Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
First person to receive #coronavirus vaccine in the U.S. will get second (and final) inoculation on April 13. She is one of 45 healthy volunteers in the Moderna trial. By June we’ll know if the new jab is safe. But we won’t know if it’s effective. That will be a separate study.

Matt McCarthy on Twitter

June!!! Geez. Hopefully it is effective. June is Months and another season away.

I went out today for an emergency run, saw maybe 20 cars on the roads. Lots of people were walking in the neighborhood, but the streets were very quiet for a Saturday afternoon in a city of between 1 and 2 million. The shop keeper put on a fresh pair of gloves.

I started self-isolating 2 weeks ago, but was forced to go to work on Wednesday and Friday last week. Two people at meetings I attended have since reported minor cold symptoms. One person took vacation to avoid pressure to go to work. So far all is well. Sick people at work, but not in the team.

Keep in mind that fever fights illness. Controlling fever with coronavirus may not be the best option - mixed messaging again. My son knew to avoid ibuprofen for his "allergies". Chinese said early on to let fever run its course, but if fever doesn't fix it I suppose it's lights out.

Be very careful. Take shoes off in the garage and put mail in the garage for a couple of days. Don't use plastic bags from the supermarket - use paper or cloth bag for groceries.

Don't bring paper or cloth bags to the stores where I live - unless you are willing to have a conversation about when you last laundered them (and how). They are being banned from many stores here (California) because they are a known vector (several layers of plastic, can host virus for several hours, the rest of us don't know where your bags have been). Launder them and put them in one of those huge ziplocks and take them to the store (or just let the store give you a clean bag for 10 cents or whatever it is).

Plastic bags in the supermarket are better if single use than those reusable bags.

War on Plastic Takes a Back Seat in Coronavirus Crisis

Paper bags from home might be even better (last I checked, viral life on paper/cardboard was less than on woven plastic - and single use plastic was better than reused plastic from home).

I just cannot figure out why anyone would want to live like that. I guess I am lucky to have always had some acreage and privacy. I bet people that lived further apart would fare better.
These over populated high rent areas are too close for comfort for me. I need some elbow room.

They're just living on the cheap for now, expecting that it's only temporary. It is temporary because they come home. People who live on top of each other, like in China, Iran, Italy and much of the EU, don't really know much different.

I hope that less populated areas will have a natural slower increase in numbers - perhaps achievable if everyone takes this seriously and stays home.

I sure hope that people over 50, particularly those with any predisposing factors, choose wisely about their social lives for the next while. Probably best to assume everyone else is infected if you know highly social people who hang out with other highly social people.
Well, I am over 50. Turning 75 next month, and these days I am bogeying in the street to old time rock and roll during neighborhood Six- Feet-Apart-Happy-Hour.
P.S. I am not a highly social person.

Remember that saying "Stop the World, I want to get off" !
Well, that just happened for millions of people...
Be careful, what you wish for ;-)

Last edited:
I should have been working on my big project that is due on Monday. I decided it can go as is. It is usable but does have some issues that need to be addressed. I will write a statement itemizing the issues that are not resolved. I am too distracted by this virus. The one person that has it in my county lives on my street . We have a huge distance between houses but it is still scary. The big boss can mark the task complete. Like it even matters now that the world is shutting down. Basically two birds can be killed with one stone, the big boss can mark complete and I can mark complete with some issues that need to be addressed. This just makes me sick. I never deliver a product with known issues but then again I have never been in this situation before. It is not a life/death type of situation just a click off the list for the big boss.

You've got my full sympathy and support. It's okay for a project to be different than it would be, were we not all worried about this possible global catastrophe. I don't know anyone personally who has died, but when I read the about the exponential deaths in Italy (and New York), my heart hurts and my brain suffers.

I am trying to give myself little deadlines to get back on track with work.

Please do not stress yourself. I've started listening to music again, and am sort of making myself decompress at the end of the day. You want your good sleep and your immune system to be in peak form.

What difference does it make. Everyone had 3 months heads up - the world saw footage of children laid in body bags, 24/7 crematoriums, people locked into their homes, people dropping dead on the streets. What didn't we know? Would 3.5 months have made a difference. The WHO didn't declare a pandemic until it was everywhere. This is a global problem.

But that's what a pandemic is (up until them, it was either endemic or epidemic). They can't change the meanings of those words just because.

Yes, we knew quite some time ago. I knew, because I read science news daily and because it's within my broader field of study. I was worried. We didn't know what the death rates would be - or even that it was going to be all old people (such a relief, really - compared to when it seemed possible that infants and babies and toddlers might be equally susceptible).

Each of us reacted differently and most of our institutions reacted not at all. "The world" doesn't watch all this news, there are still tons of people who have no clue this is happening, even right here in California. It's we who want be helpers or leaders who must still try to do something to mitigate this disaster.

Yes, 3,5 months would have made a huge difference. In one month, I think California and other well-funded, well-informed states will be getting a grasp on this - but no one knows if we are capable of stopping it before we become Italy. The methods we use to keep the death rate lower, here in the US, need study and it's worrying that we didn't plan for data gathering.

It is a global problem, but it is one that divides by its nature, as we all need to eliminate pathways for the virus by...less contact.

And it's okay to take a different attitude. Some of us want to fix things and feel compulsive about it, others want to chill and go on with life as before. That's the way it is.

The looming question is whether Japan has dodged a bullet or is about to be hit. The government contends it has been aggressive in identifying clusters and containing the spread, which makes its overall and per capita number for infections among the lowest among developed economies. Critics argue Japan has been lax in testing, perhaps looking to keep the infection numbers low as it’s set to host the Olympics in Tokyo in July.
Japan was expecting a coronavirus explosion. Where is it? | The Japan Times

Coronavirus infections keep going up in Japan

Japan has reported 39 more infections with the new coronavirus, bringing the total to 1,054 as of midnight Sunday.

The figure, provided by the health ministry and local governments, includes 14 cases confirmed among people who returned from China's Hubei Province on chartered flights.
Coronavirus infections keep going up in Japan | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members