Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://middletownpress.com/articles/2013/01/07/news/doc50eafa684d376010423646.txt
Stratford mayor wants new school named for Newtown teacher Victoria Soto
Harkins proposed Monday to give Soto's name to a new school planned for the site of the Honeyspot Elementary School. Construction is set to begin this summer.

The name must be approved by the town council, which is expected to take up the matter on Jan. 14.

This article says the same.http://www.courant.com/community/stratford/hc-stratford-soto-school-0108-20130107,0,5325524.story

WTNH is also carrying the story.
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/connecticut/Stratford-mayor-Name-school-for-Newtown-teacher-cpa

I think all six of women - Dawn Hochsprung, Mary Sherlach, Lauren Rousseau, Victoria Soto, Rachel D'Avino, and Anne Marie Murphy - deserve recognition. Now more than ever I shake my head at the way celebrities are revered as heroes in our society. I can't think of one celebrity that would have done what these women did for those children.

To Newtown, From Broadway With Love

On December 14, 2012, tragedy struck Sandy Hook Elementary School and our nation mourned with the residents of Newtown, Connecticut. As the town slowly attempts to recover, Broadway stars, producers, writers, and directors will lend their voices in support. "From Broadway with Love: A Benefit Concert For Sandy Hook" will take place on January 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm at the Palace Theater in Waterbury, CT, 20 minutes from Newtown. All proceeds and donations will go to United Way of Western Connecticut's Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

"From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Sandy Hook" will feature song, dance, and other appearances from some of the biggest names on Broadway, together with select students from various Newtown choirs and dance groups.

Newtown Politician to Gabby Giffords: ‘Stay Out of My Towns!!’

Connecticut legislator DebraLee Hovey, a six-term Republican state representative for the towns of Monroe and Newtown, had some candid, if ill-advised words for Gabrielle Giffords, who visited with victims of the Sandy Hook shooting on Friday. "Gabby Gifford [sic] stay out of my towns!!" Hovey wrote on her then-public Facebook, via mobile from Saint Pete Beach, Florida. "It was political," she elaborated in the comments, according to cringey screenshots obtained by the Hartford.

Hamill: Sandy Hook’s heroes give us hope for ’13

In the week I spent in Sandy Hook, a borough of Newtown, human sadness coated the immaculate streets like a sticky lacquer that clung to the soles of your shoes. You couldn’t walk 10 feet without seeing a teenage girl with runny mascara, a grown man bawling into his open hands, a policeman trying to shield his eyes with sunglasses on an overcast day.

The endless burials, the mournful church bells, the parade of relatives and town folk draped in black, the flags at half-staff and even the black crows in glum rank in the leafless trees in the Yuletide was more human sorrow than any one town should ever have to bear.

Even the sky wept drizzly rain.

But now that first snow has laid a blanket of white over this town of gloom and a new year peals from the white steeples of Newtown, it is time to also celebrate those who defied that blazing muzzle of death to protect precious young lives.

Cheer them at midnight.

Let’s make them rise one more time as one extraordinary group, the way they all stood up to the Monster in Sandy Hook Elementary.

Together they are the Person of the Year of 2012.

I think all six of women - Dawn Hochsprung, Mary Sherlach, Lauren Rousseau, Victoria Soto, Rachel D'Avino, and Anne Marie Murphy - deserve recognition. Now more than ever I shake my head at the way celebrities are revered as heroes in our society. I can't think of one celebrity that would have done what these women did for those children.

I absolutely agree with you. I hope all the hero's in this get the recognition they deserve for laying down their lives to try to protect their students.
As far as celebrities go.. there is not any of them that I think of as a hero. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of them are not role models for our children or even adults. I will give some credit for donating to worthy causes, but that's about it.

Thank you. From Trumbull and have family in Newtown so this is a personal story for me. Just realized today reading the threads that a cousin's wife was interviewed as a survivor.

Connecticut legislator DebraLee Hovey, a six-term Republican state representative for the towns of Monroe and Newtown, had some candid, if ill-advised words for Gabrielle Giffords, who visited with victims of the Sandy Hook shooting on Friday. "Gabby Gifford [sic] stay out of my towns!!" Hovey wrote on her then-public Facebook, via mobile from Saint Pete Beach, Florida. "It was political," she elaborated in the comments, according to cringey screenshots obtained by the Hartford.

That makes me sick! Gabby is not running for office. Maybe if DebraLee had gone through what Gabby did, she would be snarling a different tune

That makes me sick! Gabby is not running for office. Maybe if DebraLee had gone through what Gabby did, she would be snarling a different tune

ITA. What an awful thing to say to Gabby Giffords.

Ugh... why would she say anything about it if that's what she had to say about someone who was shot herself, I think that's just horrible.

Even after reading the article (with included generic apology), I'm still having trouble establishing a context that would cause the CT Legislator to say such things... Honestly it sounds like drunk Facebooking, but I have no context to back that up... just a thought, not a fact or accusation...

This is worth a listen if you haven't already .. it's Dave Cullen speaking on his book Columbine on True Murder ... interesting insights - dispels a few myths ...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dan-zupansky1/2011/02/03/columbine-author-dave-cullen

Thanks for sharing this, I've downloaded it and will give it a listen later. If it's super tinfoil hat then you're off the 2013 holiday card list LOL :D Just kidding, I don't know much about Columbine besides Msm and Mikey Moore so I'm liking forward to hearing it.

SUGAR --- Yeah, I agree, the faculty all need Congressional Medals of honor...including the custodian

I sent an email to a friend from high school..he and his wife cover the White House for major media networks and have asked both if they can mention an award for the Sandy Hook faculty...I hope to hear at least something back

Hamill: Sandy Hook’s heroes give us hope for ’13

In the week I spent in Sandy Hook, a borough of Newtown, human sadness coated the immaculate streets like a sticky lacquer that clung to the soles of your shoes. You couldn’t walk 10 feet without seeing a teenage girl with runny mascara, a grown man bawling into his open hands, a policeman trying to shield his eyes with sunglasses on an overcast day.

The endless burials, the mournful church bells, the parade of relatives and town folk draped in black, the flags at half-staff and even the black crows in glum rank in the leafless trees in the Yuletide was more human sorrow than any one town should ever have to bear.

Even the sky wept drizzly rain.

But now that first snow has laid a blanket of white over this town of gloom and a new year peals from the white steeples of Newtown, it is time to also celebrate those who defied that blazing muzzle of death to protect precious young lives.

Cheer them at midnight.

Let’s make them rise one more time as one extraordinary group, the way they all stood up to the Monster in Sandy Hook Elementary.

Together they are the Person of the Year of 2012.

Very nice writing, Fragile. I could imagine it and visualize it in my mind. I am so sad but must be hopeful, too.

http://middletownpress.com/articles/2013/01/07/news/doc50eafa684d376010423646.txt
Harkins proposed Monday to give Soto's name to a new school planned for the site of the Honeyspot Elementary School. Construction is set to begin this summer.

The name must be approved by the town council, which is expected to take up the matter on Jan. 14.

This article says the same.http://www.courant.com/community/stratford/hc-stratford-soto-school-0108-20130107,0,5325524.story

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/connecticut/Stratford-mayor-Name-school-for-Newtown-teacher-cpa

I wonder how this makes the families of the other teachers/principal feel? Should they not include all, instead of selecting just one teacher?

I wonder how this makes the families of the other teachers/principal feel? Should they not include all, instead of selecting just one teacher?

I was about to ask the same thing. WHY not name a school after all the teacher's ...maybe with all their names used somehow. Moo

I've been hearing the Sandy Hook school will be closed forever...maybe demolished..I don't for sure...Maybe that was just people over-reacting

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yes -- it is not overreacting. There is no way you can send elementary school-aged kids back into that place. Perhaps the building can be rededicated to some other purpose, but its days as an elementary school are done. Try to imagine it from the perspective of a child.

I was about to ask the same thing. WHY not name a school after all the teacher's ...maybe with all their names used somehow. Moo

Victoria Soto was a Stratford resident - born and raised there I believe.

I've been hearing the Sandy Hook school will be closed forever...maybe demolished..I don't for sure...Maybe that was just people over-reacting

Anyone have thoughts on this?

One of the mothers (Jesse's I think) said her hope is that they tear down the school and turn it in to a park where children can play the way her son used to.

People grieve differently. Some families may not want a public "reminder". And some may just not be ready to make such a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks