Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across these 2 fact looking for something else so thought I'd share:

COVID-19 has been attributed as a cause of brain damage, especially in people older than 70 years. Some patients who recovered from COVID-19 were found to have brain damage because of decreased oxygenation to the brain. Such hypoxia manifests as mild deficits in cognition such as inattention, shown to not necessarily affect daily life of affected individuals.

COVID-19 infection is considered a long-term risk factor for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) as a complication of CNS causes (i.e. direct viral encephalitis) and non-CNS causes (i.e. systemic inflammation, damage to peripheral vital organs, and cerebrovascular events due to thrombosis)

I ran across these 2 fact looking for something else so thought I'd share:

COVID-19 has been attributed as a cause of brain damage, especially in people older than 70 years. Some patients who recovered from COVID-19 were found to have brain damage because of decreased oxygenation to the brain. Such hypoxia manifests as mild deficits in cognition such as inattention, shown to not necessarily affect daily life of affected individuals.

COVID-19 infection is considered a long-term risk factor for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) as a complication of CNS causes (i.e. direct viral encephalitis) and non-CNS causes (i.e. systemic inflammation, damage to peripheral vital organs, and cerebrovascular events due to thrombosis)

Covid is evil

When someone coughs around me I freak out- hoping that person does not have Covid. The only time I mask up is if I have a doctor or dentist appointment, in the waiting room I wear a mask and take it off when I go back to see the physician. I still do not go out to eat at crowded restaurants. I did not get the latest booster and feel I am unprotected so I take precautions within reason. I think too many people think Covid is in the rear view mirror: it isn't- the pandemic itself is over though.
I will certainly think twice, and make a big point of keeping as great a distance from others as possible when I go grocery shopping, etc. That’s honestly about all I do in public places anymore, other than an occasional restaurant. I also avoid crowded restaurants, not to mention I just don’t like crowds anyway.
I absolutely want to avoid having Covid again, because it could very possibly lead to another episode of bronchitis, or even worse. No thank you.
And I think I will scream if someone try’s to shake my hand again. I can’t even imagine where such a dumb custom came from. Why touch someone’s hand you don’t even know. JMO

If I was a young, healthy adult, I wouldn't be as concerned about covid at thsi stage, other than in some situations. Everyone has to assess their risk and act accordingly. But as an older adult with some medical issues, I have to assess risk factors differently as getting covid could have more serious side effects. Unfortunately, those of us who are older and/or immuno-compromised at various ages have to take more precautions. It's our bad luck.

In our region, right now flu is the major concern as infections have gone up by 30% over the last week. So that is a concern for seniors and immuno-compromised as the flu season and hospitalizations, etc. grows stronger.

I don't think I will get another Covid-19 vaccine until next fall as long as I don't need to travel by plane or some other risk factor is in the picture. Usually in the spring the numbers of both covid and flu decrease as people enjoy more activities outdoors and are not crambed in together like the winter months.

Again, everyone needs to assess their own risk factors and make decisions accordingly. I don't see any need for my neighbors or others in the grocery store to wear a mask if they don't feel it is necessary. I see a handful of people doing so to protect themselves from the high flu infections in the region, and some due to Covid, but very few which I think is understandable. Our universities are doing okay, and K-12 schools as well, no major breakouts of either covid or flu. So for the majority, it seems to be less of a risk.

The numbers of hospitalizations and deaths from Covid are what I pay attention to. And the age groups that go with that data.

JMO.
I agree. I caught Covid from my husband. He was only sick three to four days. Like a head cold. My symptoms were the same but lasted longer about 8 days. But then I ended up with bronchitis and a sinus infection, and ended up being sick for two months.
I mean the doctors never really said, except one … that the concern with Covid was the possibility of pneumonia, which I thankfully did not have.
I guess the reality is that any cold virus can become more serious.

I’m definitely not making it a habit to wear a mask to go to the grocery store, at least not at this point. For one thing, I feel like I’m suffocating, and I don’t think they’re healthy. I only have worn a mask most recently when I was coughing. But I respect anyone’s decision to do so or not.

I will certainly think twice, and make a big point of keeping as great a distance from others as possible when I go grocery shopping, etc. That’s honestly about all I do in public places anymore, other than an occasional restaurant. I also avoid crowded restaurants, not to mention I just don’t like crowds anyway.
I absolutely want to avoid having Covid again, because it could very possibly lead to another episode of bronchitis, or even worse. No thank you.
And I think I will scream if someone try’s to shake my hand again. I can’t even imagine where such a dumb custom came from. Why touch someone’s hand you don’t even know. JMO
(Bolding by me) I AGREEEEEE!!!! But don't scream, do like I do now.

A virtual handshake, which is something I thought I made up, with a twist to what's posted below. If someone extends their hand, I'll put my hand up like I'm going to shake their hand with several feet between our hands. I say "Virtual handshake" and move my hand up and down twice like a handshake, but without my hand in their hand. It works better than "I don't shake" (or screaming. lol) I get less weird looks.

The virtual handshake is a way of greeting someone online instead of in person. It is often used by people who are meeting for the first time, or by people who are unable to shake hands in person. To do a virtual handshake, you raise your hand in the air and wave, or you can type out the words “virtual handshake.”

I also stopped shaking hands long ago in business settings. I never liked doing it but it was just something you were expected to do. However, I stopped after a large guy (I'm a petite woman) did the "Vise-Grip" handshake on me like he was trying to out-macho a petite middle aged woman. WTHeck?!?! It was so painful and drawn out that I almost fell to my knees with my hand still clutched in his meaty palm. Once released I did inspect my fingers to make sure nothing was broken. And no, I'm not overexaggerating. That was when I decided No more!

To me, it's a custom that should have been shelved long before Covid simply for the germ passing thing, let alone the bone-crusher handshake that some have to endure. What's funny to me are people's reactions when I'd say "I don't shake" when they extend their hand, which is why I moved on to a virtual handshake as they tend to find "I don't shake" weird, but a virtual handshake at least makes them think 'Hmmm... maybe that's not a bad idea". Sure beats them thinking you're weird, PLUS, they might end up realizing the virtual shake is a MUCH better idea!

Seriously... that's a custom that needs to go to the wayside IMO! lol

Oh, and once I said "I don't shake" when a friend introduced me to someone when I was having a real bad issue with a painful right shoulder so could barely move my arm... the guy looked at me shocked like I thought he had cooties or something (he could have. lol) and the friend who had introduced me felt like he had to explain my actions (or non-reaction) out of embarrassment. Whatever. lol

I also stopped shaking hands long ago in business settings. I never liked doing it but it was just something you were expected to do. However, I stopped after a large guy (I'm a petite woman) did the "Vise-Grip" handshake on me like he was trying to out-macho a petite middle aged woman. WTHeck?!?! It was so painful and drawn out that I almost fell to my knees with my hand still clutched in his meaty palm. Once released I did inspect my fingers to make sure nothing was broken. And no, I'm not overexaggerating. That was when I decided No more!

To me, it's a custom that should have been shelved long before Covid simply for the germ passing thing, let alone the bone-crusher handshake that some have to endure. What's funny to me are people's reactions when I'd say "I don't shake" when they extend their hand, which is why I moved on to a virtual handshake as they tend to find "I don't shake" weird, but a virtual handshake at least makes them think 'Hmmm... maybe that's not a bad idea". Sure beats them thinking you're weird, PLUS, they might end up realizing the virtual shake is a MUCH better idea!

Seriously... that's a custom that needs to go to the wayside IMO! lol

Oh, and once I said "I don't shake" when a friend introduced me to someone when I was having a real bad issue with a painful right shoulder so could barely move my arm... the guy looked at me shocked like I thought he had cooties or something (he could have. lol) and the friend who had introduced me felt like he had to explain my actions (or non-reaction) out of embarrassment. Whatever. lol
Hahahaha
I'm still laughing :D

What about "elbow touching"? ;)

In my country (Europe) nobody is wearing masks any more and people react alergically if somebody mentions COVID hehe

I hated masks by the way.
I was suffocating in them.

Hahahaha
I'm still laughing :D

What about "elbow touching"? ;)

In my country (Europe) nobody is wearing masks any more and people react alergically if somebody mentions COVID hehe

I hated masks by the way.
I was suffocating in them.
Elbow touching (bumping) is a great idea! :)

I'm not fond of masks either. But I'd hate feeling like I'm suffocating due to Covid and have the need to be intubated. So wear my mask I will.

And people who mention they feel like they are suffocating wearing them makes me wonder what type of masks you're wearing as I do not feel like I'm suffocating in my N95. It's just not fun wearing one, nor is it very attractive, and definitely doesn't go with my outfits! And I'm one that used to match my coffee cup for my morning Starbucks to my outfit (pre-covid), so ya know I'm not liking the 2 ugly blue rubber bands around the back of my head! :(

But I figure the mask is more attractive than me in a coffin or a hospital bed so.... But I have to admit, it's going on the 5th year and this is getting tiresome. :(

Elbow touching (bumping) is a great idea! :)

I'm not fond of masks either. But I'd hate feeling like I'm suffocating due to Covid and have the need to be intubated. So wear my mask I will.

And people who mention they feel like they are suffocating wearing them makes me wonder what type of masks you're wearing as I do not feel like I'm suffocating in my N95. It's just not fun wearing one, nor is it very attractive, and definitely doesn't go with my outfits! And I'm one that used to match my coffee cup for my morning Starbucks to my outfit (pre-covid), so ya know I'm not liking the 2 ugly blue rubber bands around the back of my head! :(

But I figure the mask is more attractive than me in a coffin or a hospital bed so.... But I have to admit, it's going on the 5th year and this is getting tiresome. :(
Where I live COVID is a thing of the past, and nobody even mentions it any more.
(Except some Media)

What's more - people react aggressively if somebody starts talking about it :)

Life goes on.
Other calamities are emerging.

Last edited:
Where I live COVID is a thing of the past, and nobody even mentions it any more.
(Except some Media)

What's more - people react aggressively if somebody starts talking about it :)

Life goes on.
Other calamities are emerging.
Respectfully, it is not correct that Covid is a thing of the past in Europe, or anywhere. People WANT IT to be a thing of the past, hence their aggressive reactions to it. :( But ignoring something doesn't mean it's not there, it just means it's being ignored.

I have always had an aversion to people I barely know, hugging me, or kissing me. Perhaps, it is a cultural thing. People in the mountain west, don't "hug" on anyone. Everyone respects personal space.

Then, you go to the south, or even worse, Puerto Rico, Everyone hugs and kisses Everyone. I had a coworker from Puerto Rico, who made it her mission to hug and kiss me every day.

Respectfully, it is not correct that Covid is a thing of the past in Europe, or anywhere. People WANT IT to be a thing of the past, hence their aggressive reactions to it. :( But ignoring something doesn't mean it's not there, it just means it's being ignored.

What can I say?
That's how it is.
Shrug.

I had 1 vaccine (as a teacher I was obliged to take it)
and 2 boosters.

But not any more.
I'm done.

I think I had COVID two years ago during Christmas -
I had the same symptoms as after vaccine effects.
I didn't go to the doctor and didn't test.
It lasted 2/3 days and I'm fine.

There is no escape from viruses.
Epidemics always were/are/will be.

Last edited:
I mostly wear 3M Auras, which don't stick way out like the duckbill ones, but also don't press right up against my mouth, so they are pretty comfortable.

I wear them many times, though, and after the first few wears it does feel like it's harder to keep an airtight seal around my nose. So maybe I should find a better fitting style.

But with it not flat against my face, it doesn't feel suffocating to me except in the heat of summer. Maybe for people in warm climates this is a bigger problem and better mask designs are needed. My summers are short and I can arrange my life to minimize indoor activities in the heat to a large extent.

I try to have most of my public social interactions be outdoors, in which case I don't feel the need to mask (I would if it was a crowded event but I don't do crowded events anyway). Indoors I will skip the mask IF I can get in/out in just a few moments AND if I know there are only a very few people inside. Otherwise the mask goes on, and *always* when inside medical facilities.

I do hope that better prevention and treatment appears soon, especially for longterm covid effects. Only then will I feel ok not masking at all except perhaps when I am sick or around a known sick person.

Sadly, I suspect that in about 5-10 years there will be a large portion of people dealing with health issues that came directly or indirectly from covid, and those folks may at that time lament that they didn't take stronger precautions before catching it (or before having multiple infections).

I don't know about anyone else but I am finding aging to be challenging enough as it is, I definitely don't want any additional issues I can avoid simply by masking.

I do hope that better prevention and treatment appears soon, especially for longterm covid effects. Only then will I feel ok not masking at all except perhaps when I am sick or around a known sick person.

Sadly, I suspect that in about 5-10 years there will be a large portion of people dealing with health issues that came directly or indirectly from covid, and those folks may at that time lament that they didn't take stronger precautions before catching it (or before having multiple infections).

I don't know about anyone else but I am finding aging to be challenging enough as it is, I definitely don't want any additional issues I can avoid simply by masking.
Shortened and bolding by me for focus.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!! What I fear is that our medical facilities will be clogged with all those people so those that don't even have a covid related issue can't get a bed/room, or an appointment that isn't way the heck out on the calendar. Either that or you just get ignored thinking your symptoms are covid and will go away on its own. :(

I had that experience early on (mid 2022) and it was so frustrating. I had a fever and a cough that lasted for days. I called my Dr's office to be seen, explaining to the gal on the phone that there was likely no chance it was Covid, and why (Can't catch it if you pretty much never leave the house and are never around people without a well fitted N95). They never called me back and I found out I was flagged as having Covid due to my fever and cough. I guess they are told "If it sounds like Covid symptoms, it likely IS Covid and will go away on it's own, so no appointment needs to be made".

I actually had a URI (fever) and "mild developing pneumonia" (cough). I had to take myself to Urgent care to actually be seen. By this time we're on Day 9. I went to 2 Urgent Care's because the Dr at the first one wouldn't hear me out (why there was likely no chance I had Covid). To him, EVERYONE either has Covid, or HAD Covid, so now has long Covid. His advise? The fever will break on its own. I could have died from sepsus.

So if our systems get clogged with all those with long-term Covid and/or those developing other medical issues because they once (or more often) had it, that leaves a huge gap in care for those that need medical attention that isn't even Covid related. :( And I fear it's only going to get worse. Much, much worse, and that scares the bejesus out of me. :(

Untreated urinary tract infections may spread to the kidney, causing more pain and illness. It can also cause sepsis. The term urosepsis describes sepsis caused by a UTI. Sepsis, which was often called blood poisoning, is the body's life-threatening response to infection.

I don't mind shaking hands in professional settings, and it is rare, usually only if a new person is hired or visits campus, most conferences now are online, done virtually.
I'm pretty good at handwashing and using hand sanitizer after each time I touch something that is commonly touched by others (door handles, grocery store carts, etc.) and shaking hands.

Fortunately we don't have any huggers and kissers here these days where I am in the mid-West, at least that I have to interact with.

I always thought shaking hands was a silly ritual. Along with people saying, “How do you do?” Lol.

Yet my parents taught us back in the 70s that was the proper way to greet adults. Even back then I wondered whoever invented such silly customs.

I still wear a mask in certain public situations. I'm comfortable with the K95 mask and keep several in my car. Recently had jury duty and used the mask, in a room of 500 people sitting for hours. Same with flying. Those planes are so crowded, I would dream of not masking up. Lately, there's something going around in our area, schools closing, lots of people coughing in public. Why get sick if you can avoid it?

I'm also being careful about using hand sanitizer frequently when out shopping. I got a bad stomach flu twice in one month this summer and I blame shopping carts and eating out.

Shortened and bolding by me for focus.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!! What I fear is that our medical facilities will be clogged with all those people so those that don't even have a covid related issue can't get a bed/room, or an appointment that isn't way the heck out on the calendar. Either that or you just get ignored thinking your symptoms are covid and will go away on its own. :(

I had that experience early on (mid 2022) and it was so frustrating. I had a fever and a cough that lasted for days. I called my Dr's office to be seen, explaining to the gal on the phone that there was likely no chance it was Covid, and why (Can't catch it if you pretty much never leave the house and are never around people without a well fitted N95). They never called me back and I found out I was flagged as having Covid due to my fever and cough. I guess they are told "If it sounds like Covid symptoms, it likely IS Covid and will go away on it's own, so no appointment needs to be made".

I actually had a URI (fever) and "mild developing pneumonia" (cough). I had to take myself to Urgent care to actually be seen. By this time we're on Day 9. I went to 2 Urgent Care's because the Dr at the first one wouldn't hear me out (why there was likely no chance I had Covid). To him, EVERYONE either has Covid, or HAD Covid, so now has long Covid. His advise? The fever will break on its own. I could have died from sepsus.

So if our systems get clogged with all those with long-term Covid and/or those developing other medical issues because they once (or more often) had it, that leaves a huge gap in care for those that need medical attention that isn't even Covid related. :( And I fear it's only going to get worse. Much, much worse, and that scares the bejesus out of me. :(

Untreated urinary tract infections may spread to the kidney, causing more pain and illness. It can also cause sepsis. The term urosepsis describes sepsis caused by a UTI. Sepsis, which was often called blood poisoning, is the body's life-threatening response to infection.

In 2017 I went to the ER with a very fast heart rate- was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and admitted. During that admission they found out I had a UTI ( I didn't know I had it- no symptoms at all- and I had sepsis. I was stunned- treated with IV antibiotics and sent home after 5 days. Untreated UTIs are very dangerous. Since then I have had UTIs, but with symptoms so I knew I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay