Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amidst all the news tracking, i want to add something for the lighter side to give us a smile. This is how an Oklahoma museum is handling the closure, it is such a nice idea in this hard times
Cowboy Museum Puts Their Head Of Security In Charge Of Their Twitter, And His Tweets Are Hilariously Wholesome

This kind of stuff helps me, while still doing my best in practising social distancing (but calling friends and family frequently ), working from home, supporting locals etc.
Literally LMAO with tears.
Hubby came running into room asking what the heck is so funny?
I am cracking up
I am also going to log into my twitter and "FOLLOW" him
I needed the laugh today.
""HashtagLaughter is good for the soul"" LOL

Bolsonaro urges Brazilians back to work, dismisses coronavirus 'hysteria'

Bolsonaro has faced increasing criticism for his cavalier attitude toward the virus, which he has dismissed as a "fantasy" and a "small flu" despite its infecting over 300,000 people worldwide and killing tens of thousands.

Makeshift Morgue Built at NYC’s Bellevue Hospital Ahead of COVID-19 Surge
Updated 4 hours ago

“Workers are building a makeshift morgue outside of a Manhattan hospital to deal with an anticipated surge of coronavirus victims in New York City in the coming weeks. Chilling photos from the construction site Wednesday showed rows of white tents being set up outside Bellevue Hospital.

The city medical examiner was building the makeshift morgue on the East Side in the face of mounting deaths, City Hall said. The measure, which has been used in the past during mass casualty events like 9/11, falls within the purview of the city emergency declaration that Mayor Bill de Blasio signed weeks ago, a spokesperson for the mayor's office said. Officials say they’re operating from a playbook developed to handle a surge in deaths from possible pandemic developed in 2008.”

GettyImages-1208219232-1.jpg

Workers build a makeshift morgue outside of Bellevue Hospital March 25 to handle an expected surge in Coronavirus victims. (Photo by Bryan R. Smith / AFP) (Photo by BRYAN R. SMITH/AFP via Getty Images)

GettyImages-1208221718-2.jpg

—-

NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing.

Bolsonaro has faced increasing criticism for his cavalier attitude toward the virus, which he has dismissed as a "fantasy" and a "small flu" despite its infecting over 300,000 people worldwide and killing tens of thousands.

He's not the first national leader to start with downplaying the problem. First there was China, and so it rolled.

“As of Wednesday, more than 30,800 cases had been confirmed in New York, an increase of more than 5,000 overnight. At least 285 people have died. The city, impaired by the density that makes it one of the world's most vibrant places, bears the brunt of the impact, with more than 17,850 cases across the five boroughs as of Wednesday morning. The mayor's office said the death toll had soared to 199, a 50 percent increase over the course of a day.”

Makeshift Morgue Built at NYC’s Bellevue Hospital Ahead of COVID-19 Surge

A friend I’m around 80% of the time stopped by on his Harley & took me for a spin. Felt great to have the sun & wind on me. We drove past WMT & Lowe’s. WMT must have bare shelves, Very few cars in the lot. Lowe’s lot was packed, I guess yard work & those honey do lists might get done.
ITA and is the reason we are avoiding Walmart. Way too many people for our comfort level.

JMO

Cuomo is to launch an anti-body test to identify who has recovered from coronavirus without knowing it so that young people can get back to work and 'restart' the economy
  • Scientists at Mt Sinai University in New York have created the first test in the US for detecting coronavirus antibodies in the blood
  • Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that New York is 'pursuing a new level' of testing for coronavirus
  • The state may run blood tests that indicate who has developed antibodies to coronavirus after being infected - even if they do not know they had it
  • Once people have antibodies to the virus, they have immunity to it and are likely protected for a 'significant' length of time
  • It is part of Cuomo's plan to restart the economy while protecting public health
  • He says both can be done at the same time if we act 'intelligently' about it
  • Despite his eagerness to get the tests done, he says he won't put any lives at risk for the sake of the economy

Cuomo Blasts ‘Terrible’ Fed Plan as Cases Soar to 30K; NJ Death Toll Breaks 24-Hour Record Again
Updated 26 mins ago

“”Gov. Andrew Cuomo blasted the feds' $2 trillion proposed economic relief package Wednesday, saying it would be "terrible" for New York, which faces an accelerating rate of infection that doubles case count every few days and an economic shortfall worsened by each day of response to the crisis.

"We have 15 times the problem of the next state. Every state will have a different apex with this virus. New York is first," Cuomo said Wednesday. The Senate plan, which still needs a vote before it goes to President Trump, would give New York $3.8 billion, a "drop in the bucket" compared with the up to $15 billion Cuomo says the state needs for the crisis. He's already spent $1 billion.

"How do you plug a $15 billion hole with $3.8 billion? You don't," Cuomo said. "The House bill would give us $17 billion. That's a dramatic difference."

The rapid infection spread has hastened the approach of the "apex" of the crisis in New York, Cuomo said. The wave, now more like a tsunami, could crash on the health care system in three weeks rather than 45 days -- and with life-saving supplies already heavily depleted, New York is increasingly desperate for resources to get through just the immediate future. Mayor Bill de Blasio has said he expects the crisis to be worse in April than in March, potentially even worse come May — and no one should get their hopes up that everything will be back to normal by Easter.

De Blasio also vented his frustration with the stimulus bill, saying in a Twitter thread that the bill is "nowhere close to what we need to fight this epidemic," and the city getting "$1 billion out of a $150 billion pot does not reflect reality."”

Intensive care nurse in her 20s 'kills herself' at King's College Hospital in London where eight coronavirus patients have died

Female nurse in her 20s 'kills herself at Kings College Hospital London' amid coronavirus crisis | Daily Mail Online

This is more terrible news. It is a big worry the number of health care workers, people who have been made unemployed, victims of domestic violence etc who are being pushed to breaking point from this crisis and are suicidal.

Horrible. Just horrible.

Wait - WHAT? Another nurse killed herself in Italy??

Please . . . enough.

When might it be safe to go for a blood test, or will tests be curb side?
Cuomo is to launch an anti-body test to identify who has recovered from coronavirus without knowing it so that young people can get back to work and 'restart' the economy
  • Scientists at Mt Sinai University in New York have created the first test in the US for detecting coronavirus antibodies in the blood
  • Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that New York is 'pursuing a new level' of testing for coronavirus
  • The state may run blood tests that indicate who has developed antibodies to coronavirus after being infected - even if they do not know they had it
  • Once people have antibodies to the virus, they have immunity to it and are likely protected for a 'significant' length of time
  • It is part of Cuomo's plan to restart the economy while protecting public health
  • He says both can be done at the same time if we act 'intelligently' about it
  • Despite his eagerness to get the tests done, he says he won't put any lives at risk for the sake of the economy

Entire senior home in New Jersey, 94 people, presumed to have coronavirus
March 25, 2020, 11:37 AM MDT

“An entire New Jersey nursing home is presumed to be infected with coronavirus, forcing everyone from the facility to be evacuated on Wednesday, officials said.

At least 24 of 94 residents and patients of St. Joseph’s Senior Home in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of Newark, have tested positive for coronavirus and the other 70 clients are also believed to have the virus, authorities said.”

Literally LMAO with tears.
Hubby came running into room asking what the heck is so funny?
I am cracking up
I am also going to log into my twitter and "FOLLOW" him
I needed the laugh today.
""HashtagLaughter is good for the soul"" LOL

It's awesome! I scrolled back and they used to get 20-30 likes per tweet and he's got them in the 7000 - 30,000 range.

TECHE.....Thank you. You said so well what I could not say. I was born in New Orleans (in 1941) and my family moved to Metairie (Jefferson Parish) when I was 10. I went to Nursing School in New Orleans. I am from one of those large families. We are so much more than Mardi Gras. I have not been
part of MG since grammar school. I suspected that MG was a possible reason for the outbreak and said so in a post on WS on MG day.....2/25/20.
I may just need to cut my WS reading time for a while, but I love that you
were there today.....right at the time I needed it. Lato

My son's a senior at Loyola, and I've completely fallen in love with your beautiful state over the past 4 years and consider it my second home. So much so, that I even started going to a church here in Maryland where two pastors (including the senior/lead pastor) are from Louisiana! I was so looking forward to taking my husband (who doesn't normally travel) there for his first time, for my son's graduation in May. They've said if anything, they'll postpone graduation, not cancel it, but now he's too scared to go anywhere near Louisiana after seeing all the news reports (including the mayor on CNN last night--I should've known better than to tune in! :p) and says he won't go :( Plane tix non-refundable and the credit policy is a joke :mad: My son flew to Los Angeles for a week but will be returning to his apartment in NOLA on Friday... I'm worried about him being there all alone, especially after reading "Some 70% of Louisiana's 1,795 confirmed cases to date are in the New Orleans metro area" above :(

And yes... Louisiana is so much more than MG!!

TECHE.....Thank you. You said so well what I could not say. I was born in New Orleans (in 1941) and my family moved to Metairie (Jefferson Parish) when I was 10. I went to Nursing School in New Orleans. I am from one of those large families. We are so much more than Mardi Gras. I have not been
part of MG since grammar school. I suspected that MG was a possible reason for the outbreak and said so in a post on WS on MG day.....2/25/20.
I may just need to cut my WS reading time for a while, but I love that you
were there today.....right at the time I needed it. Lato
Thank you! I’m Cajun, born and raised in Acadiana. My son and his family currently live in Nola. As part of our culture, we celebrate and recognize all phases of life. I was born, raised and will die in Louisiana if God says the same. Unless you’ve visited or lived here, you wouldn’t understand our love affair with our culture.

Entire senior home in New Jersey, 94 people, presumed to have coronavirus
March 25, 2020, 11:37 AM MDT

“An entire New Jersey nursing home is presumed to be infected with coronavirus, forcing everyone from the facility to be evacuated on Wednesday, officials said.

At least 24 of 94 residents and patients of St. Joseph’s Senior Home in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of Newark, have tested positive for coronavirus and the other 70 clients are also believed to have the virus, authorities said.”

Oh, no.

New Jersey health officials said Tuesday that many of the residents of the St. Joseph's Senior Home had taken ill, and many of the staff were out sick as well. That meant there were just 3 nuns left to take care of nearly 100 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni