Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a grocery experience except in the fleeting thought that I "might" stop in a store when I went out today.....didn't happen...

I dropped off a couple of bags of provisions on my son's porch this morning. His wife is at home working, she is a therapist and is doing all of her appointments online now (telemedicine) but son is still working in his shop he runs. He is doing contact less delivery now, they lock the doors, customers call in, then they fill the order and put it outside, they tell customer to go sit in their truck (mostly trucks and vans) and then get out and get the stuff after they go back inside. He loves it..lol...he runs a building contractor supply store - so its all contracts with companies, not the general public.

Was my first time driving in the car since last Friday. Saw people walking and jogging alone, saw one person walking with a mask on. Others walking dogs. A couple of ladies walking together but they seemed to be apart some distance between them.

I was seriously too chicken to stop anywhere...1) I dont really need anything and 2) I couldn't help but think that the store would have coughers that would freak me out, or any food places...the virus could be on cups or the wrapper or whatever. I'm just not going to chance it.

Got a huge Amazon order in today too...unpacked everything outside with gloves that I changed frequently, then I clorox wiped all the surfaces of the products and w the boxes over my fence until trash day.

Your post really made me think more about the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. I want to read up on that more. Then, someone else reminded me of when people had rationing during WW2. Hardship has taught people ways that stuck with them and helped them survive. Two pounds of sugar per person per month seems more than reasonable.

View attachment 239270

On a lighter note, your post told me how to make a grill cheese sandwich on an ironing board which might come in handy someday.
We just covered WW2 in the history class I teach. As I do every year, I showed them my mother's rationing book. When we went over some of the allowable amounts of stuff like sugar and flour, I had to remind the kids that there wasn't the packaged foods we have today. If you wanted something sweet, you had to produce it in your own kitchen, hence the need for so much sugar and flour.

Chuck Todd on Meet the Press Daily is addressing with the governor of Colorado the uneven quality of who is getting what from the federal government, the lack of universal standards for the tests, lack of standards in tracking the outbreaks, g0vernor says we need a "nationally coordinated" effort, and is criticizing the bail outs of big corporations instead of "people". MSNBC.

GEORGIA....AT LEAST CLOSE THD 2 CLUSTERS PLEASE....

"At this time I don't plan to issue a state wide mandatory quarantine," says @GovKemp #11alive #COVID19US #Covid_19
Hope Ford on Twitter

"We are certainly mindful of all our small businesses," says @GovKemp Application to provide economic relief for small businesses -> SBA to Provide Disaster Assistance Loans for Small Businesses Impacted by Coronavirus (COVID-19) | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov #11alive #COVID19US
Hope Ford on Twitter

Meanwhile in Georgia....
"At this time, I do not plan on forces businesses to close. As circumstances change, I will make the necessary decision," @GovKemp in reference to a state-wide mandate to close bars and restaurants. #11alive
Hope Ford on Twitter

That is fantastic. It is a glimmer of hope anyways.
If you already use it then you are lucky. But I am so afraid that people are going to go crazy with their doctors to get it... Should have been presented by medical professionals, or not at all yet...it is going to be crazy misinformation.

There are testing kits that appear to have been unreliable, with 47% false positives. That, to me, in and of itself, is the reason in the United States, the CDC developed their own tests. It was to ensure accuracy and reliability in results.

Coronavirus testing: WHO and CDC never discussed providing test kits to the US, global health agency says - CNN
Actually read the whole article.
"Regarding the test distributed by the World Health Organization, Birx said "I assume it is functional," according to the Times."
Coronavirus testing: WHO and CDC never discussed providing test kits to the US, global health agency says - CNN

Things were hoppin' at the local blood drive :) Sanitizer everywhere, beds and chairs spaced way out, and no more than 10 people that I could count in the room at a given time. Slow but steady stream of donors. Proud of my community, and even more so of the Red Cross staff. They were sweet as pie, despite seeming a little ragged. May they and their families stay safe and healthy.
I had a thought earlier about this......maybe they could ride around the neighborhoods......like th3 ice cream person......one person at a time......just an idea.

Even if medical equipment (esp ventilators) can be rushed to market, here's something to consider:
Are There Enough Skilled Medical Workers To Run Ventilators?

There are about 150,000 respiratory therapists. They, too, are often concentrated in large cities. The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics says we already need more - about 21% more - in the next several years just to care for the growing number of people, often elderly people, with chronic lung disease. In a pandemic, Kallstrom said retired therapists can be pulled back, students about to graduate from two- or four-year training can start.

Some therapists have proposed ways to modify a ventilator - a machine designed for one patient - to connect it to four. But Kallstrom's group studied that and says it's not safe. The best solution, that's what the nation is doing - social distancing, self-quarantine so that fewer people get infected at once and so those ventilators - and the staff to run them - are needed over a spread-out period of time

Italian Grandpa's Solution to the Toilet Paper Shortage
I love this man, watch lots of his videos.

You would've loved all my wise relatives that talked with that kind of accent. I do like the idea of cutting up the paper towels to "do your business", but … I'm not sure paper towels are recommended for our sewer systems? Do you think they might clog plumbing easier than toilet paper?

I had a thought earlier about this......maybe they could ride around the neighborhoods......like th3 ice cream person......one person at a time......just an idea.
I tried to book and was not able to online as per usual. . I thought they closed them all down. I’ll look again.

Just heard that the President is making available immediately anti malaria drugs. It may not work. But he's hopeful it does.

Who is our member that has been taking this?

I take it daily and have for years for RA.
Do you need frequent eye exams because of it?

I have a fiend who takes it for Lupus who says there are retinal damage issues possible with taking it. Maybe only for long term use. IMO

I'm supposed to have a yearly eye exam. I've been told by my eye doctor that issues are rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288