Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
LONDON — Ventilators in short supply. Intensive care beds already overflowing. Some health workers buying their own face masks or hoods. And if cases of the deadly coronavirus surge in anything like the numbers some experts have predicted, doctors say they would have to consider denying lifesaving care to the frailest patients to prioritize those with better chances of surviving.

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity....9/200214-VentilatorAvailability-factsheet.pdf

I was raised to have a stocked pantry so that when money is tight- or a disaster strikes - family can be fed - all the staples of course but I’ve enjoyed reading the unusual staples like sweet potatoes (make awesome baked fries with sea salt) and radishes. We always have the 10lb bag of rice from Aldi and jasmine / brown as well - potato’s like many have mentioned and canned goods - I do not have huge amounts of anything and don’t plan on buying anything extra at this point

When my mom passed away it took 17 of us to take boxes of pantry food home. She had everything she needed to live for 2 years on the farm if needed. Stocked pantry is a thing from people who lived off the land at some point. They're always afraid of an early frost.

Colorado is offering it's first drive through testing. You need a doctor's order and then the test is done.
Colorado's first drive-up COVID-19 testing facility opens in Denver, is free of charge
From link:

Though the state says it hopes to expand criteria to anyone with flu-like symptoms, current criteria include:

· People have fever or symptoms of a lower respiratory illness and have been in contact with someone confirmed to have the virus within 14 days of the onset of symptoms.
· People have fever or symptoms of a lower respiratory illness, have had other diagnoses ruled out, and recently traveled to an area with high infection rates within 14 days of becoming symptomatic.
· People have a severe acute respiratory illness, such as pneumonia, that requires hospitalization and has no other explained diagnosis.

(also 160 tests were used today at the drive thru, so CO has access to tests)

I agree @LaborDayRN . Dr Sanjay Gupta just had Don Lemon read off of his phone the the number of coronavirus tests done today. CDC testing today is zero and a total of 8 were performed by other public health agencies across the country.
Are you serious?? :eek::eek:

I’m totally triggered. I can’t take the testing screw up.... need to go find a paper bag to breathe into...

Italy was complacent, just like much of North America.

Bat soup diseases don't happen in America.

It was said a long time ago that bat soup is not a popular dish in China...the video of bat soup was taken in Palau, not in China.

You don't have to eat an animal for a zoonotic disease to turn up in humans. There could have been a bat colony in a fruit tree and then the people picked the fruit and got infected from bat saliva or feces that was on the fruit, or the leaves of the tree.

The bat feces could have infected a trough of pig food and got into the pig's snout and from there the pig infected the person in the abattoir or the butcher.

How many animals in the world live in fairly close contact with humans and carry viruses? Sometimes those viruses are going to spillover into humans and then spread human-to-human. That's how many infectious diseases have come about, and it's not always been from China, and it's not always from there even now. Zika is a recent outbreak one that didn't originate in China.

The swine flu might not have turned into SARS or even Covid-19, but that originated in farmed animals that were going to be eaten. Some people think it's disgusting to eat pigs. Even though I'm not vegetarian I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between eating a bat and eating a pig or a chicken other than culture and the history of that culture. Maybe if we'd had a massive famine in the fairly recent past we'd be a bit more flexible in what animals we eat.

For a lot of people in the UK, they don't eat deer. But a lot of people in the US consider it totally normal to go out shooting and bring a deer home to put in the freezer.

PS I will admit that when I was little I was repulsed to see two dead bunny wabbits hanging in our neighbour's porch that were destined to become bunny stew :(

I agree @LaborDayRN . Dr Sanjay Gupta just had Don Lemon read off of his phone the the number of coronavirus tests done today. CDC testing today is zero and a total of 8 were performed by other public health agencies across the country.
Ok, my paper bag is not helping.

Is there a link to this? I think I’m going to have to read it with my own eyes because Mama Mia I hope this is not true.

ita and if a hypochondriac gets a Negative test result but should not have been tested, he’s likely to spread the virus, assuming he was prematurely tested, before incubation concluded.
I bet a lot of people are in their recliner assuming they have the flu but have novel C.
Where does testing end? If I’m tested tomorrow & I’m negative but Saturday I’m coughing, do I get tested again? Or? Theoretically one could get tested on Monday and contract the virus Tuesday.
But we have to start somewhere. Otherwise we should never test for anything that could later be acquired.

What’s important- critical- right now at this stage the US is in, is identifying as many cases that we possibly can as quickly as we can so that those positive-testing people can go into quarantine. We need to blunt the spread.

MOO.

You might want it to be a rhetorical question, but I'm not sure why?

The reason is that the flu figures are for full seasons. The current Covid-19 figures are not for a full season. We need to see this for a few seasons before we can make direct comparisons.

Right now hospitals in Italy are struggling more than they would in their seasonal flu outbreaks. Let's hope that isn't a sign of things to come in other countries including our own, wherever we are.

But let us also be aware that it could be very hard decisions that keep it from happening where we are.

I thought, watching President Trump's address to the nation that he made it sound potentially very serious. Potentially more serious than your average yearly flu epidemic.

Does he normally make those kind of addresses to the nation for yearly flu outbreaks? What do you think has provided the impetus for him to do that this time? The US doesn't usually stop travel from Europe for a seasonal flu outbreak? Is this something that might happen every flu season going forward?
With all due respect, this pandemic is NOT the flu virus. Italy has a total population of 60 million people. The U.S. has a population of 327 million.
You might want it to be a rhetorical question, but I'm not sure why?

The reason is that the flu figures are for full seasons. The current Covid-19 figures are not for a full season. We need to see this for a few seasons before we can make direct comparisons.

Right now hospitals in Italy are struggling more than they would in their seasonal flu outbreaks. Let's hope that isn't a sign of things to come in other countries including our own, wherever we are.

But let us also be aware that it could be very hard decisions that keep it from happening where we are.

I thought, watching President Trump's address to the nation that he made it sound potentially very serious. Potentially more serious than your average yearly flu epidemic.

Does he normally make those kind of addresses to the nation for yearly flu outbreaks? What do you think has provided the impetus for him to do that this time? The US doesn't usually stop travel from Europe for a seasonal flu outbreak? Is this something that might happen every flu season going forward?

This isn't a yearly flu outbreak. It is a much more serious outbreak for which there is no vaccine. President Trump has never made an annual address about an annual flu outbreak with no known flu vaccine that I am aware.

JMO

Last edited:
I don't know, I think Italy's outbreak seems very similar to the ones in Hubei and South Korea?

I am concerned about a country like the US as so many people have things like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, copd, cancer, overweight, obese. I really hope I'm wrong in being concerned about this, but I am concerned about it. There are less developed nations who have lower rates of diabetes, hypertension, etc. But they might not have such an extensive healthcare system as most Western nations.

I have been hearing that healthcare/hospitals are very good in Italy? I think they would be in all 'Western' nations.

BBM. Link, please. Thanks.

What the #@**???
From looking at the CDC's website, it appears that the figures for testing #'s for Mar. 10 ( and a few recent days) are simply pending and not all in yet. It looks like more quite disingenous "reporting", to me.

NBA cancelled. NHL to make decision soon. Spring training NOT cancelled. Baseball season a go? March Madness, only participants, no fans. NCAA wrestling championships no fans.

All players use locker rooms. All fans sit close. Cripes. Sports venues can’t even agree. How can we, as a country, figure out how to contain this virus!

It's not because of the country, it is because of the virus.
You seem not to be able to make this distinction.
I do believe we can certainly place plenty of blame on the Chinese Communist Party leadership for the virus spread, and I believe that country's citizens and much of the world community can, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288