Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reality of 'Zero Covid' in China where 'quarantine camps' confine residents to cells, videos show | Daily Mail Online
upload_2022-1-14_21-26-30.pngupload_2022-1-14_21-26-48.pngupload_2022-1-14_21-27-9.pngupload_2022-1-14_21-27-34.png

China is undaunted in its effort to check Covid. Whether its pregnant women, children or elderly, people being forced to stay in crammed boxes even if a single person tests positive in their locality, reported Daily mail.

As per the same report, these boxes are furnished with a wooden bed and a toilet, and people might have to stay for as long as two weeks in these confined spaces. Often people are told after midnight that they have to move to quarantine centres immediately, and move out of their homes.

These measures - part of China’s strict zero Covid policy - are aimed at eliminating the outbreak before Lunar New Year and the Winter Olympics next month in China.

A Beijing Olympics official responsible for disease control, Huang Chun, said organisers are counting on the cooperation of athletes and officials to prevent an outbreak that could affect participation.

The Anyang omicron cases are believed to be linked to two other cases found Saturday in Tianjin. It appears to be the first time omicron has spread in mainland China beyond people who arrived from abroad and their immediate contacts.

The number of cases is still relatively low, with 58 new ones confirmed from the start of Monday to 8am Tuesday morning.

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-14_21-8-26.png
    upload_2022-1-14_21-8-26.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 15
  • upload_2022-1-14_21-15-7.png
    upload_2022-1-14_21-15-7.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2022-1-14_21-15-29.png
    upload_2022-1-14_21-15-29.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2022-1-14_21-16-3.png
    upload_2022-1-14_21-16-3.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2022-1-14_21-16-40.png
    upload_2022-1-14_21-16-40.png
    268 KB · Views: 14
I agree with you about potential shipping issues; but even before that, I’m expecting the website to crash.

It’s one central website for the whole country, right? I wish they could have done it by state, or even more local websites.

Even if done by city, here in NYC that will be millions of households trying to order.

I hope I’m wrong.

It'll be a mad house. At this point we can be guaranteed they will screw it up somehow. You're right though. There are so many other options they could go for rather than one centralized website for 122.8 million households.

Amazon can handle us. The USPS? No way.

Reality of 'Zero Covid' in China where 'quarantine camps' confine residents to cells, videos show | Daily Mail Online
View attachment 329970View attachment 329971View attachment 329972View attachment 329973

China is undaunted in its effort to check Covid. Whether its pregnant women, children or elderly, people being forced to stay in crammed boxes even if a single person tests positive in their locality, reported Daily mail.

As per the same report, these boxes are furnished with a wooden bed and a toilet, and people might have to stay for as long as two weeks in these confined spaces. Often people are told after midnight that they have to move to quarantine centres immediately, and move out of their homes.

These measures - part of China’s strict zero Covid policy - are aimed at eliminating the outbreak before Lunar New Year and the Winter Olympics next month in China.

A Beijing Olympics official responsible for disease control, Huang Chun, said organisers are counting on the cooperation of athletes and officials to prevent an outbreak that could affect participation.

The Anyang omicron cases are believed to be linked to two other cases found Saturday in Tianjin. It appears to be the first time omicron has spread in mainland China beyond people who arrived from abroad and their immediate contacts.

The number of cases is still relatively low, with 58 new ones confirmed from the start of Monday to 8am Tuesday morning.

I thought everyone in China was vaccinated.

My entire state is like that. No one quarantines or isolates or wears a mask. No contact tracing either. I was diagnosed with covid on Dec 23rd and have never heard a word from contact tracers. My doctor told me to isolate for 10 days, which of course I did. But no one checked. Our vaccinated rate is an abysmal 53%. This dude could come to SC and spread covid all he wants. No one cares around here. jmo

Same here in Florida--- pandemic----what pandemic!!!!!!
I havent had my hair done in 3_weeks cause even though all the
stylists at the salon are vaxxed and masked, Omicron scares me!!

View attachment 329970View attachment 329971View attachment 329972View attachment 329973

They are deluded if they think they can keep Omicron at bay while allowing a mass influx of thousands of people from countries all the around the world. The airports and hotels are going to be crawling with it in no time flat. Covid "bubbles". Absurd. jmo

It'll be a mad house. At this point we can be guaranteed they will screw it up somehow. You're right though. There are so many other options they could go for rather than one centralized website for 122.8 million households.

Amazon can handle us. The USPS? No way.

I’m thinking that it’s probably true that a for-profit behemoth like Amazon could handle the logistics better. However, since it is a commercial and not a government entity, there are likely many people who are not Amazon customers and don’t necessarily want their addresses on its list.

Fruitlessly, I wish that the White House had thought of using already highly populated address lists, like the DMV, IRS and voter rolls to mail out the test kits. That would still be problematic, though, for the itinerant or undocumented.

Yet a centralized website, even if logistically well-managed (haha), is problematic for those without internet access.

Again, I hope I’m wrong about the one website crashing, but I can’t even get through to a website to buy tickets for my granddaughter to see a concert. The whole country simultaneously on one site? Time will tell.

Although I want to say I’m grateful for at least the notion of sending us all tests, and IMO they should be sending each household N-95s, too.

Same here in Florida--- pandemic----what pandemic!!!!!!
I havent had my hair done in 3_weeks cause even though all the
stylists at the salon are vaxxed and masked, Omicron scares me!!
I've been cutting my own hair since April of 2020. I don't want to sit in a chair breathing the air from a person who has cut numerous peoples hair before me.

Plus I've saved a bunch of money by doing it myself. Helps to mitigate the high inflation we have these days.

They are deluded if they think they can keep Omicron at bay while allowing a mass influx of thousands of people from countries all the around the world. The airports and hotels are going to be crawling with it in no time flat. Covid "bubbles". Absurd. jmo

It is weird. They are only allowing mainland Chinese to attend as spectators. But there will still be the athletes from everywhere. I wonder if we'll be hearing about athletes from other countries being locked in quarantine boxes in China.

There is no way for them to maintain zero Covid as long as they have contact with the rest of the world. I wonder if these policies are just about maintaining control for the Olympics or if this is really their long term plan. Zero Covid. Zero contact.

I’m thinking that it’s probably true that a for-profit behemoth like Amazon could handle the logistics better. However, since it is a commercial and not a government entity, there are likely many people who are not Amazon customers and don’t necessarily want their addresses on its list.

Fruitlessly, I wish that the White House had thought of using already highly populated address lists, like the DMV, IRS and voter rolls to mail out the test kits. That would still be problematic, though, for the itinerant or undocumented.

Yet a centralized website, even if logistically well-managed (haha), is problematic for those without internet access.

Again, I hope I’m wrong about the one website crashing, but I can’t even get through to a website to buy tickets for my granddaughter to see a concert. The whole country simultaneously on one site? Time will tell.

Although I want to say I’m grateful for at least the notion of sending us all tests, and IMO they should be sending each household N-95s, too.

I think they just announced something yesterday about the idea of sending masks too! I guess we'll see soon what happens. Thankfully we have boxes of tests in case we need them so no need to contribute to overloading the website.

I think they just announced something yesterday about the idea of sending masks too! I guess we'll see soon what happens. Thankfully we have boxes of tests in case we need them so no need to contribute to overloading the website.

Bernie Sanders Reintroduces Bill To Send Free N95 Masks To All Americans

Baldwin, other Democrats back $5B proposal to send an N95 mask to every American

upload_2022-1-14_21-59-20.png

The Masks for All Act

Would appropriate $5 billion for the domestic manufacturing, procurement and distribution of N95 masks, which filter out at least 95% of airborne particles. Recent data shows that such masks protect wearers against omicron-infected, unmasked people for up to two and a half hours ― compared to just 20 to 30 minutes of protection provided by cloth or surgical masks.

The Washington Post reported Monday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may soon formally recommend people wear these better masks. That’s a shift away from its previous guidance, which was crafted when there was a shortage of N95 masks and the agency needed to ensure health care workers had access to them.

Last edited:
Upgrade Your Mask Now: Where To Buy N95 And KN95 Masks That Aren't Counterfeit

You Probably Should Double-Mask Now. Here's How To Do It Properly.

According to the CDC, 60% of respirator masks sold in the U.S. are counterfeit and do not meet NIOSH requirements.

The CDC says that the easiest way to determine if the mask you’re eyeing is NIOSH-approved is to search for it on the NIOSH Certified Equipment List. All NIOSH-approved respirators have a testing and certification approval number that must be printed on the items. It will look similar to this:
TC 84A-XXXX.

Respirator masks that earn NIOSH approval will also have specific labeling printed on the facepiece.

There’s also a running list of counterfeit respirator masks on the market that misrepresent NIOSH approval.

Below are five N95 and KN95 masks that had at one point been approved by either NIOSH or the FDA.

Powecom KN95 mask, NIOSH-approved N95 foldable mask, KN95 protective face mask,
WellBefore KN95 medical respirator mask, ALG Health N95 soft shell mask.

upload_2022-1-14_22-10-27.pngupload_2022-1-14_22-11-33.pngupload_2022-1-14_22-12-40.pngupload_2022-1-14_22-14-11.pngupload_2022-1-14_22-14-25.png

Last edited:
It is weird. They are only allowing mainland Chinese to attend as spectators. But there will still be the athletes from everywhere. I wonder if we'll be hearing about athletes from other countries being locked in quarantine boxes in China.

There is no way for them to maintain zero Covid as long as they have contact with the rest of the world. I wonder if these policies are just about maintaining control for the Olympics or if this is really their long term plan. Zero Covid. Zero contact.
They just want to make it through to staging the Olympics, imo. After that, I'm pretty certain they don't care much what happens to their citizens. Successfully staging the Olympics has been their main prize for the entire last 2 years. And they care enough about holding the Olympics to have imprisoned their citizens for the last 2 years to attain it.

Then, when their entire country gets infected, they will blame the rest of the world for not being as efficient and expedient as they are, and failing to follow their example. It's so predictable. jmo

ERs are overwhelmed as omicron continues to flood them with patients

This is being felt acutely at the emergency room where Dr. Bradley Dreifuss works in Tucson, Ariz.

"Our hospitals are totally full. We're not able to admit patients," he says. "It's led to major delays in care and patients sitting in the waiting room, eventually leaving and then coming back even sicker."

In Colorado, the situation is bad enough that ambulances are operating under new crisis protocols, where some patients may not be brought to a hospital if their condition isn't considered serious enough.

Schmitz says many hospitals are so full they are on diversion — meaning they aren't accepting ambulance traffic or transfers — and then patients end up stuck in the ER and waiting for a hospital bed to open up.

"You may be in a bed in the emergency department, not just for many hours, which was already very bad, but possibly even for several days," says Kelen at Johns Hopkins.

Some patients who need to be transferred from one ER to another for higher level emergency care are stuck. Snedecor says she's seeing this in Phoenix because the system is so inundated.

"They just sit there and they die, or they have long-term ill effects related to the fact that they couldn't get the care that they needed when they needed it," she says. "And we all know with a lot of these conditions — stroke, heart attack — time is of the essence."

I've been cutting my own hair since April of 2020. I don't want to sit in a chair breathing the air from a person who has cut numerous peoples hair before me.

Plus I've saved a bunch of money by doing it myself. Helps to mitigate the high inflation we have these days.

I would do my own hair , but I have problem hair that
needs professional attention, but good for you-- saving
money and not getting breathed on!!!

Meanwhile..

California county leaves more than $10M worth of COVID protective gear out in the rain

SAN MATEO, Calif. -- Workers in California's San Mateo County are scrambling to clean up a mess uncovered by our sister station in San Francisco, KGO-TV's I-Team. More than $10 million worth of precious personal protective equipment-- purchased with your tax dollars - was left outside in the rain.

This seems hard to believe, but top county officials didn't know that thousands of boxes of PPE were moved outside and forgotten for months until the I-Team told them.

KGO-TV's Dan Noyes got a tip on a recent rainy day and went straight to the San Mateo County Event Center, Gate 9, and couldn't quite believe what he found. Thousands upon thousands of boxes containing all sorts of brand new personal protective equipment soaking in the rain; stacks of boxes collapsing, too many to count, some breaking open and spilling their contents.

Meanwhile..

California county leaves more than $10M worth of COVID protective gear out in the rain

SAN MATEO, Calif. -- Workers in California's San Mateo County are scrambling to clean up a mess uncovered by our sister station in San Francisco, KGO-TV's I-Team. More than $10 million worth of precious personal protective equipment-- purchased with your tax dollars - was left outside in the rain.

This seems hard to believe, but top county officials didn't know that thousands of boxes of PPE were moved outside and forgotten for months until the I-Team told them.

KGO-TV's Dan Noyes got a tip on a recent rainy day and went straight to the San Mateo County Event Center, Gate 9, and couldn't quite believe what he found. Thousands upon thousands of boxes containing all sorts of brand new personal protective equipment soaking in the rain; stacks of boxes collapsing, too many to count, some breaking open and spilling their contents.

Pathetic!!

ERs are overwhelmed as omicron continues to flood them with patients

This is being felt acutely at the emergency room where Dr. Bradley Dreifuss works in Tucson, Ariz.

"Our hospitals are totally full. We're not able to admit patients," he says. "It's led to major delays in care and patients sitting in the waiting room, eventually leaving and then coming back even sicker."

In Colorado, the situation is bad enough that ambulances are operating under new crisis protocols, where some patients may not be brought to a hospital if their condition isn't considered serious enough.

Schmitz says many hospitals are so full they are on diversion — meaning they aren't accepting ambulance traffic or transfers — and then patients end up stuck in the ER and waiting for a hospital bed to open up.

"You may be in a bed in the emergency department, not just for many hours, which was already very bad, but possibly even for several days," says Kelen at Johns Hopkins.

Some patients who need to be transferred from one ER to another for higher level emergency care are stuck. Snedecor says she's seeing this in Phoenix because the system is so inundated.

"They just sit there and they die, or they have long-term ill effects related to the fact that they couldn't get the care that they needed when they needed it," she says. "And we all know with a lot of these conditions — stroke, heart attack — time is of the essence."

It doesnt get much worse!!!

Thank you all! For close to two years I’ve been likening the sacrifices we are being asked to make during the pandemic to the sacrifices made during WWII. My mother walked the streets of Greenwich Village in NYC during WWII checking for light leaks from blackout shades or noncompliance. When I asked her why it was so important (I was born in 1946) she explained that any light showing would let enemy pilots know where to drop their bombs.

I expect there were rebels then who didn’t take kindly to the gov’t telling them what to do, just as today. We are at war now, and masks are our blackout blinds. Many of the same people who refused to wear masks because the gov’t mandated it are now refusing to get vaccinated simply because “No one is going to tell me what to do.” We are in a WWII situation medically, and too many people are coping by selfishly rebelling. They would probably do the same thing in a “real” war, just as you all described. :mad:
JMO
I’m so thankful that my parents are not living through this. The pandemic would be like another WW. My father served in the Army Air Corps, now renamed the Air Force. My mom helped to rewire the bombs after the warheads were taken care of the warheads. Many of that generation appreciated their freedom while still respecting the government. Sacrifices were made for your communities.

Pathetic!!

Double pathetic, look at this mess! I can read isolation gown on the boxes.
48 pieces in a box.

11465861_011322-kgo-san-mateo-ppe-2-img.jpg

AASMipg.img

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-14_22-28-59.png
    upload_2022-1-14_22-28-59.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics