Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for those outside the US. Are you all experiencing longer wait times at pharmacies and for other services, too? And supply shortages?

And how is your population generally handling it?

I've been pretty zen about it because what else is there to do? But I know others are anything but zen while waiting in line and our workers are sorely mistreated.
I dont think we're really having issues like that Jane.

My local pharmacy always has my repeat prescription ready. I just had a text confirming there are no items missing in my food shopping delivery today. Next week I have a routine mammogram appointment which I didnt ask for, just came through.

Last week I pulled a muscle in my back. Our GPs are still mostly doing phone consults initially but it was quite easy to get one and I had a prescription which sorted the problem.

My local hospital stats re ambulance and bed wait times are not much worse than this time last year. A neighbour called an ambulance 3 weeks ago for suspected stroke and it arrived within minutes. (It was a stroke and he is recovering.) I'm an hour outside London.

I actually ventured out yesterday (looking for a decent chair for my home office initially after my back probs) and went into two shops. In the first one no employees were wearing masks. So whatever medical exemption they have is contagious ha! I walked out. The second one (foodhall, M and S) was fine and no big queues either. I didnt hang around tho.

At my own workplace we sometimes have customers being more aggressive but luckily our customer base tends to be a nicer kind of people, plus its not essential shopping, more leisure. There will be no big push at my place to force people back to the office either.

On the flip side of course, Omicron continues to run riot but now its at the point where so many people we know have it, it has almost become by the by. That said, my parents are still shielding by choice until the numbers calm down.

I have a question for those outside the US. Are you all experiencing longer wait times at pharmacies and for other services, too? And supply shortages?

I've been pretty zen about it because what else is there to do? But I know others are anything but zen while waiting in line and our workers are sorely mistreated.

We had some minor delays and disruption a few weeks ago when Omicron was at its peak and so many people were off work isolating with Covid or as a close contact.

I personally didn't notice anything much except for the local post office shutting for a few days while staff had Covid. I heard about pharmacies running reduced opening hours elsewhere but they were operating normally where I live. Shops were stocked as normal. I have had no problems getting routine medical appointments quickly.

I was stuck in a long post office queue one day in another town when our local one was closed but people were pretty good humoured about the wait. There was only one worker so everyone was patient. We have had years of restrictions here so people have become pretty chilled out and adaptable. Now that our case numbers are coming down again, most of these service/supply problems seem to have resolved themselves. I hope it stays that way!

We don’t have long waiting times for medications luckily. As for other supplies shortages it doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore. We had acute shortages of rapid tests last month. It was nearly impossible to get them in entire Stockholm. Now there are plenty in pharmacies.

My husband is going on day 12 since he tested positive. Still feels pretty crappy. Can't shake the cough and head and chest congestion won't break up. I started feeling crummy so I took the other home test we had and I'm positive.

You tested positive on day 12 after your husband’s positive test? That’s late! Did you have symptoms before? I’m on day 6 and my boyfriend is testing negative so far.

In my area of the Midwest, ALL of the walgreens pharmacies have reduced hours. They are only open 10-6 on weekdays now. No weekend hours and the line is always long. Our Chewy order was also canceled because of supply issues. Many of the small businesses here have experienced temporary shortages of workers who are out for COVID and are not doing their full services/hours. We had to reduce our hours for a couple weeks for the same reason. Even some schools are experiencing food shortages for the cafeterias and having to find food at local grocery stores to make up for supplier shortages. At one of the banks recently, a check scanner went down and the tellers were mistreated by those in line at the drive-thru. Someone even hurled something at the teller window.

I have heard about this virus before it’s been identified in 1960s. The outbreaks are almost exclusively in African countries and it spreads trough body fluids /broken skin vs being airborne or trough droplets. Which is good news.
“The virus can be transmitted by exposure to one species of fruit bats or it can be transmitted between people via body fluids through unprotected sex and broken skin. ”
Wiki page source
Marburg virus - Wikipedia

Business pretty much as usual here, Jane. We’ve been out of proper restrictions since July really, aside from masks and regular testing. No supply shortages that I’ve noticed, except cat vaccines- apparently there has been a shortage of those since autumn.

After a brief period of LFT/home tests being scarce and me being down to the last box, I ordered a couple of boxes of 7 last week and then my kids came home from school yesterday with two boxes each, so I now have a grand total of 43 tests! Should keep us going for a while :eek:

Hi Jane,
Zen is a good way to be. :cool: Most folks I run into here around my area are pleasant and dealing with life as is. Those who lose it, do so mostly over sports. :)

New Jersey isn't actually a foreign country (some might disagree), but I wanted to give you a comparison from here.

We are doing fairly well with supplies and services. Pharmacies have never closed up, though I often can't find all the vitamins etc I want; Chewy delivered my most recent order practically overnight (maybe I order different items than you); ShopRite had everything I ordered in my most recent pickup (prices are still high); and anything I order from Amazon arrives either overnight or within a day. We do have a rather large Amazon warehouse about 15 miles from our house so betting that helps.

The only place I see a need still is with businesses finding employees. The coffee shop has had help wanted signs up for months and thus cut their hours, restaurants don't all have enough wait staff to meet the demand of customers so often don't take in as many diners, and the schools cannot get substitute teachers. This I know, as I often sub, and have even reduced my own time doing so.

Our local vet has cut her hours due to lack of vet techs. Also seems the number of actual vets has gone from 5 to 2. I still had no problem getting a same day/urgent care appointment for my cat though, only had to pick her up sooner (had to leave her there for the day) as they closed earlier than they used to.

Hope you are well. Staying zen as well in South Jersey.

Last edited:
I have heard about this virus before it’s been identified in 1960s. The outbreaks are almost exclusively in African countries and it spreads trough body fluids /broken skin vs being airborne or trough droplets. Which is good news.
“The virus can be transmitted by exposure to one species of fruit bats or it can be transmitted between people via body fluids through unprotected sex and broken skin. ”
Wiki page source
Marburg virus - Wikipedia

Thanks for that information!!!

I think the pandemic is far from over. BA.2 Omicron is increasing on a global level and replacing the now dominant in most places BA.1 Omicron. The idea is cases go up, peak, then go down....but in France cases keep going up...UK cases may start increasing again from a very high level...all I can say is PAY ATTENTION and don't get complacent. MOO

Josette Schoenmakers
@JosetteSchoenma

·
14h
BA.2 VUI in the UK! I hope the
@WHO
will follow soon. By the way, I just counted 395 BA.2 for the UK, many more than the 54 mentioned in this article. It seems to be growing fast in the UK as well, especially in England.

Last edited:
one more dated 21 Jan 2022~~from Fortune
What is 'stealth Omicron'?

BA.2 has gone from accounting for 20% of Denmark’s COVID-19 infections to making up 45%. Over that same period, Denmark's COVID infections have shot to record highs. Denmark is recording over 30,000 new cases per day this week, 10 times more cases than peaks in previous waves.

My husband is going on day 12 since he tested positive. Still feels pretty crappy. Can't shake the cough and head and chest congestion won't break up. I started feeling crummy so I took the other home test we had and I'm positive.

Sorry to hear that you have it too. I hope you both will recover soon. Keep us posted!

In my area of the Midwest, ALL of the walgreens pharmacies have reduced hours. They are only open 10-6 on weekdays now. No weekend hours and the line is always long. Our Chewy order was also canceled because of supply issues. Many of the small businesses here have experienced temporary shortages of workers who are out for COVID and are not doing their full services/hours. We had to reduce our hours for a couple weeks for the same reason. Even some schools are experiencing food shortages for the cafeterias and having to find food at local grocery stores to make up for supplier shortages. At one of the banks recently, a check scanner went down and the tellers were mistreated by those in line at the drive-thru. Someone even hurled something at the teller window.

In my area of the midwest, Walgreen's have normal hours, no reduction in hours. No lines, in and out. I do the drive-through window for my prescriptions. Public libraries, schools, etc. haven't needed to close, bus drivers seem to be back to work now that the omicron surge is reaching its peak and starting to go down.

I am about to put in my next chewy.com order this weekend, so hope it goes through!

You tested positive on day 12 after your husband’s positive test? That’s late! Did you have symptoms before? I’m on day 6 and my boyfriend is testing negative so far.
I had mild symptoms about a week after he tested positive. I didn't take the test until my symptoms got worse. I was pretty sure I was positive, I just wanted confirmation. Our adult daughter that lives with us is still symptom free. Fingers crossed she stays that way.

JaneEyre said:

Since you asked... :)

No, no long waits in any kind of lines in pharmacies or other services. We have plenty of supplies on the shelves - I have seen no shortages.

Population handling it? - if you go to a mall you must show your QR code vaccination cert, ID & must wear a mask. If you don't have any of those items - they will NOT let you in. Any store you go to - you must have those items. Plus still have social distancing & store capacity limits. And everyone behaves & wears their masks properly! Also, have not seen any rude people.

Oh - after Jan. 25th we have to wear a FFP2 mask-no more cloth masks will be allowed. I'll wear the FFP2 - I can easily breathe thru that & my glasses don't fog up! But I'll wear my cloth mask over that one. Our restrictions have been extended to Feb. 28th.

And during the weekends most of the non-essentials stores are closed.

So - living Zen in Latvia! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member