Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

"People want to go back to work. I'm hearing it loud and clear from everyone. We have to go back. This is the USA they don't want to sit around and wait. They'll still be social distancing. And washing hands. But they still have to back. We have to go back to work." - Trump

COVID19 on Twitter

It's messages like this that confuse people, leading them to believe that the virus is nothing to worry about, that people do not need to isolate, that everyone should carry on as usual, return to work while washing their hands as they normally do and not getting too close to others. Is it any surprise that Spring Break partiers don't take it seriously? There's such a mixed and confusing message about the virus and how to safely get to the other side of it.

Forgive me for asking, but who is Dr. Birks? Is he going by local numbers? Is he looking at places like Connecticut and New York/New Jersey?

Experts here in California (Stanford, UC San Francisco, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine) say that we're flattening the curve - but that we still have a massive storm ahead, with a predicted 2000 people dead in Santa Clara County alone.

"Deborah Leah Birx is an American physician and diplomat who serves as the response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force as of March 2020." Wikipedia

This guidance provides recommendations on the cleaning and disinfection of households where persons under investigation (PUI) or those with confirmed COVID-19 reside or may be in self-isolation. It is aimed at limiting the survival of the virus in the environments. These recommendations will be updated if additional information becomes available.

These guidelines are focused on household settings and are meant for the general public.
  • Cleaning refers to the removal of germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. Cleaning does not kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
  • Disinfecting refers to using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.
[URL="https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcommunity%2Fhome%2Fcleaning-disinfection.html"]Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations[/URL]

See EPA’s list of [URL='https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-list_03-03-2020.pdf']disinfectants that are effective against COVID-19
[/URL]

Oh no. We have surpassed Italy and China. We are Number ONE in the number of positives. I keep praying for the day when we have reached the top of the peak and the darn wave washes over the U.S. and we begin making our way out. This feels like a horror movie.

Dr.Birx, M.D., is the United States'coordinator for coronavirus pandemic. She was appointed by Obama in 2014 as U.S. Global Aids Coordinator, and confirmed by Senate, and appointed by Trump as Global Coordinator for coronavirus pandemic. She has impeccable qualifications and expertise.

https://www.state.gov/biographies/deborah-l-birx-md/
Thank you! These doctors are spectacular IMO.

Dr.Birx, M.D., is the United States'coordinator for coronavirus pandemic. She was appointed by Obama in 2014 as U.S. Global Aids Coordinator, and confirmed by Senate, and appointed by Trump as Global Coordinator for coronavirus pandemic. She has impeccable qualifications and expertise.

https://www.state.gov/biographies/deborah-l-birx-md/
And today she looks exhausted.
MOO.

It would have made a BIG difference if China had admitted early on there was human-to-human transmission. Instead, they flat-out lied about it to the rest of the world.

JMO

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/chinas-new-top-priority-spinning-coronavirus-and-blaming-the-us/
Chinese labs ID’d the new virus in December, but the regime ordered them to stop testing and quietly destroy their samples. Officials even squelched health care workers, like the late Dr. Li Wenliang, who tried to warn colleagues of the coming epidemic.

Li and others knew in December the virus was spreading through human contact. But the government publicly denied it until Jan. 20. The World Health Organization tweeted Jan. 14, “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission.” Such lies helped the virus spread more quickly than it should’ve, as Wuhan authorities OK’d a potluck banquet involving tens of thousands of people.

Many of us knew about this virus as early as January 17th.

Interesting journey with all we know now, thread #1:

Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

TRAJECTORY

"The trajectory of the U.S. #COVID19 epidemic just couldn't be worse, especially compared to other nations.
We've outpaced China and we're racing to hell at a clip well beyond Italy or Spain. "
Laurie Garrett on Twitter

Laurie Garrett on Twitter

Do you know if a source exists that shows Apx number of tests conducted by nation? I would be really interested in seeing that with a comparison to the positive case count.

This is unquestionably a dreadful virus. I do not dispute that at all. However, there is NO accurate statistical data in existence. None.

So the fact that we in the U.S. are number one in reported cases, IMO, is a good thing, as we are testing, and getting data. However, the information is surely out there, if one chooses to read it, that shows there are professionals who think there is a rather large population of asymptomatic folk out there, and that number surely adds to the denominator in the death rate calculation.

All that being said, I'm self quarantined :) And I think y'all should be too :)

I'm on legal lockdown. Lol. Staying in.

I agree, no accurate data.

Unfortunately, I think the US, Canada, and the UK will be accurate. We need to factor in Italy (which is truly tragic) for the aged population and risk.

Throw the numbers from China out the window, I've said several times.

Jmo

Ye, the survival rate is relatively high. But I have a pre-existing condition which doesn't make it so high for someone like me. But this is a really weird virus, some people have no symptoms, some people have mild symptoms, some people have severe symptoms, and some people die. It's very unpredictable.
We will only have antibodies to it if we get the virus and survive. Not really a good way to get antibodies.

I hear you, and I hope a vaccine comes much sooner rather than later. Or even antibody transfers through immunoglobulin therapy. A lot of people here have wondered if they already had this. I for one would like to be checked, and if I have antibodies, use them (and send me back to work when that can be done safely).

It's messages like this that confuse people, leading them to believe that the virus is nothing to worry about, that people do not need to isolate, that everyone should carry on as usual, return to work while washing their hands as they normally do and not getting too close to others. Is it any surprise that Spring Break partiers don't take it seriously? There's such a mixed and confusing message about the virus and how to safely get to the other side of it.
It's a respiratory virus and they keep telling people it can be avoided by hand washing. Hand washing helps, but it ain't a cure for respiratory viruses that largely enter through the nose.

In her big plan, not one word about protecting healthcare workers....
Her big plan is about protecting ALL people. It bothers me to see her disrespected in any way.She is doing a great job and has a brilliant background.

Who is coronavirus warrior Dr. Deborah Birx?
"In fact, Birx is the mother of two children. But she's much more than that. She was a U.S. army physician, beginning her career with the Department of Defense as a military-trained clinician in immunology as the HIV/AIDS epidemic broke out in the U.S. She put herself through medical school at the Hershey School of Medicine and trained in internal medicine and basic and clinical immunology at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

In the following decades she emerged as a pioneer in the field, leading "one of the most influential HIV vaccine trials in history," according to her biography on the U.S. Department of State website. The RV144 trial, commonly known as the "Thai trial," was the first of its kind to show that a preventative HIV vaccine was possible.

Now ambassador-at-large and U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, she's taking on COVID-19 as the response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force. She's been the one warning millennials that the coronavirus could be serious for them and that they play a central role in stopping the disease's spread. At the same time, she’s navigating a relationship with President Trump while on prime-time television, a job she’s well qualified for.

When President George W. Bush announced the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief in 2003, Birx was seeing the epidemic play out first hand in Kenya. She flew back and waited outside the townhouse of then-Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Joe O'Neill to get a meeting with him. She had prepared a 180-slide PowerPoint to convince the White House the Army needed to be part of the relief effort.

As the COVID-19 outbreak hit the United States, she flew home again, this time from South Africa, to head the response team. While there was initial confusion over whether she or the vice president were heading the effort, Pence has described her as his “right arm.”

“She is somebody that knows how to manage the whole of the U.S. government to move it toward a particular goal. If the White House lets her do that, it could be exactly the kind of coordination that has been lacking up to this point,” Matthew Kavanaugh, who directs Georgetown’s Global Health Policy and Governance Initiative and knows Birx from his years working on global HIV policy, told The Hill."

Someone is saying Wolf Blitzer is on CNN saying California has the fastest growth rate of cases right now. Is Louisiana no longer in that #1 spot? Does anyone have the link for the site that has the most current data/stats about this type of thing? Thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back