Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctor shares useful tips for how to properly clean your groceries

Once home, VanWingen recommends keeping your groceries outside your home, whether that be in the garage or car, for three days as he says coronavirus can live in the air for three hours and on plastic and metal surfaces for three days.

If you can’t wait, be ready to disinfect.

“Imagining that the groceries have some glitter on them, on the packaging and the bags,” VanWingen said when describing his surgical-like approach to disinfecting groceries. “Our goal is to not have any glitter at the end of this process in our house, on our hands, or more importantly on our face.”

He said the food itself isn’t necessarily the culprit for carrying coronavirus.

“From what we know, food is not going to give us coronavirus,” he said. “It’s more the packaging we’re worried about.””

Last edited:
"Louisiana seems to be a growing hot bed, how come?"

"We had Mardi Gras. People flew in from all over the world. We were in close quarters. One of two had too much to drink and lowered their immune systems" --@SenJohnKennedy on why coronavirus is spreading in Louisiana

short video

Aaron Rupar on Twitter
They really can't figure out how come? The same thing is going to be happening in Florida with all the spring breakers that were there.

Same thing happened with the Spanish flu in 1918.
I was reading an article about WHY the Spanish Flu was so named. Spain was neutral during WW1. It basically came down to censorship. Spain had no government restrictions on what it reported or how.

Countries that had been crippled by the war, like England, France and Germany, downplayed the virus to keep morale up. That's why the estimates of deaths vary so widely and why most experts believe over 100 million to 400 million people died from the flu.

I used to live in a little village just north of Toronto. I'd walk my dog through the cemetery and look at all these old headstones. You would see how families had been decimated from the Spanish flu in 1918. Father dead July 1, 1st child dead July 15, second child dead two days later and so on. It wasn't an anomaly. I just can't imagine what it must have been like. I grew up in England and even ten years after the war there were rations. Beautiful buildings like churches, castles and private homes, some to this day, are without their ornate iron fences taken away and melted to meet the war effort. We have no idea what our parents and grandparents endured. I hope we have the backbone do it, too.

Starting Tuesday, Cincinnati PD won't respond in-person for these calls

Starting March 24 at 8 a.m., Cincinnati Police will not respond in-person to calls for assaults without injuries, break-ins, criminal damaging and more.

Cincinnati police announced Monday that these calls will be referred for online or phone reporting:

• Assault reports where there is no medical attention necessary and suspect is no longer present
  • Breaking and entering reports where there are no suspect(s) or possibility of property recovery
  • Criminal damaging reports
  • Dog bites
  • Lost property
  • Lost or stolen license plates
  • Menacing reports, unless a suspect is expected, threatens to return or is part of the elements of domestic violence
  • Phone harassment
  • Property damage

Well, at least criminals will be having a good time.

Starting Tuesday, Cincinnati PD won't respond in-person for these calls

Starting March 24 at 8 a.m., Cincinnati Police will not respond in-person to calls for assaults without injuries, break-ins, criminal damaging and more.

Cincinnati police announced Monday that these calls will be referred for online or phone reporting:

• Assault reports where there is no medical attention necessary and suspect is no longer present
  • Breaking and entering reports where there are no suspect(s) or possibility of property recovery
  • Criminal damaging reports
  • Dog bites
  • Lost property
  • Lost or stolen license plates
  • Menacing reports, unless a suspect is expected, threatens to return or is part of the elements of domestic violence
  • Phone harassment
  • Property damage
This is not cool. Cinci’ area has a crime prob, IMO. My heart breaks for anyone living in Over the Rhine area of Cinci’. I predict this ain’t gonna be pretty. Moo
Over-the-Rhine, West End designated as 'high violent crime areas'

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/uber-...rking-to-avoid-coronavirus-dies-from-disease/
A Queens Uber driver passed away from the coronavirus Tuesday morning — more than two weeks after he stopped driving to avoid contracting the deadly disease, according to his family.

Anil Subba, a Nepalese immigrant in his 40s from Jackson Heights, died at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning at Elmhurst Hospital, his family told The Post.

Subba checked into the hospital about two weeks ago, according to his cousin Munindra Nembang. He had been hooked up to a ventilator for about two days before he passed, with no contact with his wife and three children, ages 22, 20 and 11.

“We tried to phone him but nobody was allowed. The family members couldn’t talk to him” except by voicemail, Nembang said.

[...]

MICHIGAN

Meijer installing sneeze-guards at check lanes as coronavirus crisis continues
Meijer has announced plans to install sneeze guards at all check lanes to offer more protection for both store staff and customers because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Meijer announced Wednesday, March 25 it would begin installing the guards -- essentially plexiglass shields that go between customers and cashiers -- at the company’s 248 Midwest stores beginning next week.

SpartanNash announced a similar move Tuesday for its 155 corporate owned stores.

[...]

South Carolina doctor develops device to fight ventilator shortage due to COVID-19

From there, Dr. Marjorie Jenkins, Prisma Health Upstate’s Chief Academic Officer, said the device was submitted to the FDA this past Friday night for emergency approval, granted only when no comparable or satisfactory alternative options are available in a public health crisis. As a result, the approval will only be in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/coronavirus/article241509626.html

Thanks to others sharing here, I've been able to organize and cope with a new scary reality.

I've put some new procedures in place to disinfect things coming into my home. I use a wet cloth soaked in a bleach and water mixture to wipe as many food packages that I can, let them air dry before storing. I even wiped down the bunch of bananas. :eek: I have a small wheeled grocery cart that needs the wheels cleaned and resting it over the sink worked great. Shoes... I don't come inside wearing shoes... :oops: I take them off and wash the bottom of my shoes. Oh, and I keep my mail in a separate bag for a couple of days. :rolleyes: I hang clothing in separate place instead of back in the closet.

Yes, I went out today on Day 12, but I took lots of precautions. Starting over on Day 1 tomorrow. It's become a challenge... How long can I self-isolate and help save lives? :)

I guess it must be different around the country (NJ here), but I applied (and always have applied) and also certify (collect) my weekly benefits totally online. I have never spoken to a person except once when I made a mistake with number of days last worked...and they fixed it instantly.
I'm in California and the last time I had to apply for unemployment was in 2008. I did it online. I imagine if there was a problem I would need to call in.

I was approved right away but they didn't pay for the first week of being unemployed so I didn't get payed right away.

I really doubt it will be common for people to have to wait 6 to 12 months to get approved and payed unemployment benefits. If anyone can provide a link that supports such a ridiculously long wait time I would be very interested in reading it.

I'm in California and the last time I had to apply for unemployment was in 2008. I did it online. I imagine if there was a problem I would need to call in.

I was approved right away but they didn't pay for the first week of being unemployed so I didn't get payed right away.

I really doubt it will be common for people to have to wait 6 to 12 months to get approved and payed unemployment benefits. If anyone can provide a link that supports such a ridiculously long wait time I would be very interested in reading it.
Exactly my experience the first time I applied, in 2015. Even easier once you have an account, username and pin. And I received a check this time a week and a half after applying.

Going out is really such a hassle, I’m afraid most people are not taking precautions.
Thanks to others sharing here, I've been able to organize and cope with a new scary reality.

I've put some new procedures in place to disinfect things coming into my home. I use a wet cloth soaked in a bleach and water mixture to wipe as many food packages that I can, let them air dry before storing. I even wiped down the bunch of bananas. :eek: I have a small wheeled grocery cart that needs the wheels cleaned and resting it over the sink worked great. Shoes... I don't come inside wearing shoes... :oops: I take them off and wash the bottom of my shoes. Oh, and I keep my mail in a separate bag for a couple of days. :rolleyes: I hang clothing in separate place instead of back in the closet.

Yes, I went out today on Day 12, but I took lots of precautions. Starting over on Day 1 tomorrow. It's become a challenge... How long can I self-isolate and help save lives? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77