Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

As someone who has worked in a lab I can’t help but wonder if there is a bit of a learning curve with running the tests. I don’t know the details of these specific kits but if there are new testing procedures you can’t run a bunch at once and expect good results (I would hope there are internal standards to show correct testing). There is a bit of a curve. When I worked in the vet toxicology lab when I would run a new test I would only be able to do a couple. Then with practice you can do more and more in a day. Personally I would rather have a few run properly than a bunch run poorly. IMOO. Again I don’t know the SOP (standard operating procedures) for the tests or how drop in they are compared to current testing being conducted so I can’t judge how quickly they should be run. If they are all new for everyone it’s going to be slow at the beginning. That’s the other advantage of having CDC confirm the tests, if they are familiar with testing protocols they would be the final say versus someone new to the testing. As things roll along I imagine it will fall back to states as they can show they are preforming the tests properly and competently. Again IMOO.

2. drama_farmer

drama_farmer Central Kentucky (Bluegrass)

I know it's just baseless superstition on my part, but I've always felt that dwelling on stuff like that becomes a self-fulfilling medical prophecy! When I find myself going there, I try to revert to "happy" or "neutral" mental images. A bird outside my window, the fact that no one has coughed in my face TODAY, yadda, yadda. It's like mental gymnastics, but I'm not always sure which muscles I should be exercising!! IMO

3. gngr~snap

gngr~snap Verified Pediatric Nurse Georgia

Jax49, Tadpole12, Luckyzmom and 9 others like this.
  4. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

I’m confused by “Walmart had no option.”

bears10, Jax49, Tadpole12 and 6 others like this.
  5. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

They are quarantined in Georgia. So they ones who live there, can go home and self-quarantine. The ones that don't live in Georgia can't do that.

Tadpole12, Luckyzmom, x_files and 7 others like this.
  6. otto

otto Verified Expert

94. Alberta cases started 6 days ago with 3, then 7 and today 14. Ontario has 35, BC has 39.

"One of B.C.’s confirmed cases of the new coronavirus is responsible for a presumptive case in Alberta, health officials in that province announced Sunday — marking the first instance of spread between provinces.

Alberta’s chief medical health officer Dr. Deena Hinshaw said the Edmonton-area case first announced Friday, a man in his 40s, had visited Michigan, Illinois and Ohio and was travelling with a companion from B.C.

The B.C. man had been on the Grand Princess cruise ship"​

Coronavirus cases in Alberta and B.C. are linked. What does that mean for further spread?

upload_2020-3-10_18-56-21.png

7. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

So awful, people don’t know they are carrying it and they are spreading it everywhere they go. Yet, my understanding is if tested they would be negative due to the incubation stage.

8. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

You had me at moonshine cherries. Hey whatever it takes to have a calming moment.

9. otto

otto Verified Expert

Although there are tests for the virus, I think more could be done to perfect the test. If someone is infected, it should be possible to detect that infection without symptoms. If someone is recovered, one test should be sufficient to conclude a negative result.

However, it seems that the test today is more effective with symptoms and after 2 negative tests.

10. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

The problem is that we don't have any immunity to this virus. It seems like. If someone with the Chicken Pox came on a bus, 90% of the people would have already had it, or a vaccine. That leaves 10%, who may not even be close enough to the person to catch it.

This virus, 100% of the people could catch it. Big difference.

Tadpole12, Luckyzmom, x_files and 9 others like this.
  11. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Moo! But from what I hear, calling in sick was never a good idea for hourly employees if they wanted to keep their job. Now, they have no option, imo, after an employee “possibly” spread covid19 to any number of unsuspecting people. However, it sure isn’t her fault, she got it from someone......
    Walmart was exceedingly slow coming forward to confirm their employee was diagnosed with covid19, even though the locals knew. Imo, the store needed to be closed for 24 hours and thoroughly cleaned, but they ultimately decided to “sanitize” during biz hours.

12. MJPeony

MJPeony SF Bay Area

And yet somehow other countries have been testing thousands, every day, for weeks.

13. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Iirc the virus is here to stay but immunity will eventually develop. Moo I’ll look later, my battery is dead.

14. flashy09

flashy09 Well-Known Member

I know I am joining this forum very late and probably asking annoying questions. Sorry! Supposed to fly into the Los Cabos airport in a few days and then stay a resort in San Jose Del Cabo. Would you worry about the cruise ship with coronavirus that stopped in Cabo? Grand Princess I think Feb 21. So 14 days are up, but are there many test kits in Cabo San Lucas? Would you worry about a resort in SJDC that is 50 minutes from the port in Cabo San Lucas?

I am youngish and healthy so hoping to still go!

Really?, Tadpole12, Luckyzmom and 6 others like this.
  15. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

Really?, Tadpole12, Luckyzmom and 3 others like this.
  16. MJPeony

MJPeony SF Bay Area

If the Grand Princess docked there on Feb 21st, I 100% would not go. Completely MOO.

17. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Ok, thank you, Trudie. So, them going to the doc did expose others. Which I guess is my point. Best to just stay home unless symptoms get to the point one can’t handle them at home. I’m a retired RN, and very independent, so, I’m totally good with staying at home. I do understand though, how lay persons wouldn’t know what to do, and some might not feel confident enough to care for themselves. They should do what they need to do.

BTW, I stocked up on Sambucol, aka Black Elderberry... which is known to shorten life of the flu. I know it helped me when I had a bad case a few years, and made me a believer.
    Also read it is useful for the herpes virus, which to me really indicates it is truly an antiviral. So, I’m thinking it could also be useful against Corona. No guarantees of course, but surely can’t hurt.

Skigh, Really?, Tadpole12 and 12 others like this.
  18. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

I'd rather finish my year online than have my promising future cut short by contracting a deadly virus. But that's just me.

19. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I would worry about the possibility of not being allowed back into the United States, if you are not a citizen. Or being put in a 14 day quarantine if the virus statrts hitting hard there, when you come back to the United States.

This situation is fluid, and changing, almost hourly. Just be cognizant that changes out of your control may happen.

Really?, Tadpole12, neesaki and 15 others like this.
  20. human

human Well-Known Member

30: Year old in MN is in critical condition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.