Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is so long I'm just jumping in here. Forgive me if some of this has already been said.

First, I can't imagine how anyone could do this. I just don't have the ability to fathom that level of mental illness

I've heard that the classroom he targeted was his mother's. I don't know if she was killed before school and was a regular teacher or what. If it's true he targeted his mother's classroom, he was enraged at his mother. Not only did he want to kill her, but he wanted to kill the children she loved. Playing amateur psychiatrist here. I think he felt like she cared more about her students than she did about him. I think it was something regarding this that set him off. JMO

The next thing I'm going to say may be offensive to some, but it's how I feel. I have zero sympathy for his mother. She didn't deserve to die, but she purchased her own, and the children's deaths. IMO, there is absolutely no reason someone needs to own an assault rifle. They are used for "target" practice mostly. She purchased them and did so legally. IMO, a gun that is legal is only legal until it's used illegally.

There are 26 people from that school who are dead now because of that gun. You can say well he would have killed his mother with a knife. I agree. However, I doubt he would have been able to kill 26 people in the school with a knife before he was stopped. JMO

One more thing. I support the second amendment and a persons right to own a weapon. However, there should be much stricter limits to owning one and there are a lot of types that should be illegal.

In order to drive a car, I have to take a written test, then I have to have an official test me on the road to be sure I know how to handle a car. I'd love to be able to take a Formula 1 car on the highway, but if everybody was allowed to own one then there'd be a lot of traffic accidents and deaths.

In order to get a gun, please correct me if I'm wrong, you have to pass a written test only. You don't have to go to a police firearms range and prove you know how to safely use one and can shoot fairly straight. I believe the same rules that apply to getting a drivers license should apply to getting a gun.

All of that is JMO

About the AR...
I think the AR was found in the car.
I don't think he used it in the shooting.

I am not defending ARs. Just wanted to say what I had heard.

And I have a ton of sympathy for his Mom. She was shot in the face by her son. Who I'm sure she loved unconditionally.

JMO

I am very troubled why he was taken away in HANDCUFFS for questioning.

why?

I think if he is just collateral damage from the shooter that was a VERY BAD choice in how to take him in to talk to him.

moo
This was apparently only a precaution because so much about this horrific crime was unknown at the time the police located him (according to news reports discussing this question on CNN). His ID was also used by the killer.

Maybe we need a type of "US Marshall's" placed in schoolsas
well? Just like on planes?
Of course they would need training and certification...
OR....
Have ex Cia Fbi LE officers play janitiors? Bus monitors?
IDK:banghead:

I guess "it" commuted suicide I WISH he have been______________.
ya know?

As good ol' (wink) Nancy Grace said today, there are certain tragedies we can never fully protect against or prevent. Maybe armed marshals would help reduce casualties but likely not all. Arming teachers would probably be mostly worthless unless they were trained soldiers or law enforcement and were anticipating an attack with a loaded arsenal at their finger tips. Otherwise, while they stand there, a gunman could rush in and kill the teacher as well as multiple students before the teacher ever had the opportunity to a) come out of shock and b) grab their firearm and c) point it and take down the armed gunman without accidentally killing anyone else.

Having a gun in class would be totally useless for most teachers in such a surprise situation.

Again, my best prevention is for society to stop giving these da%n monsters the notoriety and publicity they crave. Don't publicize their names! Don't repeat their names! Don't post their photos! Just stop!!!!!

We can actually talk about them and their histories without doing that!!!! We can!

My mom is telling me that the car at the school parking lot had New Jersey plates. This was reported earlier today on CNN. Is this true? I also read that he took his MOM`s car after killing her. Did her car have New Jersey plates or is this more erroneous info?

I had read that also. I do not think that information has been confirmed yet.

This was apparently only a precaution because so much about this horrific crime was unknown at the time the police located him (according to news reports discussing this question on CNN). His ID was also used by the killer.

I agree.... just sad never the less.. how far radiating this thing will go...

Also NJ plates... maybe he was rooming with his brother?

I think we're about to need a new thread (hint-hint). This one's laboriously long.

I am very troubled why he was taken away in HANDCUFFS for questioning.

why?

I think if he is just collateral damage from the shooter that was a VERY BAD choice in how to take him in to talk to him.

moo

cray cray

ATTENTION PLEASE!

First of all, please stop talking about gun control on this thread. We've goT a thread for gun control downstairs. I'll be moving the gun control mentioned posts to the other thread in a moment.

I'm also going to be locking this thread in a few minutes, after I open a new thread.

Don't forget to listen to Tricia and Levi at 7 p.m. PST or 10 p.m. EST here

http://www.spreecast.com/events/sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting

TIA for your cooperation,
fran

Problem is....some don't want to be anything, they don't want to do anything. I guess we can thank Dr. Spock and his "don't spank your children" garbage for that.

OK, I normally don't take comments to heart but if you think this man would have turned out differently if he was spanked is beyond belief IMO. whos to say he wasnt? I don't spank my kids. I don't have a problem with those who do but each parent needs to feel comfortable with how they teach their kids. I have never read that hitting or not hitting your child will prevent violence. I think we ALL need to take a breath here on this topic. IMO

I'll be over at Spreecast to view Tricia & Levi Page's discussion. I'll try to continue following here, too.

They werent assault weapons.

One was a .223 which is a standard semi-automatic used mostly for hunting and it was left in the vehicle and never used.

The others were just handguns. A Sig and a Glock iirc.

I am a woman and I own 5 deer rifles and three handguns......one which is a Glock.

IMO

Self deleted after reading Fran's post and realizing that my post may have went over the line. Sorry!

OK, I normally don't take comments to heart but if you think this man would have turned out differently if he was spanked is beyond belief IMO. whos to say he wasnt? I don't spank my kids. I don't have a problem with those who do but each parent needs to feel comfortable with how they teach their kids. I have never read that hitting or not hitting your child will prevent violence. I think we ALL need to take a breath here on this topic. IMO

I'm going to agree with you. I think there are FEW men in prison who, had they only been physically punished more would have led a productive life. I think it's exactly the opposite. There are probably few men in prison who weren't beaten as children.

I, with my little ones just having left not long ago to spend the night with their grandparents, think I'm going to have to step away from a bit, go grab a coffee and book at the coffee shop and try to get a grip, frankly. I have been here reading all day. I have heard multiple reporters say, (and I'm paraphrasing here) something like, "Hopefully once we have more information, we can begin to understand what led this 'man' to kill these children."

Ugghhh, where do I begin? I don't think there is any amount of information, mental health diagnoses, gun statistics and arguments that will help me "understand" what this monster did, or lend a justifiable reason why. I don't think I am capable of "understanding" this.

I have 3 children, am in my mid 30's.. my middle child is 5, in Kindergarten. I visit her class often; I know what kindergarten classrooms are like.

What I "understand" is that this 'man' walked into this classroom, likely with kids laughing, playing with blocks and puzzles on the floor covered with brightly colored rugs, working on Christmas crafts to bring home to their Mommies and Daddies, and murdered them. All of them.

Nothing will ever make me understand this. Why I still want to know the who, the where, the details, I can't even explain to myself, because it won't make me understand; won't give me the "why".

I got home from work and went to my daughter's room first and hugged her and told her I loved her. She giggled like only a 5 year old can and asked, "Why are you squeezing me so TIGHT?" I told her, "Because I CAN, sweetheart."

With the families and the victims occupying a HUGE chunk of my heart tonight, I'll say goodnight for now, and try to think about something else for a bit.

ABC's 20/20 is also going to be reporting live from Newtown at 10pm EST.

Can we stop the blaming? This thread is hard enough to process without hearing people attack our own kids, and our own choices. When you throw out blame- you're attacking other innocent members here who are productive members of society.

FWIW I completely agree. IMO, we have raised the biggest generation of wusses I've ever seen. Inability to cope with problems and/or not having everything the way they envisioned. Partly to blame are the parents who said, like a mantra, "you can be anything you want."
Maybe you raised that kind? But my kids, and most of their peers are some of the best young adults I've met in my life. They are far superior (intellectually, emotionally, and in terms of maturation) than me and my peers when we were their age. They are raising money for charities, doing volunteer work, and fighting for human rights before I was even aware of the term. I am so thankful to be surrounded by some of the strongest youths I've ever had the privilege of knowing. They are working HARD for their place in society.

Every generation comes along and tells tomorrows kids how much better they were as kids. And that is sad. Don't you remember being told how worthless your generation is? How productive was that? It's a MYTH with roots in the human tendency to romanticize history. History is gory, though.

Problem is....some don't want to be anything, they don't want to do anything. I guess we can thank Dr. Spock and his "don't spank your children" garbage for that.

Above mentioned teens? Yeah, not spanked.

Do some college level research on the topic, spanking is not a cure all. In fact, long term studies suggest the opposite. Academia tells us that there is not a correlation between non-violent parents and violent children.

PLEASE, do not make this tragedy into your place to preach hateful messages about people who make different parenting choices than you.

PLEASE do not make this tragedy into a soapbox for telling the youth of today that they are pathetic, because they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4