Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Leave the DRAMA take the cannoli

Relatives Wonder Why Pneumonia Deaths Not in Coronavirus Tally

Families describe discrepancies between information from doctors and death certificates

[​IMG]

That's the whole point. We know China's numbers are 40x's higher (by some estimates) than reported. We have 360 million they have one and a half billion. It's my opinion their numbers are higher than ours. China has people die in hospitals from the virus but only count it as pneumonia. China lies even by hospital counts.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    SuziQ, Lynetta, MajorHoople and 7 others like this.

2. sallye818

sallye818 Well-Known Member

@CeeCeeCat , may I just tell you again--your posts and gratitude lists are so encouraging to me! I know you are anxious and scared, but please know that you are brightening my day (and I'm sure many others') by your honest, yet uplifting posts here on WS. Thank you again. I really do smile when I see your name come through in my scrolling.

Snoods, byo, roche.analisa and 7 others like this.
  3. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

I just got back from my first shopping trip under lockdown. After being met with a long queue outside of about 15 standing a long way apart I got in the queue. The supermarket is only allowing in 50 people max so one comes out, one is let in. When you get to front of queue there was kitchen towel and spray cleaner to use on your trolley plus antibacterial gel for your hands and then you wait for the next person to come out and the store worker lets you in. Plenty of room to go around store and get what you need. Some people had scarves, only saw one guy with a mask like the ones workmen use when sanding wood. At the checkout there was hardly any queuing and no two lines were open only one line open every two checkouts. The cashiers had plexiglas up and were well protected. Even the till receipt came out from under the plexiglass and you pulled it out. I was pretty impressed. I put everything back into the trolley and boxed it up from the trolley into my car straight into my boxes that I had kept from shopping 12 days ago. After returning my trolley I went back to my car got in, and got one of my antibacterial wipes in my car to do my hands my car keys and the steering wheel for good measure, put key in and turned the ignition. Then I used same wipe to do the electric window button to open the window and clean the outside door handle, closed window partly up, stashed the used wipe in the cup holder, used a bit of my antibacterial gel for my hands and headed home. This was an Aldi store in the UK so big kudos to those staff.

4. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

China has fewer reported cases than other countries.

The countries have the resources for comprehensive tracking and are democracies where uhmm…. "creative statistics" are harder to maintain.

In short, I strongly suspect that China realized that the virus could not be contained and that they also lost the ability to comprehensively track the virus through out urban and rural areas of the vast country.

They then decided that they would not order comprehensive and near total economic shut downs (very few Chinese have a work from home option). The virus was left to burn itself out naturally and a certain death rate would be accepted.

MajorHoople, Snoods, Anirtak and 4 others like this.
  5. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

byo, KALI, Gardener1850 and 3 others like this.
  6. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

My post wasn't clear. I agree with you on the nature of these markets. I know they exist in some parts of China, particularly the south, but they exist because of the demands of an older generation who grew up on traditional medicine and other cultural customs. They are not embraced by more recent generations.

In a country with no human rights offered by the government, it is hard to get the government to focus on animal rights. But there are many people in China fighting for both, and trying to change these older cultural practices. I worked with some of the leaders of these groups in 2011 when they first began to organize, and brought back my two cats from China that were being sold on the streets. The work goes on.

LeeAnnB, MajorHoople, Anirtak and 7 others like this.
  7. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

That’s even more reason to ‘Buy American, Hire American’.

SuziQ, MajorHoople, Snoods and 9 others like this.
  8. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

hey just wanna say thanks for being on the frontline
    sending you hugs from Canada

9. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

I don't think they have enough masks for the emergency services and health services and that is why they are not telling everyone to mask up. If they tell people to wear home made masks, they may be worse if they get moist so they are not recommending it IMO. I took a scarf today but the majority were not wearing anything and I was not at close quarters to warrant pulling the scarf up in the end. AJMO.

Sunny123, xtrain, SeattleStew and 2 others like this.
  10. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Not enough prison officers once CV19 gets in the prison maybe? And they have to try to make some room to prevent the spread. I'm just guessing here.

sallye818 and Midgie2 like this.
  11. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Hampton Roads golf courses remain open after approval from governor

Despite the new statewide stay-at-home order due to the coronavirus pandemic, local golf courses are still open for business.

Gov. Ralph Northam’s executive order allows Virginians to venture out for food, medical care, essential work and exercise, including golf.

Secret Service signs $45,000 “emergency order” for golf carts: report

The golf carts were rented in Northern Virginia to protect a "dignitary" in the town of Sterling, which is where Trump National Golf Club Washington DC is located.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

DHgate sells surgical and N95 masks. Use the filter to find sellers with a good reputation and those that small small amounts, 20 pc or 50 pc. If you need help finding some you can also contact me through PM.

SeattleStew likes this.
  13. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

When I talk about supplies US send to China, I am not just talking about 17 tons of donated supplies. US companies were selling PPE to China at accelerated rate in the beginning of outbreak. We knew outbreak was coming to US, and US did nothing to stop companies to sell PPE to China. And now we have to make homemade masks out of old t-shirts.

"American companies sold more than $17.5 million worth of face masks, more than $13.6 million in surgical garments and more than $27.2 million in ventilators to China during the first two months of the year, far exceeding that of any other similar period in the past decade, according to the most recent foreign trade data available from the U.S. Census Bureau."
    US exports of masks, PPE to China surged in early phase of coronavirus

14. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

byo, Tillicum, Gardener1850 and 3 others like this.
  15. otto

otto Verified Expert

Indeed, most country's numbers are inaccurate. China managed to contain the outbreak primarily to Wuhan using strict measures that included dumping dirt on all roads in and out of the city. People were locked in their apartments to prevent them from spreading the virus. Wrist bands were issued weekly to allow one person from a family to shop once a week. The virus was handled very differently in China than in other parts of the world. China built new hospitals in 11 days. We don't see that anywhere else.

It doesn't really add up that China's numbers are significantly inaccurate given that the handling of the epidemic was drastically different than every other country.

Mo Thuairim, Cool Cats and LadyL like this.
  16. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

I placed an order on DH Gate for medical masks over a month ago. They were shipped but have been sitting in Shanghai for weeks now. At the time, a pack of 10 masks were $8 shipped.

Sunny123, Gardener1850, MsArk and 2 others like this.
  17. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

the animal agriculture industry in western countries is just as bad
    maybe this is the wake-up/shake-up the entire world needs about its horrid treatment of animals

LeeAnnB, Snoods, CrimeAway and 3 others like this.
  18. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

From the article you mentioned:
    "The governor said the prisoners were serving sentences for Class C and D felonies, the “two lowest-level felonies,” and none were convicted of violent or sex-related crimes. Certain felons were not eligible for this consideration, he said."

19. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

Thank you so much @sallye818 - that really means a lot to me ❤️

20. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

The 34% survival rate is pretty good. That is saving 1 in 3 people. The ventilated patients are the critical cases so if they can save a third that way, that is good IMO.

CrimeAway, KALI and sallye818 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.