Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

UK

Glastonbury festival, which was due to celebrate its 50th anniversary year in 2020 with headliners including Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar, has been cancelled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The festival confirmed via Twitter on Wednesday that the event, which was set to take place from 24-28 June at its usual home of Worthy Farm in Somerset, was off “following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty – this is now our only viable option”.

Glastonbury 2020: festival postponed due to coronavirus

cass523, MaryG12, Skigh and 4 others like this.

2. MamaOV

MamaOV let justice roll down like waters

See margarita25's post. I think she's correct (and that it was addressed in at least some of the articles), Facebook was initially trying to contain/prevent the spread of misinformation and set up algorithms to catch/flag certain types of posts/info etc.

LeeAnnB, SkylarSid, Luckyzmom and 2 others like this.
  3. Oddsocks

Oddsocks Well-Known Member

It’s absolutely insane. I drove nearly 100km to my friends’ house today to give her some rolls of toilet paper because she has been trying to buy them for almost two weeks

4. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

WORLD Coronavirus timeline:
    - January 19: 100 cases
    - January 24: 1,000 cases
    - January 28: 5,000 cases
    - February 12: 50,000 cases
    - March 6: 100,000 cases
    - March 14: 150,000 cases
    - March 18: 200,000 cases
    BNO Newsroom on Twitter
    That would put us at March 26 for 300,000 IMO

5. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

You don’t have to agree with me. I have previously linked numerous articles & many from our state website. Our public health has suggested kids go to the parks, ride bikes, walk, etc. And to avoid having children around their grandparents or anyone with compromised health. I think the schools are closed, as well as our local library to shelter people from kids. Moo based on reading thousands of articles.
    Obviously animals need to eat. It’d be a shame for a herd of 1,000 to die, would it not? They are a food source.
    Children are transmitting the virus.
    I am not mom bashing, I’m all for mom shopping. I wish everyone would follow the guidelines.
    To answer your question, I’m 100% serious. If people refuse to follow the established guidelines this will only propagate.
    moo moo moo

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    LeeAnnB, abr, Wyle_E_Coyote and 8 others like this.
  6. margarita25

margarita25 Everything is JMO

Some additions have been made to this article previously posted:

Colorado workers affected by COVID-19 closures eligible for assistance

It refers to Colorado, but some of you may find it of interest anyway as some food for thought. If so, check your own State for similar information.

There is a lot at the link so I invite you to read the full story / here are a few quick snippets as I get in robot mode for this morning’s MSM:

“There are three criteria for unemployment: the employee must be able and available to seek new work and actively seeking employment.

“Those three circumstances make this very unusual if you are in a quarantine situation where you’re not able to look for work nor do you really need to look for work because there’s a chance you’ll be returning,” said Haavind.

That’s why the labor department is looking at options to possibly waive the requirement for those who are unemployed to search for work.

“Some of the requirements around unemployment right now may not work with these scenarios that again we’ve never seen,” Haavind said.

In order to make that change, the labor department would need to pass an emergency rule to overlook the work requirement. Last week, the agency passed an emergency rule to require some industries to offer paid sick leave for employees with flu-like symptoms while awaiting COVID-19 testing.

Filing for unemployment can happen online or over the phone. Colorado employees have access to 26 weeks of unemployment insurance available to them. Congress is currently looking at a potential additional 13 weeks of unemployment insurance.

The Family First Coronavirus Response Act would also help with SNAP benefits, among other things.

Traditionally, it takes between four and six weeks in a normal environment for a person who applies to be able to access the benefits. The agency is also looking at ways of speeding up those systems.

The labor department is holding off on issuing additional emergency rules, however, until Congress decides how it will proceed.

There is also information on other state-offered programs for those who are trying to make ends meet, such as rent assistance, through other human service organizations.”
    -much more at link

7. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

So, I got a bag of grass seed, dog food, lettuce & celery this morning at my WMT. They have nothing but condiments & meat. I chatted with the manager for a moment, he said his job is suddenly easy, all he says is “no, we don’t have that.” Of course he was joking. Possibly we will go to a designated time frame to do our shopping. Maybe by even/odd last SS digit, if things continue to be so dire.

LeeAnnB, momrids6, SugarQueen and 5 others like this.
  8. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Thank you, but I don't mod, I have enough stress in my life, my job is to keep the forums organized and clean, but to tell you the truth, I have been very consumed with what has been going on with coronavirus since mid-January (when my daughter flew home from southeast Asia) that I have neglected posting new cases, have no idea what is going on with other missing persons cases I've been following, I feel awful.

On that note, I haven't been around the past day or so because so many things have been happening at work.

First, I dropped my phone in a puddle yesterday morning getting out of the car coming into work, after I retraced my steps I found it. As such, a new phone will be coming on Saturday. So I'm phoneless during this crisis with both my daughters living out of state in New York and Florida. Luckily, they are sheltering in place and working from home, my daughter sent me a picture of her on the streets of New York City wearing a hat, surgical gloves, and an N95 mask. I love them.

As far as my (real) job is concerned, all work has just about stopped. Managers have left to keep the amount of people low in the office. Some support staff are left, others took work home and we are going to a skeleton crew. My company has decided to shut down for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. They just advised us to come in yesterday and today to wrap up everything we are working on. They are offering to pay us a full salary for the next 2 weeks. After that they will re-evaluate and if the situation is the same or worse, we will all have to file for unemployment.

Yesterday, I was told that a manager's daughter's boyfriend has the virus, the daughter has symptoms, and the manager was in contact with both. Did he self-isolate? NO! He walked into the office yesterday, freaked everyone out to the point where HR had to tell him to go home. He had been in my office, touching my files, he was all over everything the last 3 days. He was not happy, screaming how he shouldn't be forced to go home, he does not have any symptoms, this is all overblown by the media ... yada, yada, yada. How many other people are walking around thinking the same? Makes me shudder.

I've never had 2 weeks off in a row (even for a vacation). My husband is disabled and more of a homebody, so I don't have to worry about him. The two of us have decided we are going to take a ride to the beach each day, bring the dog, and take a walk, just to get out of the house until isolation is mandatory. We thought that would be good to do, no worries about running into other people at this time of year.

I just feel so defeated. I cry every day, angry that no one in governmental authority, or friends, family, my boss, took this seriously. I feel so bad, tried to warn people 2 months ago.

I also cry whenever I hear about the "old people". I want to donate my time and even my own money to help whoever is out there, alone, scared, and/or unable to leave home - to help them in whatever way I can. Does anyone know of any place I can reach out to? Sometimes, I thank God that my parents have since passed, I don't have to worry about their health or whether or not they have eaten, if they have enough food. Geez, I'm crying again.

In the meantime, for the next 2 weeks or so, I'll be in and out here. I have no clue what went on yesterday in the world, other than a possible $1,000 each from the government, taxes are delayed 90 days, and that they were threatening to shut down NYC and Hoboken, NJ.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for letting me "talk" it out here.

P.S. I just saw an email from work, sent at 11:45pm LAST NIGHT that a tenant on the 20th-floor of 225 Liberty in NYC (our NY office in the Freedom Tower) has been confirmed with coronovirus and that NO ONE from our office is to report to work today until further notice.

Take care everyone.

libraryg, mspepper, LeeAnnB and 54 others like this.
  9. MamaOV

MamaOV let justice roll down like waters

Here are two of the links FB flagged as spam and blocked/removed:

States order bars and restaurants to close due to coronavirus

Coronavirus school closings: Ohio, Maryland shut all K-12 schools

I live in Maryland for goodness sake, and was just posting about our schools being closed statewide as soon as it happened. Especially since we were apparently only the 2nd US state to do this.

10. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Exactly as we are told hundreds of time daily.
    I noticed a police officer in our store this a.m., he wasn’t shopping, just observing.

tabitha111, WideOpen and SkylarSid like this.
  11. Henry2326

IT CAN BE DONE...

Interesting visit to the National University Hospital in Singapore - 1200 beds of which 120 are ICU beds and 120 are isolation beds, SARS-CoV-2 PCR test results within a few hours, 0% mortality from #COVID to date estee on Twitter

gitana1, Alice253, Sunny123 and 5 others like this.
  12. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

@JerseyGirl I’m glad your office is finally closing, I hope it’s not too late, after dealing with your coughing coworker.

13. Henry2326

14. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Speaking of toilet paper, my local WMT manager to,d. E all the locked toilet paper holders in the ladies room were broken & the TP of course stolen.

15. Henry2326

Some COVID-19 patients have 20-30% reduced lung function after recovery, according to Hong Kong doctors NowThis on Twitter

Lynetta, LeeAnnB, tabitha111 and 7 others like this.
  16. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

this happened at my wife's work as well, she works for the local council but apparently originally they didn't have locks on their internal toilets then when the toilet paper panic struck they lost 23 rolls from 2 toilets in 2 days

so they hired someone to come out and put locks on the toilet roll holders and within hours later someone had broke the locks off and stolen the toilet paper, destroying about $300 of work and cost from the council which comes out of peoples rates

she said had they asked at the front desk they would have given them a few rolls to get by, because they are there to help the community they are for service not profit

and yet people will still destroy things to steal 50 cents of toilet paper instead of simply asking for help

17. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

I think the US should consider the rule Italy has in place, only one family member in the store at a time. Moo
    I wonder if it might even be possible for the big box stores to lock up & only have pre ordered pick up. It would be so. much safer for everyone employed in the stores. They deserve to be safe.

Lynetta, LeeAnnB, tabitha111 and 17 others like this.
  18. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

@margarita25 I filed for unemployment benefits yesterday for my Mom, who was laid off in Las Vegas. Everything is closed in Vegas, no one can "look for work". I was wondering about this question.

I worked at unemployment insurance for a few years, after 9/11, it was craziness. We had extensions at that time. Constant work. When Mnuchin states unemployment rates could be at 20%, that is absolutely optimistic.

Lynetta, crhedBngr, Sunny123 and 4 others like this.
  19. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

I think the US should consider the rule Italy has in place, only one family member in the store at a time. Moo
    I wonder if it might even be possible for the big box stores to lock up & only have pre ordered pick up. It would be so. much safer for everyone employed in the stores. They deserve to be safe.
    Yes the locks were destroyed. All for two-ply.

20. Henry2326

JAPAN....different from the rest of the world....wonder why? Olympics maybe....

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan is only using a sixth of its capacity to test for the coronavirus even as it is increasing its ability to do so, government data shows, adding to concern that it is not doing enough to contain its outbreak.

Just because you have capacity, it doesn't mean that we need to use that capacity fully," health ministry official Yasuyuki Sahara told a news briefing on Tuesday. "It isn't necessary to carry out tests on these people who are just simply worried."

Japan uses just a fraction of its coronavirus testing capacity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.