Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BHughes

BHughes Northeast corner- Louisiana

My son's UI was pretty quick coming through West Virginia. My husband's still has not come and it has been over a month, but his is coming through Pennsylvania. No employer disputes.
    Different states, different rates and different time expectancies I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

2. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Viruses come and go but love stays put..!

Read the here:

883-page bill

After several days of intense negotiations and an 11th-hour standoff over a key provision, the Senate has released the final legislative text for its $2 trillion bill to combat novel coronavirus.

Why it matters: The bill is the largest rescue package in modern history, and offers thousands of dollars in direct aid to American families, billions in emergency loans to small businesses and industries hardest hit by COVID-19, and desperately needed resources to hospitals.

3. ColyH

ColyH Well-Known Member

106 year old woman who survived the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic interviewed.

4. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Viruses come and go but love stays put..!

Cares Act Final Text

Read the text here:

883-page bill

American News Website
    [​IMG]
    Read: The $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill

Why it matters: The bill is the largest rescue package in modern history, and offers thousands of dollars in direct aid to American families, billions in emergency loans to small businesses and industries hardest hit by COVID-19, and desperately needed resources to hospitals.

pocketaccent, otto, WideOpen and 6 others like this.
  5. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

Nurses share photos of the great coronavirus equipment shortage, showing empty closets, torn face masks, and paper bags where they're keeping gear overnight

[​IMG]
    A hospital in Southern California is giving nurses just one mask per shift, which goes against typical safety protocols.

[​IMG]
    An anonymous nurse from Oklahoma City shared an almost empty mask and glove cabinet at her hospital.

[​IMG]
    A nurse in Wisconsin shared a photo of what her mask looked like after one shift.

[​IMG]
    Pearson shared a photo of what nurses are being told: to clean equipment with alcohol swabs in lieu of sanitizing equipment.

[​IMG]
    Pearson shared a photo of empty hand-sanitizing stations at his hospital in Alameda County, California.

6. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

I hear ya! Husband has started spraying all foods purchased at the local grocery store with a homemade spray solution of 99% alcohol diluted with water - 3 parts alcohol to one part water which gives you 75%. If you have 70% alcohol use it full strength.

Back in the day when I worked in a hospital we would regularly clean the stainless sinks with alcohol. I'm also a big believer in bleach/water sterilizers. I like the alcohol better as it evaporates but either works.

And yes, he sprays all food items. Not shoes at this point. He has abandoned using our own bags even though our town has banned plastic and charges for paper bags. His reasoning is that it's easier to dispose of the paper bags than disinfecting our cloth ones each time. And of course he uses hand sanitizer at the store and immediately washes his hands when he gets home.

I hope one of the habits we'll all develop from the virus is the importance of washing our hands.

libraryg, Luckyzmom, Really? and 17 others like this.
  7. katydid23

katydid23 On Time Out

Schumer office said he has secured a provision in the agreement that will prohibit “businesses controlled by the President, Vice President, Members of Congress, and heads of Executive Departments from receiving loans or investments from Treasury programs.”

The children, spouses and in-laws of the aforementioned principals are also included in this prohibition.

So if someone works for a business, that is partly owned by a congressman or relative of a politician, then that business will fail because they will not be eligible for any loans?

I do worry about the employees of the affected companies. It doesn't seem fair to punish all of the employees. I wonder how many businesses we are talking about? I bet there are thousands that have strong connections to politicians.

Really?, EmilyVan, otto and 6 others like this.
  8. MyBelle

MyBelle On Time Out

Children's Hospital (84th & Dodge Sts.) isn't part of Saint Joseph Hospital (now called Chi Health-Bergan Mercy (75th & Mercy Rd.) Children's is adjacent to Methodist Hospital. That's a separate health system with its own administrators. Joseph Hospital (601 N. 30th St.) closed several years ago and is now apartments.

Below is a link to Children's Covid-19 page. Children's changed protocol AFTER the NICU worker tested positive. It really angers me because the strict protocol at UNMC has been in place since the Ebola patients arrived. The used it when the first Princess Cruise passengers arrived. Those infectious disease experts know what they are doing. Nebraska's first non-Princess patient, the young woman who was in the UK and then attended the Special Olympics basketball tournament at the Fremont YMCA first went to a Methodist Hospital ER with a severe headache. They sent her home and as her condition worsened, she went back to Methodist. She exposed a lot of Methodist ER staff. Hard to believe the didn't implement the protocol at that point.

Important COVID-19 Updates for Children’s Patients & Families | Children's Hospital & Medical Center

Luckyzmom, Really?, Midgie2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

. Universal, imo. Bad thing is will anyone be maintaining contact with these criminals? Were they tested for Covid 14 or more days prior to release? Be extra cautious. I saw a guy hitchhiking on my road today, never noticed anyone thumbing on my road before. He seemed like he really had no idea where he was or where he was going. I watched him with my binoculars, lol.

Midgie2, SkylarSid, BHughes and 3 others like this.
  10. MamaOV

MamaOV let justice roll down like waters

11. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

I forgot to add is that our local Safeway has installed sneeze guards. And Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 am to 9 am is Seniors only shopping. I don't know if QFC is doing the same.

Gardener1850, Lynetta, LadyL and 10 others like this.
  12. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

I'm sorry to hear about your former husband, and I hope that you and your son are okay. It's never easy to lose someone.

13. PommyMommy

U. of I. makes academic changes to give students more flexibility, lower stress during semester upended by coronavirus
    With coronavirus throwing students and faculty a curveball as they continue the spring semester, officials at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have announced a series of changes to their academic policies they hope will give students more flexibility during a stressful time.

[...]

The biggest changes for the university involve offering more classes for credit/no-credit, instead of students receiving a grade after completing a course.

Instructors can now choose if their course should be offered credit/no-credit — an acknowledgement by officials that some courses may prove more difficult to evaluate students through standard letter grading. Students can also decide whether they would prefer to be graded as usual, or to take a course credit/no-credit.

They university also acknowledged that some classes will be tough to grade fairly remotely. The school has added a “pass/no pass option ... in recognition of the fact that some courses that cannot be assessed and graded in a fair way without face-to-face interaction (e.g., performance courses),” the letter said.

The new policies will not apply to certain professional programs, including the College of Law and the College of Medicine, the university said.

[...]

Gardener1850, Lynetta, otto and 8 others like this.
  14. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Night all. Be safe.

15. cody22

cody22 Former Member

16. escape2sc

escape2sc Lowcountry of South Carolina

Luckyzmom, rootbeer, Anirtak and 9 others like this.
  17. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

It seems insane. But people are still in denial. I’m going to use this smaller deal with mask-making to make my point.

Here’s the interesting thing I have observed about this. First, I posted about masks being made in Indiana for a hospital on my timeline and I tagged friends who sew. I said it looks like we need to do some WWII type stuff, gals. People were shocked. Nobody mobilized because, hey, we’re not in Indiana. So then I posted about another state. Still, nobody I knew started.

Then in a small community group for the village next to me, a nurse posted, begging people to make masks. Someone tagged me and all of a sudden people got in gear. More nurses from other hospitals started posting in there as well and we were/are a bit overwhelmed.

So then a friend from a different state posted, asking if anyone was doing this in her area. Nobody responded except me. I said if the hospitals haven’t asked yet, they will, so I would get started. Nobody did. They, like us, thought it would never come to that in their state! So then yesterday a nurse from that state started begging me for some masks and I went back to these other friends and all of a sudden they felt overwhelmed by requests.

So people keep looking at this happening in other states with shock and awe but do nothing yet because they still somehow believe this isn’t going to come to their door. And when it does, they are overwhelmed.

It’s really exactly what happened with this entire country, and almost no one was prepared.

Now we need to make sure the rest of the states don’t become NY and that the US doesn’t become Italy.

libraryg, Diddian, Luckyzmom and 20 others like this.
  18. PommyMommy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/25/coronavirus-latest-news/
    For the first time since the outbreak reached the United States, state health departments around the country reported more than 200 coronavirus-related deaths in a single day on Wednesday. More than 900 people in the country have died from complications of the virus as of Wednesday evening, according to tracking by The Washington Post. There were more than 13,000 new reported cases on Wednesday, bringing the total to over 67,000 cases.

[...]

Here are some other significant developments:
    • California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced that several major banks have agreed to delay mortgage payments for as long as three months for those affected by the outbreak.
    • In two interviews late Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) expressed optimism about the Senate’s $2.2 trillion stimulus bill, but criticized Republican lawmakers opposed its expanded unemployment benefits.
    • The national death toll in Spain surpassed 3,400, making it the world’s hardest-hit country after Italy.
    • Another 683 people have died of the coronavirus in Italy, officials said, bringing the country’s total death toll to 7,503 and pushing the global death toll past 20,000. Only four other countries have reported more than 1,000 deaths from the virus: Spain, China, Iran and France.
    • More than 435,000 people around the world have tested positive for the novel coronavirus. But it is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability is encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

19. Curious Me

Curious Me Long-Time Member from back in the day

Yes, :) I like a 50% alcohol mix with some drops of Dawn and tiny bit of water for my counters and computer keyes, but I think the bleach mix kills this virus better. I wonder if there's studies about killing this virus. Oh, your hospital experience is interesting.

At least, we're trying to keep things clean.:)

They don't offer paper bags in most stores here... I use the thick plastic bags over and over...and I wash them in the bleach water mix and hang them out to reuse again. I respect your concerns for our environment. I feel like I'm drowning in plastic packaging.

Luckyzmom, Really?, LadyL and 7 others like this.
  20. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Luckyzmom, SkylarSid and epiphany like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.