Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Yes, that was my original thought was to make a frame where it would hold a replaceable homemade cutout of my vaccum cleaner bag HEPA filter material. That way I could keep the frame and just slide in new inserts whenever they get too used.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out a good frame. Those patterns look perfect so I may have to take a crash course in sewing. LOL

2. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

World News Tonight@ABCWorldNews

"Pres. Trump on Queen's Elmhurst Hospital, hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak: "I watched the doctors and the nurses walking into that hospital this morning—it's like military people going into battle...the bravery is incredible."

A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has infected more than 850,000 people around the world.

Over 176,000 of those patients have recovered from the the new respiratory virus, which causes an illness known officially as COVID-19.

More than 41,000 people across the globe have died, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.

With more than 184,000 diagnosed COVID-19 cases, the United States has by far the highest national tally in the world, according to the Johns Hopkins data.

The U.S. has now lost 3,721 lives from the virus, surpassing the death toll in Hubei, China, the province where the virus first emerged in December.

World News Tonight on Twitter

Coronavirus live updates: Need to prepare for 'battle' at the apex, Cuomo says

3. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

This is an example of the Vacuum cleaner HEPA filter bags and notice this 0.3 micron size limit which is exactly what the N95's claim.

"Removes 99.97% of all airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size "

If this works, then the next shortage will be Vacuum cleaner replacement bags :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Type-HEPA-Filter-bags/dp/B00QPHDBC6

libraryg, WideOpen, kimpage and 14 others like this.
  4. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

World News Tonight on Twitter (video)

"Dr. Fauci stresses the need to maintain social distancing guidelines. "We are a very strong and resilient nation...Let's all pull together and make sure, as we look forward to the next 30 days, we do it with all the intensity and force that we can."

5. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

I don’t need to read a journalist’s opinion when I can listen to the nationally televised question and answer that was about excess capacity. I don’t know where you heard 100 days since my clients are doing it already. Tesla has already delivered ventilators to CA and NY. The actual quote - which is available for you to watch live - asked what we were going to do if the US made too many ventilators.

Do you seriously think GM and Ford are going to send ventilators abroad before sending them to US hospitals? Genuinely - do you think American companies are going to do that? Because that’s what twisting this quote to fit a particular political agenda means.

6. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

This is how I make the Olson mask adjustable. Elastic threads through the ends and is knotted. This also makes the elastic replaceable

Attached Files:

7. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

regarding fast food and restaurants being curbside pickup only. That’s basically how it is in my area right now too, and has been for a couple weeks. You call ahead and they’ll bring it out to you. I know McDonald’s has an app where you can order food and they will bring it outside to you. They’ve had the app since before the virus.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything is an inconvenience for everyone right now. But takeout has actually been one of the things that isn’t a huge issue IMO.

8. Rose in SC

Rose in SC Lurker Who Lurks

SOUTH CAROLINA (apologies if already posted)

The governor (McMaster) is closing businesses in three categories for 15 days beginning Wednesday, April 1 per his executive order:

Entertainment – bowling alleys, night clubs, arcades, concert halls, theaters, auditoriums, performing arts centers, tourist attractions including museums, racetracks , indoor children play areas (excluding daycares), adult entertainment venues, bingo halls, venues operated by social clubs

Athletic facilities and activities – fitness centers and gyms, spas and public pools, spectator sports, events that require shared sporting equipment, public playground equipment

Close contact service providers – barber shops, hair salons, waxing salons, nail salons, spas, body art facilities, tattoo parlors, tanning salons, massage therapy

“The virus is still spreading and still growing,” McMaster said. “We have to do everything we can... but not go too far and destroy businesses and jobs people are depending on.”

He added: “The bare minimum will close.”

S.C. governor closes all non-essential businesses to help fight spread of coronavirus as cases rise

Guess it's better than nothing - only 2 weeks and "the bare minimum will close." Still no stay-at-home order. o_O Up to 1,083 cases and 22 deaths.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. sallye818

sallye818 Well-Known Member

So, so sorry to hear this! You guys are the kind of people I worry about. I don't know about UK (I think you're there?) but can you report it to the National Health Svc? Here it would be the public health dept. or OSHA. Yes, he'd probably still lose his job, but at least, hopefully, he'd be fined/in trouble for his business practices. I know this is idealistic and it may not work out this way in RL, but I pray you'll figure it out and your family will be ok. Praying!!

10. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

I couldn't load the simple illustration I have, so I found some scattered photos for ideas. Hope they help.
    photo of filter insertion into mask - بحث Google:

11. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that stores were going to that extent to enforce the "essential items." My trip to Wal-Mart last week, I started to buy my Grandson some underwear, is that essential, lol?

Lynetta, Gardener1850, Amonet and 9 others like this.
  12. Fireflize

Fireflize Well-Known Member

Nice pattern , thx. I'll use this.

13. sallye818

sallye818 Well-Known Member

Once again, @CeeCeeCat , thank you for the awesome reminder to be grateful with your gratitude list!

14. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

The ice arena at one of our state universities is identified as a morgue for the county, should it be needed. The university recruits nationally and in Canada for its highly competitive NCAA hockey team. I hope it doesn't come to this.

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

there's a lot of older people who don't/can't online shop

16. JaneEyre

17. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Ha. Righto. I already ordered some vacuum cleaner bags when I read about them earlier. They supposedly do filter well, but the issue with them is breathability. The website I was reading from therefore recommended plain old cotton tee shirt material. A mask is no good if you have to keep pulling it down to breathe. JMO

18. JaneEyre

You can search Olson mask on YouTube for a tutorial. I have tweaked the pattern a bit to make sure it fits everyone. And I also added a top stitch around the top and bottom of the mask so it holds its shape better when washed. Some people are also adding a bit of interfacing as a filter and to hold its shape.

SandyQLS, crhedBngr, WideOpen and 8 others like this.
  19. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Years ago I got my now 86 year old mom interested in FaceBook. She loves it. Then I convinced her to finally replace her old desktop computer with an iMac/laptop, complete with lessons from me and Apple. She's a whizz now and just yesterday was telling me how proud she was of herself for figuring out how to order her groceries online. I'm more than grateful I pushed her out of her comfort zone back then.

20. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.