Connection between Oklahoma girl scout murders and West Memphis three?

Discussion in 'Welcome To Websleuths' started by nikod, Feb 11, 2019.

1. nikod

nikod New Member

I live in Oklahoma and recently listened to episodes on both cases (OK girl scout murders and West Memphis three). I've always felt that whoever murdered the West Memphis boys had to have been a serial killer because it was so ritualistic and well planned. After listening to an episode regarding the girl scout murders, a few things stuck out to me. Each murder involved 3 children around the same age. The kids in both cases were girl scouts and boy/cub scouts. Both were murdered outside in nature. Last, Arkansas borders Oklahoma, so there's similar geography. Do you think anyone has ever compared the two cases? Can anyone compare the two cases to look for any other connections?

2. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Hi nikod,

Welcome to Websleuths! I haven't studied the West Memphis murders in a while. The person(s) who killed the Girl Scouts in Oklahoma left some DNA. Testing years later showed the killer had DNA with strong indication of coming from a Native American.

There hasn't been much recent analysis of the DNA gathered from the WM3 victims in a while, but perhaps someone should review it again. Either way, there was never any indication I've seen that the WM3 DNA came from someone with a Native American haplotype.

Just reading up on the WM3 case, they really should be doing some more DNA analysis on that case. It really needs to be resolved. JMO, I'm still not 100% convinced some of the suspects they convincted and released weren't actually guilty.

3. nikod

nikod New Member

Hi Betty!

From my understanding, authorities just said that the hair "could come from a Native American", but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the actual case. I know they had a native suspect, so they could've been trying to fit the evidence to the suspect.

Either way, I think it would be interesting to put the cases side by side to see if there are any similarities to the cases.

4. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yes, there were later DNA tests that showed very close (though not 100% conclusive) mtDNA compatibility with the accused killer, Gene Leroy Hart, a full-fledged Native American.

www.websleuths.com/forumhttpss/threads/ok-girl-scout-murders-lori-farmer-8-michelle-guse-9-doris-milner-10-1977.5374/page-49#post-14541712

But, sure, it would be interesting to compare the two cases.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019