Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

I hope the CDC has more than pamphlets and You Tube videos to offer, but I kind of doubt they have much more. Most of the work on the ground is passed to states, who have been cutting these budgets as non-essential. If the pandemic hits the US, the public may be disappointed to learn how woefully unprepared and underfunded most state health departments are. In the last decade or so, many states appoint health department officials based on a criteria different from disease prevention, public safety or population health management, etc.

Not wanting to be negative, but this is a good opportunity for the public to take a very close look at their own state and local health departments and consider whether they need reform, modernization, extra funding focused on quality health programs like this.

2. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Well-Known Member

BBM
    Wondering the same.

Tadpole12 and dotr like this.
  3. Herat

Herat Way out West

The Japanese healthcare system is very very good. Far better than what I have read about many hospital facilities in the UK NHS system.

The Japanese system has a reputation for being meticulous and systematic. I truly believe the Abels are receiving excellent care. If it's prison-like it's because rules are strictly enforced.

And their son is not helping anything.

Mo Thuairim, byo, What if... and 11 others like this.
  4. Herat

Herat Way out West

Risk of hepatotoxicity. He may have risk factors for liver disease that would make acetaminophen a bad choice. And honestly, a temp of 99.7 is tolerable without antipyretics.

5. Herat

Herat Way out West

It could be worse. Someone in Washington DC could get the bright idea of putting FEMA in charge....

6. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

Here we go.....meeting is happening now.....

Italy's Council of Ministers will meet on coronavirus at 6:30 p.m. local time. Prime Minister Conte says the government is considering "extraordinary measures"
    BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Edit: found additional support.....
    Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, who has called an emergency meeting with the health authorities, expressed his sympathies on Facebook for the deaths and said the government was considering "extraordinary measures" to fight the onslaught of new cases.

Italy's second coronavirus death sparks fears, lockdown

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. Henry2326

Ain't that the truth.....Ill take the CDC any day.....

8. Henry2326

Might I add, why go to these extreme measures if the crisis has passed, as they are trying to convince the world?!?

9. Henry2326

10. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Exactly. Been watching what countries are doing rather than the numbers and so why take all the measures if things getting better.

Amonet, What if..., Tadpole12 and 4 others like this.
  11. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Well-Known Member

I have also read that Japans universal healthcare system is one of the best in the world.

British tourists David and Sally Abel test positive for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Expanding his point on ITV's This Morning, he said: 'What I want now is for the UK authorities to still go and get them.

'I know they tested positive but I'd like it ideally if whatever they're going to be doing in Japan, why can't that happen here in the UK where my dad can get the right kind of food, all the right treatments?'.

Describing conditions on the ship, Steve Abel said: 'The quarantine in Japan has been a failure, that is obvious, so [they] are obviously going to have to go through it again.

'I would like them to go through it here where the food is more suitable for my dad.'

He added: 'I'm not actually that worried about the virus - looking at the recovery stats. It is more about the stress, the diet.

'The recovery rate is actually quite good, but he's type 2 diabetic, insulin dependent, and he's also got a tooth infection.

12. Betty P

Not much better. FEMA at least has "boots on the ground" capability. I don't think CDC has much of that anymore. They're brochures, videos, giving advice to locals.

Things will probably flow down to your county or city health department. Check your local health department web sites and see how many employees/nurses, etc. they have on staff. Hint: its not many. My guess is if the US faces a real pandemic here, the military will be called in to do the ground work. They're the only ones that have adequate funding and staff.

Here's a link to the CDC booklet for the National Influenza Pandemic Strategy for Implementation. It was written 20 years ago in 2006.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pdf/pandemic-influenza-implementation.pdf

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Amonet, What if..., Tadpole12 and 5 others like this.
  13. Herat

Herat Way out West

If he was really concerned about the diet, he'd want them to live in Japan.

The real Japanese diet with it's reliance on vegetables and fish is light years ahead of the traditional UK diet, even if it is modified for diabetes. If you can avoid the sodium in soy sauce and maybe cut back on the carbs in the rice, it is an excellent diet. Maybe Abel Jr should try it.

14. Herat

Herat Way out West

My impression of FEMA is that they have toffee-nosed administrators who fly around looking all importanty- but the public ends up getting old moldy trailers and mountains of paperwork.

15. Herat

Herat Way out West

The very esteemed Professor Uwe Reinhardt did a terrific NPR series on comprehensive healthcare where he traveled to mulitple different countries to examine their healthcare systems and interview many practitioners and patients.

His conclusion was that Japan had the best system, and that a combination of the Japanese and Canadian systems would be the best choice for US comprehensive healthcare. He was a very good interviewer and I remember it as a pleasure to watch.

Pursuing Comprehensive Health Coverage in the U.S.

16. asyousay

asyousay Well-Known Member

Thank you and I said the same the other day :)

Their entire families behavior is laughable at best and it’s getting worse the more I read about them.

Richard Branson wouldn’t help them and let’s see if Donald now ignores them as well.

17. Herat

Herat Way out West

I think they are all loving the attention they are getting, liking it far too much

18. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

They are in the apartments now

Amonet, What if..., KALI and 5 others like this.
  19. asyousay

asyousay Well-Known Member

Yes I agree and unfortunately when they do get home no doubt they will be on all the morning tv chat shows enjoying their 5 mins of fame.

IMO

20. Betty P

Yes, that's another problem for the US - the large number of uninsured and under-insured citizens. How do those people access health care if they become ill? People w/o insurance usually wait until they're very ill to seek help, as they don't have the funds to pay out of pocket for health care. This should have been resolved long ago, JMO.

If the hospitals take them anyway, how do they pay for the expensive care they receive without going bankrupt, becoming homeless, etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.