Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear unvaccinated: Bye! And don’t let the door hit you in the . . . well, you know

We’ve been down this road before. Whenever faced with some mandate imposed in the interest of the common good, some of us act like they just woke up on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall.

“There’s no freedom no more,” whined one man in video that recently aired on “The Daily Show With Trevor Noah.” The clip was from the 1980s, and the guy had just gotten a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt.

It’s an unfortunately common refrain. Can’t smoke in a movie theater?
Can’t crank your music to headache decibels at 2 in the morning?
Can’t post the Ten Commandments in a courtroom?

“There’s no freedom no more.” Some of you seem to think freedom means no one can be compelled to do, or refrain from doing, anything. But that’s not freedom, it’s anarchy.

A Broward resident is now looking for a new home after landlord mandates vaccinations
CKRG7NFMMRAE5HE5LJ7KI6QV3Y.jpg

Inverrary Village is one of three apartment complexes in Lauderhill whose owner, Santiago J. Alvarez, is requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination from new and renewing tenants.

A Broward resident is now looking for a new home after landlord mandates vaccinations
Kalia Richardson
Thu, September 23, 2021, 7:00 AM
50439c43f549184fe6beffcfb1e0f359

Jasmine Irby was gathering Sesame Street decorations last month for her 2-year-old daughter’s birthday party and preparing for her son’s first day of kindergarten — when she received a notice on her front door.

All residents must show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 starting Aug. 15, it read.

Irby, who is unvaccinated, intended to renew her lease by Aug. 31 before receiving the new policy. The Lauderhill resident said she was not given adequate notice and is still looking for a new home.

“I take care of my kids, I work, I mind my business, I pay my bills, and that’s it,” Irby, 28, said. “So this completely caught me off guard.”

Santiago Alvarez, the landlord who owns Royal Palms Apartments where Irby lived and thousands of Broward and Miami-Dade units, said residents had several months before the policy change to renew their leases. He also said the notice was added due to a spike in COVID-19 cases in Florida during July and August.

According to national experts, Alvarez is believed to be the first landlord to introduce a vaccine mandate for his employees and residents. Although Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill to ban vaccine passports, an employment lawyer said Alvarez’s policy is enforceable as long as it benefits the health and safety of the majority of the residents. People can be exempted for health or religious reasons.

Covid Parties? Chickenpox parties?

Alberta COVID party sends several people to hospital with virus- CityNews Edmonton

EDSON, Alta. – A party west of Edmonton has landed several people in the hospital with COVID-19, sources have confirmed to CityNews.

And this was no ordinary party–it was a “COVID party”, where guests tried to intentionally get the virus to “build up natural immunity” without getting vaccinated.

One source told CityNews that the Edson party, which happened about two weeks ago, had sent some people to the local hospital. A number of Edmonton ICU cases also come from the party.

RELATED: Alberta reports first COVID death in patient under 20, hospitalizations continue record climb

The gathering was similar to chickenpox parties where children were intentionally exposed to the virus, but University of Alberta virology expert Dr. Lorne Tyrrell says COVID-19 is much deadlier.

Booster shots in the US ......

"Nearly 2.4 million people have already gotten their third shot since Aug. 13 when the CDC cleared them for people with compromised immune systems."

"But even though the CDC reports that 55% of the U.S. population has been fully immunized against Covid .... the remaining unvaccinated people are hindering economic growth, costing jobs and putting unnecessary strain on the health-care system."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/24/bid...-us-as-he-presses-covid-vaccine-mandates.html

A new book published today aims to help children stay hopeful and positive during the COVID-19 pandemic. The story is a sequel to ‘My Hero is You: how kids can fight COVID-19!’, published in April 2020.

‘My Hero is You 2021: how kids can hope with COVID-19!’ draws on the daily realities of millions of children since the beginning of the pandemic.

The story – aimed primarily at children aged 6-11 years – sees the return of Ario, a fantasy creature who travels the world helping children to find hope in the future and joy in simple pleasures. Together with old and new friends, Ario addresses the fears, frustrations and concerns children are facing in the current phase of the pandemic, and explores the various coping mechanisms that they can use when faced with difficult emotions like fear, grief, anger and sadness.

New storybook to help children stay hopeful during COVID-19 - World

I'm so torn on this. On the one hand, I think we ought to try and get more vaccines into Africa and the other countries that are lagging behind because with more people vaccinated, perhaps there's a less chance of a new variant developing that's resistant to the vaccines.

But, at the same time, a nation's leaders are tasked with putting their citizens first.

There should be a way to help others without putting oneself at risk.

Are first-world nations ultimately responsible for the citizens of other nations? And, if so, to what extent? Is it ethical to keep from administering booster shots to citizens in western nations that result in a dozen deaths from breakthrough infections in order to vaccinate 1,000 in Africa? That's basically what Tedros is asserting here.

I think it's difficult for a leader of any nation to take a position that will ultimately result in the deaths of some of its citizens so the citizens of other nations can live.

Maybe part of our focus ought to be on helping other nations build and develop the facilities necessary to produce vaccines.

But, I know I'm not going to turn down a booster shot when I qualify to get one. Does that make me awful?

I'm so torn on this. On the one hand, I think we ought to try and get more vaccines into Africa and the other countries that are lagging behind because with more people vaccinated, perhaps there's a less chance of a new variant developing that's resistant to the vaccines.

But, at the same time, a nation's leaders are tasked with putting their citizens first.

There should be a way to help others without putting oneself at risk.

Are first-world nations ultimately responsible for the citizens of other nations? And, if so, to what extent? Is it ethical to keep from administering booster shots to citizens in western nations that result in a dozen deaths from breakthrough infections in order to vaccinate 1,000 in Africa? That's basically what Tedros is asserting here.

I think it's difficult for a leader of any nation to take a position that will ultimately result in the deaths of some of its citizens so the citizens of other nations can live.

Maybe part of our focus ought to be on helping other nations build and develop the facilities necessary to produce vaccines.

But, I know I'm not going to turn down a booster shot when I qualify to get one. Does that make me awful?

I think we all know, in our hearts, that sharing and caring is the right thing to do.

If we all committed to sending a specific amount of vaccinations - on a regular basis - toward getting the 3rd world countries vaccinated, we would start make great inroads in helping to rectify their dilemma before we know it.

My country sure as heck knows how it feels to be denied vaccines ... and we are not a 3rd world country. We were willing and able to pay for them.

I think we all know, in our hearts, that sharing and caring is the right thing to do.

If we all committed to sending a specific amount of vaccinations - on a regular basis - toward getting the 3rd world countries vaccinated, we would start make great inroads in helping to rectify their dilemma before we know it.

My country sure as heck knows how it feels to be denied vaccines ... and we are not a 3rd world country. We were willing and able to pay for them.

I agree that sharing and caring is the right thing to do -- but I question the extent. How do we determine that an at-risk person in a first-world nation should go without a booster in order to vaccinate someone in a third-world nation?

In the US, we are getting boosters now--not me, I don't qualify--but others are, and my mom, who is in a nursing home where the staff keep testing positive for the virus, has been offered a booster. She will get it soon.

I would not choose for her to bypass the booster in order for someone else to get an initial vax.

I still think we should share but not at the cost of putting our own loved ones at risk.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article254491102.html

“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” turned its comedic lens on an anti-mask rally in Johnston County on Thursday night’s show, with flag-draped protesters showing viewers across the nation a special North Carolina brand of COVID-19 grievance.

In a string of interviews — with Rep. Madison Cawthorn notably absent — protesters alternately told host Jordan Klepper that face coverings lead to acne, fill the body with toxins and reflect Satanist rituals.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article254491102.html#storylink=cpy

So how do people go about getting that booster if you fall into the appropriate categories? My husband got Pfizer, so I presume he can go to any pharmacy and get the booster? I got Moderna so I have to wait.

DH received email and text from Meijer indicating that he is eligible for his booster. We had the Pfizer vaccine a day apart in early and late March. When the original information came out regarding how long to wait prior to getting the booster, we thought we'd both be eligible in late November. Now they're saying six months, so we can probably get the booster sooner. I will likely be contacted by Beaumont since that's where I got my shots. Even if I'm eligible now, I will probably wait until I see my PCP for my annual physical in early November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708