Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
:what:
:grouphug:

Bless you!
I am so sorry for what you have been through!
:seeya: So proud that you have been able to cope!

AND... think you may be right! ~ sadly...
Ya can't fix evil.

MOO

Thank you!
I would LOVE to be wrong, but I have seen to much evil since joining here (not WS fault).

Exactly......and look at what that got her? If my theory is correct, AL would have been enraged at her for going against his wishes and deserting him. How dare she?

My point is that I'm thinking NL had a lot less control over her life and the home---I think she may have been living in fear of AL, and it was growing???

Just bouncing off your post because it reminded me of something I thought of a while ago.
Maybe she went away to the spa because in some way ( motherly instinct) she knew he was going to hurt her and she wanted one last moment for herself.
Not saying she knew exactly what was going to happen, but had a "feeling" that some of us get.
(In no way do I blame her for anything. I consider her a victim.)

Just bouncing off your post because it reminded me of something I thought of a while ago.
Maybe she went away to the spa because in some way ( motherly instinct) she knew he was going to hurt her and she wanted one last moment for herself.
Not saying she knew exactly what was going to happen, but had a "feeling" that some of us get.
(In no way do I blame her for anything. I consider her a victim.)

Well, if she had any such feelings, her best bet would have been to remove the guns from her house. Not go to the spa.

Well, if she had any such feelings, her best bet would have been to remove the guns from her house. Not go to the spa.

What if she took the key to the gun safe with her?

What if somehow, Adam got a gun outside of a gun safe and shot his mother in the face four times, to get access to more guns?

What if....what if...what if....

What if we didn't have evil people in the world?

If Adam didn't have a gun to get to the keys that held the guns, I would think he would have used whatever force he could to get to those's key or guns.

Adam was intent on damage. Guns or not, he would have found the means.

He may not have gotten a gun if none were in the home. I argued with my husband that even a dope dealer might not sell him a gun. He'd have to get within 3 feet of a stranger and actually speak to get a gun. I can just see an emaciated wild eyed guy who wouldn't speak or make eye contact out buying a gun at walmart or where ever. I do believe he would have hurt his mom no matter what, but not all those little kids and teachers. He was too freakish and cowardly to get out of his hole very long to gather weapons.

Asperger's didn't cause this killer to have or act on homicidal thoughts.

Mental health promotion serves as a protective factor for mental illness (can prevent depression/suicidal/homicidal thoughts). If we want senseless random acts of violence to decrease, mental health promotion and prevention must be approached with the same vigor and resources as physical disorders have been approached.

Besides addiction, have you ever seen a national campaign to increase awareness of mental illness or to promote mental health? How about a national campaign to encourage people to seek immediate treatment for specific symptoms of mental illness? Does anyone offer free mental health screenings? There are many free BP, diabetes, bone density, cholesterol, scoliosis, cancer screenings, and others in my area, but not a single free mental health screen for any mental problem. The police are the mental health "screeners" in most areas. They are, sadly, called to screen only when something horrible has happened or is about to happen. :(

There are also huge financial limitations to receiving mental health care even if a problem is identified and is treatable. This killer didn't have financial limitations that denied him appropriate care, but for most others, this needs to change.

Excellent post!
I was actually just having a conversation with a US FB friend this morning about this.
I remember when I first started watching tv streaming from the US I was shocked and appalled at how many commercials there were for psych meds, that did make it seem that all you need to do is pop a pill and life will be dandy.
We don't have any of those ads here in Australia, we only have mental health awareness ads. Lot's of them that not only encourage people to talk to a professional, but for the public to genuinely ask others are you ok?

The 'RUOK?' initiative is the best one yet because it's encouraging people to talk about mental health issues openly....to reduce stigma and to not just say it's someone else's problem.

The idea of free mental health screening is brilliant if our gvts are willing to get serious about mental illness and dole out the cash, but there needs to be aftercare and support too.

Right now, people are using online screening tools and stopping there because it's just too expensive, they need to wait too long, or they are too ashamed to see a professional. So we, the public need to get involved.

Here's a link to the resourses for RUOK?

http://www.ruokday.com/resources-for-you/

He would have found the means? Really? This guy reportedly didn't like people touching him. I don't envision him killing anybody if he didn't have guns, because then he would actually have to touch people. He was also reportedly a 110 pound. He wouldn't be able to put up a physical fight even with his mother.

Excellent post!

The idea of free mental health screening is brilliant if our gvts are willing to get serious about mental illness and dole out the cash, but there needs to be aftercare and support too.

http://www.ruokday.com/resources-for-you/

I totally agree with your post, tho I redacted part of it for levity.

The ONLY reason I was diagnosed with bi-polar at 19 was directly BECAUSE my grandmother killed herself. She was diagnosed at 60 after my grandfather died in a car accident. She no longer cared about anything after that.

It took way too long and way too many people to realize what she was going though. Inevitably, it took her death for most our family to realize we had a serious problem on our hand. (I am not the only grandchild diagnosed with bi-polar).

IF our good old USA had better support for those in my situation, (I was very lucky in having health care) then maybe they would seek support and diagnoses for their mental health needs.

Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting

A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."
Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.
bbm
:dunno:
we will see how this plays out.
JMO- EARLY ON we heard "whispers" that the killer had been at the school
the day before... confronted certain people, it was very quickly stated that LE had "no reports" of any such thing happening.
Perhaps it did happen and LE was not notified?

IF and I say IF loosely, that could be verified by other staff members,
I can see where this might have a leg to stand on...
They clearly state "forseeable"
DID they have some warning?
If not... then :waitasec:
I don't get it.

"Adam's mother Nancy would drop him off, then sit in the next room while Jennifer worked with him"

http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_22239366/teacher-talks-about-adam-lanza-she-knew

It's JMO but...
Based on this description, I think she MAY have attended elementary school WITH him. How weird would that be for a young boy?

Having mom go to school with him everyday... when all the other kids are sent to school alone.

IMO there was some strange co-dependency going on there.
Nothing to support my opinion at this time. -other than the high school teachers affirmation.

Someone thought she was employed or taught at the elementary school.

I want to know WHO thought that and WHY???

Last year I used to help out a lot at my kids school. One of my tasks was to come in once a week to help an autistic girl who wasn't at school full time yet. Even though I was the one helping her, her mother still needed to be sitting in the room or just oustide the classroom. This mum wasn't even close to being overprotective or co-dependent so maybe it's a liability thing. IDK.

Last year I used to help out a lot at my kids school. One of my tasks was to come in once a week to help an autistic girl who wasn't at school full time yet. Even though I was the one helping her, her mother still needed to be sitting in the room or just oustide the classroom. This mum wasn't even close to being overprotective or co-dependent so maybe it's a liability thing. IDK.

Could be! I had not thought of that! Thank you!

bbm
:dunno:
we will see how this plays out.
JMO- EARLY ON we heard "whispers" that the killer had been at the school
the day before... confronted certain people, it was very quickly stated that LE had "no reports" of any such thing happening.
]Perhaps it did happen and LE was not notified?

IF and I say IF loosely, that could be verified by other staff members,
I can see where this might have a leg to stand on...
They clearly state "forseeable"
DID they have some warning?
If not... then :waitasec:
I don't get it.

cbm, I'll go along with that.

This may seem selfish but I just want answers so badly.. the hows, whys..

A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.
<Modsnip>.

Yowza, that lawyer has some cahones! Perhaps thinking the Lanza Estate or Lanza dad will have to pay? No way a school system could pay, even if they are awarded only 1 million. Which would have been a more sensible claim, but any claim is beyond the pale with so many gone. IMO

<modsnip>

Meanwhile there are 26 grieving families who would happily pay millions to have their loved ones back.

100 million?? Really? And whose magical pockets is this going to come from?

Sorry but in light of the fact that 26 other people actually died, this family is coming off as very insensitive and money hungry. For God's sake - their kid LIVED. How about a little thankfulness for that?? They ought to be on their knees thanking God that their child is ALIVE!!!

No doubt the child is traumatized but I see it as a slap in the face to the real victims ( the ones who died and their families) that this family immediately gets a lawyer and sues claiming it was foreseeable. 6 adults gave their lives trying to protect these children. It was not "foreseeable".

He would have found the means? Really? This guy reportedly didn't like people touching him. I don't envision him killing anybody if he didn't have guns, because then he would actually have to touch people. He was also reportedly a 110 pound. He wouldn't be able to put up a physical fight even with his mother.

I think you underestimate how easy it is to get guns in this country . Look at the Aurora and Virginia tech shootings for reference.

This may seem selfish but I just want answers so badly.. the hows, whys..

The unfortunate reality is you'll probably never know the true reasons. The simple answer is sometimes these things happen because the shooter had the means, the anger, and the evil inside to do it. This is true whether the person kills 26 or their own child.

There are a lot of bad people in this world. Such is the flaw of man.

So is it a law or rule that single mothers can't go to a spa?
The blame and harsh judgement of this victim is getting quite ridiculous IMO.

Probably stating the obvious here but, lawsuits are the one thing that has always been predictable. This I believe, is just the first of many. Sadly I think asking for this huge $ figure is the only thing that gets the attention of many. .What they ask for and what they get is a different story. As for the timing,, will there ever be a "good" time to file ? We do not know if it was forseeable. The only thing stated was there was not a report filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998