Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everyone is on the ventilator for the same amount of time?

NOW I understand what you are getting at. I can't explain it as well as a scientist but I probably don't even need to be in the conversation any which way. You, though are helping me understand what I don't. I sound messed up don't I? Just a long day with a crashed computer and a terrified adult daughter getting near-hysterical about this whole pandemic.

This is a discussion board where people discuss ideas. We don't just post links to news. We are in the beginning of a pandemic that will last until there is a viable vaccine (12-24 months). The question is whether national resources should be delegated to the first hot spots, or whether each region should hold on to their resources in preparation for being a hot spot soon.

No right or wrong, just different viewpoints. I have had a dystopian view of this virus from the beginning back in January. I was one of those people who felt ridiculous loading up on groceries well before the first case was announced. Others are quite optimistic that this is just the flu, time to party hard.
Credible information and community awareness is empowering. Civil discourse is necessary. Processing, discussing, delineating and disseminating. How we use this power right now is what will define us as a world in crisis.

No politics for me on this thread. I hope that New York looks at and gets some of these new Y splitter's that could quadruple the number of patients that one machine can save.

Innovative ventilator device developed by Prisma Health to quickly increase ventilator capacity for COVID-19 patients

FDA gives emergency use authorization of "Y" splitter tubing to allow a single ventilator to assist up to four patients

Innovative ventilator device developed by Prisma Health to quickly increase ventilator capacity for COVID-19 patients

Denver / denvergov.org
https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/mayors-office/newsroom/2020/city-s-covid-19-response-update-and-stay-at-home-order.html

City's COVID-19 Response Update and Stay At Home Order

Mar 23, 2020

Update!

The Order (below) has been updated with the following changes:

• Liquor stores with extreme physical distancing in place will be exempt.
  • All marijuana stores with extreme physical distancing in place will be exempt.
All construction operations and projects will be exempt.

Denver, CO – Mayor Michael B. Hancock today announced a new Public Health Order with an explicit stay at home directive for the City and County of Denver that will go into effect at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24 and continue until April 10. The Mayor is urging all community residents and businesses to escalate their observance of the previous stay at home guidelines amid the worsening COVID-19 epidemic and said that he expects other cities in the metro area to enact similar orders very shortly.

The order requires that all people in the City & County of Denver stay home and businesses implement work from home policies and delivery of goods to the greatest extent possible. The order also calls for Denver Metro regional municipalities to follow the broad consensus among public health professionals that every effort should be made, by all persons, to conduct only those essential activities necessary to promote health and well-being, such as getting groceries, obtaining medical supplies or medication, and/or engaging in outdoor activities like walking, hiking or running, continuing the strict observance of physical distancing practices.

“This stay at home order responds to the public health advice we have received as well as ongoing conversations with the Governor and metro mayors,” said Mayor Michael B. Hancock. “People and businesses need to continue to take physical distancing seriously to make an impact on the spread of this virus. Frankly, voluntary ‘distancing’ is simply not enough.”

See the attached public health order for additional information, including a full list of exceptions.

In other news from the city’s ongoing public health response to the COVID-19 epidemic:

• A Business Task Force comprised of the city’s key economic and financial professionals is gathering rapidly evolving data on the impacts of the epidemic on businesses and employers, along with fast-tracking the development of cash assistance and other tools;
  • Exceeding the Governor’s request that Colorado businesses maintain no more than 50% of their workforce onsite to ensure essential operations, the City & County of Denver reports that nearly 80% of its employees are working remotely; and
  • Denver is actively procuring supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) and is assessing current inventory.”

NOW I understand what you are getting at. I can't explain it as well as a scientist but I probably don't even need to be in the conversation any which way. You, though are helping me understand what I don't. I sound messed up don't I? Just a long day with a crashed computer and a terrified adult daughter getting near-hysterical about this whole pandemic.
Send her over here :) Though we hopefully won't freak her out more... It's hard to see your kid be afraid, no matter how old. I hope she feels better.

A local Councilman at first diagnosis made a news clip saying he was home and so far doing okay. The next thing we knew :eek: he was going into the ICU and was put on a respirator...this was just last week. Tonight the news reported he's making steady progress, :confused: now on a ventilator, but in stable condition.

There's a difference:
Difference Between Respirator and Ventilator | Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms

Now
Chula Vista councilman who contracted COVID-19 making 'steady progress'; remains on a ventilator

A week ago:
Chula Vista Councilman Steve Padilla Hospitalized on Respirator with COVID-19 - Times of San Diego

3 metro Denver health departments issue stay-at-home orders for 2 million people
Updated: Mar 25, 2020 / 05:52 PM

“There is widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the Metro Denver area, and we must take bold actions to stop the spread of this virus,” said John M. Douglas, Jr., MD, executive director of Tri-County Health Department. “With each passing day, we run a growing risk of greater transmission and illness and quickly overwhelming our hospitals, which are really a resource for our entire region and state. When this happens, not everyone may get the care they need. It’s a real possibility in Colorado — and a situation which has already occurred in countries such as Italy — and which is threatening to happen in major U.S. cities in other areas of our country. We understand the toll that measures to address the pandemic are having on our communities, and we want to reassure residents that this step is temporary, and a critical one to get us closer to recovery.”

—-

https://kdvr.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2020/03/StayAtHomeOrder_03.25.20_Signed-1.pdf

20% of sick people of all ages in China were hospitalized. Yes, there will be that many people who need ventilators over the next few months. This will not peak in two weeks, with today's numbers in a holding pattern. This is exploding everywhere - but some places are a couple of weeks behind NY and Seattle.
Hospitalization and needing ventilation are two completely different things. Oxygen can be portable and given at home. My state now has 68 infected but not all are in the hospital and no one has died. That is because of stellar infection control measures and medication treatments are being tried and also trialed. Data is being carefully tracked. The tracing of community spread is also showing very positive results.

JMO

No politics for me on this thread. I hope that New York looks at and gets some of these new Y splitter's that could quadruple the number of patients that one machine can save.

Great! I had heard they were doubling up in Italy, but using the splitter for 4 is even better.

Marking / bringing forward and trying to keep up as best as possible. Thanks everyone for all the links, etc.

Pentagon reports first known coronavirus case in service member
The Pentagon reported its first positive coronavirus case of a service member stationed at the building, a U.S. Defense Official confirmed Wednesday.

A U.S. Marine stationed at the Pentagon tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, the Department of Defense spokesperson Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell said in a statement.

The Marine is in isolation at home and will undergo further assessment by health professionals. His last day in the Pentagon was March 13.

“The Marine followed U.S. Centers for Disease Control guidelines and DoD directives by isolating himself when an immediate family member began to show symptoms. Once he became ill, he contacted his assigned medical facility,” Campbell said.

[...]

There have been previous cases confirmed of an active-duty airman and Air Force contractor who visited the Pentagon in recent weeks.

[...]

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
Wednesday's major coronavirus updates:
- USA: +11,204 cases, +146 deaths
- Spain: +7,457 cases, +656 deaths
- Italy: +5,210 cases, +683 deaths
- Germany: +3,907 cases, +47 deaths
- France: +2,931 cases, +231 deaths
- Iran: +2,206 cases, +143 deaths
- UK: +1,452 cases, +43 deaths
8:10 PM - 25 Mar 2020

How volunteers from tech companies like Amazon, Apple and Google built a coronavirus-tracking site in six days
In the last week, a group of thirty volunteers from tech companies like Apple, Amazon and Alphabet put together a website called “covidnearyou” that aims to track the coronavirus as it spreads.

[...]

Once they jumped on a call, Brownstein informed him about a website that was already underway to monitor influenza, called “flunearyou.” The pair decided to co-opt the underlying technology for better COVID-19 monitoring, given the current gap in testing. That led to the idea of developing “covidnearyou.”

[...]

After a week of work, the team, which includes designers, engineers and marketers, are now ready to go live with covidnearyou.org. The site is recruiting people from across the U.S. to share whether they’re experiencing symptoms or not, as well as some demographic information.

If they can get enough people to use the site -- and the goal is to reach 100,000 users -- they hope to fill in some of the gaps in reporting due to the lack of testing.

[...]

<modsnip: snipped to comply with 10% copyright; full article at link above>

Last edited:

BBM: (wow)

“As of 2 p.m., the total number of confirmed cases has reached 2,294, according to the state, an increase of 507 cases since Tuesday, the biggest single-day increase to date. The death toll increased by 19.

For reference, Monday’s final total was 1,328 confirmed cases. A majority of the confirmed cases and reported deaths are in Wayne and Oakland counties.

It is important to note that while the number of cases is going up, it does not mean social distancing is not working. People who are testing positive now could have been exposed to the virus several weeks ago, and many people don’t show symptoms for several days.”

-more at link

Last edited:
Am I the only person here who keeps having to tell myself to stop clenching? I used to hate the dentist and I would tighten my entire body up when the drill would spin.
I've noticed I'm doing that a lot lately! (No dentist)
I keep telling myself to stop it!
I'm actually kinda laughing at myself.
Time to ship Gngr off, she snapped!
Going to the butcher in the am.
I ordered a package deal.
Not going to the grocery store and already sick of gluten free bean and pea soup!
I need meat! Hopefully I can make that last until the end of May?
Breaking my self quarantine.
I have already paid,
I'm hoping there isn't a line of people. It's like I'm headed into enemy territory. We are up to 82 cases in my town. 5 dead and one who was in ICU, on a vent, discharged and in kidney failure, so he has to have dialysis until a kidney becomes available. He is 30!
Immunosuppressed and stressed!
Moo

A couple of weeks ago people were here saying that we cannot trust that it's as bad as it looks in China, that it's a bit of hype or hoax, that what happens in Italy will reveal the truth. People who were preparing for a local epidemic were called "panicker" and "henny penny."

It happens fast. People who did not expect it cannot believe it until they are standing in it.

NY will need ventilators for the next 5 months, and they will be unable to keep up with the deaths. Just like China, Italy and Spain, bodies will be moved to crematoriums, no funerals. Don't imagine that US cities are different from Italy, Spain, France, Iran, China.

I should add that I'm the dystopian view of this situation.
BBM. Yes, these cities ARE different so please stop comparing them. It would be also be great if you would provide links instead of stating your opinion as fact. Especially because you have repeatedly stated you live in Canada, not the U.S so your "dystopian view" is coming across more as anti-American rhetoric, which isn't helping the discussion, imo. The point of "flattening the curve" is so there will be supplies for as long as needed and there is evidence that is happening in many states.

It isn't nearly as bad in my state as it is in China or Spain or Italy and I don't anticipate it will even come close.

JMO

I'm gonna be surrounded by criminals. Is this happening in every state or just Ohio?

Coronavirus: Clark County Jail releasing ‘some’ non-violent inmates

Burchett said she didn’t have an immediate count on how many inmates have been released, but the jail’s current population is between 113 to 117 inmates. The jail usually averages an inmate population of about 200 inmates.

The Tri-County Regional Jail in Mechanicsburg has also been working with courts to release some non-violent inmates, jail executive director Scott Springhetti said.

“We have been working with the courts and doing what they feel is the best,” Springhetti said. “We aren’t just kicking people out without an order. We’ve been closing following the court’s advice.”

Springhetti said on March 1 the jail had a population of 159 inmates — on Wednesday morning the jail had just 95 inmates.

ETA These are 2 different jails in 2 different counties. One is my county and the other is the next county over. I understand the reason behind it but I'm not happy about it.

That reminds me of Katrina and all the evidence lost:

Quick reference:
Katrina Causes Chaos in New Orleans Court System

“Judge FRANK MARULLO: And I watched the water go up, and inside the building, there was about eight foot of water. And that engulfed a lot of the evidence, I'm sure.

LEWIS: The evidence room is behind steel doors at the bottom of the courthouse below ground level. Tens of thousands of items are stored there: guns, drugs, bloody shirts, DNA samples, photos. It's not clear what condition the evidence is in. Indeed, no one will say who if anyone has been in to see it. That includes the evidence from one infamous case, the gang-style murder of 15-year-old Jonathan Williams in April 2003. Williams was gunned down in a high-school gym during a student assembly. Three other students were injured in a blizzard of gunfire. James Tate is one of the defendants. His lawyer says his case highlights some of the problems ahead for justice.”

ADMIN NOTE:

In case members aren't reading The Rules:

Do not politicize.
Do not discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators or moderation (which can get members permanently banned).

BASHING WS ADMINISTRATORS and MODERATORS, and THEIR ACTIONS

Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board's Private Message function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the Dos and Donts of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

Do be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

Do not be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

Make sure you "Click to expand" the quoted Rule.

Just bear in mind you probably don't know the full and true story.

Do NOT respond to this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member