Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

It bothers me, too, and with some health workers quitting over the stress and others out due to having been infected and needing to quarantine, it stresses an over-stressed system even more.

Ethically, maybe they figure the best they can do is a first-come-first-serve basis.

At my mother's nursing home, very few residents are infected--I think it was two last they emailed me. But, seven staff members are now out with the virus. That tells me they weren't vaccinated--although they won't actually reveal that information.

That leaves fewer staff to care for residents, and they were already short-staffed. I am still allowed to meet my mom outdoors and push her around in her wheelchair, but that's only because the virus isn't in her "hall." If someone in her hall becomes infected, that will end. What happened to health workers needing to get the shot? Why are so many reluctant? It's a major source of frustration for me.

2. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I can't remember where you are situated, I think maybe Kansas?

Apparently, there is no deadline for the federal mandate on vaccinations in long term care facilities in the US.

Federal vaccine mandate may spur worker shortage at Kansas care sites

Also, in that state, there are forces that are threatening to only allow hospitals that do not have a vaccination policy to receive extra pay for their nurses. (Which completely befuddles me.)

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article253985503.html

3. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Community rallies to help fugitive 30 years after jail escape

After nearly 30 years of living as a fugitive in Syndey's northern beaches, a groundswell of community and legal support is forming to help Darko 'Dougie' Desic.

4. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

It bothers me, too, and with some health workers quitting over the stress and others out due to having been infected and needing to quarantine, it stresses an over-stressed system even more.

Ethically, maybe they figure the best they can do is a first-come-first-serve basis.

At my mother's nursing home, very few residents are infected--I think it was two last they emailed me. But, seven staff members are now out with the virus. That tells me they weren't vaccinated--although they won't actually reveal that information.

That leaves fewer staff to care for residents, and they were already short-staffed. I am still allowed to meet my mom outdoors and push her around in her wheelchair, but that's only because the virus isn't in her "hall." If someone in her hall becomes infected, that will end. What happened to health workers needing to get the shot? Why are so many reluctant? It's a major source of frustration for me.

Kansas. Yes. Thanks for that article, I hadn't read that one yet, but it sure seems to mimic what I'm hearing and seeing. I think nearly all of the 115 residents in the facility are vaccinated, but I can't be sure. When we first put my mother in the home, we were told they'd recently had staff quit, and I wonder if the mandate was part of that.

That's crazy about extra pay for nurses who work in facilities that do not mandate the vaccine. Perhaps they think those nurses are at a higher risk of getting ill. But, all they have to do is voluntarily get the shot.

5. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I cannot understand how nurses, nursing assistants, etc., anyone who has hands on care of patients, can think it is ok not to get vaccinated, thereby exposing vulnerable patients (and nursing home residents) to a potentially fatal virus. It boggles my mind.

6. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

7. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

8. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

Ooooooo got a free box of (5) kn95s when I got tested today :D

no symptoms but it’s convenient and fairly quick and gives me some small peace of mind

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  9. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

I believe they must hold onto an alternate reality.

10. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Agreed. I feel as though I'm missing something--something important--because I don't understand how those in health fields are resisting the vaccine at such high percentages.

Of all groups, these are the ones I expect to be the most proactive, not the most resistant.

11. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

'Tis a mystery.

The antivaxxer include all types, such as volunteers and scads of others who may have no health background. We hear of some white coats refusing vaccinations, but we can take heart that the vast majority of health professionals have been vaccinated.

12. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

13. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

14. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Yup. Rural Jackson and Josephine counties in Southern Oregon report for September 15 & 16 from the Asante system (three hospitals: Medford, Ashland and Grants Pass). But of course the vax resistant find reasons to disbelieve their eyes. :mad:

https://www.asante.org/app/files/pu...c2a8133/Asante_COVID-19_Cases_Infographic.pdf

upload_2021-9-16_14-16-54.jpeg

15. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

IMO, many people work in health care for the pay check, not because they care

Bailey38, COSCitizen, GRT and 8 others like this.
  16. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Could be. Those unvaccinated nurses are more likely to get very sick, and extra money may be needed to bring in higher priced nursing assistance from elsewhere.

From what I understand, the extra money can be used for pay increases - to hang onto staff - and can also be used for any extra nursing resources needed. It just has to be applied to nursing staff, and nothing else.

Cool Cats, 10ofRods, Lilibet and 3 others like this.
  17. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

There are anti-vaxxers among all careers - LE, firefighters, EMT’s, nurses, home health, etc.

Wanting to “wait” (For what? Another 6 months? A year? Until you finally get Covid and die?)

Not afraid of Covid? (How many Covid versus vaccine deaths do you need to be convinced?)

“Shrug” or “eh” attitude. (Fine. Superglue a plastic band on your arm stating DNR or no emergency assistance wanted so we honor your wishes)

JMO

18. jennieohhh

jennieohhh Well-Known Member

Horrifying.

Cool Cats likes this.
  19. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

20. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Because people need hospital beds not just for covid. But when all the hospital beds are filled with un-vaxxed covid patients, where are people with other problems are supposed to go?
    After they become sick with covid and can't breathe, all of the sudden they start believing in medical care and end up filling all the hospital beds.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.