Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I think the situation may arise (and may have already arisen) where unvaccinated people are also going to need urgent care for non-covid issues and will feel the effect of not having a hospital bed for themselves. Due to their unvaccinated peers who are taking up all the hospital beds with covid sickness.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021

2. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

'Help us help them.' Zero beds, unvaccinated patients push UNC Health Southeastern beyond its limits :: WRAL.com

“In Robeson County, only 29 percent of people are fully vaccinated -- the lowest rate in the state.

Anderson said her hospital is now full because of COVID-19 patients who are unvaccinated. She recently took to Facebook and begged for her community to get the shot.

"That particular day, my executive team and I had been in conversation all day with, how are we going to meet the demand that we're seeing? The ICU beds were full, our COVID unit was full. We had patients that were on the COVID unit that were deteriorating, in terms of their health status, and we were fearful they might need an ICU bed [and] we didn't have one to put them in," recounted Anderson.”
    :(

3. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Please tell me what medication or vaccine that does not carry a risk- in all situations one weighs benefits (in the case of the Covid vaccine- not winding up on a ventilator in a hospital or death) v. side effects that are not that serious, allergic reactions and some more serious reactions. There is a health crisis and when someone decides not to take the vaccine they put other people's lives at risk- that is not speculation- that is reality- most hospitals are filled with NON VACCINATED PEOPLE- they are taking up almost all hospital beds, especially In the ICU and because of their, what I term selfish behavior, patients with heart attacks and strokes are being turned away. I am unforgiving and I don't feel bad about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
  4. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

If their failure to get vaccinated poses a risk to their patients, then their choice should be either get vaccinated, or chose a career in which there is no risk to those entrusted to their care.

There can be no moral option to decide not to get vaccinated while in a position of trust.

5. SouthAussie

To demonstrate the difference in vaccinated status vs unvaccinated status, The College of Physicians of Philadelphia included this photo in their Historical Medical Library.

az.JPG

The boy on the left is unvaccinated, the boy on the right is vaccinated. They both had contracted smallpox.

Smallpox in Two Boys | History of Vaccines

6. SouthAussie

Encouraging news for us downunder ..... Australia is set to reach 70% vaccinated (at least first dose) today.

az.JPG

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-vaccine-rollout-update-16-september-2021.pdf

We are also expecting a million doses of Moderna to touch down here today. This will be sent (after integrity testing) to chemists/pharmacies around the country, to help enable convenient vaccinating.

Source: Ch7 morning TV news

7. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

8. SouthAussie

Seems that the unvaccinated are having difficulties finding hospital beds also. Too many of them very sick.

"After paramedics transported him to the hospital, they discovered there wasn't an ICU bed available.
    "We were checking other hospitals and there was not a single bed available in Palm Beach County. They had to transport him to a hospital an hour and a half away," she said."

9. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Bringing forward this mod post from the beginning of the thread. IMO, those who argue against getting vaccinated are “downplaying the severity of” Covid-19, as is forbidden by this mod post. The vast majority of those getting sick and dying are the unvaccinated. It seems that their concern about the safety of the vaccine for themselves overrides any concern about the safety of others in the midst of a global public health crisis. The vaccine works. It was never promised that it would work perfectly to prevent getting Covid. But it has been shown to vastly improve our chances of avoiding serious illness, hospitalization and death, even with the Delta variant running rampant. This is the opinion of the vast majority of scientists, doctors and nurses. It is the selfish few who are holding the rest of us hostage…stuck in our homes hoping we don’t need hospitalization for a heart attack, stroke or other life-threatening condition.
    JMO

BBM

10. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Don't think this has been posted...
    https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1438334495573385224

Prof Peter Hotez MD PhD on Twitter
    Sep 15
    Antivaccine, antiscience aggression caused 100,000 American deaths since April-May. My read projections is we’re slated for another 100,000 by December. The perpetrators who push the disinformation might succeed, but I’ve informed them it won’t happen without opposition

"So many of those deaths were not only from the coronavirus, it was defiance. Defiance against vaccines especially in the last few months. This is death by anti-science and a lot of this has been coming out of the nighttime Fox News" - @PeterHotez W/ @NicolleDWallace

[​IMG]

pocketaccent, Amonet, 303gmf and 10 others like this.
  11. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Can you help me understand what the "valid concerns" are? Truly interested. All vaccines represent a risk, yet we require kindergartners to have them (and as a teacher, I too have been required to show proof of vaccination for about 7 diseases, in my lifetime).

I did not have a choice. Military has never had a choice. But schoolchildren definitely do not have a choice in the US.

Why should it be a choice?

Although, oddly, not among teachers (where I live, teachers have a very high rate of vaccination - perhaps because we actually study science?)

And the anti-vaxxers in the professions you mention (where I live) all tend to also vote differently than the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
  12. 10ofRods

Cool Cats and Lilibet like this.
  13. 10ofRods

It's just so sad - it's hard to think about it.

Where I live, we're 80% vaccinated. We have hospital beds enough for everyone. We have zero outbreaks in elementary schools at this point (3 weeks in - very tense situation). My college is requiring vaccines for everyone on campus starting October. No cases on campus so far. (Limited real world classes - but expanding).

Even so, we wear masks everywhere if we go out. Almost no one is on the streets in a formerly walkable neighborhood. Rises in crime and homelessness. Evictions upcoming - more issues. And people still getting COVID and dying (among the unvaccinated - but as I said, that's a much smaller percentage than before).

And yes, once a person is gasping for breath and their heart is pounding like crazy trying to circulate oxygen - they realize they need medical care. Hardly anyone is just collapsing and dying at home - they call an ambulance...which is why EMT's need vaccination.

14. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Central NC hospitals feel surge of Labor Day COVID-19 cases | CBS 17

“Our ICUs are full,” said Tart. “We still have many unvaccinated COVID patients.”

“We have a ton of ICU beds full and we’re in Crisis mode,” he said.

UNC REX Hospitals say they are treating 385 COVID patients system-wide. The hospital says in its ICUs are 100 people who they call “post-Covid” patients.”

It says 94 percent of those who have died from COVID in its facilities were unvaccinated.

“The folks in our ICUs are younger and younger,” said Tart. “We’re having 30 to 40-year-olds die with no co-morbidities who are unvaccinated.”

15. SouthAussie

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  16. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

Austria hears first lawsuit over virus outbreak in ski resort

upload_2021-9-17_2-29-47.png
    The Tyrolean ski resort of Ischgl was the site of a notorious outbreak of coronavirus in March 2020

upload_2021-9-17_2-30-13.png
    According to Hannes Schopf's widow, the retired journalist and avid skier caught the virus during the panicked evacuation by bus, crammed with other tourists who were sneezing and coughing for three hours.

The first civil lawsuit begins in a court in Vienna on Friday over a notorious outbreak of coronavirus at the popular ski resort of Ischgl in March 2020, where thousands of people from 45 countries claim to have become infected.

The case is the first of 15 lawsuits filed by plaintiffs from Austria and Germany, accusing the authorities of not responding quickly enough to Covid-19 outbreaks in Ischgl and other resorts in the province of Tyrol.

It is being brought on behalf of the family of 72-year-old Hannes Schopf, who died after contracting the virus in Ischgl.

Lawyer Alexander Klauser, acting for the Schopf family and the VSV consumer organisation helping them and others bring their cases to court, said the official shortcomings that allowed Ischgl and the surrounding area to become a virus hotspot were manifold.

He pointed to a report last October by an independent commission of experts which found that local officials had "reacted too late" and made "serious miscalculations" when alerted by Iceland on March 5 that several of its nationals had tested positive on returning home.

Local officials "had at least 48 hours to react" after the warning, Klauser told AFP.

They also missed an opportunity to prevent more tourists coming to the valley that weekend, and the regional government cast doubt on whether the Icelandic tourists had been infected in Ischgl, he said.

Klauser also accused the local authorities of doing "too little, too late" when a restaurant worker tested positive for the virus, saying contact tracing was insufficient and the implementation of restrictions on tourist activity over the subsequent few days was only "halting".

When the valley was finally placed in quarantine, an orderly evacuation of the area was "thwarted" by the chaotic manner in which it was announced and organised, Klauser continued, pointing the finger at Chancellor Sebastian Kurz as well.

The Schopf family is now suing the Republic of Austria for 100,000 euros ($120,000) over his death.

17. nightowl1975

nightowl1975 Well-Known Member

Please do not assume that these 7 healthcare workers are all unvaccinated. I work in this setting and am fully vaccinated. I am also out with covid despite being fully vaccinated. I’m not the only fully vaccinated employee to be out with covid either.

KALI, anneg and Lilibet like this.
  18. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

I hope you feel better soon! Y0ur point is well taken. A 31 year old vaccinated friend who works in a restaurant was sick with Covid for a couple of weeks and is still tired several weeks later. So breakthrough cases certainly do happen. Of course, we do tend to make assumptions because the vast majority of cases are among the unvaccinated. And Delta has increased the risk for those of us who are vaccinated. Do take care!

anneg, weepingangel and Cool Cats like this.
  19. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

Who will be there for the sick?

Sundog, GRT and Cool Cats like this.
  20. SouthAussie

musicaljoke, anneg, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.