Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BM is not designated a POI, is he free to travel wherever he wants? For instance, to go back to Indiana to visit family without telling LE? If he did , could/would that later be viewed suspiciously and used by LE?
I see another poster answered you and I agree.
He is free as a bird atm, but it doesn't mean LE aren't keeping a side eye on him.
With no warnings to the public to be on the lookout for a random abductor; LE by their actions are showing they think Suzanne's vanishing was by someone closer to home.
Imo.

Exactly.
I'm trying to explain why LE might have been so focused from the get go that it didn't even release a current photo of SM. We actually have no idea what she looks like. Could be very different from the photos that keep getting published, because those aren't current. People can change physically ALOT in a few months.
And yes, I'm proposing what you say: there was a dossier of investigatory material BEFORE SM went missing. The investigatory material may or may not have been an exactly related topic, but LE knew a bunch of stuff in advance. IMO.
bbm
Agreed.
A friend who is in remission is getting her hair back but it's still very short, straight, and it's grey and white -- not like the curly brunette tresses she'd had.
Plus she's very thin !

The photos of Suzanne that are on her FB and elsewhere show a healthy, tanned and attractive lady.
So yes, her appearance could be completely different.

No way in hell do I think LE would not show a recent photo if they thought she was out there somewhere being held in captivity !

It's also telling, imo, that there's no description of the clothing she was wearing .
By the time she was reported missing, the husband had plenty of time to look through her clothing and shoes and see what was gone.

Imo.

Respectfully snipped.
What evidence is presented by LE that a bike factors into this at all?
Every reference I've seen to a bike could have been information seeded by BM. Trace every mention and see where it leads.
I think, actually, that's my point. It's the narrative of the bike that is important, IMO. While the legend of the bike ride continues forward, someone pointed out earlier in one of the threads that the CCSO hasn't mentioned the bike in any official communication since 5/13.

IMO, there are only three options: 1) the bike ride happened and was key in the disappearance 2) the bike never factored into this at all - never happened, wasn't staged and somehow was just wrongly assumed early on or 3) the bike ride never happened and was staged to cover up a crime. If #1, why is there so much secrecy around the bike? Why is it not only unconfirmed by LE, but intentionally no longer even mentioned in press releases? If #2, that raises all kinds of questions of why not only was it reported with the 911 call, but why/how/who reported the details back to the church in Indiana and why TN reported it was found and urged the public to "ask the sheriff" about the condition? If #3, who was pushing the bike narrative and why - and what evidence is there that it was staged?

Look, I could be completely off base and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this, but I've tossed this around in my brain quite a bit and just can't get off this idea....

I've snipped some of the CCSO communication below (bolding mine, all snipped from CCSO press releases and one snip from a MSM report):

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

(snipped from MSM report)
On Wednesday (5/13), Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 while it’s an open investigation, he would not rule out a criminal investigation. He adds the probability of an animal attack is not very high.

The FBI and Colorado Bureau of Investigations are now involved.

Spezze would not say whether they found her bike, or if the husband was in town when she was reported missing.
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 14, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, including the Chaffee County Search and Rescue North and South, continue to search for Suzanne Morphew (age 49), who was reported missing on May 10, 2020

PRESS RELEASE
May 15, 2020 (update)

Nearly 90 investigators searched a 2.5-mile area near County Road 225 and Highway 50 in search of clues into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew (age 49) of Chaffee County, who went missing on May 10, 2020.

PRESS RELEASE
May 16, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Please see attached pictures.)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
and then this:
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part

It is possible she worked as a sub. Quite a few people have commented on local Indianapolis news here that they had her as a teacher. And they seem too young to have been in middle school in the 90s.
I was just going to say this myself. They're around my kids ages and younger that said they had Suzanne for a teacher in Indiana.

MOO speculation

wondering when the lay-dirt job was scheduled for bm to do that on mother’s day? was it maybe a point of contention that bm had to/wanted to work that day?

what justified the search warrant to search the dirt job location.. what was specified as the focus of the search and why.. if it was sm how was le able to justify that in the warrant?

@LietKynes - I disagree that BLM should be able to identify what SM was wearing - you could give my husband a lifetime and he couldn't tell you if any clothing of mine was missing. (Except maybe my John Prine T-shirt; he might notice that missing because I've worn it nonstop since JP died.) And, with a couple of exceptions, I don't think I could identify any of his clothing as missing. Now, if you gave me a shirt and asked whether it belonged to my husband, I could say yes or no. I am not certain he could do that with at least 50% of my clothing, especially athletic wear.

WRT to SM's cancer, not all cancer treatments cause illness, weight loss, and/or hair loss... A friend was diagnosed with breast cancer late last year. Shes underwent six weeks of daily (weekdays) radiation therapy. She never missed a day of work, she still watched her grandson on weekends, and she continued to golf and go to bingo. Etc., etc., etc. The stress alone would have killed me, but my friend only complained that she was a bit extra tired toward the end of the series of radiation treatments. She has gone back for a few checkups and was found to be cancer free (for now). She is now scheduled for annual checkups.

All this is just to say, like everything else in this case, we don't know really much of anything related to SM's cancer/treatments. She could have been very sick, or this could have been a blip on the radar, healthwise. We don't know.

I really don't think this was a spur of the moment thing …as in an argument that got out of control. I wonder how long he had been thinking about it...as in the planning, details.
Is this the new life new wife...syndrome ?

just my moopinion

Spezze would not say whether they found her bike, or if the husband was in town when she was reported missing.
Respectfully snipped by me for focus:

This part has always stood out to me because it seems to me that the sheriff wasn't buying the Denver story right from the start. Whatever excuse that BM told them about why he was there and the dates he gave that he was allegedly there don't appear to be jiving with whatever evidence they have. I was hoping that the sheriff would clear him if he had been there, but so far, no mention of his alibi being airtight, as well as anyone else close to Suzanne.

This is so strange, I want to pull my hair out.

Last edited:
I just had an epiphany. We've all seen the published family photos - what if it's a jealous boyfriend/stalker of one of the daughters? This person would presumably know that the girls were out of town and maybe BM was out working the construction site because there's nothing else to do during a lockdown.

I still remember Mothers always seemed to be the ones to break the bad news to other kids - be it someone love struck , or just a needy pest.

If there is a suspect and it's a minor, that would explain the lack gum flapping on the part of the authorities.

Is it possible that the nephew no longer updates anything because his association with SM's disappearance has had a negative effect on his business? There may be nothing sinister about him going 'dark'.
MOO think that he came out with huge energy to help with a stranger abduction/murder.
Probably he planned to make flyers, do interviews, awareness raising spots to pressure to police to do more and the public to try and help.

But that is not the direction the investigation is going, so what he planned to do simply isn't there any more.

All's quiet on the Western Front, I guess. Hopeful for some news on this case.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about the circumstances around this case.

It certainly seems that SM was vulnerable on this particular weekend. All family members reportedly out of town (though we don't really know if this was a rare or common occurrence, do we?). SM maybe (not to beat a dead horse) on a bike ride alone. House is in a somewhat remote area (though apparently fairly popular to hikers/bikers). Cell coverage is spotty.

All that leads to the big question of whether this was premeditated (and the perp was orchestrating the vulnerability) or if it was a crime of opportunity (someone took advantage of the vulnerability) or if it's not related to motive (ie, crime of passion) but these were factors that enabled a cover-up of a crime of passion.

This is why I do think the bike is the key - because if the bike was not staged, I think that fact alone clearly rules out crime of passion and cover up. I also think if the bike was not staged, a premeditated theory gets far more complicated (planning an ambush on a bike ride?) and far more unlikely. So if the bike was not staged, I think a crime of opportunity is clearly at the top of the list and your list of possible suspects is limitless. If, however, there is evidence to support a staging of the bicycle, then premeditation or crime of passion are much more likely, IMO, than a crime of opportunity, and your list of possible suspects is pretty small.

Taking LEs actions from about day 3 forward, it seems rather clear to me that they believe the bike was staged and their list of possible suspects is short (though I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's only BM on that possible suspect list). JMO, MOO.

<modsnip>
Nailed it...and even tho the most obvious scenario is the one we see being pursued,
hopefully the other is being less publicly assessed and pursued, eliminated... w/ much less scrutiny...JMO
The bike is a major pivot point.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO speculation

wondering when the lay-dirt job was scheduled for bm to do that on mother’s day? was it maybe a point of contention that bm had to/wanted to work that day?

what justified the search warrant to search the dirt job location.. what was specified as the focus of the search and why.. if it was sm how was le able to justify that in the warrant?

Also, was the dirt job scheduled for say several days after Mother’s Day and he went ahead and did the job early...

Opinion - We need a "pacing the floor" or "twiddling our thumbs" emoji for this low info case........moo
Gives us plenty of time and space to come up with varied stories, doesn't it? My subconscious is really working this one with so little to go on and ironically some things just keep repeating. It's a mystery. Funny how we hang on to ideas in the void.

I think, actually, that's my point. It's the narrative of the bike that is important, IMO. While the legend of the bike ride continues forward, someone pointed out earlier in one of the threads that the CCSO hasn't mentioned the bike in any official communication since 5/13.

IMO, there are only three options: 1) the bike ride happened and was key in the disappearance 2) the bike never factored into this at all - never happened, wasn't staged and somehow was just wrongly assumed early on or 3) the bike ride never happened and was staged to cover up a crime. If #1, why is there so much secrecy around the bike? Why is it not only unconfirmed by LE, but intentionally no longer even mentioned in press releases? If #2, that raises all kinds of questions of why not only was it reported with the 911 call, but why/how/who reported the details back to the church in Indiana and why TN reported it was found and urged the public to "ask the sheriff" about the condition? If #3, who was pushing the bike narrative and why - and what evidence is there that it was staged?

Look, I could be completely off base and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this, but I've tossed this around in my brain quite a bit and just can't get off this idea....

I've snipped some of the CCSO communication below (bolding mine, all snipped from CCSO press releases and one snip from a MSM report):

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

(snipped from MSM report)
On Wednesday (5/13), Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 while it’s an open investigation, he would not rule out a criminal investigation. He adds the probability of an animal attack is not very high.

The FBI and Colorado Bureau of Investigations are now involved.

Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 14, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, including the Chaffee County Search and Rescue North and South, continue to search for Suzanne Morphew (age 49), who was reported missing on May 10, 2020

PRESS RELEASE
May 15, 2020 (update)

Nearly 90 investigators searched a 2.5-mile area near County Road 225 and Highway 50 in search of clues into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew (age 49) of Chaffee County, who went missing on May 10, 2020.

PRESS RELEASE
May 16, 2020

PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020

On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Please see attached pictures.)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
and then this:
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part
I pick door number 3.

Exactly.
I'm trying to explain why LE might have been so focused from the get go that it didn't even release a current photo of SM. We actually have no idea what she looks like. Could be very different from the photos that keep getting published, because those aren't current. People can change physically ALOT in a few months.
And yes, I'm proposing what you say: there was a dossier of investigatory material BEFORE SM went missing. The investigatory material may or may not have been an exactly related topic, but LE knew a bunch of stuff in advance. IMO.
It's very possible. Given the description of BM by family as somewhat controlling, and their involvement in a fairly fundamentalist church that positions the man as the "head of the household," that suggests a pretty coercive and oppressive environment for SM. LE may have been contacted previously regarding domestic violence. IMO

While most bets are on BM, there are others that might work with/for BM and be right along side him on jobsites. They might be questioned about BM, or their own whereabouts, so I await those far more in the know than me to name a POI. A lot just isn’t quite right.

I pick door number 3.
I pick door number 3.
There are so many items and people my mind comes up with to investigate and question other than that stupid bike. I bet the people of that town could tell you a lot and so many things need to be looked at. There is an adage that if you take the average of everyone's guesses for weight and height at the fair the truth can be found in the middle. Getting everyone's input is similar and I wonder what it is like to be in that town right now with everything being so tight lipped. Are people afraid to talk? Are they gossiping more? Who thinks what and why. The answer is there and someone knows something. So much time wasted on that bike. So much more to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288