Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this on the news it is shocking. I really hope and pray he will survive.
When it comes to the health of a world leader like this, there is generally a lot of secrecy involved. They do not take an announcement like this lightly.

One has to wonder if the situation isn’t just serious, but dire.

Detroit rep says hydroxychloroquine, Trump helped save her life amid COVID-19 fight

LANSING A Democratic state representative from Detroit is crediting hydroxychloroquine — and Republican President Donald Trump who touted the drug — for saving her in her battle with the coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.

"It was less than two hours" before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection. She is still experiencing headaches, she said.
<full article at link>

The article mentions the difficulty in getting accurate reporting. From the article...

While hospitalization data can offer a glimpse into the scope of the outbreak, many Texas counties do not report it.

Out of 23 Texas counties with more than 40 reported cases, about half publish hospitalization figures; 13 percent report the numbers of intensive care patients; and 13 percent report ventilator usage.

Neither Harris County nor the city of Houston publish updates on hospital-bed usage. Mayor Sylvester Turner said the city plans to begin releasing figures on hospital bed capacity on Monday.

In San Antonio, city officials said they didn’t know how many patients were on ventilators and, until recently, didn’t know how many had been hospitalized.

LA doctor seeing success with hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19

".... Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication. ...."

Very interesting interview, using zinc with hydroxychloroquine and having some success. Would be good to know/understand how zinc helps, I know that it stops the COVID-19 virus from replicating.

Wonder if it will get up to 2019-2019 season flu levels of "an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths"

2017–2018 United States flu season - Wikipedia

It's projected to do so, at least in terms of deaths. Fewer hospitalizations, I think, due to social distancing and self quarantine.

About 86,000 deaths projected for the US (lower than originally estimated). A lot depends on what happens in the remaining states that aren't asking people to stay at home. So, what we're doing is working (original estimates from medical sources were as high as 200,000).

When it comes to the health of a world leader like this, there is generally a lot of secrecy involved. They do not take an announcement like this lightly.

Yes, it made me wonder if the message from the Queen was timed with this leader's illness in mind.

A weak spot.

Scripps Research finds 'possible Achilles heel' in the coronavirus

"Scripps Research in La Jolla reported on Friday that there appears to be a specific area of the coronavirus that could be targeted with drugs and other therapies, a finding that also could help with the development of a vaccine."

and

"Scripps Research also will search for antibodies that do a better job of latching onto the vulnerable region of the virus."

"The institute is seeking the public’s help. Researchers are looking for COVID-19 survivors who would be willing to donate some of their blood, which would then be screened for potentially useful antibodies."

BBM

My thoughts, as well.

Sometimes its easier to release information is stages. When I heard the news of hospitalization to provide oxygen, I saw a red flag. Oxygen use at home is pretty common, even in England.

I do think the Queens message was timed to coincide with his health.

Yes, it made me wonder if the message from the Queen was timed with this leader's illness in mind.

Doubtful, as the Queen recorded it last week, Boris was still running the country while in isolation and clapping the NHS from his doorstep on Thursday night. I think it was Friday when he released a video update (though I admit I've totally lost track of time scales!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288