Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I previously posted this article:

China's massive COVID-19 lockdowns reportedly trapped a woman at her blind date's house

Now new article came out saying they are engaged!

Chinese couple trapped for a month together on their second date due to sudden COVID lockdown get engaged

0d113e761a067b23bc488b8196120161

A Chinese woman who was trapped on a month-long date due to a COVID-19 lockdown in Shaanxi province announced engagement plans to her quarantine date.

“At first, it was embarrassing for me to live in another person’s home,” Xiaoqing said, according to the South China Morning Post. “But soon I found they are easy-going and I got used to life there.”

The Post also reported that Fei had won Xiaoquing’s heart with flowers and presents given to her parents and that Xiaoqing found him more handsome in person, as well as a “responsible” and “considerate” man.

“I very much treasure the love between us,” she added. “This is the biggest harvest for me in the year of 2021. I am thankful for this special karma.”

Last edited:
White House Covid news briefing with Dr Fauci and Dr Walensky. Dr Fauci had some good slides which helped illustrate his explanation of the differences between B cells, and T cells. Also, Dr Walensky discussed vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization and death, comparing 2 doses to 3, and against Delta vs Omicron:

The University of Kansas Health System Update for 1/21/22 featured discussion of local Covid numbers, the hospital morgue and challenges it faces, and also discussion about masks.

Update:

China's massive COVID-19 lockdowns reportedly trapped a woman at her blind date's house

Chinese couple trapped for a month together on their second date due to sudden COVID lockdown get engaged

A Chinese woman who was trapped on a month-long date due to a COVID-19 lockdown in Shaanxi province announced engagement plans to her quarantine date.

“At first, it was embarrassing for me to live in another person’s home,” Xiaoqing said, according to the South China Morning Post. “But soon I found they are easy-going and I got used to life there.”

Fei’s parents had urged the two to get married after a week of the lockdown, but the couple plans to wait for at least six months before getting married, Taiwan News reported.

The Post also reported that Fei had won Xiaoquing’s heart with flowers and presents given to her parents and that Xiaoqing found him more handsome in person, as well as a “responsible” and “considerate” man.
He cooks, cleans, works, and doesn't talk much. What's not to love? Glad it worked out for them.

Even though I don't post often here, I always follow. Just thought I'd share my personal Covid experience with you FWIW:

My husband and me are both vaccinated and boosted even though we're not 65 but were being super cautious. Neither of us have any comorbidities, enjoy good health and have always practiced safe masking and social distancing from the beginning.

My brother-in-law died the day after Christmas, so my husband flew to the funeral. I had my family at my house for holidays. He got back New Years Eve and we both started feeling icky, scratchy throat, headache, sinus drainage and cough. Never even considered having Covid. It got worse, we tested positive on Jan. 3. We were in phone contact with our Doctors . Received antibiotics, steroids and cough syrup with codeine.

It got so horrible. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but I honestly thought I might die at one point. I could not breathe. We were sick for 10 plus days. Covid brain is a real thing, I couldn't even read home test instructions.

Almost 3 weeks later, I am still coughing deep down in chest. I am super lethargic, get winded easily. Hubs is doing better than me. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we had not been vaccinated. I now understand how so many people have died; it really ravages your respiratory system. I did see the Dr. in person on Wednesday. He said I could have these symptoms for a while even though I'm not testing positive or contagious anymore.

Please everyone, keep your guard up. Being vaxed doesn't make you immune, but it could very well save your life.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I'm so sorry that you've both been so terribly ill. I'm also relieved that you're alive and through the worst of it, and I agree that the vax and boosters kept you alive.

Do you have any idea how you caught it? Only if you care to share, of course. I'm wondering if anyone else in your family had it, those who came over for Christmas, or if your husband got it at the funeral or by (unavoidably) traveling during holiday time.

And also of course, condolences on the loss of your BIL. We just lost a SIL to colon cancer on January 11th.

Even though I don't post often here, I always follow. Just thought I'd share my personal Covid experience with you FWIW:

My husband and me are both vaccinated and boosted even though we're not 65 but were being super cautious. Neither of us have any comorbidities, enjoy good health and have always practiced safe masking and social distancing from the beginning.

My brother-in-law died the day after Christmas, so my husband flew to the funeral. I had my family at my house for holidays. He got back New Years Eve and we both started feeling icky, scratchy throat, headache, sinus drainage and cough. Never even considered having Covid. It got worse, we tested positive on Jan. 3. We were in phone contact with our Doctors . Received antibiotics, steroids and cough syrup with codeine.

It got so horrible. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but I honestly thought I might die at one point. I could not breathe. We were sick for 10 plus days. Covid brain is a real thing, I couldn't even read home test instructions.

Almost 3 weeks later, I am still coughing deep down in chest. I am super lethargic, get winded easily. Hubs is doing better than me. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we had not been vaccinated. I now understand how so many people have died; it really ravages your respiratory system. I did see the Dr. in person on Wednesday. He said I could have these symptoms for a while even though I'm not testing positive or contagious anymore.

Please everyone, keep your guard up. Being vaxed doesn't make you immune, but it could very well save your life.

You have been through a really rough time! I'm sorry you and hubs have been so sick and that you are still dealing with ill effects of this virus. Wishing you a full recovery soon!

Did you consider calling 911 or going to an ER when you were having so much trouble breathing? Maybe you were too sick and exhausted to seek emergency care.

Your experience makes me feel even more strongly that I don't want to get Covid under any circumstances. I can picture myself struggling like you have been doing. So I'm definitely keeping my guard up.

I wish you a quick and full recovery.

my guess is they are worried about the economy because this isn't gonna magically go away overnight. expect a huge wave to hit.
I'm not entirely sure this is just about the economy. We have had ongoing severe restrictions in 2020 and 2021 when other countries had loosened their restrictions massively and there was public outcry here about the damage to the economy. The latest round of restrictions were due to be in place for longer but were lifted early based on recent public health data. The medical officials seem confident this is OK for some reason.

My fear is that while hospital numbers aren't that worrying right now, we may soon see a waning in the efficacy of the vaccines in our boosted older population. Most of them had their third dose in early winter and I'm not all that confident that Omicron will continue to be mild for them while infection numbers remain high and they become more exposed. This is all so sudden. Very mixed reactions in the country tonight. Many people elated at life going back to almost normal but many other people downright scared. At least we still require face masks in stores and on public transport but that's about it... :eek:

I'm not entirely sure this is just about the economy. We have had ongoing severe restrictions in 2020 and 2021 when other countries had loosened their restrictions massively and there was public outcry here about the damage to the economy. The latest round of restrictions were due to be in place for longer but were lifted early based on recent public health data. The medical officials seem confident this is OK for some reason.

My fear is that while hospital numbers aren't that worrying right now, we may soon see a waning in the efficacy of the vaccines in our boosted older population. Most of them had their third dose in early winter and I'm not all that confident that Omicron will continue to be mild for them while infection numbers remain high and they become more exposed. This is all so sudden. Very mixed reactions in the country tonight. Many people elated at life going back to almost normal but many other people downright scared. At least we still require face masks in stores and on public transport but that's about it... :eek:

yikes.
everything I read is not recommending fully reopening.
I fear this is not wise.

Did you consider calling 911 or going to an ER when you were having so much trouble breathing? Maybe you were too sick and exhausted to seek emergency care.

I was wondering the same thing @anneg. But I also know that when I was so sick with covid a year ago, it wouldn’t have occurred to me to call 911 or go to ER. My breathing wasn’t in crisis, but my O2 level was sinking to the low 90s and I just wanted to sleep. I knew deep down that I didn’t want to go through another night at home, but I couldn’t have expressed that to my husband. Fortunately, he wasn’t as sick as I was and had the presence of mind to consult our doctor’s office several times that morning before telling me he was calling 911 around 1:00 pm…for which I am eternally grateful! But if we had both been extremely ill, I could have died. And when I read on our state website each day about deaths from covid, so many die at home, perhaps because they don’t/can’t think to get help. :(

@girlhasnoname I’m soooooo glad you survived, but so sorry you’re still struggling. I agree that “covid brain” is definitely a thing…I used it as an excuse for memory lapses as long as I could! Feel better soon and keep us posted. :)

You have been through a really rough time! I'm sorry you and hubs have been so sick and that you are still dealing with ill effects of this virus. Wishing you a full recovery soon!

Your experience makes me feel even more strongly that I don't want to get Covid under any circumstances. I can picture myself struggling like you have been doing. So I'm definitely keeping my guard up.
I kept an eye on my oxygen level, it got down a little but never below 93. Once the antibiotics and the steroids kicked in, I felt I was out of the woods. If I had continued to get worse, I definitely would have gone to the Emergency Room. Glad you're staying safe.

My husband is going on day 12 since he tested positive. Still feels pretty crappy. Can't shake the cough and head and chest congestion won't break up. I started feeling crummy so I took the other home test we had and I'm positive.

I have a question for those outside the US. Are you all experiencing longer wait times at pharmacies and for other services, too? And supply shortages?

And how is your population generally handling it?

I've been pretty zen about it because what else is there to do? But I know others are anything but zen while waiting in line and our workers are sorely mistreated.

Thank you for this sound advice. I'm so sorry you and your husband had to suffer through this. It sounds like you really had a tough time and are still suffering from the effects. Please be easy on yourself and give yourself plenty of time to recover. I hope you turn the corner to feeling better really soon. Keep us updated if you can.

I was tested (PCR) today as I've had a horrible headache for 3+ days. No other symptoms (maybe a little more tired than usual), it's just that I never get headaches so it worried me. Home test was negative.

My husband is going on day 12 since he tested positive. Still feels pretty crappy. Can't shake the cough and head and chest congestion won't break up. I started feeling crummy so I took the other home test we had and I'm positive.
Oh no 155etta! I'm so sorry to hear this. Please check in and keep us updated!

Update:

“I very much treasure the love between us,” she added. “This is the biggest harvest for me in the year of 2021. I am thankful for this special karma.”
This is adorable! What a heartwarming story they will have to tell their children (if they have any I mean).

I have a question for those outside the US. Are you all experiencing longer wait times at pharmacies and for other services, too? And supply shortages?

And how is your population generally handling it?

I've been pretty zen about it because what else is there to do? But I know others are anything but zen while waiting in line and our workers are sorely mistreated.

Seems zen here.

So far, I am experiencing less wait time. We are two months into our state border having opened and our restrictions eased. Our cases seem to be plateauing.

For example, when I go to the local shopping centre (for the pharmacy) I can always score a good car park now. Fewer shoppers in the stores.

People are being 'normal nice' to each other.
Delivery services are a bit slower .... have had no missing items in grocery deliveries. Reportedly, there has been some shortages.

We still have some restrictions (masks, social distancing, venue capacity limits) as they are trying to keep the caseload low so as to not hurt the workforce too much - because the workforce has been feeling the strain.

I notice our major supermarket chains have really smiley peppy ads running everywhere - how we are all masking up, and QR code checking in, to keep our grocery shopping experience fresh and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021