Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Yeah, like one of those "end of the world" blockbusters. I wonder who will be the "hero" in this one.

Really?, Gardener1850, LadyL and 2 others like this.

2. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

Everyone has refrigeration in China. They don't hunt. Their grocery stores look just like ours, such as Kroger, etc.

The wet markets are a thing of the past, part of the culture of older generations.

3. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Well, it didn't really fail, did it. China seems to have successfully stopped the epidemic in China.
    But we don't have enough PPE for medical professionals, let alone regular public, and our epidemic is spreading like wild fire.

MajorHoople and Midgie2 like this.
  4. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

I haven't been posting Dr. Campbell for some time here like was done daily in earlier threads, think perhaps is good to restart for all here. MOO He does criticize on some actions, but those that follow know he is very keen on basics. Use YOUR critical thinking to digest the information presented in totality MOO

5. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

Red Pine Distillery in Grand Forks switches from vodka to hand sanitizer

Seim plans to sell some of the sanitizer to the public for a donation -- people pay what they want -- to cover the cost of making it. A small bottle for individual use should run about $1 or $2, while the one-gallon jugs cost about $20. He is also working out how to allow people to stop by the distillery and refill their bottles.

He won’t sell it all. In fact, he intends to give it away to places that need it the most.

Red Pine Distillery in Grand Forks switches from vodka to hand sanitizer | Grand Forks Herald

6. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

There is a tremendous amount of confusion and plain old ignorance on the part of so many people---and might i add lack of common sense as in the situation you describe. sigh

SuziQ, Really?, CeeCeeCat and 3 others like this.
  7. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

UN Chief Virtual Press Briefing on the Global Ceasefire Report (3 April 2020)

LeeAnnB, Bailey38, Really? and 3 others like this.
  8. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

My great state of VA is going to host the president's golf outing with emergency rental of 30 golf carts.
    God bless us all

9. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

The US is the third epicentre for the virus. The US, with a population of 330 million, sent 17T of supplies to China. Canada, with a population of 37 million, sent 16T of supplies. I don't think sending supplies to the first epicentre is the reason that the US is the third epicentre, or the reason for an urgent need for supplies.

We have known for a long time now that physical distancing is the only way to stop the virus. Any country that delays in implementing this distancing is going to be an epicentre. Any country that reverses physical distancing during the pandemic is going to have a surge in infected people two weeks later.

Every country has a shortage of medical supplies. Hopefully all supplies arrive at their intended country going forward. Flattening the curve through social distancing is the best method to protect health care professionals.

Sunny123, Really?, LadyL and 3 others like this.
  11. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit Happy Halloween

12. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

13. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

You’re kidding? A presidential golf outing with 30 carts in the middle of all this?

LeeAnnB, Lynetta, Sunny123 and 6 others like this.
  14. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

I want to hug the LA Mayor!
    But I'll practice social distancing and just give a round of applause, LOL.
    We need more common sense like that from our leaders.
    Wear scarves. Wash them after every trip out and wash your hands frequently.
    Don't go out unless you absolutely have to.
    MOO.

15. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

Sundog Google "wet markets in China"

It is not a thing of the past and is disgusting.

Snoods, Sunny123, Springb16 and 4 others like this.
  16. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

17. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Are you feeling better?

I truly think there's a bit of burden on the general population to have the sense to cover their face. Us rednecks in Kentuckiana are being told locally to do so. Jmo

I don't think I have any scarves. Other than the "pull that hoodie up to your eyes" I think I have some old school tights and thin leggings I can sacrifice for the cause.

Gardener1850 and Tillicum like this.
  18. AStartoSteerBy

AStartoSteerBy Active Member

All good points to consider. There's been research on this subject since at least the SARS outbreak. Due to the wide variety of types and styles of masks, it's hard to get an evidence based answer. It will be very interesting to see results of continued research studies.
    In countries like China, it is more socially acceptable/understood that wearing of masks is to decrease the possibility of spreading illness.

(Note that this was published in 2013!)

Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an Influenza Pandemic? | Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness | Cambridge Core

Conclusion
    Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection. (Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1–6)

Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks
    a surgical mask filtered 89 percent of viral particles a tea towel blocked 72 percent, and a cotton T-shirt blocked 50 percent.**In general, thicker materials are better than thinner ones, Marr said, and a tight fit across the face is important. If people use makeshift masks, they should thoroughly wash them afterward.
    (BBM)

Good points for discussion!

Sunny123, Gardener1850, byo and 2 others like this.
  19. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I started a gardening thread :)

Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

20. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Thanks for posting, just adding a link to your story:

Secret Service signs $45,000 “emergency order” for golf carts: report

The Secret Service signed a $45,000 "emergency order" to rent golf carts at President Donald Trump's Virginia golf club on Monday, according to The Washington Post.

The agency signed a contract, which it described as an "emergency order," to rent 30 golf carts from a West Virginia-registered company called Capitol Golf Cars and Utility Vehicles from April 1 until the end of September, according to the report. The contract did not mention Trump but it "closely mirrors" previous contracts the agency signed before protecting the president at his New Jersey and Florida golf resorts.

Lynetta, LadyL, Gardener1850 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.