Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poison centers around the country sound alarm on chemical in some COVID-19 at-home tests

Several poison centers throughout the United States have reported sodium azide exposures from the COVID-19 test kits. Goertemoeller estimated there have been 200-plus reported cases from the 55 poison centers nationwide.

"Sodium azide is a very potent poison, and ingestion of relatively low doses can cause significant toxicity," Poison Control said. "The extraction vials do look like small squeeze bottles or eye droppers. Some people may accidentally confuse them with medications and apply the drops into their eyes or nose, which may cause irritation.

People also may spill it on their skin which can cause skin irritation or chemical burns. Small children may accidentally swallow the contents of the vial or choke on the vial’s small cap."

Poison Control notes that the poisoning risk is low when these tests are used and disposed of properly.
  • Store the kits in a high cabinet, preferably locked, and out of sight of children.
  • For adults, read the directions carefully before using the test kits.
  • When done testing, immediately wrap the contents of the kit and dispose of them out of your home.
  • Check children's backpacks for kits, in case your child's school sent one home, and remove the kit immediately.
  • If you suspect someone has been exposed, call the poison center at 800-222-1222.

Went shopping in person the other day and found that I was far from the only person wearing a mask.

Seems the majority are not ditching the masks, even though the wear a mask rules changed days ago.

There were people of all ages still wearing them, right down to teens and twenties.

Edited to put in that I am in New South Wales, Australia. NSW for short :)

Well you know what they say about common sense ;)
I mean it’s chemical /medical stuff. Treat it as such.

Poison centers around the country sound alarm on chemical in some COVID-19 at-home tests

Several poison centers throughout the United States have reported sodium azide exposures from the COVID-19 test kits. Goertemoeller estimated there have been 200-plus reported cases from the 55 poison centers nationwide.

"Sodium azide is a very potent poison, and ingestion of relatively low doses can cause significant toxicity," Poison Control said. "The extraction vials do look like small squeeze bottles or eye droppers. Some people may accidentally confuse them with medications and apply the drops into their eyes or nose, which may cause irritation.

People also may spill it on their skin which can cause skin irritation or chemical burns. Small children may accidentally swallow the contents of the vial or choke on the vial’s small cap."

Poison Control notes that the poisoning risk is low when these tests are used and disposed of properly.
  • Store the kits in a high cabinet, preferably locked, and out of sight of children.
  • For adults, read the directions carefully before using the test kits.
  • When done testing, immediately wrap the contents of the kit and dispose of them out of your home.
  • Check children's backpacks for kits, in case your child's school sent one home, and remove the kit immediately.
  • If you suspect someone has been exposed, call the poison center at 800-222-1222.

I will continue masking, until my chemo treatment is finished. Maybe longer, idk.
And I’m certainly not going to throw any of my extra masks out.
Who knows what variant next fall will bring. (PRAYING FOR NONE or a mild one).

Call me confused. I watched the "State of the Union" address last night in the United States, only one or two masks on in the entire place.

This is going to become tricky. Because the rest of the federal government workers and people who enter federal buildings are required to wear masks...or will it become optional? Or is it that the rest of the people still have to wear masks, while the leaders can do whatever they want?!

Call me confused. I watched the "State of the Union" address last night in the United States, only one or two masks on in the entire place.

This is going to become tricky. Because the rest of the federal government workers and people who enter federal buildings are required to wear masks...or will it become optional? Or is it that the rest of the people still have to wear masks, while the leaders can do whatever they want?!

U.S. tells agencies they can ease federal employee mask rules

I found this - hope it helps with your confusion- that said, I think we are all confused since the goal posts keep moving every day!!

Well you know what they say about common sense ;)
I mean it’s chemical /medical stuff. Treat it as such.

Exactly. It’s not rocket science, is it…

I’ve just checked the expiry dates of our tests and they’re all January 2024. I dunno what tests you’re getting with short expiry dates and a propensity for poisoning!! Between that, the expense, and the crazy postage delays it almost looks like the USA wants to make testing as awkward as possible.

Exactly. It’s not rocket science, is it…

I’ve just checked the expiry dates of our tests and they’re all January 2024. I dunno what tests you’re getting with short expiry dates and a propensity for poisoning!! Between that, the expense, and the crazy postage delays it almost looks like the USA wants to make testing as awkward as possible.

I believe the free tests distributed recently by the U.S. government were stockpiled tests due to expire this year. I think the ones we got will expire in July. Tests I bought from CVS in December have a late expiration date.

I've read that the FDA may provide updated info on use of test kits beyond their expiration dates based on new info from manufacturers. MOO

WHO leader says "critical" oxygen shortage in Ukraine will impact ability to treat Covid-19 patients

“Critical shortage of oxygen will have an impact on the ability to treat patients with Covid-19 and many other conditions. At least three major oxygen plants in Ukraine have now closed and we're seeking ways of accessing oxygen from neighboring countries and ways to deliver it safely to where it's needed,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a news briefing.
Tedros said there is an “urgent need” to establish a corridor so supplies can be transported in the region.

“I think the estimate just last week was 2,000 people on oxygen, high-flow oxygen for Covid,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO Health Emergencies Program, said, adding that the number has likely risen since then, including people who need oxygen for non-Covid conditions.”

—-

Conflict in Ukraine makes it "much more likely" Covid-19 will spread, WHO official says

“Conditions on the ground in Ukraine will make it easier for Covid-19 to spread, Dr. Mike Ryan, director of the World Health Organization’s Health Emergencies Program, said during a news briefing on Wednesday.

“Anytime you disrupt society like this and put literally millions of people on the move, then infectious diseases will exploit that,” Ryan said.

“People are packed together, they're stressed, and they're not eating, they're not sleeping properly. They're highly susceptible to the impacts, first of all being infected themselves. And it's much more likely that disease will spread,” he said.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the organization is “deeply concerned” about reports it has received about attacks on health care facilities and workers.

“We have received several unconfirmed reports of attacks on hospitals and health infrastructure, and one confirmed incident last week in which a hospital came under heavy weapons attack, killing four people and injuring 10, including six health workers.
We are currently in the process of verifying several other incidents,” he said.

“Attacks on health care are in violation of international humanitarian law,” Tedros said.”

—-

Last edited:
It seems that in the US, the move is toward people going to their pharmacy for a covid test and if they are positive being immediately given an anti-viral (Paxlovid) at no cost.

"Test to Treat"
White House unveils new Covid strategy including ‘test to treat’ plan – as it happened

This article in The Lancet states that Test to Treat has been a missing piece of the covid battle.

"Fortunately, test and treat is a tried-and-true approach in which early diagnosis and outpatient treatment prevents disease progression and transmission."
Test and treat: a missing link in the global fight against COVID-19

DH and I are talking to friends about going to a restaurant for dinner Sunday evening. I think we are ready. It will be warm here (NC) so outdoors dining will be feasible.

We went to our local Farmers Market this week without masks, first time in 2 years. It was a warm, sunny day and it felt so good. We will probably continue wearing masks at church and choir rehearsals for now, but that may change soon. I can't wait to sing without a mask again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361