Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON – The White House is planning for “dire” contingencies that could include rationing supplies of vaccines and treatments this fall if Congress doesn’t approve more money for fighting COVID-19.

In public comments and private meetings on Capitol Hill, Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House coronavirus coordinator, has painted a dark picture in which the U.S. could be forced to cede many of the advances made against the coronavirus over the last two years and even the most vulnerable could face supply shortages.

Biden administration officials have been warning for weeks that the country has spent nearly all the money in the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan that was dedicated directly to COVID-19 response.

A small pool of money remains, and the administration faces critical decisions about how to spend it. That means tough decisions, like weighing whether to use it to secure the next generation of vaccines to protect the highest risk populations or giving priority to a supply of highly effective therapies that dramatically reduce the risks of severe illness and death...

WASHINGTON – The White House is planning for “dire” contingencies that could include rationing supplies of vaccines and treatments this fall if Congress doesn’t approve more money for fighting COVID-19.

In public comments and private meetings on Capitol Hill, Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House coronavirus coordinator, has painted a dark picture in which the U.S. could be forced to cede many of the advances made against the coronavirus over the last two years and even the most vulnerable could face supply shortages.

Biden administration officials have been warning for weeks that the country has spent nearly all the money in the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan that was dedicated directly to COVID-19 response.

A small pool of money remains, and the administration faces critical decisions about how to spend it. That means tough decisions, like weighing whether to use it to secure the next generation of vaccines to protect the highest risk populations or giving priority to a supply of highly effective therapies that dramatically reduce the risks of severe illness and death...
As I have said before, congress must think of American Citizens first, which should mean
Using some of those bil!ions we give the Ukraine, for vaccines and treatment for
American citizens.

As I have said before, congress must think of American Citizens first, which should mean
Using some of those bil!ions we give the Ukraine, for vaccines and treatment for
American citizens.

I agree, but with the was the Federal government works, it is not usually possible to shift funds from money appropriated by Congress for a particular. Generally, Congress must shift those funds from one purpose to another. But I think Congress should allocate adequate funding for new Covid vaccines and treatments. Covid isn't gone yet.

I agree, but with the was the Federal government works, it is not usually possible to shift funds from money appropriated by Congress for a particular. Generally, Congress must shift those funds from one purpose to another. But I think Congress should allocate adequate funding for new Covid vaccines and treatments. Covid isn't gone yet.
It definitely is not gone--- cases are increasing- and so many people are living life like covid
Is gone-- which means cases will continue to increase and we will need vaccines and more drugs
For treatment!!!

I'll correct my own typos... My tablet keyboard isn't easy.

I agree, but with the way the Federal government works, it is not usually possible to shift funds from money appropriated by Congress for a particular purpose. Generally, Congress must shift those funds from one purpose to another. But I think Congress should allocate adequate funding for new Covid vaccines and treatments. Covid isn't gone yet.

“COVID is not a “one and done” thing—far from it.

Those who are unvaccinated and don’t mask can expect to come down with COVID once a year or so—once every other year for the unvaccinated who regularly use a “good quality” mask in public, according to modeling by drug developer Fractal Therapeutics.

As for the vaccinated, both masked and unmasked, they can expect to get COVID “a lot less frequently,” though it’s impossible to say just how often, said Arijit Chakravarty, a COVID researcher and Fractal Therapeutics CEO.

“The bottom line is if you are planning not to use a mask and live your life as usual, expect to get infected at least once a year, if not more,” he said. “If you’re planning to mask everywhere but at home, that probably cuts the risk in half.”

Those who are unvaccinated and don’t mask can expect to come down with COVID once a year or so—once every other year for the unvaccinated who regularly use a “good quality” mask in public, according to modeling by drug developer Fractal Therapeutics.

As for the vaccinated, both masked and unmasked, they can expect to get COVID “a lot less frequently,” though it’s impossible to say just how often, said Arijit Chakravarty, a COVID researcher and Fractal Therapeutics CEO.

“The bottom line is if you are planning not to use a mask and live your life as usual, expect to get infected at least once a year, if not more,” he said. “If you’re planning to mask everywhere but at home, that probably cuts the risk in half.”
Well, what a cheery prospect!!!! NOT

I’ve already had it 3 times-twice before being vaccinated and once just after getting boosted. With my medical history, I expect to get it again...which is why I continue to mask. Even my doctor says I should still be.

I’ve already had it 3 times-twice before being vaccinated and once just after getting boosted. With my medical history, I expect to get it again...which is why I continue to mask. Even my doctor says I should still be.
Oh my goodness, three times.
I’m still masking. I ordered more the other day.

Wow, very powerful:
Very powerful and very sad- it seems that at least some of the people who died seemed to be doing better at some point and thought they were getting better- that is what is really horrible about this virus (among other things): patients seem to be improving and then all of a sudden they deteriorate and are gone. Worse, at the beginning of this pandemic, loved ones were not allowed to be with the patient, and so many patients died alone---just horrible.

Oh my goodness, three times.
I’m still masking. I ordered more the other day.

Yep. The first time was right at the beginning of the pandemic before anyone knew what the heck was really going on. In fact, I wasn’t even allowed to stay home even though I was super sick and everyone at work knew...I work at a grocery store and my boss was like “we need all hands on deck right now.” It was not fun.

I have a bunch of disposable masks at home. I used to wear reusable, but I got tired of washing them all the time, lol. Plus, I have a small face so I can get away with kids masks and they have cute designs on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth