Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98

PLEASE NOTE:

Tricia set up the Covid forum for people who are genuinely concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing its existence or downplaying the severity of it. Please know that MSM, scientists, politicians, government agencies worldwide are not involved in the biggest conspiracy in the history of man to convey the pandemic as more serious than it is.

If you aren't concerned about Covid-19, this Covid forum is not for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Members whose posts seem designed to downplay the seriousness of the virus or the pandemic may experience a loss of posting privileges, whether a Thread Reply Ban or Time Out of minimum 1 week up to 3 months from the Websleuths forum.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

Thread #99

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dr. Kharbanda co-authored the study. She and other researchers examined 23 potential side effects ranging from blood clots to seizures and stroke. Analyzing the health of more than 6 million patients, Dr. Kharbanda says findings show that no serious health effects could be linked to the two-dose vaccines."

Study supports safety of Pfizer, Moderna COVID-19 vaccines (fox9.com)

I saw a graph in this article that shows how much the use of Ivermectin has increased in the US. It also shows the usage of hydroxychloroquine.

The number to the right is the number of tablets that are dispensed each week in the US.

View attachment 311150

Ivermectin, a deworming medicine, is the latest quack cure for covid-19

I'm going to be very unhappy if this affects supplies and prices for people and animals who actually NEED Ivermectin.
My dogs take it every month for heartworm prevention, and it is used to prevent River Blindness in Africa

Onchocerciasis - Wikipedia

Heartworm Info
Home

Ivermectin Uses, Side Effects & Warnings - Drugs.com

What is ivermectin?
Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medication.

Ivermectin is used to treat infections in the body that are caused by certain parasites.

Ivermectin is approved for use in humans to treat intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis.

Ivermectin is currently being investigated as a treatment for coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which is the virus that causes COVID-19. The FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommend not to use ivermectin in patients with COVID-19, except in clinical trials.

Ivermectin explained: Why the so-called 'horse drug' has emerged in COVID fight

Ivermectin is a drug used to treat infections caused by parasites, such as river blindness and intestinal problems caused by roundworms.

Scientists who developed ivermectin won the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine in 2015, when the foundation said the drug “revolutionized therapy for patients suffering from devastating parasitic diseases.”

In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends refugees coming to the United States from most parts of the world take ivermectin as a “presumptive therapy.”

Is it a horse drug?

Versions of ivermectin are also used to deworm livestock, which has caused confusion and fueled political commentary about the use of the drug.
Isn’t it used as a heartworm preventive for dogs?

Last edited:
So did I-- so my question is: Is there a downside to a booster? I mean so people who got the Pfizer shot will get the booster and the rest of us can't get it- is there a downside to a third shot? I am puzzled and confused and for those of us who got Moderna and can't get the shot in September (or maybe never?), does that put us more at risk for breakthrough infection.
I read the article but I have absolutely no medical background. Moderna’s trial booster was not a full dose. There is a question as to whether or no the booster needs to be a full dose. If that’s the only problem, I'll take a full dose.

Has anyone (like @10ofRods) been following the Novavax vaccine? A 37 year old friend told my dh today that he’s not vaxxed because he’s been waiting for it to be released. :eek: Novavax decided it isn’t even going to ask for FDA approval until the 4th quarter! He was expecting it this summer. And it may be hard to find. Thankfully, he’s rarely around people, but still…that’s a gamble.

U.S. clinical trial results show Novavax vaccine is safe and prevents COVID-19

Moths and tree bark: How the Novavax vaccine works

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/05/nov...a-emergency-use-submission-delayed-to-q4.html

Has anyone (like @10ofRods) been following the Novavax vaccine? A 37 year old friend told my dh today that he’s not vaxxed because he’s been waiting for it to be released. :eek: Novavax decided it isn’t even going to ask for FDA approval until the 4th quarter! He was expecting it this summer. And it may be hard to find. Thankfully, he’s rarely around people, but still…that’s a gamble.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/05/nov...a-emergency-use-submission-delayed-to-q4.html

Yes, I am following Novavax because it is part of Australia's vaccine suite.
We are expecting more data soon, apparently.
Australia is going to run a clinical trial for Novavax's anticipated covid/flu shot.

" ..... it will be September, perhaps into early October, before they give us the rest of the data. It's important to know that we are able to look at data as it comes in. So we've already looked at a lot of Novavax data and it looks good. But the critical issue is manufacturing enough to meet all the demand. That's why the announcement of Moderna was so important, but we do expect Novavax to come along in the months to come."
Therapeutic Goods Administration Adj. Professor John Skerritt's interview on ABC News Breakfast on 10 August 2021

Novavax is yet to confirm when it expects to complete applications to get its coronavirus vaccine approved in Australia, but the biotech is already planning new local research into a combined influenza and COVID-19 shot.
Novavax is now aiming to be a world leader for booster shots.
Australia COVID: Novavax plans to trial combined flu and COVID super jab

I'm going to be very unhappy if this affects supplies and prices for people and animals who actually NEED Ivermectin.
My dogs take it every month for heartworm prevention, and it is used to prevent River Blindness in Africa

Onchocerciasis - Wikipedia

Heartworm Info
Home

I hope everyone who takes Ivermectin gets a good damn dose of reality.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets sick from the Ivermectin.

Yes, I am following Novavax because it is part of Australia's vaccine suite.
We are expecting more data soon, apparently.
Australia is going to run a clinical trial for Novavax's anticipated covid/flu shot.

" ..... it will be September, perhaps into early October, before they give us the rest of the data. It's important to know that we are able to look at data as it comes in. So we've already looked at a lot of Novavax data and it looks good. But the critical issue is manufacturing enough to meet all the demand. That's why the announcement of Moderna was so important, but we do expect Novavax to come along in the months to come."
Therapeutic Goods Administration Adj. Professor John Skerritt's interview on ABC News Breakfast on 10 August 2021

Novavax is yet to confirm when it expects to complete applications to get its coronavirus vaccine approved in Australia, but the biotech is already planning new local research into a combined influenza and COVID-19 shot.
Novavax is now aiming to be a world leader for booster shots.
Australia COVID: Novavax plans to trial combined flu and COVID super jab

Thanks. Yes, just from the little bit I read after I heard about our friend waiting to be vaxxed with Novavax, it really doesn’t sound as if it’s going to be widely available in the U.S. as two shots. My husband didn’t press him on his reasoning, so it may have to do with ingredients or something. He’s not anti vax. I was shocked that he’s not vaxxed as he’s a very responsible guy. That taught me not to assume friends are vaxxed, but to ask…not that I’m ever around anyone. :D

Thanks. Yes, just from the little bit I read after I heard about our friend waiting to be vaxxed with Novavax, it really doesn’t sound as if it’s going to be widely available in the U.S. as two shots. My husband didn’t press him on his reasoning, so it may have to do with ingredients or something. He’s not anti vax. I was shocked that he’s not vaxxed as he’s a very responsible guy. That taught me not to assume friends are vaxxed, but to ask…not that I’m ever around anyone. :D

Well, Novavax is more of a 'traditional' vaccine as opposed to one based on new technologies. So the friend may feel more comfortable with that.

I would imagine that it should be available in the US at some point, as the US has invested $1.6 billion in federal funding for it.

The manufacturing is likely to happen in Japan, as Novavax does not have its own manufacturing facility. There have been many delays due to shortages of raw materials ... but a UK study says the vaccine is very promising.

• 90 percent effective in a 15,000-person United Kingdom trial
  • an easy-to-store vaccine that could help bolster strained supplies
  • highly anticipated by many experts because it would add a more traditional technology to the portfolio of coronavirus vaccines
  • Novavax’s vaccine consists of that spike protein, generated inside insect cells that grow in giant bioreactors. The approach is innovative, but protein-based vaccines have been used for decades, including one for hepatitis B.
  • the vaccine is expected to be powerfully effective
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/10/novavax-coronavirus-vaccine/

The recent results confirm that it has roughly the same efficacy as the two authorized mRNA vaccines, with the added benefit of being based on an older, more familiar science. The protein-subunit approach used by Novavax was first implemented for the hepatitis B vaccine, which has been used in the U.S. since 1986. The pertussis vaccine, which is required for almost all children in U.S. public schools, is also made this way. Some of those people who have been wary of getting the mRNA vaccines may find Novavax more appealing.

The Novavax vaccine also has a substantially lower rate of side effects than the authorized mRNA vaccines.
The mRNA Vaccines Are Extraordinary, but Novavax Is Even Better

Trends in COVID-19 Cases, Emergency Department Visits...

Trends in COVID-19 Cases, Emergency Department Visits, and Hospital Admissions Among Children and Adolescents Aged 0–17 Years — United States, August 2020–August 2021 | MMWR

From the article:
Among U.S. children and adolescents aged 0–17 years, COVID-19 cases and associated ED visits and hospital admissions increased during June 2021–August 2021. During a 2-week period in August 2021, COVID-19–associated ED visits and hospital admissions for children and adolescents with confirmed COVID-19 were highest in states with lowest vaccination coverage, particularly states in the South, whereas in the states with the highest coverage, COVID-19 ED visits and the rate of hospital admissions among children and adolescents were lowest. These findings underscore the importance of community vaccination, in coordination with testing strategies and other prevention measures, to protect children from SARS-CoV-2 infection and severe COVID-19

Oscar De La Hoya hospitalized with COVID-19 days before boxing ring return
more at link
Hall of Fame boxer Oscar De La Hoya has been hospitalized with COVID-19, according to social media posts from the fighter.

De La Hoya, who says he is fully vaccinated, also announced that his planned return to the ring after nearly 13 years away will be put on hold.

"Preparing for this comeback has been everything to me over the last months, & I want to thank everyone for their tremendous support," De La Hoya, 48, wrote on Twitter. "I am currently in the hospital getting treatment and am confident I will be back in the ring before the year is up. God bless everyone and stay safe."

In a video that accompanied the statement, De La Hoya says, "I mean, what are the chances of me getting COVID? I've been taking care of myself, and this really, really kicked my *advertiser censored*."

Last edited:
https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-n...hildren-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

more at link
Children and COVID-19: State-Level Data Report
*Note: Due to the Labor Day holiday, the 9/2 report will be posted on Tuesday, 9/7.

State-level reports are the best publicly available and timely data on child COVID-19 cases in the United States. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association are collaborating to collect and share all publicly available data from states on child COVID-19 cases (definition of “child” case is based on varying age ranges reported across states; see report Appendix for details and links to all data sources).

As of August 26, nearly 4.8 million children have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic. About 204,000 cases were added the past week, marking the second week with child cases at the level of the winter surge of 2020-21. After declining in early summer, child cases have increased exponentially, with over a five-fold increase the past month, rising from about 38,000 cases the week ending July 22nd to nearly 204,000 the past week.

It's a big gamble for which there seem to be no point. We already have three vaccines available. Waiting for an unknown period of time for a fourth vaccine makes no sense. At this point Novavax hasn't even asked for approval from the US FDA.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article253985083.html

This article is significant, because the man who died was fully vaccinated, and caught Covid from a caregiver at a facility.

This surprises me, I thought that they were doing surveillance testing on healthcare workers. Maybe the worker had also been vaccinated...

This isn't good.
He was presumably vaccinated early on, since he would have been eligible early on (probably with Pfizer, since that was the first vaccine available). By this time, his protection likely waned to a pretty low level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff