Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

President Biden is planning to call for a global summit to respond to the coronavirus crisis and boost vaccine supply to the developing world, said three people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the pending announcement.

The summit would be held during the United Nations General Assembly meetings the week of Sept. 20. Topics would include coordination among leaders worldwide to collectively tackle the health crisis and address inequities, including the vaccination lags in developing countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/08/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/

2. SouthAussie

3. SouthAussie

Jimmy Kimmel stopped laughing when he reflected on Labor Day weekend in which coronavirus cases were up by about 300 percent compared with the same time last year, when there wasn’t a vaccine.

After noting how Anthony S. Fauci, the chief medical adviser to President Biden, warned that some hospitals might be forced to make “tough choices” on who gets a bed in the intensive care unit ..... “That choice doesn’t seem so tough to me,” Kimmel said. “Vaccinated person having a heart attack? Yes, come right in, we’ll take care of you. Unvaccinated guy who gobbled horse goo? Rest in peace, wheezy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...mmy-kimmel-hospitals-unvaccinated-ivermectin/

4. jennieohhh

jennieohhh Well-Known Member

SCIENCE

roche.analisa and Cool Cats like this.
  5. SouthAussie

And SCIENCE supports masks.

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

To be clear, the science supports using masks, with recent studies suggesting that they could save lives in different ways: research shows that they cut down the chances of both transmitting and catching the coronavirus, and some studies hint that masks might reduce the severity of infection if people do contract the disease.

Face masks: what the data say

6. jennieohhh

jennieohhh Well-Known Member

7. Bailey38

Bailey38 Well-Known Member

My Dr's office has never lifted the locked door, call a number, and they will let you in when they can. You have to wear a mask ever since last March. I received a letter saying I had to have many booster shots, for example Rubella. So I go in October for the yearly checkup and guess I'll just get it all. Definitely the flu and I want the Shingles jab also since turning 61. I wonder if I can get all these boosters plus a possible vaccine booster?

8. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

Biden Announces COVID Vaccine Booster Shots for All Americans

Yes. We can do both. "We can take care of America and help the world at the same time," Biden said.

We are not only giving boosters to our population but donating a ton of vaccine around the world. That doesn't get headlines so put on page 4.

Biden acknowledged the criticism that the U.S. is turning a blind eye to the fact that many around the world still have not received even a single dose.

"I know there's some world leaders who say America shouldn't get a third shot until other countries get their first shot. I disagree," Biden said.

"We can take care of America and help the world at the same time. In June and July, America administered 50 million shots here in the United States. And we donated 100 million shots to other countries. That means that America has donated more vaccines to other countries than every other country in the world combined."

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  9. Cool Cats

My dad was told not to get the Shingles shot around the same time as the Covid shot but now he is told it's OK. So I would talk to your Dr. and do some research on this. After all, your Dr. relies on the same research, right?

roche.analisa, anneg, Lilibet and 3 others like this.
  10. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

11. Bailey38

Bailey38 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. I trust my Dr and think I'll span them out over time, most important first.

12. Cool Cats

So what good are medical and religious exemptions if companies can still stop you from working? I thought the exemptions were to keep you working on your own terms?

roche.analisa and pocketaccent like this.
  13. Cool Cats

14. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Everything depends on global vaccination.

15. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

Religious exemptions became useless to those stubborn unvaccinated workers. United Airlines says, uh uh, we ain't paying you if you don't get vaccinated. So they can stay home, believe in their religion and get unpaid.

16. Cool Cats

Yup! Or the variants have more chance running through lesser vaxed populations.

17. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Huge randomised study in Bangladesh of over 340,000 people show masks work:

Large Study Confirms Masks Work to Limit COVID-19 Spread

What the Mayo clinic has to say:

Can face masks protect against coronavirus?

An evidence review of face mask against COVID-19 published by the PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Conclusion for those who don't want to read the whole paper:

From the CDC:
    Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

The current scientific consensus is that wearing masks, along with other measures such as social distancing/hygiene etc. does help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

That's the science.

But I am sure that the goalposts will keep on being moved by anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers. Just like when the "FDA hasn't approved it yet" excuse was removed from equation.

18. Cool Cats

I am surprised and pleased at the same time that companies can do this, side-line religious exemptions. Mamma Mia live and learn.

Can't agree with side-lining health exemptions though. Not your fault if you have an allergic reaction etc...

sds71, laini and pocketaccent like this.
  19. margarita25

Additionally, front liners around the world, health workers haven’t even gotten their first doses yet and they’re treating patients.

Not only is this a moral issue, it’s a epidemiological issue wrt variants, etc. as we know.

Can we do both? Supply ourselves AND the world? The US has donated (insert sum, can’t remember off the top of my head) more than any country in the world, more than countries combined. Fauci says we can do both, donate vaccines and take care of US. But Dr. Bruce and others who are working the vaccine distribution via COVAX and say there IS a supply issue. If Doc T and Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria and all of them say this is what needs to be done, then I take whatever they say 100 percent, jmo. This is an abbreviated mechanical post.

Eta: Very excited about the Pandemic Preparedness Center WHO has set up with Merkel and others, more on this later.

20. margarita25

Haven’t watched yet, from today:

anneg and Cool Cats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.