Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

AnnaGrace, agilbe, WideOpen and 10 others like this.

2. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Awww, sorry for your losses.
    I think my Aussie dog wishes what ever the hell is going on would end, not only am I brushing her non stop, she’s in dire need of a car ride, lol.

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of man.

3. afitzy

afitzy STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES!

Information and Guidance about Global Travel on Cruise Ships, Including River Cruises, due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

HAN Archive - 00430 | Health Alert Network (HAN)

Distributed via the CDC Health Alert Network
    March 15, 2020, 5:45 PM ET
    Updated: March 17, 2020, 12:10 PM ET
    CDCHAN-00430

Summary
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends all persons defer any travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide because of the increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission onboard ships. Deferring travel is especially important for older adults and all people with serious chronic medical conditions (such as heart disease, diabetes or lung disease), because of their increased risk for severe disease. This health update provides information to clinicians and state and local health departments about the current coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation and the risks associated with travel on cruise ships, including river cruises.

Background
    Cruise ship passengers, including those who take river cruises, are at increased risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In the past month, there have been reports of outbreaks of COVID-19 among passengers and crew on cruises. Recent examples include 696 cases and 8 deaths on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, 28 cases on the Grand Princess cruise ship in the United States, and at least 60 cases in 15 states associated with multiple Nile River voyages in Egypt as of March 14, 2020. Illness onset occurred both onboard ships and after passengers returned to the United States. The proximity of passengers and crew on small ships and boats traveling on rivers may result in an even higher number of COVID-19 infections.

Recommendations for Clinicians
    Ask all patients about their planned or recent cruise ship travel, including river cruises.

1. Pre-travel advice
      1. Advise patients to defer all cruise ship travel, including river cruises, worldwide.
      2. Explain that their return travel to the United States may be impacted, and formal quarantine procedures may be implemented if confirmed cases are identified on board.
      3. Explain that appropriate medical care or medical evacuation may not be available internationally.
      4. Explain that some countries may refuse docking or disembarkation if there are known or suspected cases on board.
      5. For patients who still intend to cruise, advise them to
        1. Stay in their cabin and notify the onboard medical center immediately if they get sick with fever, new or worsening cough, or trouble breathing during their cruise.
        2. Stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, practice social distancing, and monitor their health both during travel and after they return. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others, when possible.
    2. Post-travel management
      1. Tell patients to follow CDC’s guidance on steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html) if they develop acute febrile or respiratory illness after travel.
      2. Implement recommended infection prevention and control practices (Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)) if you suspect a patient has COVID-19.
      3. Immediately notify the local health department (https://www.naccho.org/membership/lhd-directoryexternal icon) if a patient meets clinical and epidemiologic criteria for a person under investigation (PUI) (Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)) for COVID-19 and test as appropriate.
    Recommendations for State and Local Health Departments
    Check The Epidemic Information Exchange (Epi-X) notification system for information on COVID-19 cases on cruise ships and river cruises. In accordance with the Level 3 travel warning (COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel - Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC) for cruise ships, cruise travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.

For More Information
    State and local health departments can contact CDC’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 770-488-7100 for assistance with obtaining, storing, and shipping appropriate specimens to CDC for testing, including after hours, weekends, or holidays.

agilbe, WideOpen, kodi and 6 others like this.
  4. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

Well okay then....

ISIS tells terrorists not to travel to Europe amid Coronavirus outbreak: cmplx.co/m9KNrq0

Complex on Twitter

5. margarita25

margarita25 I like taking naps with my dog

6. margarita25

Show me the money!

“The Trump administration will seek to send cash payments directly to Americans.
    As the growing economic toll of the coronavirus became clearer,the White House said Tuesday that it supported the idea of sending cash payments directly to Americans.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that the administration is talking to Congress about sending checks to Americans over the next two weeks to cushion the economic blow of the pandemic. “The president has instructed me we have to do this now,” he said at a briefing.”

NoSI, Anirtak, CarmelEyesD and 17 others like this.
  7. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

8. FrostOwl

FrostOwl -

Most likely the number of infections in China (as well as other countries) are of those who were diagnosed with the virus, no-one knows how many had/has the virus, and not been in contact with the health care system. For example, Sweden have 1167 confirmed cases, but we can't know if the real number of cases is 10, 50 or 100 times higher, as many have very mild symptoms.

What if..., Anirtak, agilbe and 10 others like this.
  9. margarita25

10. FlossyMay

FlossyMay Well-Known Member

11. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Godspeed, STAY AT HOME. Be connected when isolated

COCA call is starting now and is LIVE. (CDC call in for clinicians ... today's subject is long term health care facilities. ).. for those of us that prefer to listen to scientists vs. others. iykwim

CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity - COCA

You will have to scroll down to find the live feed, as I tried to do the live and was concerned as it looked like it was directing to my personal feed.

ETA already learning new stuff! Reason not to do steroids as it enhances viral replication... more than that is new. Highly suggest for those that want more science, and I'm going to go back to listen to the two last week as this doctor/CDC call is telling stuff that I've never heard. MOO

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Anirtak, agilbe, byo and 5 others like this.
  12. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

13. margarita25

““It’s bad,” President Trump conceded, as financial markets tanked and economists warned of a steep recession that might already be underway.

We are at war,” President Emmanuel Macron of France told his people.

The enemy is invisible and insidious, gathering strength from the bonds of human connection. So public health officials were asking people the world over to sever those ties.

While nations, states and localities offered differing restrictions with varying degrees of enforcement, the message was coalescing around a simple if daunting challenge: Keep your distance.”

Coronavirus Live Updates: White House Seeks $850 Billion Stimulus and Urges Sending Checks to Americans Within 2 Weeks

14. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

When will large manufacturing plants be forced to close?

Anirtak, cass523, Tadpole12 and 2 others like this.
  15. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Scientists map how immune system fights virus

"This [discovery] is important because it is the first time where we are really understanding how our immune system fights novel coronavirus," said study co-author Prof Katherine Kedzierska.

The research by Melbourne's Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity has been praised by other experts, with one calling it "a breakthrough".

16. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

YESTERDAY HE RAN FROM IT....GLAD HE GOT SOME COURAGE...MUST HAVE SEEN THE WIZARD...lol

#BREAKING: @GovRonDeSantis orders ALL Florida bars and nightclubs will be CLOSED for 30 days starting today at 5PM - all to stop the spread of #COVID19 #Coronavirus @10NewsWTSP

Ryan Bass on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

17. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

If there's a place for it, I've thought small campers would work in these situations.

charminglane, WideOpen, byo and 14 others like this.
  18. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

I got an email from Bath and Body last night. It said that they were going to use their store supply of everything for online sales. Just IMO because I don't remember the exact wording.

cass523, afitzy, Tadpole12 and 6 others like this.
  19. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

Depending on location probably soon. Don't most manufacturing plants use robots???

20. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.