.

Extremely unlikely. Only black bears here in CO and they rarely attack unprovoked. We see them out while hiking occasionally and they either run away or ignore us. Grizzlies have been known to chase mountain bikers, but I don't think black bears do that too often.
Bears are even less tidy than mountain lions.

I'm inclined to agree with this.
I feel sorry for him, as I do think he was just trying to help, then became the butt of jokes and getting the stink-eye by a few, wondering what his alibi was, or if there is some hinky stuff going on.
Ugh, welcome to social media where kindness and courtesy is in dreadfully short supply.
I agree, he came across as a very nice person doing everything he could to be helpful. I feel like the media took advantage of his kindness and desperation and it only made sense for him to stop giving interviews due to the extreme sensitivity of the situation. I am still befuddled by his request that we ask LE about the condition the bike was found in. My take is that he was trying to tell us something important that he could not say directly.

Gannon... oops
I always agree w/ Joe. however, either we are getting better at spotting them, or they are multiplying, JMO, there seem to be more of them.
Intended to Joe Kenda post by Cindizzi
Totally agree w/ cages comment, no cure, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne