CO CO-Weld County, WhtFem, Adult-Pre30, UP98434, Skeleton found on river by hunters, Nov '73

ctaylor

Reaction score
Just came across this unusual story that was published on Saturday. Very few details and nothing on Doe Network but thought I would post it in the small chance someone might find a connection...

LINN GROVE CEMETERY — It turns a dark gray color in the morning rain, this small concrete tombstone stamped “Henneck Farm Skull.” It’s located in the far east section of the city’s cemetery, and no one really knows who is buried here.

In fact, in this grave, where the tombstone states there is one skull buried, there are actually two skulls, buried almost four decades ago.

Cemetery records show the two skulls were found a year and about 20 miles apart, one near Platteville, the other near Greeley.

It was 38 years ago, in November 1973, when the skull, leg bones and some ribs of a woman were found in the St. Vrain River by goose hunters west of Platteville. The woman, believed to be 26 to 29 years old, has never been identified. Found with the bones were some brown denim pants and a red knit sweater.

More at article....
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20110430/NEWS/704309895

Ted Bundy victims??

Ted Bundy was in Colorado in 1975. He may have been there earlier, but there are no known crimes attributable to him in Colorado during or before 1973. Most of his crimes from the early 70's were in Washington and Oregon.

Delores House is the only woman on my list from that area and that time-period. But she is a little older than the age estimate.

house_dolores.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/house_dolores.html

Additional Quote from the above-linked article
“They thought they had a missing woman from the 1970s who could have matched those bones,” Noonan said.

After checking, the clothing that was found with the body didn’t match the other missing woman, Roberts said. “But we’re going to continue to look into it.”

The detectives said they might be able to exhume the bones and find a DNA connection to missing persons.
However, until they find a missing person case that appears to connect to either the “Henneck Farm Skull” or the Platteville skeleton, the detectives probably won’t exhume the bones.

I wonder if it was Delores House that they were referring to.

I cannot find any more references online to these 2 deceased. There are no CO cases in Namus 1973-6 inclusive, nor in DoeNetwork for an even wider span of years. Emailed the Greeley (Weld Co) Coroner's office to see if it's possible to get them listed in Namus and other dbases.

Last edited:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found November 19, 1973​

Location Found Weld County, Colorado​

Sex Female​

Race/Ethnicity White/Caucasian​

Estimated Age Group Adult- Pre30​

Height 5'1"-5'4" (61-64 inches), Estimated​

Weight Cannot Estimate​

Location Colorado​

County Weld County​

Found On Tribal Land No​

Circumstances of Recovery A partially clothed skeleton was found on the bank of the St. Vrain River by hunters.​

Condition of Remains Not recognizable- Partial skeletal parts only​

Hair Color Unknown​

Eye Color Unknown​

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

The Weld County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help to identify a woman who was found dead in 1973.

The sheriff’s office said the woman’s body was discovered on Nov. 19, 1973, four miles west of Platteville.

The woman was possibly between the ages of 23 and 25, and approximately 5 feet 2 inches, the sheriff’s office said.

Facial reconstruction of woman who’s by was found in 1973
If you recognize the woman, please contact WCSO Cold Case Detective Byron Kastilahn, 970-400-2827. Anyone with information regarding this or any other crime is asked to call the Weld County Sheriff’s Office at 970-356-4015 or Northern Colorado Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Oof, I need opinions. The age would be off but I see a resemblance between the doe and this runaway but can't quite put my finger on it.

Attachments

• Fort_Collins_Coloradoan_1971_10_01_page_3.jpg
    Fort_Collins_Coloradoan_1971_10_01_page_3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 25
I have tried to find further articles on them but without luck... typical runaway situation. Could have gone either way..

You are absolutely right though, I'll ask Fort Collins first.
I couldn't find any definitive records on Ancestry since the name is so common.

21 November 1973, Fort Collins Coloradoan, pg 2
1689801204770.png

26 November 1973, The Daily Sentinal, pg 1
1689801272886.png

29 November 1973, Greenly Daily Tribune, pg 6
1689801327661.png

"King said labratory studies of the partial skeleton by the Colorado Beureau of Investigation show it to be that of a Caucasian female, about 5'2", between 26 and 29 years old."

"She was wearing brown denim hip-huggers and a red, short sleeved [pullover] knit sweater at the time of her death."

9 May 1974, Greenly Daily Tribune, pg 3
1689801669906.png

21 November 1973, Fort Collins Coloradoan, pg 2
View attachment 435842

26 November 1973, The Daily Sentinal, pg 1
View attachment 435843

29 November 1973, Greenly Daily Tribune, pg 6
View attachment 435844

"King said labratory studies of the partial skeleton by the Colorado Beureau of Investigation show it to be that of a Caucasian female, about 5'2", between 26 and 29 years old."

"She was wearing brown denim hip-huggers and a red, short sleeved [pullover] knit sweater at the time of her death."

9 May 1974, Greenly Daily Tribune, pg 3
View attachment 435846
I wonder who that woman was? Even if she doesn't match the description, we have seen how often things are off in these cases...

I found one case from 1955, but I don't know if the remains could have been there that long... She's also slightly too old and short. Distance is good though.

I wonder who that woman was? Even if she doesn't match the description, we have seen how often things are off in these cases...

I found one case from 1955, but I don't know if the remains could have been there that long... She's also slightly too old and short. Distance is good though.

The best matching MP I can find from a neighboring state is Dennise Sullivan. She disappeared in Utah in 1961. Again, not sure about PMI or distance on this one.
Original
Original

Dennise Sullivan MP8784Weld County Jane Doe UP98434
SexFemaleFemale
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucasian
Age15Unknown - Possibly 18 - 29
DLC/DODJuly 4, 1961Unknown
Height5'5'1 - 5'5
Weight90 poundsUnknown
Hair ColorBrownUnknown
Eye ColorBrownUnknown
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneUnknown/None
CircumstancesWhile on vacation with parents, encountered man who claimed to have car trouble. He had a gun, and shot Dennise's mother and her mother's fiancé, before abducting Dennise.Partially clothed remains found in Weld County, CO, by hunters. Clothing was recovered.
DistanceMoab - Weld County421 miles

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back