Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

JDG, mickey2942, Hazelnutty and 6 others like this.
  2. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

It’ll only take me 5 hours to get to your house, I’ll be on my way if the north runs dry :p

JDG, Chelly, Mo Thuairim and 6 others like this.
  3. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Mr Cags better lock up the Baileys now the weather's turned :p

JDG, Chelly, Mo Thuairim and 6 others like this.
  4. CoverMeCagney

Ha! You know I love a warm Baileys in a mug, preferably with whipped cream and grated dark chocolate on top.

Should put this in the Covid recipes section.

KALI, JDG, Chelly and 9 others like this.
  5. SoCalDavidS

SoCalDavidS Well-Known Member

Coming Soon to a hospital near you.

JDG, Chelly, GRT and 6 others like this.
  6. CoverMeCagney

I sincerely hope not. Meanwhile, from that DM link, a handy and beautifully coloured in list of variants:

upload_2021-11-24_22-20-35.jpeg

JDG, Chelly, Niner and 5 others like this.
  7. Kaley Smith

Kaley Smith Well-Known Member

Decision time. Our family members are all double vaxxed, so will not hesitate to get together at Christmas. I know a couple of families who have taken a stand and will not have unvaccinated members over and that's that, hard feelings or no hard feelings. If you or someone in your family is immunocompromised I would strongly advise you not get together with unvaccinated people indoors.

COSCitizen, JDG, Chelly and 6 others like this.
  8. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Great resource! I was reminded of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.

9. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

I got COVID and spent 19 days in the ICU last year. You do not want to get COVID. Here's what that was like.
    Christopher Stolarski
    Wed, November 24, 2021, 11:00 AM

[​IMG]
    Christopher Stolarski, a St. Francis man, nearly died from COVID in late 2020, before safe and effective vaccines were available.

Just over a year ago, I was admitted to the intensive care unit at St. Luke's South Shore with acute respiratory failure.

Here are 26 things you probably didn’t know about being hospitalized with severe COVID-19 — one for each day I spent in the hospital (19 of them in the ICU).

1) You can only lie on your stomach or side. This is extraordinarily uncomfortable, and it can cause nerve damage. I now have meralgia paresthetica — permanent nerve damage in my right hip and thigh.

7) You’ll wear a blood pressure cuff 24/7. It goes off every hour, even when you’re sleeping. I named and talked to mine like Tom Hanks and the volleyball in Cast Away. ("Frank," by the way.)

15) You’re going to hallucinate — and not in the fun way. You will see and hear things that aren’t there. It’s sometimes horrifying, it’s sometimes just a little unnerving. But it’s always terrible. Eventually it goes away — months later.

16) Everything itches all the time. First, the room is very dry. But also… You have at least six EKG leads stuck to you 24/7, and those itch. The pulse oximeter taped to your finger itches. Also, you can’t shower, so…itch.

17) Time, as an entire construct, disappears. Other than the aforementioned 4 a.m. wakeup call from the phlebotomist, you generally don’t know when you are. Days of the week? LOL, not a thing.

StarrChance, JDG, Niner and 6 others like this.
  10. kath4557

kath4557 Well-Known Member

As soon as I hear there is even one single case of this ‘Nu’ variant in the US I’m putting myself in quarantine for the duration! SCARY

JDG, anneg, Lilibet and 4 others like this.
  11. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

I wish people would understand that if we mess around with Covid and keep refusing to get vaccinated, we're going to prolong the virus' run and increase the chances that deadlier variants mutate.

The Delta virus has been less deadly so everyone seems to think it's over. Here in Kansas, even Gov. Laura Kelly, who was the first governor to close schools and take preemptive measures, signed a bill that doesn't permit employers to question workers if they claim a religious exemption. That basically takes all the teeth out of an employer who establishes a vaccine mandate. All any worker has to do is say, "I claim a religious exemption," and that's it. The person can be an atheist and get a religious exemption.

Schmidt to Kansas employers: Questioning religious exemption now illegal

Not that I think mandates are the way to go, but I think employers have a right to set rules in their own workplaces. This undercuts that.

Que sera sera...

JDG, Turkeytrot, Niner and 4 others like this.
  12. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

Agreed. People have the right not to get the jab, but their families also have the right to ask them to stay home and not put others at risk.

JaneEyre, JDG, MimosaMornings and 4 others like this.
  13. 303gmf

303gmf Well-Known Member

Schmidt’s an evil troll!
    MOO

14. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

15. acutename

acutename Well-Known Member

16. ilovewings

Lilibet, JDG, MimosaMornings and 3 others like this.
  17. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

This may encourage you.

Just 9 fully vaccinated people in ICU over last year: PHO
    The immunization campaign gets underway as a new analysis from Public Health Ontario (PHO)showed that just nine people under the age of 60 who had gotten two doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been admitted to intensive care units in the last year.

The PHO report, published this week, said that as of Nov. 14 there have been about 17,596 "breakthrough" cases of COVID-19 among fully immunized Ontarians. That is roughly 3.8 per cent of the 11, 565,488 people who had had two doses of vaccine by that time.

Of those fully vaccinated people under 60 years old who caught COVID-19, 83 were admitted to hospital and nine needed intensive care.

In the same time frame, 8,355 unvaccinated people under the age of 60 with COVID-19 were admitted to hospital, with 1,722 eventually requiring treatment in an ICU.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...nov-25-2021-kids-vaccinations-cases-1.6262143

charminglane, Lilibet, Niner and 4 others like this.
  18. gogrannypop

gogrannypop Call Me Butter, I'm On A Roll

Yup. I'll get a booster every 6 months if that's what it takes not to catch Covid19.

Suglo, musicaljoke, KALI and 10 others like this.
  19. ilovewings

I would too but I hope we don't have to get it every six months. There is new variant that may evade vaccines. I am going to post that here now. It is very scary. It is a heavily mutated variant.

Covid: New heavily mutated variant B.1.1.529 in South Africa raises concern

20. CoverMeCagney

Is this the same one that’s been found in Botswana? It’s mainly concentrated in the Gauteng region of SA which includes Pretoria and Jo’burg. Bigger cities = higher density = more travel and transmission.

I’m feeling the need to phone Boris and tell him to stop flights from those at region pronto. We’ve been here before, with Delta flying in from India by the plane load.

Suglo, Lilibet, Niner and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.