Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least 13 residents and four staff members at the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home have been infected with COVID-19 in the latest outbreak of the disease that killed 84 residents at the start of the pandemic

Due to vaccinations there aren't deaths like there were at the beginning of the pandemic. I hope these residents recover----as far as only 20% of staff getting the bivalent booster, that is about the percentage of the entire population of people that are getting that new booster. In fact, only a small percentage of people, including seniors, even got the boosters. Can't figure it out.

Due to vaccinations there aren't deaths like there were at the beginning of the pandemic. I hope these residents recover----as far as only 20% of staff getting the bivalent booster, that is about the percentage of the entire population of people that are getting that new booster. In fact, only a small percentage of people, including seniors, even got the boosters. Can't figure it out.
I believe in vaccinations and I was very happy to get my first three, however, by the time the bivalent came around, the shots would make me a bit ill and I really had to kick myself in the butt to make the appt. Since a lot of sources have said that the boosted immunity wears off quickly, I imagine some people were either discouraged. or trying to "time" their booster... maybe pre Christmas? Pre-travel? just guessing.

A lot of people probably skipped the flu shot, also, and this year's flu virus is a bad strain. That, with the respiratory illness that is circulating, along with covid, is hitting hospitals hard, as in the Central California Valley.

People need to be better informed about getting the annual flu shot, especially this year, and protect themselves and others.

I believe in vaccinations and I was very happy to get my first three, however, by the time the bivalent came around, the shots would make me a bit ill and I really had to kick myself in the butt to make the appt. Since a lot of sources have said that the boosted immunity wears off quickly, I imagine some people were either discouraged. or trying to "time" their booster... maybe pre Christmas? Pre-travel? just guessing.

h
I have never had a severe response to the vaccine/boosters, sore arm, and after the 1st booster had some unusual upper back discomfort but it went away in a day or so. Nevertheless, I am not looking forward to getting the bivalent. It has been 4 1/2 months since my 2nd booster so I know I need to get the bivalent, but I am not quite ready. Not sure if it will December or January before I get it. I am thrilled we have a vaccine, not so thrilled that immunity wears off so quickly. What I am questioning though is why so many people, including seniors did not get the boosters. It is puzzling.

Just got the Moderna bivalent booster! We were shopping at a Walmart, looking for something specific.

(We don’t normally shop there, but my husband said they have Diamond Kosher Salt, which is what we wanted.:) However, they didn’t have it.:( But, I digress. ;))

We saw a sign stating they administer the Covid vaccine at their pharmacy, so we inquired. Walk-ins were accepted, and no one was waiting, so we went for it. They gave us 8 (4 for each) boxes of BinaxNOW test kits,too, saying our insurance offers it, free.

Feeling happy to get this protection. Now, to wait and see if I start feeling the ill side effects I usually get. I will be surprised if I don’t.

Just got the Moderna bivalent booster! We were shopping at a Walmart, looking for something specific.

(We don’t normally shop there, but my husband said they have Diamond Kosher Salt, which is what we wanted.:) However, they didn’t have it.:( But, I digress. ;))

We saw a sign stating they administer the Covid vaccine at their pharmacy, so we inquired. Walk-ins were accepted, and no one was waiting, so we went for it. They gave us 8 (4 for each) boxes of BinaxNOW test kits,too, saying our insurance offers it, free.

Feeling happy to get this protection. Now, to wait and see if I start feeling the ill side effects I usually get. I will be surprised if I don’t.

Can anyone explain to me about what the bivalent booster is? What Covid vaccine companies offer it?

Has it totally replaced the previous boosters?

Why is it good to get it? Why might it not be good to get it?

Been away from the thread wrapped up in a very long trial.

@Cool Cats, there are smarter people than me that post on this thread, but from what I understand, the bivalent booster is the updated version, to better protect against the Omicron strains that are predominant now. Pfizer and Moderna each have made their boosters available, and either have similar efficacy, i believe.

Why is it good to get? For me, i believe in getting the boosters since the protection from a prior booster shot wanes after time. Also, I am older and have some existing health conditions.

@Cool Cats, there are smarter people than me that post on this thread, but from what I understand, the bivalent booster is the updated version, to better protect against the Omicron strains that are predominant now. Pfizer and Moderna each have made their boosters available, and either have similar efficacy, i believe.

Why is it good to get? For me, i believe in getting the boosters since the protection from a prior booster shot wanes after time. Also, I am older and have some existing health conditions.
Just to add that yes it has replaced the “old” boosters - they’re no longer available

Also, if someone has received only two doses of mRNA vaxes ( or the single J&j I think) they can get the Novavax shot (which is not an mRNA vax) as a booster

link for the novavax info

Can anyone explain to me about what the bivalent booster is? What Covid vaccine companies offer it?

Has it totally replaced the previous boosters?

Why is it good to get it? Why might it not be good to get it?

Been away from the thread wrapped up in a very long trial.
The above answers are great. Here is a link about the bivalent booster:

COVID-19 Bivalent Vaccine Boosters​

Updated vaccine boosters authorized for use as a single dose​

11/29/2022
Español

The virus that causes COVID-19 changes over time. Keep your protection against COVID-19 up to date by getting a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.

The bivalent COVID-19 vaccines include a component of the original virus strain to provide broad protection against COVID-19 and a component of the omicron variant to provide better protection against COVID-19 caused by the omicron variant. These are called bivalent COVID-19 vaccines because they contain these two components. A bivalent COVID-19 vaccine may also be referred to as “updated” COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.

COVID-19 vaccines can help protect against severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19. As the virus changes and your immunity naturally decreases over time, you may lose some of that protection.

Search in your zip code to find a location where a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine booster dose is available near you.

Video: Why should I get the updated COVID-19 vaccine now?[1:35]

The FDA authorized bivalent formulations of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines for use as a single booster dose at least two months after completing primary or booster vaccination.

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent is authorized for use as single booster dose in individuals 6 years of age and older.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalentis authorized for use as a single booster dose in individuals 5 years of age and older.

More at link.

ETA: I got the Pfizer bivalent booster in September. Minimal reaction to it.

Well, remember the good old days, at the beginning of the pandemic when we washed our groceries?-anyway this article goes into great detail about how long Covid may remain on surfaces- However, after going thru all of explaining how long Covid may remain on surfaces they say it still remains that Covid is really an airborne virus and they don't believe it is spread by touching a surface that may contain Covid. I know I am not going back to wiping down my groceries.

I think the key is good handwashing. I wash my hands after I get the mail, I wash my hands after grocery shopping- I think the key is to wash your hands often and do not touch your face, nose, mouth or eyes after touching items.
In fact after grocery shopping when I get in the car I immediately use hand sanitizer. Since those early days I have been of the opinion that contracting Covid via touching surfaces, food, mail, etc. would be very difficult----

The above answers are great. Here is a link about the bivalent booster:

COVID-19 Bivalent Vaccine Boosters​

Updated vaccine boosters authorized for use as a single dose​

11/29/2022
Español

The virus that causes COVID-19 changes over time. Keep your protection against COVID-19 up to date by getting a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.

The bivalent COVID-19 vaccines include a component of the original virus strain to provide broad protection against COVID-19 and a component of the omicron variant to provide better protection against COVID-19 caused by the omicron variant. These are called bivalent COVID-19 vaccines because they contain these two components. A bivalent COVID-19 vaccine may also be referred to as “updated” COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.

COVID-19 vaccines can help protect against severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19. As the virus changes and your immunity naturally decreases over time, you may lose some of that protection.

Search in your zip code to find a location where a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine booster dose is available near you.

Video: Why should I get the updated COVID-19 vaccine now?[1:35]

The FDA authorized bivalent formulations of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines for use as a single booster dose at least two months after completing primary or booster vaccination.

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent is authorized for use as single booster dose in individuals 6 years of age and older.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalentis authorized for use as a single booster dose in individuals 5 years of age and older.

More at link.

ETA: I got the Pfizer bivalent booster in September. Minimal reaction to it.

Waiting for Latvia to get this new bivalent booster...

Well, remember the good old days, at the beginning of the pandemic when we washed our groceries?-anyway this article goes into great detail about how long Covid may remain on surfaces- However, after going thru all of explaining how long Covid may remain on surfaces they say it still remains that Covid is really an airborne virus and they don't believe it is spread by touching a surface that may contain Covid. I know I am not going back to wiping down my groceries.

I think the key is good handwashing. I wash my hands after I get the mail, I wash my hands after grocery shopping- I think the key is to wash your hands often and do not touch your face, nose, mouth or eyes after touching items.
In fact after grocery shopping when I get in the car I immediately use hand sanitizer. Since those early days I have been of the opinion that contracting Covid via touching surfaces, food, mail, etc. would be very difficult----
Old days? We never stopped wiping down groceries. After a while it just became a habit that couldn’t hurt and might help, if not against Covid, then against other viruses and bacteria that I don’t need in my home.

Dec 2 (Reuters) - Lapses in strategies to tackle COVID-19 this year continue to create the perfect conditions for a deadly new variant to emerge, as parts of China witness a rise in infections, the head of the World Health Organization said on Friday.

The comments by WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus mark a change in tone just months after he said that the world has never been in a better position to end the pandemic.

More at link above . . .

How are you feeling now?

How kind of you to ask! Feeling better now.

I thought I was going to be lucky this time, but around 10:30pm last night it hit me, that body-achy feeling, just as I was settling down to sleep. Still felt it this morning, but now I think I’m ok! :)
I think the good thing about the side effects from the vaccine is they don't last all that long: hope you feel better soon!!

Whats the latest guidelines?

I just had a coworker tell me she thinks she was exposed 8 days ago. Started getting symptomatic Thursday. Tested positive Saturday. And will test in the morning before we work together. She said if she's negative we're good to go.

I was vaccinated 3/2021 and had a bad reaction (heart) so no boosters.

Why in the world am I going blank trying to find guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288