Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

Bailey38, 10ofRods, Cool Cats and 8 others like this.

2. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Please, if not for yourself, do it for your children. They are not just statistics. Kali was four years old.

Kali Cook, Galveston County's youngest COVID fatality, was 'beautiful', mother says

Edited to add: In the latest outbreak in NZ, one of those confirmed was a one month old infant. Children under 12 can't get vaccinated yet. So we have to be extra responsible and help break the transmission chains by being vaccinated ourselves.

3. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

She needs some 'less than lethal' pepper spray, just in case.

Australian man beats a policewoman who told him to move on while enforcing Sydney's lockdown | Daily Mail Online

"This is the moment an Australia man brutally beat a female police officer in Sydney while she was enforcing the city's strict lockdown rules.

The man launched his attack in the suburb of Bankstown around midday Monday after the officers saw him standing in the street and asked him to move along.

Video shows one officer being repeatedly kicked and punched while her colleague calls for help having been kicked in the chest and punched moments earlier - suffering 'cuts and bruises'.

Police said a 43-year-old man was later arrested on suspicion of assault and breaking lockdown, before he allegedly attacked a third male officer at the station. All three cops went to hospital for treatment.

Sydney is now entering its 12th week under draconian lockdown rules which ban people from leaving home without a 'reasonable excuse' and mean they cannot loiter in public places to combat an outbreak of the Delta Covid variant.

The tough measures were designed to eliminate all cases as part of a so-called 'zero Covid' strategy, but state leaders have been forced to abandon that approach after infections proved all-but impossible to eradicate."

Bailey38, 10ofRods, Cool Cats and 5 others like this.
  4. MajorHoople

Police Officer Bashed In Bankstown, Man Arrested At His Yagoona Home | 7NEWS

posted Sep 13, 2021 - 7NEWS Australia

10ofRods, Cool Cats, Lilibet and 3 others like this.
  5. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

6. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

7. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

I know some people here, in Australia are calling it a jab. I've always called them a "shot"

I wonder if there is some reason behind not calling it a "shot" anymore. Until the last month or so, I'de never heard it referred to as a "jab"

Cool Cats, Lilibet, anneg and 3 others like this.
  8. MajorHoople

That might be a British thing. I've been reading British online newspapers since 2010 and they usually refer to any vaccination as "the Jab".

CrimeAway, Cool Cats, Lilibet and 4 others like this.
  9. jennieohhh

jennieohhh Well-Known Member

Exactly. Another head scratcher. Another reason why millions will remain jab free.

Cool Cats and TootsieFootsie like this.
  10. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig ...

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for getting the vaccine shot or "jab".
    But, I just don't understand all the mixed messages that are going around.

For instance, the extremely rich and famous O's can have a birthday party with hundreds of people on Martha's Vineyard. But, god forbid your neighbor has one.

It's such a conundrum trying to understand...
    I miss the old simple days when facts were facts, and fiction was a good read.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    insanity, Cool Cats, Sundog and 4 others like this.
  11. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

I first heard the "jab" here from our HKPhooey. I thought, hmm..how cool. English is not my first language, so learning how English is spoken slightly differently by British, Aussies, Kiwis fascinates me. It's a "shot" in the US almost always..

Mo Thuairim, Bailey38, Teche and 8 others like this.
  12. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Yes. I think it is British also. My family has British heritage (as many Aussies do), and we interchange 'jab' and 'shot' and 'vaccination' without a thought.

In Australia, it is technically an 'inoculation'. Not that I ever hear any everyday person call it that.

Bailey38, GRT, HongKongPhooey and 8 others like this.
  13. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Everybody who attended Obama's party was vaccinated and had a covid test.
    Does your neighbor do the same?

14. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig ...

How do you know that? I didn't think those kinds of details of a private party, are available online.

GRT, Cool Cats, Sundog and 3 others like this.
  15. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

Thousands of LAPD Employees May Ask For Religious Exemption From Vaccine Mandate

More than 2,000 Los Angeles Police Department employees have indicated they may request exemptions from the City’s new vaccine mandate, claiming their religious beliefs would prevent them from receiving any of the COVID-19 shots, according to multiple senior officials familiar with the City’s effort to vaccinate its workforce.

Approximately 2,300 LAPD employees, which include both officers and support staff, had made the preliminary request on a City website by the end of last week.
    According to the early data, about 300 additional LAPD employees said they may request medical exemptions from the mandate, and when combined, the exemption indications represent about 20 percent of the LAPD’s staff, more than at any other City department, where exemption requests were filed by approximately 2 or 3 percent of the workforce, the officials told the I-Team.

Cool Cats, Lilibet, JaneEyre and 3 others like this.
  16. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Jab seems to be all over our online newspapers today, and an ABC radio announcer just called it a jab, so looks like officially jab is it now.

Teche, MajorHoople, Cool Cats and 4 others like this.
  17. jennieohhh

jennieohhh Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that. Where's the proof? The vaccinated are not exempt from getting Covid. I remember reading somewhere that bicycle helmets work similarly: They give the wearer more confidence, & the result is often more accidents & injuries, not fewer. “Silly people,” you say to yourself. “If only they would follow the experts.”

18. JayWill

JayWill On Time Out

That is not true about bicycle helmets. They definitely prevent head injuries if they are safety compliant.
    Barack Obama birthday party canceled due to coronavirus concerns

19. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig ...

That's weird...The headline of your link has been altered to say cancelled. Hundreds of people still partied at the bash. Looks like they had a great time from the pics.

Cool Cats likes this.
  20. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

The annual Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota is America’s largest bike rally, a 10-day blowout, with attendance this year exceeding 250,000. It was also a serious pandemic stress test.

South Dakota has high population immunity — and still saw a huge covid surge in August.

In the weeks since the rally began in early August, infection numbers have shot up more than 600 percent in South Dakota.

Consider also this summer’s Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago. All those attending were required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative coronavirus test. Anyone unvaccinated was required to wear masks throughout, even though the festival was outdoors.

The result? Of the hundreds of thousands of fans who attended the festival, only a few hundred have subsequently tested positive — and it is unclear whether any of them were infected at Lollapalooza.

What the Sturgis rally shows us about the delta variant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.