Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Me too!!!!!!

2. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

She actually doesn't sound much different from some other leaders.

She said initially in January 2020 that there was 'practically no risk' of importing Covid-19
    ..... then said the 'risk of a spread of the coronavirus among the population is very small'.

A month later .... she claimed that 'the tsunami has yet to come', in an apparent contradiction of her earlier statements.

.. she had alerted the president and then prime minister Philippe to the potential 'dangers' of Covid-19 as early as January.

France also faced a severe shortage of masks at the start of the pandemic and the government was inconsistent in its advice on face coverings

3. SouthAussie

What was the former prime minister's response to his fine?

"I never thought dobbing and snitching was part of the Australian character.
    I think as soon as we can leave this health police state mindset behind us, the better for everyone."

The Guardian's comment .... "Worth remembering when he was PM he launched a “dob in a dealer” hotline, and public servants were also encouraged to dob in their colleagues for social media posts critical of the government."

Australia has more than 2,000 new cases; Tony Abbott attacks mask ‘snitching’ – as it happened

4. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

Even on their death beds, some COVID-19 patients in Idaho still reject vaccination

Sat, September 11, 2021, 10:01am

Although a number of patients do express regret that they have not received or sought out a vaccination, some even apologizing for it, according to nurse educator Monica Brower, others remain contentious, even after being on a ventilator and confronting the stark reality of their mortality.

"Don't tell me I have COVID. I don't believe in COVID," patients have told McFarlane, who teared up as she recounted combative patients.

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: ABC News' Kaylee Hartung speaks with hospitalist, Dr. Carolyn McFarlane, and COVID-19 charge nurse, Alicia Luciani, at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. (ABC News)

"There is an almost adversarial tone to things when we ask, 'Did you get vaccinated?'" McFarlane said. "It creates a rift in the tone of the room, because it's a feeling of 'well you're going to treat me differently because I didn't get vaccinated,' and that is far from the truth."
    [​IMG]
    In fact, said McFarlane, "It almost gets to a point where you read the tone in the room and you shy away from even asking about vaccination status, because you want to be able to focus on saving the person's life, not going into the politics behind the vaccine."

As more unvaccinated patients fill hospital beds, Luciani said it has become "really hard to maintain a level of hope."

[​IMG]© ABC News ABC News' Kaylee Hartung speaks with Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center's ICU Medical Director, Dr. Meghan McInerney, in Boise, Idaho.

"They stick to their guns," Luciani explained, and even on their death bed she's had to listen to people deny that they have the virus, while maintaining their fervent anti-vaccine sentiment. "In my mind, that life is essentially over as we know it. ... Some people just refuse. And it's kind of like a slap in the face."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  5. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

That is so bizarre--I truly cannot understand why someone on their deathbed
    would angrily deny it is covid that is killing them-_do you have any idea why
    someone would reject the reality they have covid?

6. Cool Cats

Easy to do without a test, just tell yourself you have pneumonia.

However, if they are being shown their actual Covid test results and still deny it, it is because it is too late to admit they are wrong.

When you recover enough to go home it is easier to admit you were wrong because you still got through it.

But alot harder to admit your wrong when you are not getting through it.

For many people it is too hard to admit they are on death's doorstep and could have likely prevented it.

ParkerParky, Satchie, Bravo and 7 others like this.
  7. SouthAussie

Well, I think that the med staff likely need to ask the question - as the answer could dictate what they need to do for the covid patient. Do they start administering monoclonal antibodies, do they place the patient under greater surveillance due to a higher risk of ending up in ICU, etc?

8. Cool Cats

Yup!

I agree that for medical reasons it might be good to know if Jane Doe was vaccinated. For the reasons you mention.

9. Cool Cats

It's 9-11

Remember

10. Cool Cats

Alabama man dies after 43 hospitals with full ICUs turn him away

[​IMG]
    Ray Martin DeMonia
    SEPTEMBER 4, 1947 – SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

In honor of Ray, please get vaccinated if you have not, in an effort to free up resources for non COVID related emergencies. Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS. He would not want any other family to go through what his did.

The family of a Cullman man who died of heart issues in Mississippi is asking people to get vaccinated for COVID after 43 hospitals across three states were unable to accept him because of full cardiac ICUs.

DeMonia suffered from a cardiac event, and emergency staff at Cullman Regional Medical Center had to bring him to the nearest available bed, which was nearly 200 miles away at Rush Foundation Hospital.

Dale County, Alabama hospital welcomes staff amid COVID-19 surge
    Now’s not the time to have a heart attack’: South Alabama hospital welcomes federal staffing aid

“Now's not the time to have a heart attack, or a major car wreck, or something serious because there is nowhere to send you,” Dale Medical Center CEO Vernon Johnson said. “We are holding patients in our emergency room, trying to find beds for them to go to, so they can receive appropriate care.”

upload_2021-9-11_21-18-56.png

U.S. Navy Team deploys to rural Alabama hospital in Ozark, Dale County
    U.S. Navy deploys medical team to support Alabama hospital in COVID-19 hotspot

Officials, eyeing the unprecedented rate hospitalizations were rising at through July, feared a crush of COVID-19 patients would soon breach the state's previous winter hospital peak. Data indicates the hospitalization increase has slowed, a welcoming sign during a punishing surge, but inpatient numbers are still very high and are holding, wearing down hospital staff and resources already taxed to their limit.

upload_2021-9-11_21-15-23.png

11. CharlestonGal

CharlestonGal Well-Known Member

I think these are the people who would literally rather die than ever admit they are wrong - about anything. I know several people like this. No matter the evidence or the reality, they simply refuse to admit they are wrong or that they made a mistake. Ever. It's just who they are in general.

12. Cool Cats

Know-it-Alls

Every family gathering and school and work place has one.

Laugh and walk away, there are plenty of other people - who admit they don't know everything - to talk to.
    [​IMG]
    Know It All’s

Satchie, Bravo, Lilibet and 5 others like this.
  13. Cool Cats

Lewis County Health System to “pause” maternity services due to staff unwilling to vaccinate

upload_2021-9-12_1-38-41.png
    Lewis County General Hospital

[​IMG]
    Lewis County Health System Chief Executive Officer Gerald R. Cayer addresses local and regional news outlets at a press conference Friday afternoon in the Lewis County Board Room in Lowville. Mr. Cayer was announcing that the hospital's maternity department would be "paused" as of Sept. 25 as a result of 6 staff resignations to avoid the COVID-19 vaccination as required by a state Departmetn of Health regulation handed down by former Governor Andrew Cuomo at the end of August. County legislators sat behind Mr. Cayer while Chief Medical Officer for the Health System Dr. Sean Harney, sat at the lead table to answer questions. Julie Abbass/Watertown Daily Times
    [​IMG]

Mr. Cayer, who spoke at a news conference on Friday afternoon in the county board room, said 30 people have resigned from their health care roles since the vaccine was mandated on Aug. 23, 20 of whom worked in clinical positions like nurses, therapists and technicians, totalling 70% of the resignations so far.

In addition to the maternity ward, there are five other departments whose services may be curtailed in some way if a significant number of staff members decide to leave their employment rather than be vaccinated for COVID-19.

The “pause” will begin on Sept. 25, two days before the final deadline for healthcare worker vaccination across the state for those who chose to continue their employment.

Attached Files:

14. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

(ETA: I see the link above now works.) Link to the story above about pregnant women and their babies being “held hostage” (my words) by health care workers who quit to avoid being vaxxed.

Lewis County Health System to “pause” maternity services due to staff unwilling to vaccinate

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    JayWill, anneg, SouthAussie and 4 others like this.
  15. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

See deaths:
    September 11, 2021

anneg, MimosaMornings, Bravo and 5 others like this.
  16. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

Lester's final thoughts...19:00 - 21:50...sad, true, touching

...There is no nostalgia for that horrible day. No silver linings. It was and always will be evil on an incalculable scale. Full stop.

But as we mark the 20th anniversary of 9/11, how can we not go there, talk about the elephant in the room.

How we responded back then, one country pulling together, united in our grief and our resolve, versus how we respond two decades later as our country faces a different peril, the pandemic.

20 years ago, Americans collected and handed out masks to ground zero workers. Today, we fight over whether to protect our children from a deadly disease with them.

Americans lined up to give blood in the days after 9/11. Today, millions of us refuse a vaccine, proven to protect us and our fellow Americans.

On the evening of 9/11, political differences were drowned out under a musical chorus of patriotism.........

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Mo Thuairim, rootbeer, anneg and 10 others like this.
  17. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

Horrible. 4,409 deaths. More than 9/11/2001.
    :(

anneg, Lilibet, Satchie and 10 others like this.
  18. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Covid is not something to "believe in," just as gravity is not something to believe in.

Covid is a fact in our world no matter what we believe.

We have people who distrust anything the government says to such a degree that they honestly believe there's a conspiracy to harm them via a made-up virus and its vaccine.

It's sad, really.

19. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

So far, Congress and their staff are exempt.

I agree, all immigrants should be vaccinated. No exceptions.

KALI, Sundog, WildOrchid and 3 others like this.
  20. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Sheesh. I'm not sure how they can justify holding big birthday parties when we know that even the vaccinated can spread Delta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.