Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
And where does disability fit into this framework? Depression? Education? Access to healthy food? Rather than judging people, it might be better to accept that some people may not have had the same opportunities as others.
I am glad that you have not had these barriers to your health.

I happened to listen to NPR radio today. There are definitely a lot of folks wearing tin foil hats. That is for sure. The funny thing is that non-vaxxers say the same thing about vaxxers! No middle ground.

Some fair, well thought out middle ground would be nice. The middle ground where things get accomplished. JMO

Hospitals will always prioritize according to need, but there is a
good deal of moral outrage by myself snd others regarding the unvaccinated individuals,refusing vaccines, but when they get sick with Covid they
go to the hospital---these selfish unvaxxed people are overwhelming
hospitals across the country--basically keeping other patients who try
and do what is right, from getting the medical care tbey deserve. Those
selfish people are responsible for people dying or getting much sicker--
if it was up to me tbose unvaxxed people who care about nobody
but themselves would not be monopolizing hospitals the way tbey
are now-- it just is not fair to those wbo do the right thing to be
treated shabbily by the medical system--and by shabbily I mean
for examp!e an unvaxxed patient would get priority for
monoclonal antibodies over a vaccinated patient

And it's outrageous that in X amount of hospitals Covid monoclonal antibody treatments go to the unvaxxed first, not the vaccinated. Vaccinated may not get any of that treatment.

CDC guidance to become optional for cruise lines as COVID continues to spread

The CDC's Framework for Conditional Sailing Order, which was extended and modified in October, will expire Saturday at which point the health agency's COVID guidance for cruise ships will become voluntary, the CDC confirmed to USA TODAY Wednesday. This means cruise lines can choose whether to follow the health agency's guidance or not.

The health agency "is transitioning to a voluntary COVID-19 risk mitigation program" the CDC said in a statement shared by spokesperson David Daigle.

Here are some short Covid advice videos from The University of Kansas Health System, who also produce very informative daily update videos. Today's daily update featured a gentleman who is recovering from Covid and still has a tracheostomy.

The first short video on proper mask fitting is great, IMO:

Second video is about how to care for Covid at home:

When to go to the ER (or not):

Today's (01/13/22) (longer) daily update featuring a discussion on Long Covid and an interview with a survivor:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ZVIiQGk2c

Last edited:
I know. They have closed 'temporarily' because the staff had a surge of positive tests. But they plan to reopen after they can restaff....which makes me nervous..so we are on hold for our trip now.
I'm sorry katydid. I know you were looking forward to the trip. I'm holding out hope it will only be a short delay and then you be able to visit with your mom. Covid stinks!

And it's outrageous that in X amount of hospitals Covid monoclonal antibody treatments go to the unvaxxed first, not the vaccinated. Vaccinated may not get any of that treatment.

According to science, the unvaccinated are the most likely to get really ill. Science says vaccinations protect almost everyone from extreme, treatment needing illness. I really believe we need to follow the science on this. JMO

Here are some short Covid advice videos from The University of Kansas Health System, who also produce very informative daily update videos. Today's daily update featured a gentleman who is recovering from Covid and still has a tracheostomy.

The first short video on proper mask fitting is great, IMO:

Second video is about how to care for Covid at home:

When to go to the ER (or not):

Today's (01/13/22) (longer) daily update featuring a discussion on Long Covid and an interview with a survivor:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ZVIiQGk2c

Great demonstration on how to get more protection from a surgical mask, in case that's all a person has.

I'm sorry katydid. I know you were looking forward to the trip. I'm holding out hope it will only be a short delay and then you be able to visit with your mom. Covid stinks!
Thanks...it is hard because she gets so sad when we have to postpone....
And I am saying this with total love and adoration, yet I have to say that Mom has kind of regressed and is more like a child in many ways now so it is hard to explain some things as easily as before....In many ways it is comical and endearing, as my brother and I laugh because all of our phone convos with Mom now start the same way---Mom answers the phone happily, says 'let me turn down the TV'---and then she points the phone towards the TV as if it was the remote---and she always disconnects the call....lmao---every time...:p...so we call right back and then continue the convo.....

Only explaining to set the context as we then have to discuss world pandemics again, and sometimes she responds as if she is hearing it for the 1st time---last week she said 'OHHHHH, I wondered why you sent me those colourful masks with my Christmas basket.' lol

So when we make plans and she is really excited, it just kills me to have to say ' Oh, sorry but you're not allowed visitors just yet.'
My brother said he told her yesterday and she assured him that was last year and things are OKAY now, no problem. :(

I’m O+ but didn’t think I could donate because I currently take methimazole (an antithyroid agent for hyperthyroidism). I just decided to check the Red Cross website for a list of medications that preclude you from being a donor… and I was wrong! I’ll definitely donate now that I know.
A- here! I'll be donating too!

Quebec isn't the only one targeting the unvaxxed. But is it moral? - Macleans.ca
https://www.macleans.ca/society/que...ly one targeting the unvaxxed But is it moral
Two Canadian bioethicists on the topic of different medical care based on vaccine status -

Both Schafer and Bowman are alarmed by any consideration that those who are unvaccinated shouldn’t receive the same medical care as those who are. “We distribute health care according to need, and refuse to turn doctors and hospitals into moral judges,” says Schafer. What’s next, the experts ask, when it comes to making such decisions: “Did you have a glass of wine with dinner last night? Do you really need that 10 extra pounds?” asks Bowman. “There is no bottom to this.

“Us-and-them thinking brings out the worst of humankind. It’s not something you want to see.”

Thanks...it is hard because she gets so sad when we have to postpone....
And I am saying this with total love and adoration, yet I have to say that Mom has kind of regressed and is more like a child in many ways now so it is hard to explain some things as easily as before....In many ways it is comical and endearing, as my brother and I laugh because all of our phone convos with Mom now start the same way---Mom answers the phone happily, says 'let me turn down the TV'---and then she points the phone towards the TV as if it was the remote---and she always disconnects the call....lmao---every time...:p...so we call right back and then continue the convo.....

Only explaining to set the context as we then have to discuss world pandemics again, and sometimes she responds as if she is hearing it for the 1st time---last week she said 'OHHHHH, I wondered why you sent me those colourful masks with my Christmas basket.' lol

So when we make plans and she is really excited, it just kills me to have to say ' Oh, sorry but you're not allowed visitors just yet.'
My brother said he told her yesterday and she assured him that was last year and things are OKAY now, no problem. :(
You're mom sounds precious! I hope you are able to visit really soon!
I went through the same thing with my mom years ago. Sadly, she has since passed. Your story reminded me of a situation I had with my mom that warms my heart every time I think of it.
Let me preface this story by saying my mom loved animals! All animals but the great apes in particular.
At the time I was going through a rather messy divorce. My mom had a picture of my husband, myself and my 2 young children on her piano. I went to see her daily as she lived close by. She would ask me why my husband wasn't around anymore on most of those days. I would remind her that we were divorcing.

One day (after about two weeks of this) I walked into her place and found a cut out image of an orangutan over my ex husbands face! I laughed so hard. She finally got it!

Texas judge finds no probable cause in case of mom who had COVID-positive son in trunk

I truly fail to understand how the judge sees no probable cause for this mother.

Putting your son in the trunk to protect yourself after he had a positive Covid test? The judge is okay with that?

She couldn't think of anything else? Open all the windows in the car and have him diagonally across from you in the back, both of you wearing two masks?

I do not understand this world sometimes.

Texas judge finds no probable cause in case of mom who had COVID-positive son in trunk

I truly fail to understand how the judge sees no probable cause for this mother.

Putting your son in the trunk to protect yourself after he had a positive Covid test? The judge is okay with that?

She couldn't think of anything else? Open all the windows in the car and have him diagonally across from you in the back, both of you wearing two masks?

I do not understand this world sometimes.

after reading some decisions made by some judges, including this one, I have come to believe that some judges seem to live in an ivory tower and are removed from life in the real world.

Round Two:

“Today I exercised my power... to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so,” Mr Hawke said in a statement.

“In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.

“The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I thank the officers of the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force who work every day to serve Australia’s interests in increasingly challenging operational environments.”

Novak Djokovic has visa cancelled by immigration minister and will be deported from Victoria before Australian Open

My niece has passed away from multi-organ failure due to infection with the SARS-CoV 2 virus. She was only 39.

She suffered from poorly controlled diabetes and hypertension, had a very unhealthy BMI, was a smoker and declined to get a booster shot, all of which likely contributed greatly to her severe illness and rapid decline.

Take care of yourselves out there, folks.

I am so sorry for your loss. I cry almost daily, or at least several times per week for friends and neighbors, vaccinated and unvaccinated, when I open the daily newspaper.

I know your heart is breaking.

Last edited:
My point was, and still is, it's difficult for most people to think it's perfectly acceptable to pick and choose who gets treatment and who doesn't. To me, and I am aware in I'm in the minority on this thread, that's inhumane. If someone is having a rough time, they need treatment. That's just being human. JMO

I agree. Picking and choosing--based on a person's behavior or choices--is just flat-out wrong in my book.

I encourage others to get vaccinated and boosted, but if they choose not to medical care should not be withheld based on that choice.

It's an incredibly slippery slope. We had a young father here who recently died because he couldn't get the healthcare he needed because the hospital was full of covid patients and he could not be treated in time. It was really sad.

I don't know how many of those covid patients were vaxxed or not, but doctors take an oath to help all humans--regardless of their choices. My daughter is in law enforcement and she is occasionally assigned to guard an inmate in the hospital. These inmates made poor choices--some made horrific choices--yet we know as a society that we cannot allow them to suffer needlessly when they become ill.

So it is with covid patients, too. Doctors (the vast majority of them) hold themselves to high standards of empathy and morality. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to look in the eyes of someone who is suffering and say, "No, not you. You didn't get the jab. Go outside and die."

We're better than that.

The Red Cross has been calling me, so I’m going tomorrow to give blood. I used to give regularly, last time was February 2020.
Seems so long ago.

have they changed rules on who can donate??? I was rejected decades ago because I weighed too little (ions ago!!! ha ha), and then because I had esophogeal reflux??? But I have also had breast cancer? Does anyone know if they are looser now on who can donate????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member