Colorado Wildfires 2018 *Arrest*

“Firefighters are continuing to patrol the area adjacent to Highway 550. They'll focus on mopping up any hotspots in an effort to keep the fire west of the highway and away from structures.

Fire crews are also constructing indirect fire lines and thinning fuels to create a fire break to prevent the fire from impacting Purgatory Resort.“

More evacuations as the 416 Fire grows to 16,766 acres

“While the cause of the fire, which started on June 1, remains unknown, one man told The Durango Herald he first reported the fire after a coal-fired train passed by his house and he saw a “wisp of smoke.” Cres Fleming, another local resident who saw the fire early on said he started fighting it immediately.

“It was moving incredibly fast,” Fleming said. “I fired a stream of water and dragged a hose up the hill, which is hard for me because I’m not exactly young anymore.”“

Colorado fire 416 nearly doubles in size, new evacuations in order

“Fleming added “I’m a real supporter of the train. It pains me deeply to have this happen because I know it is going to hurt the railroad a lot. But I’m giving it to you like it is. I don’t want to shade anything, just state what I remember.”

The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which operated the coal-fired train is not taking responsibility for the fire until an investigation is completed.

“We are working with the investigators to see what the cause is,” John Harper, the General Manager of the company told The Durango Herald. “We don’t know who or what started it yet. It’s not that we will never take responsibility, it’s just that right now, because we don’t know the facts, we’re not going to take initial responsibility until the investigation process is finished,” he said.“

Colorado fire 416 nearly doubles in size, new evacuations in order

“June 11 (Reuters) - Gusting winds driving the flames of a largely uncontrolled wildfire are expected to keep fanning the blaze through an 11th day on Monday on the bone-dry hills of southwest Colorado, where more than 2,000 homes have already been evacuated.

“This is not good news for them,” said Bob Oravec, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service’s Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland.

“There’s no rain in sight and the winds are going to be 15 mph with higher gusts all day. That’s a bad combination,” he said.”

Winds Fanning Colorado Wildfire Won't Die Down Until Tuesday | HuffPost

“In Eagle County along Interstate 70, deputies were looking for three men in a red-and-white pickup linked to the start of a 415-acre Fire...”

Snip

“On Monday morning, some firefighters working on the Durango fire were expected to move west to where the Burro fire in the San Juan National Forest was burning, out of control, across 1,000 acres. Forest managers deemed hiking along the Colorado Trail too risky on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Eagle County sheriff deputies and firefighters scrambled on Sunday to deal with the Bocco fire, which broke out Saturday afternoon at the Wolcott public gun shooting range, holding it to 415 acres, county spokeswoman Kris Widlak said.“

Colorado wildfires rage statewide, new blazes likely with dry conditions, wind gusts expected

(I love this new software format the where the link automatically includes the title)

Sheriff’s office looking for 3 people seen in area where Bocco Fire started

“EAGLE COUNTY, Colo. — The Eagle County Sheriff’s Office is asking for help in identifying three individuals who were seen in the area when the Bocco Fire started in Eagle County on Saturday.

The people are described as three white males with long hair driving a red and white truck, the sheriff’s office said. Authorities said a white sedan was also seen leaving the area at a high rate of speed around the same time.“

—————

3 men wanted as Bocco Fire burns more than 400 acres in Eagle County

South Dakota firefighter Bill Wenzel helps protect homes during 416 Fire

“Of all the assignments he has had over his career, the 416 Fire is one of the most difficult fires he has fought.

“It’s been in the top 10 ...,” Wenzel said. “The environment, the rough terrain in the wilderness area on the other side (of Hermosa Cliffs), it all makes this fire so tough.””

“On Sunday, seven helicopters helped the 813 firefighters battling the fire. Officials are preparing to battle the blaze for a long time, said Shawn Bawden, a fire information officer.

“This is a long-duration event,” he said. “Firefighters will be here as long as it takes to get the job done.”“

Weather makes fighting 416 Fire tough

“What you need to know

Evacuation and shelter centers
Escalante Middle School, 141 Baker Lane in Durango. Open 24 hours a day.
Silverton Town Hall, 1360 Greene St., in Silverton. Open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
Those affected by evacuations must check in at an evacuation site to receive resident credentials. This is crucial for preparedness, identifying and securing resources for evacuees, and for return access when fire conditions become safe.
Community resources
La Plata County government hotline for residents evacuating: (970) 385-8700.
Livestock can be evacuated to La Plata County Fairgrounds, 2500 Main Ave.
Four Corners Back Country Horsemen will assist with horse and livestock evacuations, call (570) 228-1340.
The Browning Ranch in Farmington volunteered to host horses during evacuations. Call Chris Maedche (505) 681-3595.
Small animals can be evacuated to La Plata County Humane Society, 111 South Camino del Rio.
Tips for pre-evacuation
For people who received a pre-evacuation notice, these steps can improve their safety and expedite departure should an evacuation become necessary.
Inside the house
Gather medications.
Pack a bag with clothing and essentials.
Shut off air conditioning and fans.
Shut all windows and doors before leaving.
If you have time, gather paperwork and photographs that cannot be replaced.
Outside the house
Gather flammable items and bring them inside (patio furniture, children’s toys, door mats, trash cans, etc.).
Move propane barbecue appliances away from structures.
Connect garden hoses to outside water valves or spigots for use by firefighters.
Fill water buckets and place them around the house.
Don’t leave sprinklers or water running; this can affect critical water pressure.
Leave exterior lights on so your home is visible to firefighters in the smoke or darkness of night.
Back your car into the driveway with vehicle loaded and all doors and windows closed. Carry your car keys with you.
Animals
Locate your pets and keep them nearby.
Prepare livestock for transport and plan to move them to a safe location early.
Pack food and medications for your pets.
Insurance
Take pictures of the interior of your house to remember and document personal possessions.
Determine what is sentimental and can’t be replaced.
Donations
Community Foundation Serving Southwest Colorado is accepting monetary donations for Community Emergency Relief Fund. This fund is set up for broad-based community emergencies in Southwest Colorado. The Advisory Committee is working with government agencies and local businesses to develop a strategy for distributing the funds raised. Efforts will support local people and efforts related to 416 Fire. To donate to CERF, residents can send a check to The Community Foundation, P.O. Box 1673, Durango, CO 81302 or donate online at www.swcommunityfoundation.org
Donations of clothing and household items accepted at Discover Goodwill of Durango, 1230 Escalante Drive.
Financial donations can be made to the Community Emergency Relief Fund by calling (970) 375-5807.“

Weather makes fighting 416 Fire tough

Fire Evacuation Orders For 2,000 Colorado Homes

“Residents of over 2,000 homes have now been ordered to evacuate because of a wildfire burning in southwestern Colorado in extreme conditions. The fire burning north of Durango has burned at least 26 square miles. (June 11)“

(I’m noticing posts in this thread aren’t coming up under “new posts”?)

“What you need to know

Donations
Community Foundation Serving Southwest Colorado is accepting monetary donations for Community Emergency Relief Fund. This fund is set up for broad-based community emergencies in Southwest Colorado. The Advisory Committee is working with government agencies and local businesses to develop a strategy for distributing the funds raised. Efforts will support local people and efforts related to 416 Fire. To donate to CERF, residents can send a check to The Community Foundation, P.O. Box 1673, Durango, CO 81302 or donate online at www.swcommunityfoundation.org
Donations of clothing and household items accepted at Discover Goodwill of Durango, 1230 Escalante Drive.
Financial donations can be made to the Community Emergency Relief Fund by calling (970) 375-5807.“

Lots of great information(snipped by me to minimize duplication) on evacuations and what to do in your post(s). Thank you for getting all this info together in one place and working so hard to keep up with these fast-moving wildfire stories.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back