CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatelineFan

DatelineFan Well-Known Member

That's what I'm expecting...

2. BeachSky

BeachSky Well-Known Member

3. perception≠reality

perception≠reality Well-Known Member

This man was found, and I am certain quite a bit of blood and/or tissue would be found at the attack site.

Animals don’t clean up crime scenes, and rarely make it far with their prey. We would have seen LE discuss signs of an attack-blood, hair, flesh, reported animal sighting in the area, and her body. LE already dismissed animal attack and said they don’t believe it happened. I trust they did their due diligence and found nothing to indicate this took place.

IMO MOO JMO

4. TMcgee

TMcgee Well-Known Member

Here’s a scenario that keeps coming to mind.

A distant cousin of mine was murdered 7 years ago. He had gotten involved with the wrong people and there was conflict. Before leaving to meet at one of their places for a weekend, he told his dad and brothers “If you don’t hear from me, I was shot.” And he named who he thought would do it. He called periodically to let them know he was okay, and then the calls stopped.

When his dad called the police, they also began the search immediately and treated it like a missing persons case. Only those of us in the family knew who he was last seen with. It was about 2 months before it became public that family suspected foul play. Even at that point LE did not comment on whether or not they agreed. I think if his family had 100k to give as a reward, I could see them offering that.

MOO it’s possible SM could have texted something similar to someone. Maybe “I’m biking with so and so and they’re acting weird“, “I’m in —-‘s house and they don’t want me to leave” or “BM is really angry and I’m scared” “if you don’t hear back, I’m in trouble”. Something like this could have precluded the events that took place with the neighbor checking and calling 911 IMO.

5. Summit1964

Summit1964 Well-Known Member

Extremely unlikely. Only black bears here in CO and they rarely attack unprovoked. We see them out while hiking occasionally and they either run away or ignore us. Grizzlies have been known to chase mountain bikers, but I don't think black bears do that too often.

Flurries, TRB, Blue Amethyst and 11 others like this.
  6. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

I can't help but wonder how the Fire Chief knows she goes on a bike ride on Sunday. Why would he know? Or is his information coming straight from the husband?

7. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

LOL, you sound a lot like me. I'm a bit anti-social and do not socialize with my neighbors except I may walk over to say hi if they are sitting outside when I get home on weekends. All my neighbors are much younger than I and have children.

8. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

We have black bears and if you forget to bring in the garbage can you’ll find your garbage strewn all over your lawn, yard, driveway. Your bird feeders dragged into the woods. It’s a mess, they aren’t very precise.

JMO based on cleaning up after bear visits

9. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I could see something like that. For whatever reason, law enforcement reacted extremely quickly. The CBI and FBI were brought in about as fast as I’ve ever seen. What they didn’t do, is what I would have expected them to do if they believed this was a kidnapping or something non-nefarious.

I’ve been thinking along the lines of some physical evidence pointing them that way, but something like what you suggested is at least as likely as that:

“I’m going to tell BM I want a divorce. If you don’t hear from me, he did it.”

10. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

Checking in and trying to catch up!

Sadly, still no Suzanne :(

However, I am thrilled to see Tom, I mean, @MassGuy is back!!

I find it interesting how quick LE insisted that the homeowners had NO involvement in SM’s disappearance, but have made no mention of clearing BM. To me, that says a lot.

Also, I wonder if SM’s phone was one of the items found during the search. That could definitely be used as part of staging the scene, IMO. As if she must have dropped her phone during a “struggle”.

I thought about suicide for a bit, but decided that if she wanted that, then why fight cancer? Of course, I have no clue how she may have felt, but I don’t see LE leaning this way.

I’m sure LE is following any and all leads and the evidence points close to home. MOO

11. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Welcome!

12. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

CLICK HERE AND JOIN US LIVE TONIGHT (Wed May 27th) AT 10:00 PM EASTERN ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE
    "Aphrodite Jones has been the face of Investigation Discovery network for many years. She is the creator and host of True Crime with Aphrodite Jones, which takes viewers on incredible murder investigations, which leaves questions in the minds of the audiences until the final act." Check out more about Ms. Jones along with the many best selling true crime books she authored at her website Aphrodite Jones

10:00 PM EASTERN TONIGHT ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE

Attached Files:

13. mrstfs

mrstfs Well-Known Member

From this article, it sounds like the Chief is getting information from other firefighters who are in communication with BM. ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

Unless I hear new information, my opinion is that the entire narrative is coming from BM.

TIGER0822, TRB, Spartygirl and 19 others like this.
  14. Summit1964

Summit1964 Well-Known Member

Don't forget slobber...lots of slobber. They also have figured out how to open car doors out here, but they generally destroy what they get into. If SM had been attacked by a bear or lion, there would have been definite signs.

15. Feistyomi

Feistyomi Well-Known Member

Gannon...
    Wow! That puts a different spin on my speculation...can’t exactly explain, just a gut feeling that JMO, if I were trying to stage a disappearance of my wife, this could be difficult to accomplish, not as remote and unpeopled as I thought...the trails seem to be active.
    To support my wild theory, I can see that an admirer could have also been a regular on the trails, (lives in general area?) they could have had several chance meetings as he set his plan in play... until we find out that the evidence at house tells another story, this scenario has potential, and it does limit suspect pool more toward a biker, tho.JMO

16. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Here is a scenario in which the girls would be very worried----let's say the girls received a text from Mom that morning, saying 'going for a bike ride, call me later...'

And so they do start calling and texting her in the afternoon and receive no reply. At what point would that create concern?

Considering that she had recently recovered from a second bout with cancer, I understand their concern.

AnnaGrace, TRB, Melrose and 16 others like this.
  17. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Bears are even less tidy than mountain lions.

AnnaGrace, Orgona, MsBetsy and 14 others like this.
  18. Feistyomi

Oops DBM

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    mom2chloe likes this.
  19. TIGER0822

TIGER0822 Well-Known Member

I agree, he came across as a very nice person doing everything he could to be helpful. I feel like the media took advantage of his kindness and desperation and it only made sense for him to stop giving interviews due to the extreme sensitivity of the situation. I am still befuddled by his request that we ask LE about the condition the bike was found in. My take is that he was trying to tell us something important that he could not say directly.

windrower, Flurries, MsBetsy and 14 others like this.
  20. Feistyomi

Gannon... oops
    I always agree w/ Joe. however, either we are getting better at spotting them, or they are multiplying, JMO, there seem to be more of them.
    Intended to Joe Kenda post by Cindizzi
    Totally agree w/ cages comment, no cure, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.