Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I guess it helps to live with a psychologist. I usually don't want him in my business.

My gym and yoga studio have claimed they will be streaming classes soon. That's a plus.

@margarita25 breathe...

2. Shelby1

Shelby1 Cancer Sucks

Sigh. Times are really changing.

I was going to use some Bailey's to make a dessert for tonight with. I just now thought "WTH??? I'm not using that for cooking! Only drinking!".

SuziQ, x_files, charminglane and 22 others like this.
  3. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

I do believe it is a state-by-state situation. An excellent example of a state which was not prepared for a disaster was Louisiana during Katrina and the state KNEW some of those levees were precarious at best. States which were not impacted jumped in to assist. Nebraska sent our national guard, utility trucks, volunteers and accepted evacuees, both people and pets. I anticipate similar sharing will be happening with this pandemic. So far, no one who has been isolated or hospitalized here has died. None are in the Med Center's ICU. I'm betting we will be sharing supplies if we are not already doing so. Omaha has two medical schools/teaching hospitals. The Universities should deploy those students and residents to relieve exhausted health care personnel.

One thing that IS happening here is that younger folks in their 20s and 30s aren't abiding the social separation and distance edicts. I wonder if too much emphasis has been placed on the risks to us old codgers and now younger people think their age gives them an invisible shield of immunity.

JMO

Lynetta, StarrChance, 303gmf and 9 others like this.
  4. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can obliterate that trend by undertaking far more aggressive testing than that are done now and isolating those infected as quickly as possible.
    Shelter in place without even more aggressive testing won't get the job done because those infected need to be identified as soon as possible, like yesterday, jmo, imo.

303gmf, cody22, Gardener1850 and 4 others like this.
  5. K.jill

K.jill Atlanta, GA

Ohhh no!

sallye818, cody22, zecats and 6 others like this.
  6. formerjerseygirl

formerjerseygirl Well-Known Member

7. gngr~snap

gngr~snap Verified Pediatric Nurse Georgia

It's spreading like wildfire because no one believed it was true when it started.
    Even the WalMart manager/employee came to work sick and 911 had to be called when he dropped.
    Dumb.
    Should have stayed home!
    So, everyone who ambushed WalMart to stock up may have been exposed and have spread it through the community already, most likely!
    This was Sunday night @ 8:30
    Moo Screenshot_20200316-194441_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200316-194441_Facebook.jpg

Attached Files:

8. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the heroes of this world are the doctors, nurses and scientists battling this virus. And the teachers and shop workers and truck drivers and everyone who works so damn hard to keep the world going.

It would be one hell of an arrogant and deluded country to think they are the heroes in any of this global crisis.

9. astheworldfallsdown

astheworldfallsdown Well-Known Member

Cabinet approves emergency Covid-19 legislation ahead of Thursday's Dáil sitting

(Ireland)

THE CABINET HAS approved emergency legislation to support the national response to the COVID-19 crisis.

The legislation, which was approved at an incorporeal meeting of ministers and the Taoiseach, puts on a legal footing the enhanced income supports for people who are diagnosed with, or required to self-isolate due to Covid-19.

The approval of the new law comes after Leo Varadkar and President Michael D Higgins met this afternoon to discuss the State’s efforts to combat the coronavirus.

They spoke about the huge challenge facing the nation and their confidence that the Irish people will pull through.

The new legislation, which will go before the Dáil on Thursday, also provides for changes to remove the waiting period for payment of Jobseekers Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance in these circumstances.

Skigh, Gardener1850, dotr and 4 others like this.
  10. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I applied for unemployment yesterday. Online (NJ) and it's already up with the amount weekly and total. Will get first payment next week (direct deposit).

I'm familiar with the process because I apply every summer when sub jobs stop (seasonal unemployment is the category). Now there is a reason listed on the drop down menu for CV - either illness related of job loss related.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

4:10 p.m.: 4 Brooklyn Nets players test positive
    Four Brooklyn Nets players have tested positive for coronavirus and only one of the four is showing symptoms, according to a statement from the team.

All four players are isolated, the team said.

Coronavirus live updates: NYC mayor proposes shelter-in-place, state says no

4:03 p.m.: NYC mayor proposes shelter-in-place, state says no
    In New York City -- where there are 814 confirmed COVID-19 cases -- a shelter-in-place order has not been ruled out as an option, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.

12. FlossyMay

FlossyMay Well-Known Member

13. astheworldfallsdown

'Highly possibly' schools could shut within days

Nicola Sturgeon has said that Scotland could see nationwide school closures within days.

The first minister appeared on Reporting Scotland before talks with Education Secretary John Swinney on measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus.

She said: "It is highly possible we will see a more blanket approach to school closures in the coming days."

It comes after a second person died in Scotland after becoming infected.

At present, schools in Scotland remain open, though attendance is reported to be low in some areas and most activities, clubs and trips have been cancelled.

Skigh, Lynetta, Quill and 5 others like this.
  14. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Stay Home, Save Lives

I'm so glad you & your DH's health situation hasn't gotten any worse. Here's hoping and praying that you are on the road to recovery!

Lynetta, kimpage, sallye818 and 12 others like this.
  15. justbeachy

justbeachy Well-Known Member

Aqua, Lynetta, beatrixpotter and 13 others like this.
  16. pugmom

pugmom Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing this. Passing it along to my parents right now who couldn't even get bread, milk, and eggs a few days ago.

beatrixpotter, Sundog, Cubby and 7 others like this.
  17. astheworldfallsdown

Taoiseach to broadcast to country on Covid-19 at 9pm

(Ireland)

The Taoiseach is to make a rare, Ministerial Broadcast, to the country at 9pm.

After a video-conference with European Heads of Government this afternoon, and a tele-conference with the Cabinet to agree emergency Covid-19 legislation this evening, Leo Varadkar tweeted "This is a Patrick's Day like no other. We cannot stop the virus, but we can push it back. We will always put your life and your health first. In future, let them say: when things were at their worst, we were at our best."

The broadcast is being made under Section 112 of the Broadcast Act, which allows the Government broadcasting time for announcements in the event of a major emergency.

18. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

I bought a litre for £12 / $14 in the supermarket the other day, and think I should probably have got two

Shelby1, dotr, gregjrichards and 2 others like this.
  19. drama_farmer

drama_farmer Central Kentucky (Bluegrass)

If we have a dedicated COVID 19 FORUM, I want to see a thread that is dedicated to thanking Henry for all of the very important work he has been doing. Seriously. IMO

20. justbeachy

justbeachy Well-Known Member

Finally!

WideOpen, Really?, Cubby and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.