Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so sorry about the deaths in your area bookthinker.

Today I’ve felt a bit panicked as well after having gone shopping. (No deaths yet in my county, but 9 cases). Shelves are bare, and stores were very crowded- and people seemed very irritable for the first time since this started.

At a certain point I am hoping that there will be public uprising of self-quarantine if more drastic measures aren’t taken in these two “hotspots”.

MOO.
MJPeony, thank you. I called my mother and my in-laws about getting thing they might need before the shelves run bare.
My mom 92 lives in Denver,Co. and the in-laws live in San Diego,CA. I don't want them to fight the crowds.
Some people inside Costco were wearing masks.

I really think CDC and whatever this committee are should put a priority on working with care homes, nursing homes, rehab centers, and senior citizen centers to set up screening care net works, get tests out to them, assure personnel are tested and trained and have adequate supplies. And find isolated seniors who don't have the funds or the mobility to stock up and self-quarantine.

I think the state of Washington's experience is showing exactly where we are the most vulnerable, and it is NOT in the folks shopping on Amazon or buying TP and water at Costco.

I really think CDC and whatever this committee are should put a priority on working with care homes, nursing homes, rehab centers, and senior citizen centers to set up screening care net works, get tests out to them, assure personnel are tested and trained and have adequate supplies. And find isolated seniors who don't have the funds or the mobility to stock up and self-quarantine.

I think the state of Washington's experience is showing exactly where we are the most vulnerable, and it is NOT in the folks shopping on Amazon or buying TP and water at Costco.
I totally agree!

snipped

That is a very good question. I don't know. If insurance covers it, well, that leaves a lot of people out who do not have insurance.

If it's "free," I'm not sure who would foot the bill - local, state, or federal gov?

jmo

I'm trying to find that out now also. I went to my GP today and i def. have lower resp. infection, wheezing and a little crackle in one lung. He's starting me on Leviquin to see if we can kill anything bacterial. He said he wouldn't recognize CVOD if he had 10 people in the office. Their whole office was closed last week due to resp. issues.

Our health dept. (Sarasota County) wants people to call and then come in for testing but have not said anything about prices. They then have you self quarantine for 14 days and come twice a day for temps. I've not had a fever except for a few days. I thought i read on one board here someone got slammed with a HUGE bill for swabs/tests. I'm in Sarasota where we have one case. I've had this cough for 4 weeks but figured it was just typical cruise crud. I have weak lungs anyway so typically get a week of sick every cruise (late nights, too much drinking and celebrating and just wearing myself down) I always self quarantine when i'm sick and could be contagious. Had food delivered second week i was home. I have been out a few times but very careful and never cough unless completely covered and keep my mouth CLOSED (yes, its hard to do). I live alone, have animals and fenced property. I was very surprised to hear of a case in our little 'town'.

I'm trying to find that out now also. I went to my GP today and i def. have lower resp. infection, wheezing and a little crackle in one lung. He's starting me on Leviquin to see if we can kill anything bacterial. He said he wouldn't recognize CVOD if he had 10 people in the office. Their whole office was closed last week due to resp. issues.

Our health dept. (Sarasota County) wants people to call and then come in for testing but have not said anything about prices. They then have you self quarantine for 14 days and come twice a day for temps. I've not had a fever except for a few days. I thought i read on one board here someone got slammed with a HUGE bill for swabs/tests. I'm in Sarasota where we have one case. I've had this cough for 4 weeks but figured it was just typical cruise crud. I have weak lungs anyway so typically get a week of sick every cruise (late nights, too much drinking and celebrating and just wearing myself down) I always self quarantine when i'm sick and could be contagious. Had food delivered second week i was home. I have been out a few times but very careful and never cough unless completely covered and keep my mouth CLOSED (yes, its hard to do). I live alone, have animals and fenced property. I was very surprised to hear of a case in our little 'town'.
He didn't order lung x-rays?

Hey Kakidoll. Be good to yourself. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Sleep as much as you can. Sleep and rest hastens recovery. And stay in touch. I have a feeling at least one or two of us here will be infected before we see the last of COVID.

While Lysol, Clorox, and other household disinfectants boast their ability to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses, does that include the coronavirus?

According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, disinfectants are thought to be effective against the coronavirus, but this has not been confirmed by testing. That means its ability to kill the coronavirus is not scientifically proven, as first reported by CNN.

Under the EPA’s guidance, since Lysol, Clorox, and other household disinfectants have been proven to kill other human coronaviruses, people can safely use the wipes and sprays to disinfect surfaces in areas where the novel coronavirus is suspected.

In a statement to CNN, the EPA said companies can apply for an “emerging pathogens claim” based on previously approved claims for harder-to-kill viruses. The agency reviews them and determines whether the company can make that claim.

Once approved, the company can make off-label claims in the event of outbreaks like the coronavirus.

Several Lysol products have been approved to make emerging viral pathogens claims for efficacy against the novel coronavirus, the EPA told CNN, but “definitive scientific confirmation” that the wipes can defend against this specific virus can only come once it’s been tested against the strain, per CNN.

Here’s how household disinfectants stack up against the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member